Start by marking “The Switch House” as Want to Read:
The Switch House

The Switch House

CONGRATULATIONS! You've won a role on LET'S SWITCH HOUSES! Your life is going to change. We promise. Your dreams will come true. Everything you've ever wanted, we have it. This is a chance of a lifetime. Come inside. Switch with us.

Angela and Terry return home after several grueling months of filming the popular television show, LET'S SWITCH HOUSES!, only to find their
Published July 26th 2018 by Evil Epoch Press

To ask other readers questions about The Switch House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Switch House

Start your review of The Switch House
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Originally appeared in Scream mag! Nov/Dec issue 2018

Social media has been a huge game changer for me in terms of book recommendations. Before Twitter and Instagram, I was basically reading whatever the big publishers were putting in my face. Now, thanks to following indie, self-published authors, smaller publishers and other horror fans-- my want to read list has grown exponentially.
This is how I found The Switch House by Tim Meyer. Ill admit, the cover was so alluring to me, I would have
Janie C.
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Warning: this book is addictive.  I could not put it down. Its aftereffects are still lingering, and I am trying to figure out the best ways that the author can write a sequel.  Not that he is planning on going that route.  I just want more.

The novella focuses on a married couple who have experienced a mysterious tragedy in their past.  To help them move on with their lives, they appear on a reality tv show based on trading living spaces with another entrant.  It is obvious at the first viewing
Dan Schwent
After returning home from being on "Let's Switch Houses," nothing seems right in Angela and Terry's home, the least of which the void left by the death of their son. But when Angela begins seeing unsettling things, is she going crazy from grief or is it something more?

I saw Easy E talking this up on Twitter a while back and had a couple bucks in credit on the Big A so I pulled the trigger on it.

This was an entertaining haunted house tale. "Is Angela going insane or did the woman who lived in
Edward Lorn
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a pleasant and twisty surprise. I can't remember the last time I had this much trouble putting down a book that wasn't Big-Five branded. Tim Meyer is consistent and talented, two things I wish could be said about all Indies and small-press authors. Usually I'm bogged down by a multitude of errors (not just typos, kids, but a lack of knowledge regarding basic grammar and spelling) but not this time, and I feel that it's important to shine a light on the guys who actually give a ...more
Karl
This hardcover is signed by Tim Meyer.
Kimberly
4.5 stars!

THE SWITCH HOUSE, by Tim Meyer, originally caught my attention with the synopsis, but even then I didn't expect it to become such a compulsive read! The premise was a reality TV show called: LET'S SWITCH HOUSES! The contestants are usually chosen from those that are trying to move on from a tragedy of some sort--of course, the more extreme, the higher the ratings. Angela and her husband, Terry, are selected to switch houses with a Ms. Rosalyn Jeffries for two months of filming.

Angela
Michael Hicks
I try to approach each book I read with an open mind, but with the hopeful expectation that it will, at the very least, be a decent read. I want to let the author do their thing and then judge for myself how well their story worked for me. Overall, I think I'm pretty good about selecting titles that should work for me based on their synopsis. Sometimes I'm disappointed, sometimes I'm pleased. The best, though, is to discover a work, particularly from a new-to-me author, that proves itself to be ...more
Cody | CodysBookshelf
Thanks to the author for sending me a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Ive become disillusioned with indie horror as of late. The market is saturated with unedited tripe, stories that should have never been published in the first place. And most of it is uninspired Stephen King ripoffs. Agh!

Thats why I am happy The Switch House is good and pretty scary, too. I had a nice time with this. The main characters, Angela and Terry, and the tragedy in their past that is the
Richard
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, novellas
★★1/2
The concept here is a cool modern haunted house spin that follows a couple recovering from a family tragedy that decides to star on a house swap reality show for a few months and come back to discover that their house isn't quite right.
"Don't you see what she's doing? Don't you see what she did in our house?"
I appreciated the focus on the pain of loss and the effects of ignoring it. But, unfortunately, I found this to be pretty "meh." It was entertaining to read on a surface level but
Angel Gelique
After spending two months in the home of Rosalyn Jeffries as part of a house-swap reality show, Terry and Angela Shepard have just returned to their home in Red River, New Jersey. Though they're definitely not happy to be back. Angela, in particular, feels that the house has somehow been cursed. She suspects that Rosalyn might be a witch who placed some sort of hex upon her residence. She has been having extremely disturbing, vivid dreams and hallucinations. Sometimes she feels as though she's ...more
Latasha
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Creepy house!

This is a great short story! It's creepy as hell, the characters are good & crazy and it's hard to put down. Roselyn's history surprised and delighted me. I would definitely read more by this author.
Jeremy Hepler
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Switch House is a thrilling, suspenseful, plot-twisting ride. As well as creating relatable, sympathetic characters, Tim Meyer has a great handle on speeding up and slowing down the pace of Switch House at the perfect moments to keep the intrigue flowing and therefore the pages turning. This is the second book of his I've read, and from now on I'll read everything he churns out.
Glenn Rolfe
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a quick little number from Tim Meyer. and certainly worthy of your time.

Meyer delvers an odd, tragic, and mind-bending tale. From the loss of a child, to a realty TV show, to a place called, "The Everywhere", THE SWITCH HOUSE had me upside down. I couldn't tell what was going to happen next, and that's a great thing.

I definitely recommend this one to those of you looking for something different in your horror reads.

I give THE SWITCH HOUSE 4 stars!
Craig Wall
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Switch House was an intense fever dream of a story. I haven't been this creeped out by a horror book in quite some time. Well done, Mr. Meyer!
Frank
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I opened THE SWITCH HOUSE hoping to find fish. I like fish books. Its my thing. I read and read hoping to catch even a fleeting glimpse of a wriggling carp just below the surface. But Tim Meyer's THE SWITCH HOUSE offers only darkness, deceit and dastardly intents. There may (or may not) have been a goblin. There may (or may not) have been a cursed house. There was, without a doubt, a cast of disreputable characters. Trust no one, not even the fish.

I can say that THE SWITCH HOUSE, despite its
FanFiAddict
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
8.0/10

Thanks to the author for a listening copy of The Switch House for review consideration. This did not influence my thoughts or opinions.

The Switch House is a mind-bending, psychological thrill-ride that is Trading Spaces meets Silent Hill. The pacing alone is enough to have you speed-reading this short novel in a lunch hour or two, but trying to figure out where Tim is ultimately taking you is the icing on the cake that allows the pages of this novel to fly by.

It is a solid haunted house
Mindi
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished The Switch House last night, and with every turn of the page I was surprised and horrified. The night I started reading it I stopped at about the halfway point because it was getting rather late, and I genuinely started to freak myself out while I was laying there, trying to fall asleep in the dark. It's been a while since a book made my mind go to places dark enough to keep me awake at night, and I almost gave up trying to sleep so that I could finish it. Eventually I fell asleep ...more
Justin M.
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this creepy read and thought the audiobook was very well done! The story was a blend of Tremblay's HEAD FULL OF GHOSTS meets the film DRAG ME TO HELL with a little bit of ROSEMARY'S BABY thrown in for good measure. I'll be checking out more from Tim Meyer!
Steve Stred
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
***Edited as review is now live on Kendall Reviews***

This is my second go-around with one of Mr. Meyers releases (the first being KILL HILL CARNAGE) and all I can say is WOW! Tim is putting out some amazingly fun, gore-y, horror that will appeal to a wide scope of readers.

While the previously mentioned KILL HILL CARNAGE is a more straight-forward creature feature, The Switch House is that rare breed of horror; emotional.

This read has a straight forward premise a grieving husband and wife are
The Grim Reader
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tim Meyers The Switch House effectively mixes horror and reality television into a short, weird novel. Moving at a brisk pace with very little downtime, The Switch House is a fun slice of urban horror, one in which I made links to Hellraiser, Poltergeist and The Amityville Horror. Ill be honest, I do enjoy it when I make these connections and it seems Tim Meyer and I come from a similar place.

A house swap, a troubled marriage, a lost child; its a combustible situation, and one that erupts very
Emily
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"But I feel...jumbled. Out of place. Like the house is a puzzle and I'm the final piece that doesn't fit no matter how you spin me."

I loved The Switch House! I'm not going to say much in my review because I don't want to spoil anything. I was hooked from the beginning, and the whole book is atmospheric and creepy. There are some vivid descriptions in this book that were unsettling at times, and this is a new favorite book.

This book is heavier than I expected, and there's a lot packed into a
 Reading Reindeer
Review: THE SWITCH HOUSE by Tim Meyer

Tim Meyer rocks! THE SWITCH HOUSE is fabulous! So many twists in this story! I never knew "what was up," because every time I got a grasp (or thought I did), Mr. Meyer yanked the rug out from under me. I don't like to compare fiction to cinema, but THE SWITCH HOUSE is, in flavor and in its twistiness, Twin Peaks-ish. You won't space out nor relax throughout this short novel: it's hard-driving, hard-charging, gory, scary (yes, extreme), and what the author
Tim
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Switch House is a fun short novel by Tim Meyer. I really enjoyed reading this story. The end result of the plot was definitely very different from what my expectations were and I loved that. The main character was well developed and I felt invested in her fate. There were many twists and turns in the plot and I was definitely never sure what would happen next. The pace was fast and there was just enough gore. Overall I really loved this novel. I recommend it to all horror fans.
Alex findingmontauk1
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
5 stars!!! Loved it! Full review to come
Michael Sorbello
Aug 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: instagram, horror
The Switch House effectively captures the catastrophic consequences of running away from trauma and tragedy, letting it build up until you burst and hurt the ones closest to you. The first half of the book was very tense and emotional, but the second half devolved into what felt like a convoluted Rosemary's Baby knockoff. The second half certainly had a few interesting twists that I didn't see coming, but I felt like the book threw away a lot of the potential it established in the first half in ...more
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
3.5 Stars
I appreciated that this was not a traditional haunted house story. Instead, the horror was more psychological with the potential mental breakdown of the main character. Given the unreliable narrator angle, this is the kind of horror book that will appeal to people who normally read psychological thrillers.
Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)
I read The Switch House in a frenzy, all in one sitting, furiously flipping through the pages and sometimes having to stop, go back, and read it over again, thinking, what happened now? It can't be!

What a fabulously creepy little novella.

I do enjoy horror books with a domestic-perfection-gone-wrong element, especially when it swings into the realm of the unreliable narrator. This story is told from the perspective of Angela, who along with her husband, Terry, decided to participate on a reality
Acanthea Grimscythe | The Ghastly Grimoire
Wow! Talk about a fast-paced, no bull read! Tim Meyer really jumps right into the middle of a huge mess with his novella, The Switch House. Angela and Terry have had an unfortunate tragedy take place in their lives: the disappearance of a child. Aided by Angelas sudden onslaught of strange visions and nightmares, a rift forms between husband and wife and Angela is left to figure things out for herself.

Because this book is short, I cant go too far into detail without letting loose a spoiler or
R.J. Roles
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 This book is a trippy, fast paced ride that leads around by the neck, barely letting you take a gasp of air. I did this one on audible and the narrator was great. I also felt there may have been some influences from 80s horror movies sprinkled throughout. Overall a great read that I highly recommend.
Joe Zito
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm adding Tim Meyer to my ever growing list of favorite authors. This and Kill Hill Carnage did not disappoint. And the short stories thrown in as a bonus to The Switch House were quite the gems. Aperture....wow! More of that please.
« previous 1 3 next »
Books in the Freezer: The Switch House Thoughts 5 60 Aug 26, 2019 09:24AM
Horror Aficionados : August 2018 Group Read #2 with Guest Author, Tim Meyer 32 78 Sep 06, 2018 04:31AM

• The Siren and the Specter
  • The Pale White
  • Tamer Animals
  • Doorbells at Dusk
  • Something Borrowed, Something Blood-Soaked
Tim Meyer dwells in a dark cave near the Jersey Shore. He's an author, husband, father, podcast host, blogger, coffee connoisseur, beer enthusiast, and explorer of worlds. He writes horror, mysteries, science fiction, and thrillers, although he prefers to blur genres and let the story fall where it may.

You can follow Tim at https://timmeyerwrites.com

OR like his Facebook page here:

News & Interviews