Start by marking “Once Upon a Player (British Bad Boys, #2)” as Want to Read:
Once Upon a Player (British Bad Boys, #2)

Once Upon a Player

(British Bad Boys #2)

Violet

When my mum gets sick, I volunteer to fill in for her and clean some hot jock’s penthouse. I’ve heard all the rumors about him, so the plan is get in, clean some toilet bowls, and get out. After my last experience with a “sports hero,” I’m done with that sort of guy.

But Lucas Carter is full of surprises. He wants to help me clean and is nothing like the toad the pr
Published July 13th 2018 by Entangled Embrace

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon a Player, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Upon a Player

Start your review of Once Upon a Player (British Bad Boys, #2)
Annika
description

Yet another quite enjoyable but, ultimately, just mediocre read for me.
Yet another manwhore-jock-meets-good-girl story. Though I really did like Lucas. He was a genuinely nice guy, patient and funny. A little daft at times, but hey.
Yet another romance full of chiché tropes and one-dimensional characters, albeit likeable ones, so there's that.

I did like the writing though and all in all, this book was pretty enjoyable despite its flaws.
Just don't go and expect anything profound.

ARC provided via
Bette Hansen
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! It's a quick and totally enjoyable read. The story is fun, sexy, sweet, and lighthearted. Lucas and Violet are great characters. He's a footballer with a reputation as a bad boy. She's a woman who has been burned by the jock type before so there's no way she's going to get involved with this one. She does have to clean his penthouse though since he's paid for it and all. Once Violet gets to know Lucas she realizes he not at all like his reputation portrays him. He's actually a g ...more
Becky
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reviewed on my blog, Becky on Books, on 7/20/18.

Once Upon a Player is a cute and sweet new adult romance that was a pleasant way to spend a few hours but ultimately is probably not going to be terribly memorable. Violet and Lucas are likable characters who it's easy to root for, but their main conflicts come from 1) not telling each other the whole truth about what's going on with them outside their relationship and 2) being pretty dense about the other person (though they still somehow manage t
Kate (beautifulbookland)
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
*Shrugs* what can I say, I’m a sucker for a good ole cheesy romance story.

I mean, it’s pretty predictable, really; girl who’s been burned by a football player swears off players for life meets a bad-boy footballer but is absolutely not going there.

(Spoiler alert: she goes there)

But who cares if it’s predictable, I still enjoyed the heck out of it. Violet and Lucas are fab together, and they went from making me want to slap them to giving me all the warm and fuzzies.

I would definitely recommen
Amanda Ashby
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this book so hard. Lucas is my kind of hero!
Danielle
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 stars
I loved this bad boys from Britain! I never knew I could enjoy a bad boy scooter player from England so much. Lucas and Violet have amazing chemistry that keeps you on your toes the whole time you are reading! I enjoyed that Lucas and Violet wasn't falling for Lucas's charm. She made him work for her attention and time. I loved Lucas too. He was a bad boy who was really a good guy underneath!
Sandy S
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars--ONCE UPON A PLAYER is the second instalment in Christina Phillips’ contemporary, adult BRITISH BAD BOYS romance series. This is British footballer Lucas Carter, and interior design student Violet Henderson’s story line. ONCE UPON A PLAYER can be read as a stand alone without any difficulty. Any important information from the previous story line is revealed where necessary. Lucas Carter is the twin brother of Harry Carter-Cinderella and the Geek-book one.

Told from dual first person po
Sophie (slovenianbookworm)
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love sports romance and I’m always happy when I can get my hands on one. Lucas is a football player who can’t play because of the injury. So he’s doing his physical appointments with his therapist and waiting till he gets the all clear to start playing again. After one of his parties in the new apartment, he meets Violet who is there to clean.

Now, if I stop here, I have to say that I love my sports romance including just a little about sport or playing, or anything other related. Unfortunately
Magic book club
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book in a few hours and I can say that I enjoyed it .The story is a cliche-footballer and student girl-but it has some kind of chemistry and you have to read it all the way. The main characters are funny,interesting. I also like that British accent and I will certainly read other books written by Christina Phillips. This book deserve 4 stars. Thank you Net Galley and publisher for this opportunity.
Karen
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty typical plot but written quite nicely. I think cover model fits the character very well. I liked Violet. Her low esteem comes from a nasty ex-boyfriend who cheated on her with her best friend. It does take a lot to get over that but Violet is ambitious and confident in what she wants from life. She doesn't expect Lucas though.

Fun fast read!!
Kacie
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!!! I thought it was so damn cute! You immediately fall in love with Violet. She is doing everything right, she is going to school, working part time but has no luck when it comes to men. She especially hates footballers. Well here comes Lucas a famous footballer. And of course they want to be friends but that never happens. Lucas wants to take her on a date immediately but she says no. Lucas has a reputation as a player and Violet was not going to let herself get wrapped up in ...more
Sara
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this book. Highly recommended.
Linda Quick
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Lucas is the totally hot and swoon-worthy professional athlete, while Violet is the young woman filled with insecurities and an ill mom who first encounters Lucas while helping her mom out by cleaning his house. He isn't quite what she expected and they begin a tenuous friendship. As their friendship grows and changes, each makes lots of assumptions and miscommunications. This brings in all the angst that you would expect in a young love story. I found myself turning pages qui ...more
Urvashi
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Violets mum runs a cleaning service agency and to help her out, Violet is at a penthouse cleaning. She is in for a shock when she realizes it’s Lucas Carters, the guy she had a huge crush on as a teenager, penthouse.
Lucas is instantly taken in by Violet, but she has been burned by a football player before and is not interested. Not willing to give up he makes excuses to keep seeing her. But Lucas has been traded to play for a club in Madrid. How will this move play in their budding relationship
Laura ( Latteandbooks )
Jul 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, arc
This is the first book that I have read by Christina and it was so good.

This was a fast paced book that was filled with lots of chemistry between Lucas and Violet.

Lucas has some insecurities, while reading you can really feel what he’s going through. I found that Violet was the perfect match for him because she balanced all that out.

Lucas is quite the charmer I loved reading about him.

I received this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review
Faith89
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-review, netgalley
copy received for honest review
I liked the story but it was a little slow. It was a sweet story and I liked both Violet and Lucas. Violet was a little gun shy due to her past relationship. I loved how she did finally step up and invited Lucas on the picnic. It was cute and sweet, just like Violet. Lucas is a bad boy player, at least in the media sense. He is also a sweet guy. I am not saying he did not take advantage of all that was offered, but he is so much more than that. He had his own issue
Treena
I said this about book 1 too --- that this reads like an in-between a YA and an NA story. But I have to say that I liked this story more than the 1st book. Both MC's are bumblingly cute and sweet. And though the conflict in the story is predictable, the way the story ends still gives all the feels. The epilogue is adorable.

This was a solid 3 stars for me.
Char (1RadReader59)
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was really a good book and an interesting concept. Because you see this about a London soccer player, Lucas Carter. Who started playing professional ball when he was seventeen and he is going to be twenty-five in a matter of days.
But unfortunately, he had been injured and had surgery on his leg. So, he is finally in a place where he can do physical therapy. He also bought a new apartment that he shares part-time with his longtime best friend famous model Yolanda. Who most of the world thi
Bec
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Violet has sworn off athletes, especially after what her ex-boyfriend did. However, there's something about Lucas Carter that's hard to ignore. Yet, cleaning his apartment is all she's ready for. But Lucas has other ideas and is determined to win her over. Will happy ever after be possible for these two?

Having really enjoyed the first book of this series, I was looking forward to more of it and I've got to say that this second book of Ms. Phillips British Bad Boys series was absolutely engaging,
Jennifer Pierson
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Violet has been burned by a footballer in the past, so she's guarding her heart against them. However, when her mom needs her to step in to help with the cleaning business, she ends up cleaning Lucas Carter's place, and while he instantly wants her, she's not falling for another footballer as her ex really did a number on her, even though she grew up with his posters all over her walls. But Lucas will do anything to make Violet his, and though it was slower than he would have liked, he spent eno ...more
thecoffeeqween
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I loved this book! It was a fun and quick read. Violet has already done the "hot jock" dating scene and it didn't end well. When she finds herself at Lucas Carter's, "it boy" of team United, penthouse filling in for her mum's cleaning service, she is determined not to get lost in his playboy web. Lucas is not used to women saying no to him. Intrigued by the woman cleaning his penthouse, can he wiggle his way into her world? With his reputation preceding him as a ladies man, Violet wonders if tha ...more
Maria
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
“I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own"
I really enjoyed “Once Upon a Player”, my first read by Christina Philips. Her characters are wonderful, the writing style good and the romantic relationship so well crafted.
Lucas is a fantastic hero: gentle, kind, his confidence hiding a vulnerability that is so touchingly written. He’s not perfect – the clumsiness handling the move to Madrid proves it – but he’s really genuine and honest. And t
Caro
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.

It was all in all an enjoyable read.

We meet Violet and Lucas. She’s a normal girl working and studying and trying to earn her way into life; he’s a football player worth millions and a known player. They meet when she goes to his penthouse to clean it and he thinks she’s someone he slept with.

Anyway, she’s not happy to start dating, even though she really wants to, lol. They live very different lives and she just doesn’t feel she fits in his. He actually loves that she’s different fro
Diane McConnell
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Complicated people that don’t talk to each other!

Mackenzie Carter summer at home is almost at end and she is not sure she wants to return to med school and she’s not sure she wants to be a doctor but she’s receiving a bursary from where her mom had worked that makes it hard to change degree plans and instead work on her art. She runs into banker Will Hamilton, her brother’s best friend that she had dated earlier. Mackenzie quit talking to him after he missed her art exhibition and didn’t return
Ree
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was looking forward to this installment in the British Bad Boys, and am glad to say I enjoyed it.

Despite shining on a football field, Lucas Carter has insecurities just as huge as said field. Waiting out the season after an injury, he meets and is intrigued by a red-haired girl who, despite her own insecurities, seems to truly see beyond the star image he presents to the world.

Surprised that Lucas Carter turns out not to be the brat everyone paints him as, Violet Henderson quickly finds her re
Elaine
If you’re looking for a story where a prominent sports star, a footballer with the world at his feet, falls for Cinderella who doesn’t exactly trust him, look no further . . . .

Lucas Carter finds his usual cleaner has been temporarily replaced by someone he’s attracted to. Shouldn’t be a problem for a star like him! However, the young woman in question has been burnt by a star before and is determined to resist being attracted to him. Can Lucas win her over? Will love find a way?

This is a light
Johanna Sawyer
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, arc
Thanks to the publisher for an eARC to read and give my opinion.

This author never fails to deliver a sweet and charming but sexy romance. Violet and Lucas made a fun match as they get pushed and pulled into a dreamy relationship. Of course Violets displays some insecurity dating someone famous but sparks fly between the two.

What did I lke? Charming romance between two consenting adults with a tad bit of drama always makes for a fun book. This author spins a web that just makes you want to fini
Flavs is Mrs David Gandy♥~♥’
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, alpha-male
I really enjoyed this one. And I love this authors books so it was a bonus for me. Just what I needed.

Fast paced book that was filled with lots of chemistry between Lucas and Violet.
Violet is helping her mom who runs a cleaning service agency. So she's cleaning some penthouse and can't believe that its none other than her teenage crush Lucas Carter, football player. But Violet has been burned before by a football player and is definitely not getting burned again.
Lucas is instantly attracted to V
Robin
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I received an arc from Netgalley.
Sometimes we get stuck in roles when we’re young and it’s hard to break out of f them. The smart one. The funny one. The dumb jock.
Lucas was born into a family of geniuses but he fell in love with football. No one thinks he’s anything but a player and a jock.
Violet dated a footballer and got burned. Been there done that. Until she meets Lucas.
These two are very different but they click.
This is a well written new adult novel with complex characters and a soli
Ess
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Once Upon A Player was a fast-paced and entertaining read. The chemistry between Lucas and Violet was believable, as well as how the two got to know each other and, naturally, fall in love. I would say the character’s story would have benefited from a lengthier novel with more dialogue between the two and successive buildup of character development.

The only thing that irked me was the over-the-top (read:clichéd) dramatic ending scene that seems to be all the rage in romantic novels. I.e. grovel
« previous 1 3 next »

• Until We're More
  • One More Moment (Band on the Run, #3)
  • The Wrong/Right Man
  • The Sinful King (Naughty Royals, #1)
  • Sin and Ink (Sweetest Taboo, #1)
  • Number Neighbors
  • Handle With Care (Saddlers Cove #1)
  • Hate You (Not)
  • The Real Deal
  • The Charmer (Harbor City, #2)
  • Miss Mechanic
  • Soulmate (Rascals #4)
  • Four Days of You and Me
  • Blindsided
  • Hard Sell (21 Wall Street, #2)
  • Enticing Liam (Big Sky Royals, #2)
  • Better When He's Bad (Welcome to the Point, #1)
  • Butterface (The Hartigans, #1)
Christina Phillips is an ex-pat Brit who now lives in sunny Western Australia with her high school sweetheart and their family. She enjoys writing paranormal, historical and contemporary romance but whether the hero is a fallen angel, tough warrior or sexy mortal, the romance will be sizzling and the heroine will bring her hero to his knees.

Christina is addicted to good coffee, expensive chocolat

British Bad Boys (3 books)
  • Cinderella and the Geek (British Bad Boys, #1)
  • Not So Happily Ever After (British Bad Boys, #3)