Start by marking “Where Oblivion Lives” as Want to Read:
Where Oblivion Lives

Where Oblivion Lives

(Los Nefilim #4)

A lyrical historical fantasy adventure, set in 1932 Spain and Germany, that brings to life the world of the novellas collected in Los Nefilim: Spanish Nephilim battling daimons in a supernatural war to save humankind.

Born of daimon and angel, Diago Alvarez is a being unlike all others. The embodiment of dark and light, he has witnessed the good and the horror of this world
Published February 19th 2019 by Harper Voyager
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about Where Oblivion Lives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where Oblivion Lives

Mark Lawrence
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OUT TODAY!

This is both a stand alone book and a follow up to the three Los Nefilim novellas.

I've only read the first of those novellas, which was excellent:

So that puts me somewhere between the complete newcomer and the reader who has finishing Los Nefilim.

I think Frohock has succeeded in making Where Oblivion Lies accessible to new readers, and that the existence of the trilogy provides a sense of depth and history to the book.

Where Oblivion Lies is set i
T. Frohock
Mar 04, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm taking advantage of the Kindle notes to add annotations to the text in case anyone is interested.

You can find the Kindle Notes here. There are currently five, but I'll be adding more over the next few days.

If you enjoyed the Los Nefilim novellas--In Midnight's Silence, Without Light or Guide, and The Second Death--check out Where Oblivion Dwells.

Diago and all of the nefilim are back for a brand new adventure. Bonus points for getting to do a novel, so I'm able to share more of Los Nefilim's
Michael Fletcher
This is one of those where I need some time to put my thoughts into order.

Gorgeously lyrical, T. Frohock weaves a lush tapestry. At times beautiful and brutal, I am in awe of this unbelievably talented story-teller. Highly recommended!

This takes everything I loved about Los Nefilim and improves on it, which is quite a feat!

I want more!
Jennifer (bunnyreads)
Some books just click and this was one of those times. It wasn’t even that there is much in the way of my bullet-proof likes either- Angels are not an auto-buy for me, and historical fantasy is probably closer to an auto-skip. But there was something about this story that resonated (a little pun intended) and part way through I knew I was going to have to go back and read the rest of the series, as soon as my schedule allowed.

Now a member of the Los Nefilim, Diago’s work on the key is being hamp
Jeff Bryant
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Teresa Frohock is a true hidden treasure whose work deserves a much wider audience. Her current work, of which I received and ARC, is a novel continuing the tales in the Los Nefilim novellas, set during the time of the Spanish Civil War and continues the story of Diago, born of daemon and angel, his husband Miquel and their son as Diago continues to gain the trust of the Nefilim in their quest to maintain the peace between the immortals, whose conflicts parallel events in our world.
Teresa’s pro
Elena
Jul 03, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
When one of your favorite authors drops the news of a sequel for one of your favorite reads of 2017 you didn't even know was in the making:

description

And it's going to be a full-lenght novel, too! Hurrah!!!
David
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, historical
It was great to see a novel-length Los Nefilim story, as well as seeing some real flashbacks to past incarnations and just more in-depth exploration of the greater politics around and above Barcelona. My only knock against this book is that I wanted more Diago/Miquel/Rafael time compared to the novellas.

But wow, are some of these characters quite damaged inside--and with the Spanish Civil War about to start in 4 years, I don't see this getting any better for them.

Watch for me.
Mia
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WHERE OBLIVION LIVES is a well-written, historically grounded, evocative dark urban fantasy. While designated Los Nefilim #4, there being 3 previous novellas, reading the novellas is unnecessary for the full appreciation of this book, though it is likely to spur you to obtain the novellas post-haste.

It is a tale WHERE FAMILY LIVES and thrives—family forged by blood, and family that is hand-picked and formed by voluntary bonds. The central family consists of Diago (half-angel, half-demon), Miquel
Joel
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, hard-copy
An absolute gem - wonderfully written, genuinely intriguing through the entire novel, and containing the same superb characters, relationships, and drama I've come to expect from the Los Nefilim series. It's felt like an incredibly long wait to get back to these characters, but Frohock thankfully hits it out of the park.
keikii Eats Books
To read more reviews in this series and others, check out keikii eats books!

Short Review: Historical UF with angels, exactly the balm my soul needed with this genre. Perfect sequel to the first three novellas. I love the characters, and I loved the story. I can't wait to see more in this series.

Longer Review:

96 points, 5 STARS!
LGBT Themes

Once again, Where Oblivion Lives is everything I needed in an urban fantasy novel. I didn't just want everything to do with this novel, I needed it to soothe a
T.O. Munro
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delightful standalone excursion into the world of Los Nefilim, part spy thriller, part gothic horror, part magical warfare, as the husband and husband team of Diago and Miquel navigate dangers across Europe on the eve of the Spanish Civil War.

I posted a full review at the Fantasy Hive, here

The author also kindly answered some interview questions about the book and the process of writing it, here

Maša
Soundtrack:Happy Days are Here Again!

It's a happy day indeed, so many things I like in one place! Midway through the book I realized it's fourth in a series, so now I have some catching-up to do.

An interesting magic system. Music-imbued sigils? Yes please! If you follow the text, you can listen to a pretty interesting soundtrack. It was great to hear ol' Brahms and Berlioz as a soundtrack to angel-killing and soul-eating!

A new(ish) take on an old trope. Children of angels and humans - now with
Erika Kraus
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in the first reads giveaway! T. Frohock is a wonderful writer. You don't need to read the first three books in the series but after reading the fourth I will look for the other three!
Jon Adams
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love beautiful books.
Kathy
For those who are new to the series, Los Nefilim presents an early 1930's Europe in which nefilim, the children of angels and daimons, live hidden amidst mortal kind and serve the angels as earthly soldiers in the angel-daimon war. We follow the activity of the Spanish nephilim branch, Los Nefilim, particularly one Diago Alvarez--a half-angel, half-daimon being who's recently been inducted into the organization.

While I'd enjoyed the novellas (the characters in particular), I did feel like I was
Sumayyah
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a beautiful read. Miss Frohock is a master word smith, and it is no wonder her work enjoys such appreciation from fellow authors.

Very few authors can weave emotions in their story so compellingly. Frohock is a master at it. Where Oblivion Lives although starts slowly, it doesn't give you a breather towards the end of the book (in a good way).

While I have really enjoyed the previous Los Nifilim books, this one was a feat as it conveyed so much in such less number of words.

Frohock ta
Mary Soon Lee
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, fantasy
I have been eagerly awaiting this book since I first read "Los Nefilim," three (excellent) novellas centered on the same characters. Often when I most anticipate something, it disappoints. Not so in this case. I devoured this book within 24 hours of receiving it. The story belongs to a subgenre that I rarely enjoy, dealing as it does in angels and daimons, and falling in the borderlands between horror and fantasy. Yet there is a skill to Frohock's writing that allows me to suspend disbelief, and ...more
Joe Crowe
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Review from an advance copy.)

The descendants of angels use magic based on music, in this cool adventure story based in 1930s Spain. The author says the hero of the story is inspired by The Shadow -- a cool detail on its own -- but that is a touchstone of the depth of influences and creativity that is apparent here.

Books about angels fighting demons have been done before, but this one sets a high bar.

This book is an action-adventure worthy of any pulp story, but the author adds a sense of tim
Jeff
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways, arc, fantasy
I won this ARC in a Goodreads giveaway. This is the first book by the author and the first book in this series I have read.

I haven't had the best luck with books about Nephilim and the like in the past so I was prepared to be disappointed or at least underwhelmed (this may have worked in the books favor). Honestly the flow of the story is way better than similar series that I've read and the characters felt more genuine and likeable than those of the Shadowhunter series. The books pacing never r
Jessica
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having not read any of the other books in the series, this book can be read as a stand alone. It did a good job at explaining the angel and demon background stories and left me at an ending that will make me want to read the next novel in the series. It is written very well, the story moved along at a good pace, and it kept me interested.

It is in the LGBT genre, but no sexual context. I'm not interested in the genre, but glad I didn't let it stop me from entering the giveaway for this book.
Sheri  Konschak
I won this book in a GoodReads giveaway. It is not of the genre I would read. Don't go for the science fiction make believe colonies of make believe people. I am donating it to my local library for those who do like this genre to enjoy. Thank you for picking me to receive this book.
Faith 09
An enjoyable and unique read.
Abi Walton
Fenris
Apr 05, 2019
  • Creatures of Want and Ruin
  • The Luminous Dead
  • The Man She Knew (By Way of the Lighthouse #1)
  • Singer of Death (Court of Annwyn, #5)
  • Tigers on the Way (Tigers and Devils, #4)
  • Bring Me a Dream (Reveler, #5)
  • Lyon's Legacy  (Catalyst Chronicles, #1)
  • Cursed (The Order of the Wolf, #1)
  • Death in Life: Survivors of Hiroshima
  • Angus (Connor Clan, #2.5)
  • Door to the Sylphs (Sylph, #6)
  • Sung in Shadow
  • A Rogue by Night (The Devils of Dover, #3)
  • Bad Boys of the Night
  • The City We Became
  • Under The Moon: A Catwoman Tale
  • Misery's Way: A Kit Colbana World Story
  • Dutch (The Keeper, #1)
Website is at tfrohock.com

T. Frohock has turned a love of history and dark fantasy into tales of deliciously creepy fiction. A real-life cyborg, T has a cochlear implant, meaning she can turn you on or off with the flick of a switch. Make of that what you will. She currently lives in North Carolina, where she has long been accused of telling stories, which is a southern colloquialism for lying.

Los Nefilim (5 books)
  • In Midnight's Silence (Los Nefilim, #1)
  • Without Light or Guide (Los Nefilim, #2)
  • The Second Death (Los Nefilim, #3)
  • Los Nefilim Book 5