Start by marking “Hilda and the Hidden People” as Want to Read:
Hilda and the Hidden People

Hilda and the Hidden People

(Hilda Tie-In #1)

Introducing the novel based on the Netflix animated series, Hilda, coming to screens in fall 2018.

Meet Hilda: explorer, adventurer, avid sketchbook-keeper and friend to almost every creature in the valley! Join our beloved heroine as she encounters her very first troll, negotiates peace with some very persnickety elves, and reunites two lovelorn ancient giants. Fantastic
Published September 4th 2018 by Flying Eye Books

To ask other readers questions about Hilda and the Hidden People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hilda and the Hidden People

Start your review of Hilda and the Hidden People
Pop Bop
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Collected Hits

There are at least five Hilda books. Each one comprises a complete story arc, but the six also establish a larger continuing story. If you think of those five books as "albums", then this new book is composed of various "tracks" from the first of them that have been arranged to tell the beginning of that overall story.

So, while the first Hilda book is about a rock troll, and the second Hilda book is about the Elf community around Hilda's home, this book just condenses those two
Mehsi
Read this book in Dutch, will write a review in English. This was a lot of fun!

I am giant big fan of the Hilda series. I read the graphic novels 2 times, saw the Netflix show twice, and was definitely eager to try out this book series as well. It was warned that it would be pretty much the same as the Netflix show, but I knew I wouldn't mind it. Anything to go back to Hilda's very interesting world of awesomeness.

In this one we follow the events of the first two episodes. We meet Hilda as she
Joana Nunes
Chris
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, done, 2018, ya
It was an ok kids fantasy story about a blue-haired girl named Hilda who discovers there's an awful lot of she wasn't aware of right outside her own house. It felt a little flat to me - from perusing the other reviews, I wonder if I'd find the original graphic novel more appealing?
McKinlay Dennis
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
*I received an ARC from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.*

This was so freakin cute! First of all, I would die for Twig. Also, i want a deer fox and I want one now. But I guess that's beside the point. This was a really cute story mostly about how humans kinda suck. At least that's what I took from it. Highly recommend to adults that like MG books. And to basically all kids and tweens. Hilda is fun, and brave, and kind. I seriously cannot wait for the Netflix show!
Tess (Book_Voyage)
I absolutely love Hilda's adventures! They're always so cute and action packed. I am always excited to see where her curiosity will lead her and her friends next. However, this book was a bit repetitive to the show. I much preferred watching the show to reading the book. Especially because you'd have to wait a long time for the second novel to come out. Whereas, you can watch all the episodes that are currently out, which go way beyond the book. I will definitely be reading the comic next ...more
Brad Mills
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
I read this to my 8 year old daughter and we fell in love with the series. It's so great, such a good compliment to the Netflix show.

The art is unique, the fantasy world that the author built up is engaging & the storylines teach great lessons on being unique, standing up for yourself, going on adventures and being honest.

Such a great series.
Kirsten
This is a chapter book tie-in with the Netflix cartoon, which is itself based on the series of graphic novels by Luke Pearson. The text is great -- laugh out loud funny in parts -- and liberally illustrated with Pearson's awesome art. All of this makes it a cut above your typical "based on the TV show" book.
Lily
Dec 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, children-s, fantasy
Really cute, but takes some of the whimsy, visual wonder, and humour away through being pretty sparse in the writing - these stories and characters definitely work better in the graphic novel/animation formats.
Becca
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved this. Set in a forest full of wonders like giants and trolls.
Doesn't overly sugarcoat and is high on adventures. More please.
Rachel
Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute early-middle grade story. Hilda is endearing, the story is fast-paced and engaging, and there are lots of fabulous nods to all kinds of folk creatures. Quick, sweet read.
WhatBookNext .com
Hilda lives in a magical valley inhabited by trolls, deer-fox (half deer, half fox), little wooden men and giants. She has managed to live there happily with her mum for her entire life. But lately they have been receiving messages telling them they must leave their valley.

They ignore these notes to their peril and are soon attacked! Hilda manages to save them with a broom and some determination, but soon learns why her and her mum are a problem in the valley.

She meets even more magical
Sim
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-owned
Just as adorable as the netflix series!
(I wish netflix wouldn't feel the need to put their stamp on the front of beautiful covers though)
Jill Jemmett
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a cute middle grade story.

Hilda and her mom are going to be kicked out of their house by the invisible elves that live in front of it. The elves can become visible if you sign a form to see them (the elves love forms). Hilda must travel to see the elf Prime Minister and elf king to save her home.

Hilda learns a lot about her homeland throughout the story. It is a land with elves and giants shaped like mountains. There are also trolls that can be scared off by bells. But Hilda realizes
Kendall Ball
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I absolutely adore Hilda and her world and could not be more excited about the Netflix adaptation of the graphic novels and these transitional chapter book tie-ins!! I was nervous about this chapter book adaptation because the graphic novels are so vivid and wonderful, but this book does justice to its source material. It's very descriptive and the illustrations add some of the imagination that is readily available in the GN format. I love it. It would make for a great chapter book to read aloud ...more
Emily
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, j-fiction
Hilda is such an inspiring adventurer!
This book is a prose retelling of the first two Hilda comics, Hildafolk and Hilda and the Midnight Giant. A fun, quick read with the same adventuring and humorous spirit as the first editions.

I am so excited for this show to come out and am reminded that I need to read these comics again and again.

Advanced Reading Copy provided by Netgalley.
Al
This was a fun, quick read, but it lacked the subtlety and heart of the graphic novels. For people introduced to Hilda by the Netflix series or as a starting off point, this might not be a bad start, but going from the graphic novels to this book, it was something of a disappointment.
Rhyllis Bignell
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, junior-novel
Hilda is a popular graphic novel character, she’s a blue-haired adventurer who loves to sketch the world around her, a valley and mountains filled with trolls, elves and woodland creatures. This novel is a retelling of the first Hilda comics, Hildafolk and Hilda and the Midnight Giant. With the release of the Netflix shows based on this series, British author Stephen Davies was chosen to write tie-in chapter books. Seaerra Miller the illustrator closely follows Hilda’s original creator Luke ...more
Suzanne
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-kid-lit, netgalley
Hilda has been seen in graphic novels and now in a Netflix show, so her story is also appearing in tie-in chapter books. In this first title, Hilda is a curious blue-haired girl who decides to go out into the countryside and sketch pictures of rocks. But she spends the day hiking around and drawing different rock formations. Then she comes across one that she is sure is actually a troll turned to stone in the sunlight. On her way home, she comes across the footprints of a giant. There are ...more
Kelsey
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
A whimsical story about an adventurous
and curious young girl, Hilda and the Hidden People features an assortment of magical creature and a surprising amount of paperwork.

When Hilda and her mother are faced with tiny eviction notices and beseiged by even smaller projectiles, Hilda, afraid of having to move away from her childhood home, signs a contract with an elf and discovers a previously-invisible world of creatures all around her. Determined to stop the eviction, Hilda's strengths come from
Barb Dixon Palmieri
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-readers
I received a copy of the book from Nobrow press. Hilda will be released as a Netflix show in September.

Hilda is a very adventurous little lady. She lives with her mom and her deer fox (who is NOT her pet). In this first book, Hilda helps a troll, reunites two ancient giants, *sees* the elves (or hidden people) and saves her home (for a bit). She doesn't want to move to Trolberg and may not have to because she makes peace with the elves. At the end (I won't say what happened) she will start her
Mari Johnston
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn’t love this as much as the Netflix show, but it was still endearing! A trait that I really loved about Hilda from the show was how inherently kind she was, and unfortunately she seemed to be missing that in this novelization. She was still full of spunk, but not nearly as kind, and therefore didn’t feel entirely like Hilda. I also missed how supportive her mom was in the show. There weren’t many appearances of Hilda’s mother, but every time she popped up she seemed to be criticizing ...more
Jess
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A cute middle grade story that follows Hilda, a daringly adventurous girl who loves art and sketching. I love how the story moves quickly and doesn't stall long enough to go stagnant. I also enjoy how you're introduced to all kinds of folk creatures. Because she draws and because some of her adventures are outlandish with outrageous characters, it feels as if you're living inside of her head and her imagination. Reminds me of when I was a little girl and was constantly playing through story ...more
Diana
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet book that follows the first couple of Hilda(folk) graphic novels by Luke Pearson, and I’m assuming the embellishments in the first couple of episodes of the animated series (Netflix, Sept. 21, 2018). The novel writing is very sparse and very much a play-by-play, feeling suited more for a younger readership (8 & younger) than typical middle grade (8-12). That being said it was enjoyable and quick because I already love the graphic novel series. And it was tender at the end and tugged in ...more
Ben Biddle
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Having read the graphic novel and watched the Netflix series, this book is an excellent compliment. The story remains the same with all the same outcomes, but the little ways of telling it change subtly with each medium. Luke Pearson really understands the unique qualities each vehicle for the story can emphasize.
Berslon Pank
Oct 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
So there are a bunch of Hilda comic books and there is a Hilda show and now there is this thing which just feels like some commercialization/cash grab and left me very disappointed. I didn't need the same stories again in a different form. Read the comic books because they are much better. Watch the show because the original stories are good even if the animation doesn't look that great. But you can skip this book. Ugh.
Andy
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hilda is one dope character. This is a novelization of the comic, and possibly based off the show on Netflix (which is really good), and it’s a worthwhile version of the story. This book is well written and the story is definitely a fun one. Cool characters (the Wood Man is the best) and a positive, adventurer take for all readers. Highly recommended. Especially for the uninitiated.
Book Bazaar
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Our younger group read the cute adventure novel Hilda and the Hidden People. We enjoyed the elves, the humour and the delightful Twig. The book has been made into a netflix series that some of the kids had seen.

Only 1 member didn't enjoy the book, the rest of us scored it well:
1 / 10 / 7 / 9 / 8.5
Cherith
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Ever since I watched the Netflix show I've loved Hilda. She's smart, funny and fearless. When the elves send her and her mum an eviction notice, Hilda does everything she can to save her home. She wants to live in the countryside and not move to the city of Trolberg. But the Midnight Giant causes unexpected problems.

This is an absolute gem. Perfect for any child.
Jim
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn't realize this was based on the show; I was somehow hoping it was a new story.

But since it was based on the show, and the show was based on the comics, it's like an odd game of telephone.

I might have been more into it had I not just went through this same story twice in two other mediums.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Marcy and the Riddle of the Sphinx
  • Mortina e l'odioso cugino
  • Idde och Hajen
  • Trny v čase
  • Ghoulia / Mortina
  • Chaleur
  • Arthur and the Golden Rope (The Brownstone's Mythical Collection, #1)
  • Koláčky a spiklenci
  • Gastar i Göteborg (Legenden om Jack #1)
  • The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)
  • Voro : kolmen kuninkaan aarre
  • Vi måste till jobbet
  • Willow Moss the Lost Day (Starfell, #1)
  • Tiché roky
  • Pilu of the Woods
  • Sang Maudit
  • Knackaren och andra rysliga berättelser
  • Den hemliga resan
Luke Pearson is a comic book artist and illustrator, author of Hildafolk and Everything We Miss (published by Nobrow Press). Hildafolk, his first book for Nobrow Press, quickly gained him recognition as a leading proponent of the new wave of English cartoonists.

"Pearson’s whimsical artwork—a cross between Lucky Luke and Miyazaki—creates a magical spell of a mysterious world of hidden creatures,

Hilda Tie-In (3 books)