Start by marking “Maynard Trigg and The Creature Beneath The Veil” as Want to Read:
Maynard Trigg and The Creature Beneath The Veil

Maynard Trigg and The Creature Beneath The Veil

IN THE SKIES ABOVE A LOST WORLD...

Maynard Trigg lives carefree in the muddied slums of Carthage Skyport making mischief at the expense of his loving father, his friends, and teachers.

But when a pirate appears, claiming to have been sent to protect Maynard from a murderous creature, he is thrust into a life of magic, theft, and deceit.

A life, he promised himself, he would n
Published June 17th 2018 by Digital and Creative Media Works

To ask other readers questions about Maynard Trigg and The Creature Beneath The Veil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maynard Trigg and The Creature Beneath The Veil

Start your review of Maynard Trigg and The Creature Beneath The Veil
Anna
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
What I love most about Maynard Trigg and The Creature Beneath The Veil is the feeling of adventure. That and the way the places were described. It made me feel as if I was right there in the story. And Moony had me intrigued. Who was he to Maynard's father? What was he? Is he a good guy or a bad guy pretending to be good? There was so much that the protagonist, Maynard, had been thrust into after his father's disappearance. It was one puzzling, harrowing instance after the next. I actually had s ...more
Cátia
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was given to me to read in exchange of an honest review. I enjoyed reading this book a lot, it was a really interesting reading, I Ioved the plot and Maynard's adventures that are also full of mysteries. As the main character I like the way he's portraited, I mean we have a young man, an adolescent that is really cunning and resourceful, but at the same time he's a bit lost because of all that has happened.

I did felt that the book had some faults, at least for me, I felt that I needed
Lucy
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
About 3.5 stars which is a high rating for me. I loved this book. I could tell it was in part inspired by Stephen King’s the Gunslinger - captures the feel of that series while being a unique story in its own right. I’m looking forward to book two.
Kez Booth
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Overall an very enjoyable read. I found the main character intelligent and relatable who adapts as best he can to the situations in the book. The pacing was good so the story didn't slow down. I thought it was a good mix of fantasy, horror and action with a pirate thrown in too. This is only the first book so looking forward to more!
Christopher Jenerette
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
It’s pretty good the pacing isn’t too slow nor too fast. The wide cast of unique characters makes sure that the story never gets stale nor repetitive and the main character acts how we would act if placed in their situation but they slowly become accustomed to the reality of the situation at hand.
Laura Berger
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great first novel with a lot of heart. An interesting setting with a lot of potential for future exploration.
Sally Raz
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
 Imagine wishing for your day to be more thrilling than the norm. Something better than just studying about soil and its chemical elements; however you regrets it when a mysterious man appears out of nowhere and tells you that your father got murdered. And you are now haunted for something he secretly discovered. Can you survive this twist of fate? Or, will it destroy you for life? Written by D.C McNeil, this story speaks of a boy escaping his homeland only to struggle with who he should trust i ...more
Domik
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: booktasters
Final rating: 3,5 stars
“Maynard Trigg and The Creature Beneath The Veil” is a debut novel by an Australian author D.C McNeil. It dances on the edge of adventure and gives the reader a taste of steampunk pirates with elements of mystery.

My biggest problem at the beginning was, without a doubt, the pacing. The book starts of absurdly fast and doesn’t stop for the entire time until Maynard gets on the ferry where most of the action takes place. It felt rushed, I didn’t have a chance to become atta
Sandry A
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cornering a debut novel into "surprising" or "stand-out" is difficult, because it pre-supposes a lot about the way a writer ends up published. However, Maynard Trigg is exactly that - a stand-out novel, but it's hard to describe a work of this maturity as debut.

The story follows Maynard, a trouble-making, sharp witted youngster as his life falls apart, and he's forced from his home on a skyport, and into the frying-pan, as it were. The story is an adventure and mystery, wrapped up comfortably in
Lara
May 23, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
"Maynard Trigg and The Creature Beneath The Veil" is fantastical, fast-paced, and just fun!! It was a easy read and a really enjoyable one!

Basically, Maynard finds himself in a difficult situation when his father is most likely assassinated by people who want an information from him. And now Maynard has to flee with this pirate who apparently is an old family friend. Most unfortunately, the pirate in question ends up hurt leaving it to Maynard to try and navigate this hard situation by himself,
Immortal Writings
Jun 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Maynard Trigg and The Creature Beneath the Veil can be described as a adventures and thrilling tale with a perfect blend of suspense, fantasy and horror.

The story was about a schoolboy Maynard l, whose life takes a dramatic turn after he meets Mooney, a pirate with a veil. Together they set out to unknown adventure to find his father and some answers but then he is left to fend for himself.

D.C. McNeil has done a great job of narrating a fast paced and yet very intriguing storyline. There was nev
Ax
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book.
The protagonist is smart, and he adapts well trough the changes, but he is still a kid and the author knew how to keep the balance to make it relatable.
The main problem I had with this book was that the pacing of the story is a little fast and I couldn't grow attached of most of the other characters, so it felt a little weird when they were facing difficult situations 'cause I didn't have the time to empathize with them.
In the first chapter, the story went s
Romila
May 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
Stories and books always have a reflection of our life, and why not the authors can't bring everything from the air. Though the book, Maynard Trigg and The Creature Beneath The Veil is and mix of little fiction, adventure and full of mystery you can find yourself somewhere in Maynard or Moony.
This is the story of a boy who struggles with his life that he never imagine. He meets people he never saw but they know him and most of them want to hurt him. The narration is good, it will be better if th
na
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
actual rating: 3.5 stars

it was very fast paced, i had to make sure this isn't a part of series. in the first few chapters, i feel very confused and tried really hard to catch up with the stories. they don't talk much about Maynard's father, like there is no detailed explanation about what he did to the point Maynard's life was at stake. only a glimpse, which i found still very confusing. it was pretty enjoyable though, the characters are really fun and interesting. Maynard, as a main character,
Azca Sky
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Maynard Trigg is a pretty enjoyable read. I fancy Maynard's character, who seems too wise for his age, but still retain the naivety of a child. It's a bit difficult to get the imagery of the world, but once I do, the story is much more fascinating to navigate through.

It's a bit confusing because I never understand Maynard's train of action. He is almost emotionless, and sometimes it makes me wonder how one scene turned into another. There's also a sense of too much clues being spread out only f
Kerstin Vollbrecht
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Maynard Trigg is a schoolboy whose life changes dramatically when a strange ma'am appears in his life, Mooney, who happens to be under his father's orders to protect him from something sinister that's after his family. And so they go aboard a ship to leave Carthage, Maynard's hometown, where he has to learn the hard way how to manage himself in an environment full of manipulation, power and abuse of his innocence.
This is a book that was really hard to put down, because the thread is full of ten
Sam Holston
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Actual rating: 4.5 Stars.

It was a great, fun read the speeds you along at breakneck pace. I was turning pages and chewed through this in no time. The vividness and imagery is transportative - you do feel like you're IN the journey at many points in the book. Lot's of fun.

I will say the first few chapters were a bit disorienting because of the speed, but it settled in nicely to a good gallop and finished the race at least for a few lengths in front. And yes, I did just use a horseracing analogy.
F86
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It's not what I expected, but I look forward to see the next stories in this universe.

It's the story of a kid suddenly thrown in the world of adults, and who must guess at who to trust, who is good or bad. He also must deal with the consequences of his choices.

Doing the right thing becomes complicated in a world full of sheme and risks. It's easy to get attached to Maynard.
All the others are harder to figure out, and it works well.

The world is interesting, even if it's mostly narrowed to the
Jene
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. The author does an amazing job painting a picture of his story with words. I was able to visualize all the areas and people in this book from the descriptions used. There is a lot of adventures, mysteries, friendships, plots and more that go on throughout the story. I highly recommend this book if you are looking for a good read. I can't wait to see what other books this author has out there as well. Happy reading.
Ania
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What happens when you find yourself in the middle of a chaos you've been trying to avoid? Who is a friend? Who is a foe? An adventurous story with great plot and characterization, even though a bit confusing at first as i read i became more familiar the atmosphere.

I recommend this book to those who would love to get some adrenaline rush cause honestly reading this was like riding a roller coaster which is a good thing.
Charlie K.
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I often don’t read a lot of pdfs or digital books but this one has a solid 3.5 stars from me! Absolutely loved how the adventure turns out and depicted in this book. The story is very light, although the character introduction is a bit off (not easy to be understood internationally for the differences of age and culture). Some choice of wordings had me struggling, but it’s all good from me. :)
Christopher  Potter
May 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
I can't say I quite enjoyed this book. It was a good premise for a story but it wasn't strung together very well. It felt, to me, like the author was trying to cram as many facets of fantasy as he could into the book, but he wasn't able to do that in a cohesive way. I ended up feeling confused most of the time while reading it because of how poorly it was written
Tasha
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
So, this was a pretty good read. I found the first few chapters confusing and had to try to keep up with what was happening because it starts in a headlong pace. Despite that the characters were interesting and the action was non stop. Didn't expect such a sudden ending, but worth the read.
Mark Adams
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Maynard Trigg and The Creature Beneath The Veil is a fantasy adventure book that will keep you onboard and intrigued from start to finish. Author D.C. McNeill does a great job of giving you a detailed story that will have you feeling like you’re with Maynard on the adventure. Thankfully he doesn’t over detail the story and the adventure never slows down. The book has something fun for everyone being full of fantasy, horror, and action. To me I got a fantasy version vibe of Treasure Island. I can ...more
D.C. McNeill
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Lydia

• Dogs: Hellbound: Book One
  • Penny for Your Soul: Glorious Mishaps Series
  • Damn the Novel
  • The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
  • House Arrest (House Arrest, #1)
  • Islands That Float
  • Infidel
  • Long Walk To Freedom (Volume 1: 1918-1962)
  • Nobody Will Tell You This But Me: A True (as Told to Me) Story
  • Glad You're Not Here (Nowhere Island University #1)
  • A Funny Thing Happened on the Moon
  • A World Without Princes (The School for Good and Evil, #2)
  • Constable & Toop
  • The Oscar Goes To
  • Food Versus Evil: An Angry Burger's Quest
  • A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • Pawns Before Kings
  • Simone LaFray and the Chocolatiers' Ball (Simone LaFray, #1)
David McNeill is an Australian speculative fiction author. He tells fast-paced, thrilling adventures filled mystery, twists, and strange characters.

News & Interviews

“Did you know, Maynard, that there is nothing worse than a disloyal friend? A disloyal friend is not truly a friend let alone a person. Empathy, integrity, and reliability make for good friendship, Maynard. But a friend is no friend without loyalty. Without loyalty, those friends are more like flowers. They might be beneficial. Perhaps they make life easier for you. Perhaps, even, they make you happy.

But all of that is incidental as it is incidental for a flower to grow. You never had to ask the flower to grow. The flower doesn’t have the foresight to grow because you desire it to. The flower grows only for itself.”
0 likes
“The boy will keep the sunboy.’
‘I already owe enough favours.’
Moony chuckled and reclined. ‘The boy may find need of a light for the dark places.”
0 likes