Start by marking “It's Not Hansel and Gretel” as Want to Read:
It's Not Hansel and Gretel

It's Not Hansel and Gretel

(It's Not a Fairy Tale #2)

Hansel and Gretel will not listen to their storyteller. For one thing, who leaves a trail of bread crumbs lying around, when there are people starving? Not Hansel, that’s for sure! And that sweet old lady who lives in a house made of cookies and candy? There’s no way she’s an evil witch! As for Gretel, well, she’s about to set the record straight—after all, who says the st ...more
Published March 1st 2019 by Two Lions

To ask other readers questions about It's Not Hansel and Gretel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Not Hansel and Gretel

Start your review of It's Not Hansel and Gretel
Dave Schaafsma
My family reads all the Goodreads-award-nominated picture books every year. This is book #14 (of more than 20) of 2019, and we thought it was good. This an alternative or “fractured” fairy tale, much more upbeat and funny than the original! With retro style Golden Age/Candyland style goofy art by Edwardian Taylor. Meta-fiction in places with commentary by characters on the ongoing tale.

Lyra (12) 3.5. I like how the book contradicts itself and how the kids talk back to the narrator. Twisted versi
Ivonne Rovira
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: snarky readers of all ages
Recommended to Ivonne by: Amazon First Reads
I was not pre-disposed to like this book. Alternative fairytales worked well in the Fractured Fairytales cartoons, in Jon Scieszka’s The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales, and in Michael Buckley’s the Sisters Grimm series, but, for the most part, they’re obvious and dumb.

But author Josh Funk totally won me over. No one in this fairytale does what they’re supposed to do. The narrator even becomes frustrated at Gretel in particular for defying the traditional plotline. And you’ll be
Melki
Here's a fun fractured fairy tale! I particularly enjoyed this plucky Gretel who dares to ask, "Why isn't it ever Gretel and Hansel? And, when Hansel is plunked into a cage and force-fed to fatten him up, she quips, "The boy gets to sit around and eat candy while the girl has to cook and clean? Get with the times - this is the fifteenth century!"

Edwardian Taylor's trippy illustrations are also a delight!

description

description

Rod Brown
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Goodreads Choice Awards Project: Read as many of the Best Picture Book nominees as possible. Mission complete! Though this one didn't make it to the final round...

A sassy and meta take on the traditional fairy tale. It didn't really work for me, but kids might like it and will probably have fun picking out all the cameos by the many characters from other fairy tales and nursery rhymes hanging out in the background.

Previously posted on 11/10/2019:
AMAZON CONSPIRACY THEORY!!!!! THE FIX IS IN FOR TH
Kristi Bernard
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just in case you don’t know the story of Hansel and Gretel, this isn’t it either. The actual story is about a brother and sister who almost get eaten by a mean old witch. This story has Hansel and Gretel doing something a bit different and all the while they maintain a very positive attitude. The narrator of this, not so Hansel and Gretel, tale gets a bit frustrated with the changes being made to the story by the characters.

This delightful remake has a lot of humor. Young readers will enjoy the
ElizrdbthSpeaks
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
if you have kids, or just an adult kid like me ... please check these reads out ... on Kindle Unlimited: Mr. Funk ... just amazing ... i am rating book 2 a bit better ... 'cause i love the pink ... so girlie fun!!
Edwardian Taylor (illustrator)
genius!! i am totally a big kid at heart ... these drawings - doodles (all respect there) are just amazing ... so short but so kid friendly ...they will love it ... amazing to the eyes. well done. first read his it's not hansel and gretel - saw that it was
Kelly Carey
This is a rollicking and hilarious -- spit the milk out of your nose -- read!!

The illustrations are bright and funny and wonderfully corny!

And Gretel has attitude! This is the sister everyone should have -- she is confident and in charge and doesn't tolerate any gingerbread antics from anyone!

Your kids will laugh at Hansel & Gretel, groan at their silliness, and ultimately cheer for them. But be sure to have cookies, cakes, or candy on hand - this book will make them hungry for more than just
Sarah Krajewski
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
🌟 My kids say this one deserves a “bonus star.” Another laugh-out-loud tale from Josh Funk. We loved Gretel and Hansel, their hilarious banter, and also searching for all the different fairy tale characters. A new favorite!
Kris
May 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Cute twist on the original story, and the art is fun and bright. I would say it isn’t particularly memorable, and that is it’s biggest problem.
Jen
This was a cute story. But like the title says, it's NOT Hansel and Gretel.

But I enjoyed it. It followed along LIKE the Hansel and Gretel story, but in the end, (view spoiler)

I felt for the poor narrator. She tried to keep the story on track. It's just that the kids, especially Gretel, h
Library Lady Terri
Really enjoyed this one.
Jana
I had the opportunity to read a review copy of this picture book that was sent to my #BookRelays group to share. This is such a fun twist on the traditional Hansel and Gretel story. Hansel and Gretel want to tell their own story, and just because different elements are traditional doesn't mean that's the way it always has to be. Gretel is bold and sassy and determined to have things her own way. The brightly colored illustrations really add to the fun of this book. This book could be a great men ...more
Heidi
Following in the footsteps of their previous collaboration (It's Not Jack and the Beanstalk), It's Not Hansel and Gretel attempts to tell the tale of Hansel and Gretel and fails miserably. Gretel just won't go along with the way the narrator wants to tell the story. She believes firmly that her parents love her and Hansel, despite the narrator telling her otherwise and she refuses to believe the witch is a witch. And she's annoyed when Hansel's name always comes first and she's left to do the ch ...more
Aeicha
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You think you know the story of Hansel and Gretel, right? Wrong! You have NO idea...but don’t worry, Josh Funk is here to tell you the real story in It’s Not Hansel and Gretel.

It’s Not Hansel and Gretel is a deliciously, laugh-out-loud funny tale that puts an imaginative and exciting spin on the classic story. Wickedly clever and bursting with oodles of charm, Funk’s pitch-perfect storytelling will keep young readers absolutely enthralled. Edwardian Taylor’s silly, whimsical illustrations bring
Marilyn
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For me, what's not to love about a feminist re-writing of a classic fairy tale, especially if it's funny!?! I love reading anything about fairy tales, mystical lore, myths, folk tales - whether one calls them re-writes, revisions, altered, or "twisted" tales - even enjoy reading the history behind them (Zipes is a great authority on its history - I own a few of his books!). And it warms my heart when I find versions created for the very young. I collect a lot of the Fairy Tale stuff...

So this ti
Courtney
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was a lucky winner of this book from the Goodreads giveaway! This book was a clever twist on a classic tale. As an adult, I laughed out loud on numerous occasions and enjoyed seeing familiar characters scattered around the book. As an upper elementary teacher, I will be sharing this book with the primary teachers at my school. The twists and humor of this book are sure to make even the youngest readers giggle with joy!
MeganRuth - Alohamora Open a Book
Such a fun fractured fairy tale. This retelling of Hansel and Gretel is completely different from what you are used to. I think 2nd grade and up would love to have this story read aloud to them. If you read aloud Jon Scieszka's fractured fairy tales, this one fits in perfectly with those. They are funny, and will definitely inspire your students to write their own fractured fairy tales.

Elementary teachers and school librarians should definitely have this to read aloud. So much fun!
Tommie Hargus
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Updated Hansel and Gretel

Per my grandson it's really cool. I like it because of the pictures, his words. He knew the story of Hansel and Gretel, so he enjoyed the changes.
Fatima Calderon
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short, sweet, and funny

It was fun to read with the kids and I doing the voices as we read out loud. It was fun to act it out.
Katie Reilley
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So much fun to read aloud! My 5th graders loved reading this one with a helper parent for #classroombookaday. So much voice to be heard!
Rachel
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is a weird, funny book with an enjoyably interactive narrator. Kids will looove it.
Beverly
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hansel and Gretel help (or is it hinder?) the author to tell their story. Very busy, cartoonish artwork and sort of cheesy, but funny all the same.
Danielle Hammelef
Jan 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge fan of this author and also the illustrator who adds so much humor and depth to these books. I loved this one so much that I bought a keeper copy. ...more
Scottsdale Public Library
Josh Funk's retelling is fabulously funny, incredibly creative, and much less frightening story than its Grimm Brother's classic. -Megan G ...more
Avid
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's not so good of Hansel & Gretel

I was very disappointed. I have not read this author previously a nd perhaps it is simply his style but it took a long time classic and turned it into a modern day dumbed down Saturday morning cartoon reminding me of The Fairly Odd Parents my children watched when young. Not for me. Not impressed at all. Won't be reading to my grandkids or students.
Heather
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very cute and funny

Read this with my 8yo and we both laughed. Going to read his other one about Jack and the Beanstalk. I’m sure we will be entertained!
Meg McGregor
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the second time I read this story!

I liked it even better! Could I rate it six stars?

If there is one fractured version, you read for the traditional Hansel and Gretel tale, this is THE ONE!

I am definitely looking for more by this author and illustrator!

My favorite picture, is at the end, where all the fairy tale characters are eating at the Bakery!
It was so much fun, finding characters from beloved stories!
Giedre
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very funny

Cute little classic children's story with a twist. Brilliant sense of humour, easy to understand jokes. My kids loved it.
Mary L.
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't my cup of tea--but I bet 3rd graders would enjoy it. It's written like a comic book with remarks by Hansel and Gretel that are just the type of humor that kids enjoy. Luckily it took less than a half hour to read it. ...more
Michelle
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
Didn’t think it could get funnier than “It’s Not Jack and the Beanstalk” but this did! Absolutely hysterical. I know students and kids all over (including those trapped inside grown up bodies) will love this book tremendously.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• What If Everybody Thought That?
  • Rosie the Dragon and Charlie Make Waves
  • Vacation for Dexter! (Dexter T. Rexter, #3)
  • A Tiger Like Me
  • Pirates Don't Go to Kindergarten!
  • We Are (Not) Friends
  • Unicorn Day
  • A Piglet Named Mercy
  • Just Because
  • How to Read a Book
  • Because
  • The Proudest Blue: A Story of Hijab and Family
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • Snow Globe Wishes
  • Penguin Flies Home (Flight School, #2)
  • The Princess and the Pit Stop
  • The Undefeated
  • We Will Rock Our Classmates
Josh Funk writes silly stories such as the Lady Pancake & Sir French Toast series (including The Case of the Stinky Stench, Mission Defrostable, and Short & Sweet), the How to Code with Pearl and Pascal series (including How to Code a Sandcastle and How to Code a Rollercoaster), the It's Not a Fairy Tale series (including ​It's Not Jack and the Beanstalk, It's Not Hansel and Gretel, It's Not Littl ...more

It's Not a Fairy Tale (3 books)
  • It's Not Jack and the Beanstalk