Start by marking “When Pleasing You Is Killing Me” as Want to Read:
When Pleasing You Is Killing Me

When Pleasing You Is Killing Me

Are you one who likes to keep the peace even when it comes at a high emotional price for yourself? Do your attempts to resolve differences with a controller leave you feeling wrung out and discouraged? Do you sense that your best traits (goodness, kindness, cooperation) somehow become a disadvantage with an overbearing counterpart? These questions and many more are ...more
ebook
Published January 1st 2000 by BookBaby

To ask other readers questions about When Pleasing You Is Killing Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Pleasing You Is Killing Me

Start your review of When Pleasing You Is Killing Me
Gabriel Woods
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this book because I wanted to understand the psychological makeup of two very important people in my life. I am a psychologist by education. I was pleasantly surprised with this book because Dr Carter does include technical information about the people pleasing and the controlling personality but he writes with very understandable terminology. I felt it was the message he had to give was more important than the medical terminology, which I think is the correct approach for this book.

Dr
Jacob
Jul 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm really glad I picked up this book. I enjoyed the assorted questions throughout the text, as it kept me engaged and really pondering the material. There is a lot of self reflection that comes with a workbook like this and I'm glad I spent the time doing it.

It made me realize several things about myself. Sometimes it's hard to know just where to start with healing and recovery, but I think this book certainly helped me tackle some outstanding issues I struggle with in all of my relationships.

Nova
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!

This book spoke to my heart. I will carry the information from it for the rest of my life. Highly recommend!
Andrew Weber
Apr 26, 2019
Debra Miller
Aug 17, 2019

• In Sheep's Clothing: Understanding and Dealing with Manipulative People
  • Psychopath Free: Recovering from Emotionally Abusive Relationships With Narcissists, Sociopaths, and Other Toxic People
  • The Human Magnet Syndrome: The Codependent Narcissist Trap
  • The Covert Passive Aggressive Narcissist: Recognizing the Traits and Finding Healing After Hidden Emotional and Psychological Abuse
  • Healing from Hidden Abuse: A Journey Through the Stages of Recovery from Psychological Abuse
  • How To Kill A Narcissist: Debunking The Myth Of Narcissism And Recovering From Narcissistic Abuse
  • The Journey: A Roadmap for Self-healing After Narcissistic Abuse
  • Whole Again: Healing Your Heart and Rediscovering Your True Self After Toxic Relationships and Emotional Abuse
  • 30 Covert Emotional Manipulation Tactics: How Manipulators Take Control In Personal Relationships
  • The Power of Character in Leadership: How Values, Morals, Ethics, and Principles Affect Leaders
  • Ugly Love: A Survivor’s Story of Narcissistic Abuse
  • Tuned Out
  • Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man: What Men Really Think About Love, Relationships, Intimacy, and Commitment
  • Stop Caretaking the Borderline or Narcissist: How to End the Drama and Get on with Life
  • Bad Boyfriends: Using Attachment Theory to Avoid Mr. (or Ms.) Wrong and Make You a Better Partner
  • Untangled: Guiding Teenage Girls Through the Seven Transitions into Adulthood
  • The Anger Trap: Free Yourself from the Frustrations That Sabotage Your Life
  • Talking to a Loved One with Borderline Personality Disorder: Communication Skills to Manage Intense Emotions, Set Boundaries, and Reduce Conflict
Psychotherapist
“People pleasers, however, tend to overlook the reality that others are responsible” 1 likes
“When people pleasers go too far in their pleasant ways, they may inadvertently be guilty of encouraging others to continue in selfish or disrespectful behavior. Instead of receiving kind gestures with a spirit of gratitude, some people respond with an attitude of entitlement.” 0 likes