Start by marking “Glory Road” as Want to Read:
Glory Road

Glory Road

Written in Lauren Denton’s signature Southern style, Glory Road tells the story of three generations of women navigating the uncertain pathways of their hearts during a summer that promises to bring change—whether they’re ready for it or not.

Glory Road brims with faith and family, second chances, and new horizons.” —LISA WINGATE, New York Times bestselling author of Bef

Published March 19th 2019 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about Glory Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Glory Road

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Another charming southern story from Lauren Denton! ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

Jessie McBride is in her late 30s, a garden shop owner, and divorced when she thinks romance is not in the cards for her. She has a willful daughter and a brazen mother, and they are all she needs.

Two handsome men move to the area, and now Jessie’s interest is piqued. Sumner Tate’s daughter is getting married, and he asks Jessie to arrange her flowers. Ben Bradley is an old question mark from high school.

Also challenging is that Evan,
Judy
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fine piece of southern fiction! While reading this I had a comforting feeling of home in the best possible sense. You could feel the love in this book - of family, friends, and the community. Memories of a simpler time came over me and I remembered sitting on the porch shelling peas, pulling weeds in the garden, making supper with Mom.

There are changes happening in the lives of the three generations of women in this book: the grandmother, Gus, who is gradually losing her memory; Gus's
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I really enjoy southern fiction. And I need to say Denton has done it proud y'all are going to enjoy this. Grab a mason jar full of some sweet tea and kick back on the front porch because this is a good read. The characters were fun getting to know, and Denton throw in a little romance for fun. I can't wait to read her next book.
The Mary Reader received this book from the publisher for review. A favorable review was not required and all views expressed are our own.
Kate Olson
I adore this author and have absolutely loved all 3 of her books. Glory Road is the perfect mix of Southern small town charm, motherhood, emotional romance (chaste - no steam!), gardening, and taking care of an aging parent. Denton's writing is so atmospheric and this setting is one I will remember for a long long time. I just want to sink into the worlds she creates and burrow in. Oh, and this cover? GORGEOUS.
NOTE: This book is published by Thomas Nelson which is typically a Christian publishe
Sherri Thacker
This is a story about three generations living on Glory Road. I enjoyed getting to know each character while the author had them each come alive in the story. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the book for my honest review.
The Lit Bitch
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it

Southern fiction is a such a fun genre for me to read. I had never really differentiated books set in regional places, until I was in college and read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. It was then that I fell in love with Southern fiction.

It was very clear that books set in the South have a unique voice all their own and I simply can’t get enough. Whether it’s Southern Gothic (my absolute fav) or Southern romance, Southern beach reads, or Southern Women’s Fiction—I simply love i
Carol (Reading Ladies)
3.5 Romantic Stars

Thanks to #NetGalley #ThomasNelsonPublishers for my free copy of #GloryRoad by Lauren K. Denton in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Fans of romance, southern settings, mother/daughter themes, gardening, and women's fiction will want to snatch up a copy of this endearing and quaint small town story.

Glory Road focuses on three generations of women from the same family during one summer of their lives on Glory Road as they build trusting and loving relations
TeriLyn
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
**I received a complimentary copy of this book from Thomas Nelson through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.**

3 "And in a way, we were." Stars

This slow burning, familial book tells 3 separate stories of 3 generations of women who live in the country off an old red dirt road in Alabama. It's a testament to life in the south, of mistakes made and on-going battles faced. It's complex relationships, a little romance, and a lot of growing. I found the story charming a
BookGypsy
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-author
An unforgettable generational story about three women in Southern Alabama. Jessie McBride, her fourteen-year-old daughter Evan and her mother Gus and the summer that changes everything. This was heartfelt, witty and poetic. I loved it! I loved all of her books and I highly recommend them. This a great book club pick.
Dawnny Ruby-BookGypsy
Novels N Latte Blog
Novels & Latte Book Club
Carole Jarvis
Reviewed at The Power of Words: https://bit.ly/2TztTa4

I’m not one to “gush” over a story, but an exception simply must be made for Glory Road by Lauren K. Denton. Long on my radar of authors to try, I’m berating myself for waiting until now to discover this incredible author. Women’s fiction, especially books with southern settings, is my favorite genre. This is Denton’s area of expertise, and she can hold her own with any author I’ve read in the general market. Actually better when you consider
Mackenzie Carol
This is the very first book that I have ever read by Lauren K. Denton, and I have to say, I am so glad that I got the opportunity to read it. Although Lauren has been on my radar for a little while, it often takes me a long time to get around to reading new authors (because I still have so many books left to read by authors who are already my favorites), so I wasn’t sure when I would get the chance to read one of her books. Let me tell you, I am so, so glad that I was presented with the chance t ...more
Danielle
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars rounded up

Opening the pages of one of Lauren Denton's books is like wrapping your heart and soul up in a warm blanket...her books are comforting, reassuring, and make the reader feel that no matter what happens, life has a way of working out the way it should. I've loved her books since reading her debut, The Hideaway, and my love of her grows with each book she puts out. Her writing and the worlds she creates makes this native NYer want to pack up and move to the South immediately! I'
Susan Snodgrass
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Sometimes God puts things in our paths for a reason. Best to sit up and pay attention.'

Lauren K. Denton writes stories with great southern charm and this one is so moving. Perry, Alabama is home once again to Jessie McBride when she returns after her husband's affair and her divorce. Along with her 14 year old daughter, Evan, settles down in her hometown. She opens a garden shop next door to her house and across a field from her widowed mother, Gus. Jessie is happy, but when her old maybe could
Megan
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This year, I read all of Lauren K. Denton's books to-date. And, I have to say, I'm hooked! Her books have gotten better and better and I cannot wait to see what comes next from her.

Each of the books, including Glory Road, have vivd characters that you want to befriend and get to know. Her books leave me connected to the characters and wanting to know more about how their stories will continue. To date, she hasn't written a sequel or series, but I hope some of these characters will continue or c
Madison
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the midst of a stressful and very busy week it was such a pleasure to sink into Glory Road each night (and morning and lunchtime and basically any minute I could squeeze into my day). The relaxed, restful and charming nature and setting of this book was simply delightful and such a pleasure to enjoy. Glory Road is a multigenerational story of growing up, loving and learning.

Leaving a broken marriage behind, Jessie McBride and her teenaged daughter, Evan, have returned to the safety and comfor
Jen
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the first line of Glory Road and then paused and sighed. I actually turned to my daughter and said, “I really missed me some Southern Fiction. This is like stepping into a warm hug.” Being the booknerd my daughter also is, she understands this crazy talk and said, “You should put that in your review, Mom.” Well, kid. I think you’re right.

Reading that first line of Glory Road really was like stepping into a warm hug. There is something soothing that I absolutely adore in Southern Fiction.
Joan
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel is a satisfying one of southern life. The narrative weaves around the lives of three generations of women. Middle aged Jessie runs a garden store. Her elderly mother is a widow and lives next door. She's known for her amazing cobblers, pies and other baked goods. Evan is Jessie's fourteen year old daughter, making her way as she will soon enter high school.

This is a touching story of family and friendships and love. We get to know these women well as Denton has done a good job of deve
Chris Conley
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story about life in a small town in the south. I am going to look for more books by the author.
Taylor Metcalfe
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, owned, romance
Do you know what I loved most about this book??
All of the positive and healthy relationships.

Glory Road is the back drop to three generations of strong women as they navigate changes in their futures. Jessie, divorced and content, now has two men making her rethink her chances for romance. While her daughter, Evan, navigates the emotional summer between middle and high school and her mother, Gus, begins having frightening memory lapses.

I loved Jessie. I now strive to be more of a mother like h
Amy
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Glory Road. The characters were relatable to me. I loved the sweet and beautiful romance. The unique writing style of Lauren K. Denton is quite refreshing.
I give Glory Road five plus stars. I highly recommend it. This is such a powerful tale of love, healing and forgiveness. So many readers will be able to connect to this book like I did. I cannot wait for more by this author in the future.
I received this book from the publisher. This review is 100% my own honest opinion.

Patti Whitson Stephenson
I have to admit that I had never read any of Lauren K. Denton’s books before I read this one. That is a mistake that I will correct as of now. I love Southern fiction, and I loved this book. Gus, Evan, and Jessie are three generations of southern women who love each other deeply; support each other during the hard times; and embrace their lives on Glory Road. They are the true definition of family. This story takes us through a season of chance in their lives. Gus, at the age of 69, is deciding ...more
Marlene
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally published at Reading Reality

Good things come in threes, and so it proves in this lovely story of three generations of the McBride women. Take that as a hint that, in spite of Goodreads characterizing this as a romance, it’s really women’s fiction or relationship fiction. While romances do occur within the pages of this book, the backbone of the book is the relationship between the women and not the men who find their way into – or back into – their lives.

Also, in spite of the Amazon c
Sue
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: southern-fiction
Modern southern fiction usually has well written characters and a sense of place - to the point that the setting of the novel is as important as the characters. Glory Road is one of those locations that is a strong part of the book - the reader can see the red dirt road and feel the heat in the summer; we can hear the creak of the porch swing as the insects buzz past our ears. It's a comforting place to be and a fantastic setting for Glory Road.

Glory Road is about three strong women during one y
Melissa
Thanks to Lauren Denton, her publisher, and NetGalley for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review…

Thirty eight year old Jessie McBride is back in her small hometown of Perry, AL with her 14 year old daughter, Evan. Several years earlier, Jessie found out her ex-husband was cheating on her with his dental hygienist. Jessie decides the best thing to do is return to southern Alabama. She grew up on Glory Road in Perry. Jessie was lucky enough to buy a house across the street from her moth
Charles
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the things I've been thinking about with the last few books I've read is, "How does a novelist know when a story begins?"

This is an interesting thing to think about when reading Glory Road. The "story" is one that includes three generations of a family over 30-plus years. It could have been a 600-page Michener-esque monster of a book; or it could have been a book of artful flashbacks, alternating between past and present (like the author's first novel The Hideaway).

Instead, the author li
J.M. Powers
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story brought me back to my southern home, complete with a porch swing and sweet tea. I loved the feeling this book evoked.

Laura Denton has a way of making the reader actually feel the comfort of Glory Road, the dirt road leading back home for Jessie after a troubled life. She finds refuge with her young daughter in her childhood home on Glory Road.

The family members, told beautifully in three POVs, is seamless. Each chapter has a heading with a name, but I didn’t need it, because each cha
Dan Curnutt
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jessie and her daughter Evan move back to Glory Road to be near Jessie’s mom, Gus. She also starts a small garden/nursery shop for the people of their small home town. They are here to escape a bad marriage that Jessie had left and to find healing, friendship, love and a community that is warm and accepting.

Low and behold after they have been there for some time Ben moves back into his parents home just up the road along with his son. He also is there for healing and to repair and sell his paren
Debi Lantzer
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating 4.5 Stars!

Today's post is about Glory Road by Lauren K. Denton.  I have read a couple of Ms. Denton's previous books so when I learned about Glory Road being available for review as part of my association with BookLook Bloggers, I was definitely interested! I have found that Ms. Denton's books are the perfect example of what folks expect when they read southern fiction!

Glory Road revolves around three generations of strong McBride family women, telling their stories from each of their poi
Becky
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
Glory Road is a beautiful, slowly-paced story about three strong women from one family: 38-year-old Jessie, who returned to her hometown following her divorce; Jessie's 14-year-old daughter Evan, just about to begin her freshman year of high school; and Jessie's swiftly-approaching-70 mother Gus, who's desperately trying to hide her declining health from Jessie and Evan. The chapters alternate among the three women, and I found myself especially drawn to Jessie's chapters.

There is, of course, ro
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Glory Road is a rich wonderful southern fiction book that made me feel happy on the outside and warm on the inside. If you haven't read a book by Lauren, I highly recommend her books. She writes characters that are deep, real and likable. Jessie is one of this characters. She's a hardworking divorcee in her late thirties where life gives her twists and turns she did not expect. I love the aspect of three generations in this book and the romance elements.
Denton is a master at a character develop
  • Piece of My Heart (Fostering Love, #4)
  • Disobedience (Bastan Hollow Saga, #2)
  • A Lesson in Thorns (Thornchapel, #1)
  • Our Last First Kiss
  • Death by Dog Show (A Creature Comforts Mystery #1)
  • Crazy Imperfect Love (Dirty Dicks #2.5; Big Sky #4.2)
  • The Memory House
  • Roman (Clutch #1)
  • Nothing Without You (Forever Yours, #2.5; Big Sky, #4.4)
  • Callback (Silhouette Studios #1)
  • Hooked on a Phoenix (Phoenix Brothers #1)
  • Incendiary Girls
  • The Next Full Moon
  • Every Deep Desire (Deadly Force #1)
  • As the Devil Dares (Capturing the Carlisles, #3)
  • All Stars Fall (Seaside Pictures, #3.5; Big Sky, #4.5)
  • Searcher of the Dead (A Bess Ellyott Mystery #1)
  • Worth Fighting For (Warrior Fight Club, #2.5; Big Sky, #4.3)
Born and raised in Mobile, Alabama, Lauren now lives with her husband and two young daughters in Homewood, just outside Birmingham. In addition to her fiction, she writes a monthly newspaper column about life, faith, and how funny (and hard) it is to be a parent. On any given day, she’d rather be at the beach with her family and a stack of books. The Hideaway is her first novel.

I'd love to connec
“I knew there was more--Mama loved to remind me of that--but Glory Road was what I knew and loved.” 1 likes
“But my mind was still on that front porch, welcoming the silence, the contentment, the exquisite pleasure of a quiet, love-filled life.” 1 likes