Start by marking “You Too?” as Want to Read:
You Too?

You Too?

A timely and heartfelt collection of essays inspired by the #MeToo movement, edited by acclaimed young adult and middle-grade author Janet Gurtler. Featuring Beth Revis, Mackenzi Lee, Ellen Hopkins, Saundra Mitchell, Jennifer Brown, Cheryl Rainfield and many more.

When #MeToo went viral, Janet Gurtler was among the millions of people who began to reflect on her past experie
Published January 7th 2020 by Harlequin Teen

To ask other readers questions about You Too?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Too?

Start your review of You Too?
Elizabeth Sagan
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Tough read, yet so necessary.
Janet
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I have the privlege of knowing how freaking awesome the essays are in this tough but necessary anthology. Every single person who contributed mentioned in some way how difficult it was to share their stories. But they are doing it so we can move forward.

We need to keep talking and we need to keep listening. #metoo #youtoo
Sahitya
Trigger Warnings: As a book about the #meToo movement, this deals with themes from catcalling or verbal abuse to rape and incest and everything in between. So, please take care and decide if you are in the right headspace to handle this book.

I’ve read quite a few books in past couple months that dealt with sexual harassment in the workplace and the rise of the #meToo movement. So, when I saw the announcement of this book in which many YA authors are sharing their own stories and letting you
Bookishrealm
I wish I had the words to describe where I should begin with the review of this book. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find them. This book was powerful, awe-inspiring and difficult to read. Most of us, if not all, have heard of the #metoo movement whether we have declared ourselves a part of it or whether we've just kept up with the stories that have been shared by brave and powerful individuals. In all honesty I had a very hard time reading this book. It took me ages to get through the stories s ...more
Greyson | Use Your Words
Why are y'all sleeping on this???? #metoo
Christine Bolton
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Harlequin Teen for my ARC!

This book was the YA version of Roxane Gay’s “Not That Bad.” And saying it’s YA does not in anyway mean it’s watered down; just that the content is more geared towards teens. These essays cover the gamut of sexual assault and harassment.

I think this is a great IMPORTANT book for young girls to read. I recognized my own experiences in several of the stories, and found strength, camaraderie and resilience. I wish this book had been around when I was a teenage
Cheryl Rainfield
1 in 3 girls. 1 in 5 boys. Sexual abuse and assault needs to be talked about.

You Too? releases today! 25 authors share their #MeToo stories, with essays by me, Ellen Hopkins, Beth G Revis, Mackenzie Lee, Janet Gurtler, Jennifer Brown, Patty Blount, Jess Capelle, and more!

This is a powerful, honest, validating anthology that tells survivors of sexual abuse, rape, sexual assault not they are not alone, and helps people who don't have those experiences see just how widespread it really is.

Survivor
Sacha
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC!

Here's a 1/7/20 update with a complete review:

Five stars

I got nervous when I saw a description suggesting that this book was a kind of teen version of Roxane Gay's _Not That Bad: Dispatches from Rape Culture_ because Gay is a genius and that book is a centerpiece of our culture at this time. How could another collection, particularly one marketed to teen readers, rise to that level?

This does.

There are many reasons that I think this book is a
C. McKenzie
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This collection of short stories reveals a sad truth about our society where young women are still objectified, and in some cases, abused. Each story is different, but there are underlying themes that run though many of them. "It's the woman's fault" is one, guilt is another, and shame. Some made me cry, some made me angry, but all of them made me aware.
Corrie DeWolfe (Corrie's Book Nook)
A truly harrowing collection of essays that should be read by everyone. I also appreciated the inclusion of a male victim of sexual assault. Their experiences are just as important to bring into the light.

Please practice self-care before, during, and after reading this collection of essays. These are stories that have come forth thru the #metoo movement. And they are important to read. To be acknowledged. To be heard.

I fell weird rating this anything, but, I settled on 5/5 because of the impor
Noel Sierra
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tough to read, but also necessary. This collection features first-hand #metoo accounts from people of many diverse identities and backgrounds. It's not shy about details and the very real, very devastating impact of sexual assault and harassment--I often had to set it down between stories, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't talk about them. Everyone should read this to understand the meaning behind #metoo and to recognize the sickening prevalence of sexual assault in our society.
Emily
Powerful anthology about others experiences with the Me too movement and how it doesn't just effect one person. Written as 25 different essays they are heartbreaking, inspiring, and moving. Difficult to read at times but well worth reading.
Sam (she_who_reads_)
READ. THIS. BOOK.
It’s not easy, but it is so so important
Pallavi
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
RATING: 4/5 STARS

This is a very powerful anthology. It's not the most pleasant read, but it's not supposed to be. The stories contain sadness, fear, anger, and betrayal. But they also convey an important message about what it means to be female in a way that is brutally honest but also optimistic. This is the first #MeToo book I've read that has been specifically targeted to teens. It has a great variety in the topics addressed, but at the core there is a common thread shared by all the narrativ
Pam Vickers
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read!
Leelynn (Sometimes Leelynn Reads) ❤
Disclaimer: I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you to Netgalley, YA Bound Book Tours and Inkyard Press for this free copy. All quotes in this review are taken from the Advanced Reader Copy and may change in final publication.

I don’t think you realize how much this anthology seriously hurt my heart. Especially since this novel is compiled of all essays from different authors and they told their real life experiences dealing w
Brooklynne
I think the first thing I want to say is I wish there was no need for a book like this. I wish we lived in a society that the stories contained in this anthology were tales of days gone by. Unfortunately, that is not the case. This a book that is hard to read at parts, it doesn’t pull punches but instead hits you right where it hurts. Women around the world will read these stories though and nod their heads with the sad knowledge that this is the way the world is.

But one thing I do know for cert
Lynda Dickson
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ages 13+
Shelves: young-adult
You Too? is a collection of 25 essays, mostly by published authors, with an introduction by editor Janet Gurtler, who also includes her own story. “In 2018, #MeToo stories began exploding across my social media feed, bringing back memories of the harassment I experienced as a young woman coming of age in the late seventies and early eighties.” As such, she “set out to collect stories from a diverse group of writers who were willing to share their personal encounters.”

Most of the authors tell the
Becca
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley & Harlequin Teen for providing me with an e-ARC of You Too? in exchange for an honest review.

Content Warning: A book focusing on sexual assault is obviously going to have some trigger-y material. There’s rape, there’s sexual assault, there’s pedophilia, there’s abuse, there’s incestuous rape; the list goes on. However, if you think you can handle it, then I definitely recommend reading regardless of the content warning. But, I never want anyone to be uncomfortable, so if t
Becky
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed on my blog, Becky on Books, on 1/6/19.

You Too? was not an easy read--and it absolutely shouldn't be. It made me uncomfortable, it made me cry, and it made me think. It made me remember things I didn't really want to remember, and it made me want to give a copy of this to every young person I encounter, male and female.

There are authors in here I already knew, and authors who were new to me who I'm absolutely going to be looking for more from. There was even an author I'd watched in a vi
T.B. Caine
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given an ARC by Netgalley in exchange for a fair review.

This was a very powerful collection, and I think it should be mandatory reading for anyone and everyone. The collection was strongest towards the end where it felt like the essays had more of a succinct closing.

One issue I did have that is taking it from a 5 to a 4 stars is that some of the essays do get extremely repetitive in their last pages. You could easily skip a few pages in each of the story and wouldn't miss a beat because
Sasha Zatz
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Inspired by the #MeToo movement, twenty five voices share their own stories in Janet Gurtler's latest anthology You Too? In a powerful push to let young adults know they are not alone, these stories tackle sexual assault in a deeply meaningful way, from diverse voices young and old, from authors we know and ones we don't quite yet.
Before I begin, of course I need to say that this anthology includes a lot of potential triggers, so please be aware of a content warning for sexual assault, rape, in
ACME  TEEN BOOKS Kids, YA & NA Too!
**WARNING: This book does contain trigger themes involving rape/incest/sexual harassment/abuse.**

You Too? is a collection of short stories and it gives us all a good dose of reality: In today's world, it is far too common that females from childhood to the teenage years, (as well as oft documented adulthood) are still objectified, and in way too many cases, abused. As if the experiences themselves weren't nightmarish enough, the message they often receive is "It's the girl's fault", that they sh
Meaghan Hurn
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Alicia
How can you review a book like this in which people are sharing intimate details of abuse, molestation, rape, verbal assault, and more that is now a platform (#metoo) to be able to shine the light on women's body autonomy and push back against the "she asked for it" culture that prevailed (and still does because it cannot ever be fully erased).

It's a timely collection with generally pointed and short essays that serve a purpose to educate and empower.
Annie Franze Alvarez
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Reading the stories in this book was..........I can't even describe it.

What I know though is that everyone should read this book! These girls' stories deserve to be heard. The biggest take-away that I had from reading 'You Too?' was that there is no one way to be a victim and that everyone's stories are valid.

Fiona Mackie
Made me reflect on instances of harassment and assault that happened to me. Would be really good for 1.10 and 2.9. Is also a diverse read.
Ruth
May 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Important
Lindsay Montague
Wow. This was extremely powerful. The #MeToo movement sparked a very important discussion that needed to be addressed a long time ago. This is a collection of essays from YA and MG authors, was inspired by this movement that hit the world in 2017.

As more and more stories started to come out, it made you think about your own life and experiences. The things that you brushed off as normal, were actually not okay. Physical assault or verbal assault. A common thread that was woven throughout all of
Diana
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Books and discussions on this topic are so important for a variety of reasons; but most important of all to let anyone know that they are not alone. Everyone has a story, though we might not want to admit it even to ourselves or think we don't because it's nothing compared to what others have had to go through. Maybe we didn't think much about it, even if it did leaves us uncomfortable or maybe we've repressed it after all these years.

I spent a lot of the first half of this book just continually
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: add anthology to my list 2 16 Oct 30, 2019 01:59PM

• The Starless Sea
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • Pumpkinheads
  • The Grace Year
  • Wild Game: My Mother, Her Lover, and Me
  • My Friend Anna: The True Story of a Fake Heiress
  • Sunday in Kyoto
  • How It Feels to Float
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • Love Is a Mix Tape
  • Sick Fux
  • The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
  • Claymore, Vol. 12: The Souls of the Fallen (Claymore, #12)
  • Claymore, Vol. 11: Kindred of Paradise (Claymore, #11)
  • Claymore, Vol. 10: The Battle of the North (Claymore, #10)
  • Where Winter Finds You (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #17.5)
  • Passing
  • Air Raid Shelters of World War II: Family Stories of Survival in the Blitz
A Rita Award Finalist, Janet Gurtler's young adult books have been chosen for the JUNIOR LIBRARY GUILD SELECTION and as BEST BOOKS FOR TEENS from the Canadian Children’s Book Center. Janet lives in Okotoks Alberta, Canada with her husband, son, a chubby black Chihuahua named Bruce and a blonde golden retriever named Betty White.