Start by marking “Measures of Success: React Less, Lead Better, Improve More” as Want to Read:
Measures of Success: React Less, Lead Better, Improve More

Measures of Success: React Less, Lead Better, Improve More

STOP REACTING TO NOISE. START RESPONDING TO SIGNALS.
Measures of Success shows business leaders how.
A PRACTICAL GUIDE FOR HOW TO MANAGE YOUR METRICS

Organizations depend on metrics for their business. Question is, are they helping people do the right things? Or, encouraging them to overreact to every uptick, downturn, and change?

In other words, reacting to noise.
Published August 4th 2018 by Constancy, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Measures of Success, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Measures of Success

Start your review of Measures of Success: React Less, Lead Better, Improve More
Ronald J.
Sep 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Based on W. Edwards Deming’s work, among others, the author introduces “Process Behavior Charts,” which separates the “signal” from the “noise” in our metrics, and their main focus is improvement. He provides a free Excel file or Google Sheet to create your own. He lays out 10 Key points:

1. We don’t manage the metric; we manage the system that leads to the results and we lead the people who help us improve the system
2. Two data points are not a trend
3. No data have meaning apart from their conte
Lee Bryan
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The missing link in the adoption of scientific management

Mark has distilled the issue of variation in business systems into simple language, making it usable for anyone with basic excel skills. Avoiding the over complicated hyperbole of some works on this subject, he lays out an easy way to measure and manage business systems that concentrates precious improvement resources on the results that matter, not the noise in the system. It’s so simple in fact, that one of its main flaws is having staff
Mike Falconer
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When reading business books, the reader, hopefully, takes away some great new ideas. Or has a realization that they should double down on something they are already doing. Occasionally, one comes across a book that actually reframes what you do and how you do it.

Mark Graban’s last book, Lean Hospitals which I reviewed here, had that effect on me; it made me realize that as a manager, my strength is to focus on processes and work with my team to make processes work better. Now with his latest boo
Bob Wallner
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lean, metrics, kindle
I recently downloaded Measures of Success for a transatlantic flight. As a follower of the author’s blog, tweets and podcasts I was eager to read this book; however, as someone who has dedicated his life to manufacturing, I was skeptical that this would be heavily biased toward healthcare. Fortunately, the author does a very good job of balancing how these measurements can be used in any environment and he uses examples and case studies from multiple environments.

I came to the wisdom of Dr. Demi
Eric Walters
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book explains Process Behavior Charts in plain language, with many useful examples. Mark Graban successfully simplifies a topic that can be intimidating and confusing, and shows how to apply this powerful approach in plain language. He also stays true to the fundamentals of lean management throughout, encouraging readers to seek to understand the voice of the process. I highly recommend this book!
Matthew
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great dive into a better way to understand our metrics.

This book is a clear guide for understanding data. Too often we overreact to the data presented to us, rather than patiently listening to the data over time tells us. Thanks for the reminder and the framework of the PBC.
Kelly Pore
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Simple, practical guide to using data to manage processes. Case studies and how-tos help reinforce understanding. I took a lot of good tips to rethinking my approach when using data in my daily work.
Blake Merrell
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good followup to Understanding Variation

Piggy backs on Dr. Wheelers works. I enjoyed the case studies and learned about the red head game from this book.
Juan Carlos
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Bueno!

Me gusto la idea y te cambia la manera de pensar en medir cumplimiento de metas a mejoramiento continuo. Un poco repetitivo.
Jack Vinson
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Practical guide to #plotthedots

I’ve always been frustrated by numbers presented as “good” and “bad” in business and in the press. Mark Graban does a nice job of articulating a different way of thinking about and showing those numbers - they represent the underlying behavior of a system. And using this guidance, one can see how a given system is behaving.

And my blog with more: https://www.jackvinson.com/blog/2019/...
Ryan McCormack
May 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Process Behavior Charts are the prescription to treat wasteful management systems. Busy managers and supervisors universally lament the time wasted in meetings explaining numbers snd results that don’t require explanation. Measures of Success makes control charts accessible to the masses by simplifying the rules (reduces the Western Electric rules and Nelson’s rules to 3 simple rules) and simplifying the chart (no need for xbar, p, c, np, or u charts). I’ve been able to apply the techniques of t ...more
Cristina

• The Professional Chef
  • The Big Book of Stock Trading Strategies
  • Taiichi Ohno's Workplace Management
  • The Phoenix Project: A Novel About IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win
  • Creating Level Pull: A Lean Production System Improvement Guide For Production Control, Operations, And Engineering Professionals
  • The Infinite Game
  • The Lean Sensei
  • Boyfriend Material
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • Understanding Variation: The Key to Managing Chaos
  • Five ​Dark Fates (Three Dark Crowns, #4)
  • The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure
Mark Graban is a consultant, author, keynote speaker, and blogger in the world of “Lean Healthcare.” In June 2011, Mark joined the software company KaiNexus as their “Chief Improvement Officer,” to help further their mission of “making improvement easier” in healthcare organizations, while continuing his other consulting and speaking activities.

He is the author of the book Lean Hospitals: Improvin