Start by marking “Skilled in Magic: Five Go Into the Dark Worlds” as Want to Read:
Skilled in Magic: Five Go Into the Dark Worlds

Skilled in Magic: Five Go Into the Dark Worlds

Each child has a hidden gift and together they will become skilled in magic, a circle of sorcerers. But first they must harness their separate powers and uncover the mystery of their birthright.

The eccentric Professor holds secrets too. Through him, they learn the tragic truth of their parents' death and inherit a magic quest. Embarking on a reckless rescue mission to thre
ebook
Published June 15th 2018 by Vivid Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Skilled in Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skilled in Magic

Start your review of Skilled in Magic: Five Go Into the Dark Worlds
Meagan Poetschlag
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Skilled in Magic was a very fun and exciting story. Julian and his 3 siblings have special magic powers that they have kept secret from others all their lives. At the beginning, this story gave me a 'Series of Unfortunate Events' vibe since they start off on a train ride to meet their new caretaker, the Professor, after their parents and grandmother die. I personally was not a big fan of the Unfortunate Events series writing style, but i just loved Skilled in Magic. The pacing of the action is s ...more
Caroline Noe
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fun children's book with a modern twist on an old fashioned style of tale, like a cross between The Railway Children, Harry Potter and The Chronicles of Narnia, all with a healthy dose of moral fable.
Amy McInerney
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic! Loved it and couldn't put the book down, Looking forward to the next one!
Nikki Savvides
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The first in the Skilled in Magic series is a wonderfully creative, captivating story that immediately engaged me and kept my rapt attention until I finished it. Four siblings, each with unique magical skills, undertake a quest through several mysterious worlds to defeat the evil sorcerer Mediarn, helped along the way by their enigmatic caretaker - The Professor - and numerous fascinating characters, though some hinder more than help, especially the terrifying Bicorns.

The children are totally l
Margaret
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jane Campbell
My grandchildren and I raced through the book as it was always fascinating and thrilling. The lessons the children learnt were not presented in a ponderous fashion. A child could relate to one of the Delliks whether they were naughty, responsible, caring and young, or thoughtful. Along the lines of Enid Blyton, there are worlds to explore, and astonishing magic, animals and food. What a wonderful way to start a discussion on resiliance, trying hard and believing in ourselves.
Peir Popiah
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Skilled in Magic is a wonderful adventure through the eyes of 5 children with very usual abilities. As a big fan of Harry Potter and Narnia, this book is right up my alley and I couldn't put it down until I finished the whole book one Sunday afternoon. Highly recommend!
Kate Shannon
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book really captures you from the very beginning, hard to put it down once you get started. I'm picky with my books and if it doesn't grab me from the beginning I'll never finish it. This book, however, I couldn't put down! Read it in a day. Can't wait for the next in the series.
Tessa Gleeson
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Skilled in Magic is an amazingly written book for children of all ages. The story is a great fantasy novel following the story of four kids as they discover who they truly are. Would highly recommend to anyone who is a Harry Potter fan. 😊
Hassan Hiss
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is very special and wonderful story to read and share it with others . I recommend the book to everyone who wants to explore Magic skills :)
Marina Reis
I liked it but the second part of the book was a little too fast paced for me.
But I guess the pace is alright for children (since it's a childrens book).
Gail Owen
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful read for all ages. Even my 80 year old mother loved it along with my 12 year old son. We’re all looking forward to the next one.
Gadzun Semsudin
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read!! From the first page you are invited to the magical world of “Skilled in magic”. Recommend for kids and adults. No judging. :)
Gai
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a great read! I couldn't put it down and have already read it twice because I felt as though I had missed some of the clever nuances throughout the tale. It takes the reader on a wonderful adventure with learnings along the way. I love the way the characters are developing and can't wait for the next book!
Eryn Wadwell
Dannielle
is currently reading it
Jan 05, 2020
Gemma Kirkman
May 27, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition

• Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2)
  • City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2)
  • Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, #1)
  • The Hobbit, Part One
  • The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4)
  • Abhorsen (Abhorsen, #3)
  • The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1)
  • Pachinko
Gemma Kirkman holds a Diploma in Professional Writing for Children and is a graduate of the Australian Writers Centre. She is currently writing and producing the fourth book in her middle grade fantasy series 'Skilled in Magic'.

Gemma will be Artist-in-Residence for two weeks at Chateau d’Orquevaux in Champagne, France. She is a recipient of The Denis Diderot Grant to fund her residency.

News & Interviews