Start by marking “My Job: More People at Work Around the World” as Want to Read:
My Job: More People at Work Around the World

My Job: More People at Work Around the World

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  30 ratings  ·  18 reviews
What Does It Mean to Have a Job?

In book two of the series “My Job: Real People at Work Around the World,” author Suzanne Skees profiles fifteen professionals from all corners of the globe, seeking to understand how our work shapes our lives.  The fascinating people that Skees meets work in all kinds of industries: health and recovery, education and finance, agribusiness a
Published March 12th 2019 by Greenleaf Book Group Press

To ask other readers questions about My Job, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Job

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of My Job: More People at Work Around the World
Karen
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, nonfiction
This book is about so much more than jobs. The reader is treated to the life stories of 15 people and while we do learn about their jobs, more importantly, we get to hear about their lives that lead them to the jobs they currently hold and why they chose to pursue that line of work. Sometimes, a job is just a job; sometimes, a job is an extension of who we are.

Thank you to Greenleaf Book Group and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for my honest review.
Cristie Underwood
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
This was such an interesting book! I loved learning about how different cultures view their careers and how they balance the careers with their personal lives.
Anjana
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Once in a while I like to add some non fiction in my reading list and this seemed an appropriate book to pick up. I felt like I would find it interesting because of what it offered, a look into the mindset of people doing their daily jobs and what drives them to do so.

It is as simple and straightforward as that. There is a brief introduction by the author before we are given a verbatim story in the words of the people themselves. This made it a little harder sometimes because english is not alw
Jill
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fascinating look at a wide variety of people an the work they do and the lives they lead.
I highly recommend this book to all. It is well-written and introspective look at employment.
I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for a honest review.
Shradha
As a young college student about to join the work force herself, Skees's book is both an extremely interesting and extremely terrifying read. The introduction sets up the purpose of the book; in a world where jobs are rapidly disappearing with the advent of technology, new solutions must be found to keep people employed/able to afford basic living materials. To raise awareness regarding this and other related causes, Skees interviews people from around the world about their job experiences, and ...more
Marina
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I received a copy of this book from a Goodreads giveaway*

I enjoyed this book more than I anticipated. This book tells various people's stories about their jobs; the reader also gets a glimpse into their lives, their families, their values, and what motivates them. I appreciate that the author chose stories from the entire world and not just one area. It gave a broad perspective.

I would definitely read more from this author and recommend this as a great read for anyone who is interested in wha
Eva
May 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book reminded me of my social studies books in elementary school. Each chapter introduced a new person who lived in a faraway place and had a life very different than my own. The chapters are told from the point of view of the person being described. I learned a lot about various populations and also about performing jobs that I was very unfamiliar about. This book can be put down and easily picked back up as each chapter can stand alone as the story of one person/job.
Cynthia
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read

Definitely enjoyed reading about the different people and jobs around the world. It is interesting to see what we have in common and what we don't. Also found it a small surprise that learning English made the big impact that it did considering that many of the jobs were not in an "international field", for example the young woman with the banking business. Will be interested in seeing more books like this.
Michelle
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
This is a well-written and thoughtful look at employment and it sympathetically allows us to meet people from around the world and discover why and what it is that they do. What's significant here is that we become more aware that a person is so much more than his or her job: what drives us to the line of work we find ourselves in and how does that shape us/how do we shape that job?

Thank you to Goodreads and the author for providing this copy for review.
Emily
May 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty good book. It gives the reader a very interesting, global perspective. It is nice to see how different people earn their living around the world, and the priviledge that I have as an American. I would have been more interested if this was on a topic that I was more passionate about. Unfortunately, I am not. I enjoyed it, but I did not love it.
Rebecca
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Did not finish. I won this in Kindle format on a giveaway. I read a bit, but didn't find it all that engaging. It was fine, just, after the first few stories I was pretty done with it... eventually loaded something else on my Kindle and forgot about it until I noticed it was still marked as "in progress" on my feed.
Nikki
I really enjoyed the stories in the early chapters. I cannot pinpoint why I didn't enjoy the US based stories later in the book as much as I liked the early stories - maybe I'm just not in the right place in my head right now.

NOTE: I won an ebook copy of this book through a goodreads giveaway.
Melinda M
My Job: More People at Work Around the World by Suzanne Skees looks at how work shapes people's lives. It looks at fifteen stories of people with different jobs. It is interesting.

I received a copy thru a Goodreads Giveaway.
Kyle McCreary
Suzanne Skees presents a fascinating study of a dozen or so people from around the world and across economic and cultural spectrum, and how their careers shape their individual identities and lives.
Mary
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read
Lisa of Hopewell
Oct 29, 2019 marked it as to-read
I learned of this book here https://superfluousreading.wordpress.... ...more
Dora Okeyo
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that celebrates real people and work, it's a great read and makes for an awesome read on life, struggles and making memories.
Thanks Netgalley for the eARC.
Vanice
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I won this book in a Good Reads give away. Skees interviews people from all over the world in different cultures and economic circumstances. The interviews are eye-opening. These glimpses into other lives reveal how different yet how alike we are. We learn about the passions of a dance teacher, a farmer who leads because she has access to a cell phone, a consultant who works to bring about peace in the Middle East and a entrepreneur who takes waste tomatoes and makes sauce. The interviews are in ...more
Jessica
May 03, 2019
Freelin
Oct 28, 2019

• Quintessence: The Poetry of True Nature
  • Puffin (Frank & Hildy #1)
  • The Art of Preventing Stupid: How to Build a Stronger Business Strategy through Better Risk Management
  • A Dream
  • The Manager’s Communication Toolkit: Tools and Techniques for Leading Difficult Personalities
  • You vs You: 12 Ways to Kick Your Own Ass and Win
  • Dear Jeff: A Mother's Reflections and Responses Throughout a Family Tragedy
  • Reimagining Our American Republic: A Commonsense Vision for Uncommon Times
  • Nanaville: Adventures in Grandparenting
  • Saint X
  • Eleos
  • How Could She
  • Breast Cancer at 35
  • 1, 2, 3, Who's Cleaning the Sea? A Counting Picture Book About Protecting Our Planet
  • Bridge to Eternity
  • The Gillespie County Fair
  • Wake Up, Wanda Wiley
  • because I said I would.
Suzanne Skees's current social-mission book series is MY JOB: Real People at Work Around the World, a collection of first-person narratives by taxi drivers, midwives, musicians, technologists, and more, across the U.S. and around the world.

Check out the book and get updates on myjobstories.org.

All author-proceeds from the book fund job-creation programs to end poverty.

Skees also works in intern