Start by marking “Grace and Fury (Grace and Fury, #1)” as Want to Read:
Grace and Fury (Grace and Fury, #1)

Grace and Fury

(Grace and Fury #1)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  5,994 ratings  ·  1,646 reviews
In a world where women have no rights, sisters Serina and Nomi Tessaro face two very different fates: one in the palace, the other in prison.

Serina has been groomed her whole life to become a Grace - someone to stand by the heir to the throne as a shining, subjugated example of the perfect woman. But when her headstrong and rebellious younger sister, Nomi, catches the heir
Hardcover, FairyLoot Edition, 310 pages
Published 2018 by Hodder Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Grace and Fury, please sign up.

·  5,994 ratings  ·  1,646 reviews

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
This book wasn't awful, but it was rushed and weird. The characters are stereotypical and dull. The plot is rushed and forced. There is zero depth to this book.

There's this world about which we know nothing in which women are chattel. They have no rights. They're not allowed to learn to read or write. They're limited to being wives, factory workers, servants, or Graces. A Grace is their king (the Superior)'s concubine, and three of them are chosen every year.

So you have the beautiful and perfect
Melanie

ARC provided by Little, Brown in exchange for an honest review.

“Serina and Nomi were like any other daughters in the cold, industrial town of Lanos. But Serina had her beauty. And Nomi had her secret.”

I didn’t know much about this book going in. I didn’t even read the synopsis. I only requested from NetGalley because a few of my best friends wanted to buddy read it with me. But I went into this story expecting nothing. And as I began reading, I was enjoying, but I wasn’t expecting anything g
Chelsea Humphrey
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-publisher
"For every woman who has been told to sit down and be quiet... And who stood up anyway."

It felt highly fitting to use the author's initial dedication to highlight the overall theme of Grace and Fury rather than a quote from the ARC, because GIRL POWER DUH. Seriously, this is feminist, Italian-inspired fantasy full of court intrigue, the bonds of family (both blood and chosen), and fighting for what is right and good in this world. We've encountered SO many YA fantasies featured in made up worlds
jessica
you know i love a good story about women supporting women. the book begins with the dedication ‘for every woman who has been told to sit down and be quiet… and who stood up anyway.’ and i knew it was going to be a decent feminist tale.

i really enjoyed seeing how both serina and nomi came to terms with their positions, even when it was the opposite of everything they ever wanted, and grew because of it. their strength to persevere is definitely the highlight of the story for me.

as far as critiq
C.G. Drews
Ohhh I am HERE for these plot twists! I can't even say how hard it is to find books that surprise me these days. (I read too much ok and I cannot stop.) And this had not one, but TWO, twists that had me smiling rather deviously. I mean, it's not a shock-your-socks-off twist but the kinds that make me go "Omgggg yes that is clever." HEART EYES.

It's also a huge love letter to women who refuse to be oppressed. And I adore that. I actually avoid books where the theme is "women are just objects to be
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Totally addictive fantasy read. I loved both of these Main characters so much, and admired their strength through such hardships. Wish I didn’t have to wait so long for book two haha.

P.S. I just read this for the second time and loved it even more than the first. It’s a really great story of survival, feminism and family (both by blood and found family). Love!
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
This book has been fairly hyped lately, mainly for its claims as a staunchly feminist YA fantasy. You guys already know I’m here for all the feminist reads, so I was pretty excited to pick this one up. When it comes to ARCs, I usually like to go in without knowing much about the story in advance, but a lot of my friends posted reviews for this book over the last week or so, so I had to peek—and found that I ended up agreeing with almost all of them.

“You must be as strong as this prison, as st

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I keep getting rude comments on my reviews of CHILDREN OF BLOOD AND BONE and GIRLS OF PAPER AND FIRE low-key implying that I hold white cis-het YA to different standards than I do LGBT+ YA or YA about PoCs. Now, I'm 99.9% sure I'm not a bigot, although that's probably not very convincing because bigots, like the spouses of cheaters, are often the last to know. But also, I consider myself an equal opportunity hater. Case in point, GRACE AND
Lola
I did not think I would finish this book—it recycles so much from previously written fantasy books that I was certain it would bore me to death.

But, to my surprise, it ended up not being too mediocre.

That’s mostly because of the character and story developments. Nomi and Serina are two sisters who were supposed to be together—Serina as a Grace and Nomi as her handmaiden—but Nomi was chosen by the crown prince as one of his girls instead of Serina, who was sent to die, basically.

When the sister
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

I'm just picking the real cover because I got two different covers from Fairyloot and Owlcrate and they are in the trade in box! And yes, the same book in the same month! Sigh! I might add the box pics later!

I told myself that after cancer treatment I wasn't going to waste time on books I'm not liking! I'm gonna start DNF'ing cuz time is short.

I'm happy for my friends that loved this and I'm glad I'm not the only one of my friends that didn't like it!!!

I reckon that's all folks. I just can't
Warda
Aug 05, 2018 added it
#BookTubeAthon Day 7, Book 6.
Challenge: Read a book with a beautiful spine.

I liked the overall message of this book. About women standing up for their rights and coming together whilst doing so.

The plot, however, felt flimsy to me. It’s only 310 pages, but I’m so tired of some of these books not having a concrete first book where the foundation is laid out properly, then built upon.

We barely knew much of the world where these women had their rights taken away.

It’s supposed to be a fantasy, y
Lena
*cinematic jaw-drop* Omg?????? Omg!!!!!!!! What just happened?????? What. In. The. Hell. Just. Happened??? I fucking adored this book and omg. I can’t function rn. What the fuckkkkkkkk!
Review to come while I try to recover from that wild cliffhanger ending...
――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――

Post-shock-review:

"You must be as strong as this prison, as strong as the stone and ocean that hems you in. You are brick and barbed wire. You are iron."

The Selection meets The Hunger G
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4.5 stars!

You know, I must be reading a different book from everyone else. Because while everyone hated this book, I ended up friggin loving it!! And I almost let a huge amount of negative reviews scare me away. I am so glad I gave this book a shot. Thanks Owlcrate! Would have never discovered it otherwise.

Grace and Fury is basically The Hunger Games meets The Handmaid's Tale. In a dystopian fantasy wor
chloe ✨
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads, arc

This is the first novel in a new feminist fantasy series, so of course I was so excited to read this book! Unfortunately I was a little disappointed. I did really enjoy reading it, but I did have a few problems. My main problems were with the writing style (a little too simplistic for my personal taste), and I didn't feel super invested in the story/any of the characters. I enjoyed reading about them, but did
Carrie
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grace and Fury by Tracy Banghart is the first book of the young adult fantasy Grace and Fury series. So yes, being the first book of a fantasy story this one will leave you with a cliffhanger to lead into the later books for the series.

I normally find the advertising descriptions in blurbs really far off the mark and wonder what they were thinking comparing one book to another but with this one I really can see the books mentioned, The Selection, Caravel and The Handmaid's Tale. It's as if the
Beth
What a way to complete my reading challenge for 2018!

I am in love. I need the second book now.

I'm not going to lie, I kind of predicted a lot of it, but it had so many elements of what I love in books, and there was so much GIRL POWER!

10s 10s 10s across the board!

Full RTC

Update... I hate myself that I never reviewed this 😩
Grace and Fury is a feminist fantasy that draws similarities to The Selection, The Belles, The Handmaid's Tale, Red Queen, and even The Valiant.

Set in a world where women don't have any rights, you are either a factory worker, servant, or you get married. It's even illegal for women to read. It's awful and infuriating. I wish we got more background as to how the world got to be this way. The world building is lacking a bit.

The one thing that can save you from an awful future, at least in S
Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net
Available to first 500 readers on Netgalley as of 5/8/18!

So glad I got a copy, can't wait to read it! I love fantasy with a strong feminist narrative.
Faith (BookSelf ~ You Are What You Read)
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Feminists and fans of The Selection, Maze Runner, Throne of Glass, and The Hunger Games
I received this eARC from Little, Brown Books for Young Readers on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of this book in any way.

I'm so unbelievably shook.

"It isn't a choice when you don't have the freedom to say no. A yes doesn't mean the same thing when it's the only answer you're allowed!"

Obligatory Summary

So, this is a hard book to really nail down. It's not fantasy, but it's not science fiction either, and it's not contemporary or historical fiction.
Georgina
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
✨4.5 stars✨
I really wasn’t expecting to love this book quite so much, and I’m so pleasantly surprised by how entirely captivated I was reading it. It’s not that I thought I wouldn’t like it, it's just that I couldn’t have predicted quite how much I truly do love it. This review will undoubtedly have spoilers sprinkled throughout so bewaaaaaare (nice one George, very well written).

Serina and Nomi are, at a first glance, complete opposites. Serina is on the road to becoming a Grace: Viridia’s per
Ellie
Grace and Fury is a wonderful mix of The Hunger Games and The Selection — In a world ruled by men, women are forbidden to read or even own books. Nomi Tessaro has rebelled and learned how to read from her brother, but she must keep it a secret. Serina chose not to break the law, knowing that her ultimate goal was to serve as a Grace to the Prince — a sort of wife/concubine role in the castle.

When Serina is chosen to compete to be one of the Prince’s Graces, her sister, Nomi, goes with her to ser
Elizabeth Sagan
3,5 stars

I hated it in the beginning (the first 3-4 chapters), but it got good really fast. The last 10 chapters ended in plot twists, so I could barely lift my eyes from the pages. A nice and short read and I'm actually eager to read the sequel(s?).
Jill McGill
Girl Power!!!

First, I want to start by saying that I truly didn't think I would love this book as much as I did. I am so glad I picked this one up to read, I was completely captivated!

What would you do if you lived in a world where women had no rights? Well, sisters Serina and Nomi live in that world and face that fate every single day: one in a palace, the other one in prison.

Serina Tessaro has been groomed her entire life to become a Grace - the perfect woman that stands by the heir to the th
Nadhira Satria
eh.

rtc

or never
Kelsey
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW! I can't believe I waited so long to read this book!

I was drawn in from page 1! I love the dynamics with the sisters. I was TERRIFIED that during the story they would start to hate each other or want to work against each other! I'm so glad they kept FIGHTING to get to each other.

I saw the twist coming from a mile away....but still, I love how it all played out. I love the way the girls adapt and learn to survive. At this point, I'm a fan of Serina.

And if anything happens to Val. I riot.

Book
Clemlucian (🏳️‍🌈the brooding witch)
"-In all the stories, women give up everything. We are always supposed to give. We are never supposed to fight. Why do you think that is?
-Because they're afraid of what will happen if we do."

Rating: 5/5 stars.

SYNOPSIS Where Nomi dreamed of rebellion and women's freedom, Serina is the realist who uses her physical charms to get a better future. Serina has been groomed her entire life to become a Grace, a part of the Prince Harem, and one of the most powerful women in her country. But it's rebelli
Caitlin
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5

OKAY WOW!! I bought this book on a whim because the cover was pretty and I needed a book to read on my train ride in a few days and holy SHIT. I predicted the plot twist but it made me even more excited because I loved it. Wow this was SUCH a good book.
Julie Zantopoulos
DNF

I’m not going to rate this. I got to page 129 but I just can’t finish this book. I am so frustrated with the characters, the plot, and the pacing. The world building is seriously lacking, the characters are so under developed, and the plot is a very clear mashup of books/stories I’ve already read without a unique twist to make it stand out. I’m sorry, I know this may end up being super feminist but as it stands, I have no desire to read a story about a world where women have absolutely no rig
♔ Jaela ♊ Killer ⚔ QUEEN
I just can't decide who was more stupid between these 2.
No character development (mentally). Things happened too fast. I just can't accept someone being good in fights only in 2 pages, I need to see and feel the proof.
Boring characters. Very superficial both "heroines".
I felt nothing while reading this book. 0-zero emotion.
I'm sure I'm not reading the next one. Done with this.
Joshee Kun (조수아)
In Viridia, women were oppressed because men were afraid of them.

In my honest opinion, Grace and Fury is the love child of a literary threesome (ménage à trois, if you want to sound fancy): The Handmaid's Tale, The Selection, and Red Queen. It seemed like the author selected tropes from each book and then tried to make them interesting—if not less disappointing—by integrating them into a story of sisterhood.

Serina is a demure and obedient girl who aims to be Viridia's princess by winning the hea
  • Catching Stars
  • Amber & Dusk
  • Sweet Black Waves (Sweet Black Waves #1)
  • Mirage (Mirage, #1)
  • State of Sorrow (Sorrow, #1)
  • As She Ascends (Fallen Isles, #2)
  • Beyond a Darkened Shore
  • Deception So Deadly (Deception So, #1)
  • Shadow of The Fox (Shadow of the Fox, #1)
  • Sanctuary (Sanctuary, #1)
  • The Caged Queen (Iskari, #2)
  • The Survival Game
  • The Devil Is a Gentleman (Niki Slobodian, #2)
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir, #1)
  • Heart of Thorns (Heart of Thorns, #1)
  • Give the Dark My Love (Give the Dark My Love, #1)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • Fire & Heist
Tracy Banghart grew up in rural Maryland and spent her summers on a remote island in northern Ontario. All of that isolation and lovely scenery gave her the time to read voraciously and the inspiration to write her own stories. Always a bit of a nomad, Tracy now travels the world Army-wife style with her husband, son, cat, and sweet pupper Scrabble.

Grace and Fury (2 books)
  • Queen of Ruin (Grace and Fury, #2)
“For every woman who has been told to sit down and be quiet... And who stood up anyway.” 32 likes
“Homesickness could be more painful than a bullet wound” 8 likes