Start by marking “Baxter's Requiem” as Want to Read:
Baxter's Requiem

Baxter's Requiem

Let me tell you a story, about a man I knew, and a man I know...

Mr Baxter is ninety-four years old when he falls down his staircase and grudgily finds himself resident at Melrose Gardens Retirement Home.

Published September 6th 2018 by Corsair

To ask other readers questions about Baxter's Requiem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baxter's Requiem

Karen Mace
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Be still, my beating heart!! I ADORED this beautiful and touching book from start to finish! It is one of those books that is such a simple story but full of so many important and emotional messages that you can't help but take these characters to heart and embrace the friendships made in the most unlikely of places.

Baxter is a grumpy old man! He doesn't want to be living in the care home but time has forced him to, and he'll let everyone know he's not happy about it while he's there! He's 94, a
Rosanna Threakall
Once again Matthew Crow has broke my heart into a million pieces.
Anne
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was delighted to hear that Crow had published Baxter's Requiem, it seems like a very long time since I've read him. I have not been disappointed. Yet again, this young talented author has stolen my heart, taken my breath away, and left me in tears. This is a truly exquisite story, and I've already cleared a space on my shelf, this one is not leaving the house!

Mr Baxter is ninety-four years old. He has all of his faculties intact, he's bright and funny, and dry witted. He's also fallen down the
Rosemary Standeven
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely feel-good story about an elderly gentleman, Baxter, nearing the end of his life, and a young lad, Greg, just embarking on his. Each has suffered the painful loss of a much loved person, who died well before their time. For Baxter, it was the love of his life, who died during WWII. For Greg it was his younger brother, who committed suicide.
They meet at the Melrose Gardens Retirement home, where Baxter is a rather unwilling inmate (‘It’s like practising being dead and paying for
Lainy
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Time taken to read - 1 day

Pages - 248

Publisher - Corsair

Source - Review copy

Blurb from Goodreads

Let me tell you a story, about a man I knew, and a man I know...

Baxter is many things - raconteur, retired music teacher, rabble-rouser, bon viveur - but 'good patient' he is not. He had every intention of living his twilight years with wine, music and revelry; n
Yvonne
What a stunning book Baxter’s Requiem is! Meeting the character that is Baxter was memorable. A grumpy old man on the outside but with a wonderful wit and a huge heart on the inside! Greg is again another wonderful character, he is quiet and withdrawn in an almost moody way. With over 70 years separating these two there are bound to be differences but, actually not that many!

Both Greg and Baxter have personal stories in them. They are kept close and they almost protect them from the outside worl
Paola
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
The story was appealing enough: the budding friendship between Baxter, a ninety-something man in residential care, and Greg, an eighteen year old who works at the home. Although the ‘odd friendship’ between an old man and a younger person is nothing new, it was an interesting enough premise to draw me to this book.

The friendship storyline is charming, and so is Baxter’s backstory, which set in the past; but these two strands get lost in a pointless present-days side story that doesn’t do anythi
Karen Barber
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you to publishers and NetGalley for providing me with access to this. A heartwarming tale of friendship, love and loss that had me laughing and crying in equal measure.
Baxter is a querulous 94 year old, argumentative on occasion but with a keen interest in those around him. Greg is 19 and beaten by his younger brother’s suicide. The two strike up an unlikely friendship, and so follows a charming story.
While Baxter is not immediately likeable, his heart is in the right place and as we come
Neil
I received a free copy via Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.

This is a nice mix of romance and general story.
Unfortunately it is very slow in places, but overall quite enjoyable.
Hayley
Mr Baxter is 94 years old and not happy to be a resident at Melrose Gardens Retirement Home. Greg is 19 and ends up working at the care home where he meets Baxter. Initially it doesn’t seem possible that a directionless young adult and forthright Baxter would get along but somehow they forge a connection.

I started reading this after lunch one day and I literally didn’t put it down until I’d turned the last page later on that afternoon. I was pulled into this story from the opening pages and I ju
Rochelle
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous book, loved it
sarahreid
A charming story about a gent in his 90s becoming friends with a boy of 19. Both are dealing with issues and the story is well written. Bit slow in places but an easy read. I just felt the ending was a bit abrupt and would have liked to know what became of the characters.
Karen Cole
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A few years ago I lost my brother suddenly, it was a cataclysmic shock and in the dark weeks and months that followed books became my lifeline, allowing me some respite from the raw grief tearing at my heart. How I wish Baxter's Requiem had been published at the time because this wonderful book touched my heart so deeply in the way only the very best stories can.
I could very readily empathise with Greg's loss and at just nineteen it's hardly surprising that he has been left floundering. His grie
Julie
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

An old love, a recent tragedy, and such wonderful characters that I would love to meet, this is a book that made me laugh and cry. Baxter’s determination, his mischief and back story is a tremendous achievement in a relatively short read. The other characters; the distraught Greg, the cheeky Ramila, the sensible Suzanne all combine to give an alternative lifestyle for Baxter, but his memories and the wonderful Winnie keep his determination going. Baxter is an unstoppable force, yet there is such
Kathryn
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Baxter’s Requiem piqued my interest with its cross-generational friendship and an elderly hero unwilling to give up on life just yet. I’m quite partial to both of these in fiction as much as in real life.

I have to admit that it took me a little while to warm to Baxter, simply because while he is chafing away at being in the home, he is loud and rambunctious. I liked him a whole lot better, as I learned more of his backstory, which I found incredibly touching. I admired his attitude towards life
Breakaway Reviewers
Oh! What a pure delight. Perfect Read.

Mr Baxter is ninety-four-years old and has been forced to move into the Melrose Gardens Retirement Home. This is not to his liking. His independence curbed and rules and timetables to govern his day, can he survive in this environment?

Greg Cullock is eighteen-years old. Thrown out of school, after trying to defend his deceased brother’s character, he has reluctantly become a member of staff at the Retirement Home. He’s a broken soul. He has a lousy relations
Kath
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a wonderful story. I remember whist reading it that I thought there really wasn't too much going on but, by the time I finished it and sat back and pondered on what I had just read, I realised that there was so much more to the story than on face value.
Baxter has been pretty much forced into moving into a home. He is not really happy with this decision and initially tries to push boundaries as he rocks the boat. But then he gets to know one of the employees, Greg, a young man who is
Rosie
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
Firstly, I want to say thank you to the publishers who kindly gave me a copy of this novel to review.

This novel follows 94-years-young Mr. Baxter, who has been told he has a year to live and is move from his house into a Home. Whilst Baxter is there trying to keep living his life, he meets teenage Greg, who is merely surviving. Baxter takes it upon himself to ensure his last adventure is the first of many for Greg.

I adored Baxter and Greg, not only were they a great duo but they also worked well
Adele
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Baxter's Requiem is a precious story, one that needed to be told and one that I won't forget in a long time. This is my first introduction to the work of Matthew Crow and I couldn't get enough of the story and I wanted to continue with the characters journeys.
I fell in love with Baxter, a cantankerous old man who had so much spark and spirit within him. Baxter had been given a stark warning by his Dr and Baxter knew that it was time to put his mission into action. A mission that he's planned for
Katy Noyes
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A warm story about love, loss and finding your way back.

Greg's brother has committed suicide. He's given up on life now, ending up in a care home job, living with his subsisting father and grieving. One bright spark in his life is the nonagenarian Baxter, a former music teacher and distinctly sharp resident keen to both help the young man and put to rest a grieving from his own past.

We weave in and out of the present as Baxter's history is presented to us, and see its effect on Greg as he uses
George Hebenton
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book does something special - gives a voice to what seems just another crotchety old gent... we so often forget that generation were just as vital and vigorous as ourselves once. And their hearts ached and went through traumas many of us (hopefully) will never see in wars and separation from loved ones. And in these days of LBQT+ it’s timely to remember that we didn’t always have it so good and it took incredible bravery to live any sort of fulfilling gay life. So thats some of Baxter’s sto ...more
Nicki Southwell
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-reviews
This is a heart warming story with wonderful characters. Baxter, a 94-year-old man, has to go and live in Melrose Gardens Retirement Home, after a fall down the stairs at his own home.

Despite his age, he is not willing to give up living just yet and comes somewhat of a maverick., pushing the boundaries. He befriends Greg, a young man with many troubles, who works at the home. They make an odd couple.

Long-lost love Thomas is at the forefront of Baxter's mind and he wants to take a trip to Norther
Pamela Scott
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I really enjoyed Baxter’s Requiem. This is a lovely story about an unexpected friendship that blossoms between an old man nearing the end of his life and a young man with his whole life ahead of him. This book reminds me of the work of Rachel Joyce. The odd companions are brought together because they have suffered the painful loss of someone who died before their time. I thought Baxter was a great character, a lovely man who just wants to help. Greg is tr
Susan
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the lead character, Baxter who was quirky, grumpy, funny and yet caring and quite emotional too.

It kind of reminded me of "A Man called Ove" who was also grumpy but ended up being a really nice character.

Baxter was wealthy and had a lovely home but after a fall ended up in a Nursing home which was not at all how he wanted to spend his last few years. He had had a few really close friends and Thomas who he loved and lost.

Baxter befriends a young man, Greg who has a pretty miserable
Susan Foulkes
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful book this is, so much so that I read it in one sitting, and found myself with tears rolling down my cheeks at the end.

It is, on the surface, the story of an unlikely friendship between Baxter, 94 years old and in a nursing home as the result of a fall, and Greg, 18 years old, mired in grief, and one of Baxter's carers.

But it is so much more....it tells of finding love in unexpected places, of dealing with grief, of honouring the dead, of being "different", of choosing to live w
ѦѺ™
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
In general, I liked the story yet it took me more than a month to finish it.
I did find Baxter, the MC, charming though. His past was as colorful and dramatic as his personality. Greg, one the other hand, whom Baxter befriends and sort of takes under his wing, was a puzzle within a puzzle. Even by the end of the book, I still had no clear idea of what he really wanted to do with his life despite some shifts in his perspective.
The trip to Paris, the events that transpired there and its aftermath
Craig Cornforth
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stunning. Just finished this in the bath and I’m lying here smiling & tearful in equal amounts, a beautiful book, the juxtaposition of Greg and Baxter is sublime, the heartache of the love story when hopping back and forth in time is simply wonderful. I didn’t want it to end, and when it did wanted someone to hug. A book that deserves much larger success. I absolutely loved it and every marvellously crafted character in it. Do yourself a favour.. read this book, even if for just the time you ...more
Elizabeth Grieve
A charming tale of an unlikely friendship which develops between 94 year old Baxter, living in a retirement home, and 18 year old Greg who works there as a carer. Each has suffered the loss of a loved one, and their developing friendship blossoms when Baxter persuades Greg to accompany him to France. It's heartwarming to see Greg blooming in confidence, away from his uncaring father, and I enjoyed this.
Thanks to the publisher for a review copy.
Alexa
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book - so moving and funny in equal measure. The story of the late life adventures of Baxter and his new young friend Greg kept me turning pages as we learned of the past of both these men and joined with them as they dealt with their experiences in order to live in the present and step forward into the future. Many thanks to NetGalley for the advance copy of this book.
Eric
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Undoubtedly one of my favourite books of 2018.

This is a poignant but triumphant celebration of love and loss and the redeeming nature of friendships both long-standing and newly-formed.

Well-crafted, with humorous and lump-in-the- throat moments.

Why not 4.5 or 5 stars? Mainly because I wanted more of Gregory and Michael and Baxter and Thomas and less of Ramila who added nothing of importance.

Highly recommended
Matthew was born and raised in Newcastle and began freelancing for newspapers and magazines whilst still at school, writing about the arts and pop culture.

He has written four novels, Ashes and My Dearest Jonah - the second of which was nominated for the Dylan Thomas Prize for Literature - and one book for young adults, In Bloom, which was nominated for the Carnegie Medal and the North East Teen Bo
“He had learned to work around his grief as best he could. After the war his agony was just another voice in the wail of loss which echoed for years afterwards. But just because the world aches it does not dilute your own sorrows, and the pain Baxter had felt in those empty years, when the world was rebuilt on a flimsy foundation of rubble and gaping holes, had been hard conquered.” 0 likes