Start by marking “Butterface (The Hartigans, #1)” as Want to Read:
Butterface (The Hartigans, #1)

Butterface

(The Hartigans #1)

It’s true. I’m not what most people would call “pretty” and, well, high school was rough. Fast forward ten years and life is good…

Until a bunch of jerks think it’s hilarious to put the “butterface” (AKA me) on a wedding Kiss Cam with the hottest guy ever—and that old humiliation hits hard.

I recognize him immediately. The sexiest cop in Waterbury and totally out of my leagu
Published July 30th 2018 by Entangled: Amara (first published July 10th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Butterface, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Butterface

Start your review of Butterface (The Hartigans, #1)
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
Butterface is book one in the brand new series, The Hartigans, by Avery Flynn. I’ve been so excited about this book and it completely did not let me down. It is fun, sweet, and sexy and the characters stole my heart. I hadn’t expected that little tie in to The Charmer of The Harbor City series so that made my day.

Ford Hartigan is a Police Detective for the Waterbury Police Department. Ford is a by the rules man. It’s how he lives. Except that Ford comes from a huge family of firefighters. So he
A Klue
From the synopsis, you clearly pick up on the fact Gina, the heroine, had a past history of being picked on for being an ugly duckling in high school. What was surprising and unexpected was she is still cast in that very unfavorable role in the present, as well. To the point I gringed every time her looks were mentioned. Whether by herself or others, the bulging eyes, huge honker nose, and other disportionate facial features described twisted my stomach into knots. In heart break and anguish for ...more
Avery Flynn
Jul 03, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Hey all! I am so excited to share Butterface with y'all! It's out July 30, so be sure to add this hot RomCom to your Goodreads TBR! xoxo
Stacey is Sassy
DNF at 25% no rating as I did not finish

Unfortunately, this one was not for me. Considering Butterface is described as a comedy, all I've felt is disgust and sadness so I'm guessing I'm not the right audience. I don't find it funny that people judge others based solely on looks. It sickens me that the adult characters in this story found humour in pranking a woman because they considered her unattractive. For these adult characters to be police officers as well, that made it even worse. To be ho
Sabrina
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Get it here:
Amazon US * Amazon UK

This was a pretty fun and easy read. There wasn't a ton of angst thrown in so the tone of the book was kept pretty light. There were a few times that the whole "She's a butterface" thing got a little too immature for me, mostly when it came to Ford's co-workers but overall I wasn't majorly bothered by it. I actually liked that the heroine wasn't described as the most beautiful woman in the world or something similar to that. It made the story more realistic in a
MG
3 stars

I loved the humor in this book, and the H was definitely swoon-worthy. The one thing that kept me from really enjoying it was the tremendous and CONSTANT insecurities of the h. I understand her reasons for her lack of self-confidence (the guys at the beginning of the book who recur later as they are co-workers of the H are serious dicks), but it was well over-used in this story to the extent that it detracted from the plot.

What I liked:
--- As I said, the H was very swoon-worthy
--- I enjoy
Madison Warner Fairbanks
Butterface by Avery Flynn

Fantastic contemporary romance. Slightly humorous with heartfelt tugs of lasting love after disappointment, betrayal, righteous anger, attraction, and family caused embarrassment.
A fast read that you won’t want to put down.

Alternating viewpoints between Gina and Ford.

I listened mostly to the audio version alternating with an ecopy. I found it interesting that each viewpoint had them talking to themselves (with sarcasm and silently) but it was apparent they were male a
Carlene Inspired
Find this and other reviews at Carlene Inspired.

Butterface is a laugh-out-loud funny and sweet romantic comedy that gets the truth about love, and looks, right. Main character Gina Luca practices being honest with herself on the daily. She has a big nose, she has her dream job, and she has brothers with careers that aren't quite legal. She isn't expecting to win any beauty pageants, but her personality in this novel shines brighter than any beauty queen's smile. Ford Hartigan is a handsome guy,
Robin (Bridge Four)
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

3.5 Own You Look hearts

description

Totally Cute!

What I genuinely like about this is Gina ‘the Butterface’ heroine in question isn’t the ponytail and glasses girl that goes from not to hot in two scenes. She is a smart, independent woman with a sweet and fun personality and a very nice body. But she has super frizzy hair, teeth and eyes that are a bit too big and a honker of a nose she inherited from her mobbed-up grandpa.

Still Gina knows she isn’t
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

*3.5 stars*

I don't typically love M/F contemporary romances, but I enjoyed Butterface, mostly due to a really great narration job from both the male and female narrators.

I've read stories about atypical beauties, but it's very, very unusual to get a romance with a heroine who is truly... not attractive. I mean, when you look at the real world, there is a big range of attractiveness levels, and those people who aren't conventionally pretty deserve their love stories to be told too, damn it!

I w
Helena Hunting
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THE SH*T OUT OF THIS BOOK.

It's fresh and hilarious and everything I adore in a romance. The hero is super swoony, and adorably awkward, and ridiculously hot and the heroine is unconventional and just amazing. I can't wait for the next book in this series! Do yourself a favour and one click this!
Anna
Jan 13, 2019 added it
Dnf
Lines from this book:

"Well, there was no missing the family resemblance with Big Nose Tommy, and her eyes didn't quite fit her face, but it wasn't like she was some kind of snaggletooth troll with poisonous drool. She definitely didn't look like the women he normally dated, which made the fact that he'd gotten hard almost every time he'd thought about her during the past week more than little interesting. So how bad was she?"

This is a romance book??
Talia Hibbert
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Cross-posted review)

I didn't read the blurb before purchasing (yes, I know) because I really want to read the sequel and I prefer to start series at the beginning. If I HAD read the blurb, I wouldn't have bought this book - even though the premise is great! - because the hero is a police officer, and I don't read cop romances. However, I'm very glad that I accidentally read this one.

I love romantic comedies, but every rose has its thorns, and the rom-com genre's is an occasional overreliance on
Heidi
Sep 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-goal
Moderately cute rom-com with some spicy scenes. For some reason, I just didn’t care for the premise— too much emphasis on looks. Despite the fact I usually love when an author goes with the non-Barbie Doll looking heroine. But in this case, of course, she still had a hot bod...

Okay, I know that sounds odd coming from a reader who has read a few hundred HF romances but this seemed sadly too real and yet too unrealistic.

But it is my wedding anniversary and the first book of the month, so it seem
Michelle
ARC provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review

font_rend

Butterface by Avery Flynn is a sweet, adorable, and charming read that tackles the aspects of love,beauty and new beginnings. Flynn introduces her readers to Gina Luca, a wedding planner who loves her job but has insecurities about her beauty since she grew up being teased and called “Butterface.” And so when she meets Ford Hartigan, a straight lace cop, Gina’s life is turned upside down for the better. For the first time in a long t
Antonella
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Possible spoilers!!!!!And rants!!!

This could be very good light and fun romance comedy.
Could be....
But it isn't...

Because I find it very hard to enjoy a story when I'm constantly reminded of how unattractive heroine looks like. Every couple of pages someone teases her, mocks her, or she is doing it herself. I mean what does she looks like? That is that bad...what? how? I'm so confused.

I'm aware of the superficial world we live in. Of all the beauty standards that are put on all of us by the me
Syndi
Jul 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Butterface is suppose to be about empowerment about body image. Or face image in this case. I was expecting Gina to be kick ass heroine.

Now the way the story went and how the character developed, Gina is more whinny selfish, self pity heroine. Just because she had traumatic past she demanded everyone to feel sorry for her.

This book can be so much better with a strong heroine.

3 stars
amanda s.
Aug 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: what-the-heck
I'm disappointed. The heroine received nothing but shameful remarks over and over and I'm so sick of it. Even the Hero didn't do anything to reassure her, to make her realize that she's so much more. Nope, didn't see anything remotely close to that from him. I'm appalled at the way the Hero's fellow cops behave. I mean, I can see it coming from high schoolers, but from grown a$$ men? Hugely disappointed.
Nadine Wilmschen
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
2 Stars

I don't know what to write about this book.

It's cheesy and predictable. That wouldn't have bothered me, but the heroine, who repeats a million times how ugly she is, got on my nerves. Of course, the guy is gorgeous and just a little weird so that they make a good match.

I expected more from a story that deals with some serious subjects: Self-love, the expectations people have on us and also our appearance, which makes it more difficult or easier to find love.

It could have been a great
☾☆ Nikki. ✿
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was quite a cute read.
I didn't enjoy the beginning as much but then it started to get better.
I loved the characters.
I will go on to read the other books in this series.
4 stars.
🌟🌟🌟🌟
AJ
Jul 29, 2018 rated it liked it

I really enjoyed this book. A fun romance with a lot of heart, and a sweet, sexy romance with lots of chemistry and swoon.

Gina Luca grew up knowing that she wasn’t attractive. She endured teasing, taunts, stares and heartbreaking ridicule as she was christened ‘Butterface’, which set the stage for her to not expect romance and come to accept the single life.

Butterface. Why? Because her body was okay, “but her face?” Not so much.

She has created a good life for herself, and is buil
caren
DNF @ 11%.

I'm sorry--I was interested in the synopsis for this book, but after just a short time, I'm annoyed AF. Like, okay, I get wanting to have a non traditional heroine. I GET IT. But like, I don't need the fact that she, and everyone around her, thinks she's ugly, to be the main point of the story. So far, that's what I've got. Even the hero has thought she's unattractive. Why would I even bother with him? Nope.
Lindsay
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
An enjoyable light romance between a wedding planner with a criminal family and beauty-related self-esteem issues and a straight-laced police detective from an overbearing family of firemen. There's not a lot to say about this other than that, except that the sort of bullying that the main character receives around her looks feels a bit over-the-top behavior in adult society. But then again, I'm neither female or American, so how would I know?

I will probably read at least another one in the seri
Julie
Jun 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
The workflow was slow so I grabbed this one, was a funny fast read and a hot romance as the subtitle suggested, however I don’t understand the American obsession with getting married as the happy ending and I am from the Middle East!!!
Anna lost in stories *A*
DNF at 16% I listened to the audiobook of this story, and the narrators for our main couple were lovely… the story itself, not so much… I’m gonna give it 2 stars… I’m hoping it’s just a matter of this particular book, because the writing style itself wasn’t bad, and I have a few other books by this author on my Kindle that I want to give a try… but this one just wasn’t for me… Gina had such a low self esteem… and the way she is still hung up on the events that happened in high school… woman, you ...more
Sharon
Here are some of my thoughts:
• I was actually very skeptical to read this because of reviews I’ve read that made me worry that Ford would be an asshole and make Gina feel bad for being ugly. Ford wasn’t an asshole, in my opinion, and Gina was perfectly capable of standing up for herself, so she wasn’t a pushover. Did she have insecurities about her looks? Yes, as she naturally would. I also liked that Gina wasn’t the classic beauty that you see in 99.999% of romances. A lot of people thought she
Ayekah
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Captivated from the very first page. I know my review isn't going to do this book justice because it's truly beyond words.
Gina Luca is a wedding planner, who meets Ford Hartigan detective at a wedding that is quickly spiraling out of control. Ford is there because it's one of his fellow officers getting married. The couple has a kiss cam and when the camera focuses on the two of them neither wants to kiss, until they do and Ford gives Gina his all. I melted into a puddle. Gina has spent her lif
Ivy Deluca
description
I enjoyed this first book in the Hartigan series, a spinoff of Ms. Flynn’s Harbor City series, with a caveat.

Gina has dealt with people inflicting their standards of beauty on her and falling short, and I could empathize with her trying to find confidence in herself when others insist on beating you down for it. What I could have lived without is the constant references to her. You would swear that she was a troll just looking for a bridge to live under. Yet, her physical description wasn’t so
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
3.75 Stars

There are a couple of things that are bound to draw me in when I am browsing books. One, a cute cover something that Butterface has covered and who I’m blaming for my epic search for a cute pink dress. Two, a plain Jane story, which Butterface also has covered. Because of this I had no choice, I had to pick this book up and read. I am really pleased that I did, because I really enjoy, but rarely find, small town or family based romances that I like. But Avery Flynn, a new author for me
Siobhan
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Avery Flynn is an author whose name I have heard on many occasions, with quite a few of my friends being a fan of her work. Despite the number of times I’ve heard the name, it wasn’t until I heard about Butterface that I decided to give one of her books a read.

The moment I found out about Butterface I knew I needed the book. It sounded like the kind of book I would adore, and I was more than willing to dive straight into the story. I went in expecting so much, with so many ideas in my mind, that

• Fluffy
  • Kiss Me Tonight (Kiss Me, #2)
  • Just the Tip
  • Kiss Me Again (Kiss Me, #3)
  • Kiss Me Not (Kiss Me, #1)
  • Perky
  • Baking Me Crazy (Donner Bakery #1)
  • Love Her or Lose Her (Hot & Hammered, #2)
  • Crime and Periodicals (Green Valley Library #2)
  • Fix Her Up (Hot & Hammered, #1)
  • Feisty (Do-Over, #3)
  • Four Day Fling
  • Number Neighbors
  • Heidi's Guide to Four Letter Words
  • Love in Due Time (Green Valley Library, #1)
  • A Secret for a Secret (All In, #3)
  • A Favor for a Favor (All In, #2)
  • Head Over Wheels

The Hartigans (3 books)
  • Muffin Top (The Hartigans, #2)
  • Tomboy (The Hartigans, #3)