Start by marking “Light Magic for Dark Times: More than 100 Spells, Rituals, and Practices for Coping in a Crisis” as Want to Read:

Best Books of 2018, Entropy Magazine
2018 Hit List, The Tarot Lady
The ultimate collection of self-care practices and rituals for illumination, resiliency, self-care, and inner magic, Light Magic for Dark Times offers a modern, compassionate & magical map toward illumination.

Luna Luna Magazine's Lisa Marie Basile shares spellsrituals, and practices,
Published September 11th 2018 by Fair Winds Press
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about Light Magic for Dark Times, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Light Magic for Dark Times

Start your review of Light Magic for Dark Times: More than 100 Spells, Rituals, and Practices for Coping in a Crisis
Dannii Elle
I had been looking for a book focusing on this topic for some time, but as a novice in the field I had not found one both simplistic but illuminating enough for my needs. This beautiful little volume, however, delivered everything I required.

This began with an introduction to spellwork that was both simple yet instructive and gave me all the basis I needed to continue and practise the spells detailed for myself. The spells themselves were simple to carry out and focused on a disparate series of
Sosanna Olson
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Today I'm reviewing Light Magic for Dark Times by Lisa Marie Basile, founder of Luna Luna Magazine.

This is a pretty solid book from a binding perspective. Even without a dust jacket the color and printing are vibrant and easy to read. The cover is great and the author not only added my favorite bit, an index but arranged the chapters by subject. This makes it a great to use as a reference book, which in my opinion is what all spell/ritual books are. The only thing that would make this a bit
Literary Soirée
Not realizing the true focus of this book when I requested it, I feel a bit out to sea in terms of doing a review in my own words. So I will quote the Publishers Note here, while granting LIGHT MAGIC FOR DARK DAYS a 5/5.

Light Magic for Dark Times offers inspired, easy-to-do spells to be cast when your world is descending into chaos and darkness, or to help prevent it.

Having a hard time finding that light? Need to manifest strength or conviction in the face of trauma and division? Want to send
Haliation
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really quick and dirty review: This is honestly one of the best "spell books" I have ever read. I tend to not buy spell books anymore, but this is right full of relevant, accessible rituals and I'm thrilled to add it to my collection.
I really look forward to more from Lisa Marie Basile.
Lisa Bates
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a feel good book and its very authentic. It allowed me to step down away from my rigid perception of what makes a witch and broke open the self loving pamper me witch who is a real person who is investing the same amount of energy into conducting her rites as someone who needs a rats tail. She is young, she is knowledgeable and navigating the health and beauty department with increased zeal. Her interest are cropping up in the grocery store: aroma therapy, essential oils, rose water, all ...more
Mrs. Europaea
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
The self-loving ritual is worth the purchase by itself.

This book has a specific audience and that's okay. The way Basile expresses herself through her guidance and suggestions will soothe the mind, body and spirit. This is not some teenage girl wanting to mimic The Craft asking you to call on the elements with your coven to summon the Devil, this author is grounded and practical offering advice on how to use certain materials to process, heal, and transform your trauma into positive energy.
The Starry Library
Light Magic for Dark Times by Lisa Maria Basile is the modern-day witchs guide on magic. No there arent any spells for winning the lottery or making someone fall in love with you, but there are spells on how to empower yourselfin a confident and feminist way. What I most loved about this grimoire was that the spells all featured ways to alchemize negative emotions and states of mind into positive healthy vibes. I have never actually read a spell book that emphasized personal growth so this book ...more
Emryn
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The book is beautiful, both aesthetically and the purpose. It's a book for everyone who wants simple self help tips and tricks (self love, negativity, death, and more), and the author does not judge - you can customize the spells however you want, whatever works for you. I love the mindset of the author and it is what pulled me in the most. Witch or not, I think most people can take something from this book.
Marie
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
light Magic For Dark Times is an amazing book that explains how to do rituals, what to use and why. It is not a book on politics, thank goodness as many are. This book is about you and how to help yourself using different techniques. It has everything you need to write spells, cleanse yourself prior to rituals, loving yourself and working with candles, crystals, essential oils and so much more. Too many ways to write about them all. I brought so much away with me that I am so excited to try them ...more
Elspeth Anne
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Library copy. Want to own.
Encouraging and uplifting.
Amber
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The best spell book I've ever read (maybe because I'm going through some very dark times). easily organized, lots of spells, very realistic, forgiving spells.

Okay one complaint - this book is directed to women, but men could absolutely use this. There's no reason not to go ahead and open the language up, men have emotional needs to.
Joanna
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Its relatable and provides spellwork you dont often see. Theres a focus on that which is practical and constructive, but shes not afraid to explore the dark side. Also, Basile is a beautiful writer. ...more
Joanne
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fic, witchcraft, magic
Trigger/Content Warnings: This book discusses trauma generally, mentions sexual assault. Also mentions that some of the spells/rituals/practices could be triggering, such as shadow work.

I've seen Light Magic for Dark Times by Lisa Marie Basile mentioned online quite a few times, and so decided to check it out myself. I'm so glad I did; this book is fantastic!

Firstly, Basile makes it clear from the beginning that this book isn't aimed at witches - it's for everyone. Whether you consider yourself
Julia
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of spell book that I've been looking for!
You could call the spells and rituals that are presented here as "spiritual self care" - you will use crystals and herbs and candles but the book teaches that the real power lies within your intention.
I love the idea of conecting with the mythical to feel powerful and strong. This book treats magic as something serious - it's not one of those funny spell books that someone just came up with - it shows that magic is within everyone and
Julia
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
One of the most important facts about this book is stated in the introduction, this book is not about magic and witchcraft, this book is about self-care. And that is exactly what it is. There are rituals to ground you, rituals to promote self-love, to get comfortable with the idea of loss or even death, to make time for yourself, for your self-care, ...

It seems like there is a ritual for nearly every negative moment in your life. This book shall help you to focus your energy onto yourself or
Elin Karlsson
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow... This book was just what I needed right now. Its easy to follow and intersectional in the way its written and presented. Its full of beautiful magic of many kinds.
The spells and rituals have simple instructions (even though things like for example shadow work is anything but) and they can easily be modified to be more personal. Theres a lot of the rituals Ill definitely will be using!
Even if you dont identify as a witch this book is bomb, its full of meditations and rituals for self
Erin
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
Lisa Marie Basile is "more Wednesday Addams" than a cheerleader, and that's more than OK by me! While Lisa describes rituals to bring lightness back into your stressed-out life, she knows that sometimes you have to walk that dark tunnel to emerge on the other side.

The spells and rituals are perfect for kitchen witches and people looking for a new way to frame their problems and find solutions. That's how I've always used my tarot cards: to find a new vocabulary to describe my situation.

Anyway, I
Beth
This is a neat book full of different ways to help, heal and honor yourself and others. Using everything from meditation and journaling to symbolic tokens and drawings, Lisa Marie Basile demonstrates how setting intentions, facing things head-on, deciding on a course of action and following through, and using creativity and imagination can help us let go of and/or invite various things into our lives. Love it!

*Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC, provided by the author and/or the publisher in
Daniel Casey
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Mysticism is a path of deep study often traveled alone. To have Light Magic for Dark Times accompany you not only mitigates the lonesomeness but returns vigor to the journey. It is one of many ways to heal yourself from emotional and physical harm, to make yourself better.

Read Full review: https://misanthropester.com/2018/09/0...
Heather D.
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book for witchy self care! Get it for yourself or it makes a great gift for any magical people in your life.
Lauren DePino
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I believe that magicthat electric force within us and nature and the cosmoscan help us create a life that is nourishing and resilient.

Those who know me know I grew up as a student of the tarot. My mother read and still reads my cards. When I was 7, she bestowed to me a Universal Waite deck and I still use it. I often get hunches or feelings about things, and Im not afraid to voice them. I also send people spells, in a senseif someone is suffering, I choose a specific vision of them and imagine
Weslyn
This book is easy to read and comprehend and I highly recommend it. I am so grateful that Lisa mentions making all magic your own as well as making magic out of the mundane. Those are two aspects of witchcraft that are overlooked by a lot of people.

I dont see myself doing every spell in this book, but I think they are all useful and I definitely have a list of spells from the book that I intend to use in the near future. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in witchcraft no matter
Erin Khar
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful dive into the world of ritual as self-care. Necessary and helpful. Gorgeous and inspirational. It's one I will be buying for many friends!
SA
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly excellent. Highly recommended. I knew about a quarter of the way in that this was going to be a book I would buy shortly after I finished my library read of it -- and a purchase after a library read is always a hallmark of how significant a book is for me.
Rachel
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it! A wonderful, beautifully written book! I practically enjoyed doing the cup of lavender tea mediation. There are so many easy to do but beautifully described rituals which are perfect for self-care. Cant wait to read Lisas next book! ...more
Lord Beardsley
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This concise, well-thought and intersectional approach to witchcraft is essential reading.
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book! Reviewing for spiral nature online magazine.
Robyn
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wicca, on-loan, ebook
I liked this more than I expected. There was a lot of solid content in between the spells. The spells, rituals, and practices are well-oriented to the modern witch; theyre not elaborate and dont require expensive supplies. My largest complaint is that while it is directed toward all, this book is oriented toward women and femmes. As a more masc-of-center person, I felt that many of the self-care aspects werent for me. ...more
Candice
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this gorgeous little book. Part grimoire, part reference, part self reflection, this book provides practices and rituals with a non-gendered, trauma informed point of view. There's a whole section on word magic and the power of writing, which really spoke to me, as well as a section on connecting with your shadow self to overcome trauma. This book provides practices, spells, and rituals for everything from dealing with impostor syndrome to connecting with your younger self to ...more
Brynne
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful and inspiring book thats perfect for anyone who wants to get into witchcraft. ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Craft: How to Be a Modern Witch
  • The Witch's Book of Self-Care: Magical Ways to Pamper, Soothe, and Care for Your Body and Spirit
  • Witchery: Embrace the Witch Within
  • Waking the Witch: Reflections on Women, Magic, and Power
  • Enchantments: A Modern Witch's Guide to Self-Possession
  • The House Witch: Your Complete Guide to Creating a Magical Space with Rituals and Spells for Hearth and Home
  • Witch: Unleashed. Untamed. Unapologetic.
  • Witches, Sluts, Feminists: Conjuring the Sex Positive
  • The Door to Witchcraft: A New Witch's Guide to History, Traditions, & Modern-Day Spells
  • Basic Witches: How to Summon Success, Banish Drama, and Raise Hell with Your Coven
  • The Green Witch: Your Complete Guide to the Natural Magic of Herbs, Flowers, Essential Oils, and More
  • Initiated: Memoir of a Witch
  • Moonology: Working with the Magic of Lunar Cycles
  • HausMagick: Transform Your Home with Witchcraft
  • Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner
  • Weave the Liminal: Living Modern Traditional Witchcraft
  • You Were Born for This: Astrology for Radical Self-Acceptance and Living Your Purpose
  • The Spirit Almanac: A Modern Guide to Ancient Self-Care
Lisa Marie Basile is the founding creative director of Luna Luna Magazine, a popular magazine & digital community focused on literature, magical living, and identity.

She is the author of several books of poetry, as well as Light Magic for Dark Times, a modern collection of inspired rituals and daily practices, as well as The Magical Writing Grimoire: Use the Word as Your Wand for Magic,

News & Interviews