Start by marking “Angels Can't Swim” as Want to Read:
Angels Can't Swim

Angels Can't Swim

Angels Can’t Swim is an original, honest coming-of-age novella that examines what goes on behind the scenes for three college swimmers. Jenna, Maggie, and Eden are each incredibly different in their personalities and struggles, yet under pressure they must come together in this compelling story of friendship and what it means to be a good teammate. While balancing the ...more
Published June 22nd 2018 by KDP

To ask other readers questions about Angels Can't Swim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angels Can't Swim

Start your review of Angels Can't Swim
Miranda Reads
Jul 17, 2018 rated it liked it
description

One is tall, one is shorter. One is shy, one is chatter. One is slower, one is fast. One is gay. Both are exhausted.
The lives of three young women - Maggie, Eden and Jenna - are irrevocably intertwined.

Together, they swim for their college and despite being together every single day, there's thoughts and fears and terrors hidden away.

Life is about to throw them an unexpected twist -one that threatens everything they thought they knew.

Will they stand strong or crumble under
Rebecca McNutt
description
Angels Can't Swim is like a combo of Waiting to Dive, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Pretty Tough and Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda. A powerful and unforgettable story of a team of girls with a passion for swimming, on the surface this novel seems like it would be a superficial YA story about sports, but this is a very profound and poignant coming-of-age tale about all the things we don't see. Eden is a lesbian who struggles with her orientation, conflicting feelings about her teammate
Mackey
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars for editing, 5+ stars for such a compelling read!!

I don't often read books from first time authors who are not represented by a publishing company; however, lately I have found that many of these books - while a bit more roughly edited - are like finding diamonds in the rough. Angels Can't Swim is a perfect example!

There are three girls, competitive swimmers, each holding secrets inside of them that have the potential to destroy their swimming careers and, ultimately, their lives. As
Clara
I received this book from the author in exhange for an honest opinion.

I was really excited to start this book as the author told me it dealt with eating disorders and mental health. Those two subjects are very close to my heart and as I have recently been diagnosed with an eating disorder and OCD (among other things) I tend to read a lot on those subjects.

If the book itself was good, I felt it lacked of something. There are three girls in this book and one suffers from bulimia, but it
Mayke (acozyliving)☕️
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review to come on my blog (see bio).

The author kindly asked me if I wanted to read and review the book. I was very surprised by the short book. A lot of concepts that we can see in today's society put into one short story. It's something to make you aware of all these personal stories and how they affect people's lives. Something to check out and read for yourself.
Brittany Lamb
First off, I’ll just go ahead and get my notes out of the way, because the rest of the review will be singing appraise: the writing for this book could be better. The author obviously has immense skill to write a story like this, which I applaud her for, and I think that this could easily be a 5 star novella if the writing style was tweaked. My reasoning here is that the book is written entirely in third person, which is 100% not the issue, but the book is also a novella, which makes it quite ...more
Summer
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Title: Angels Can’t Swim
Author: Alexandra McCann
Genre: Contemporary NA Fiction
Rating: Five Stars!

On a college swim team, there are three very different girls living three very separate but linked lives . . .

Jenna loves to swim and she’s a valued member of her college swim team, but Jenna has a couple of secrets. One, she really likes the attention her athleticism brings her; and two, she secretly craves everyone’s approval, especially her team’s coach. Coach Ted is renowned for leading his team
Karley  (Bookish Fawn)
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Angel's Can't Swim by Alexandra McCann
4/5

Slight Trigger Warning: Eating Disorder [Also spoilers!!]

Angel's Can't Swim is a touching coming of age story that follows the lives of three friends as they navigate college life.

I honestly loved this book! The story is so compelling and so real. I love the difference in the problems between the girls. It's a little reminder that not everyone deals with things in the same way.

As for the characters:
Eden is gay and has bulimia, though she's very secretive.
Nada Hosny
This is a very small LGBT novella.
super easy to go through!
description
Jenna, Maggie and Eden, three young women that go to college together.
Jenna has issues at home with her family, she needs to feel praised from the others to feel good about herself, and mostly she doesn't feel anything, more like numb.
Maggie is a honest-to-god Christian, she has been raised in this community, where marriage is a girl's future, so any boy that gets within her radar, she only measure how a good husband he could be.
Eden,
Brian Gates
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is an introspective coming of age novel. It follows Jenna and her friends as they go through college. The story deals with girls struggling with their sexuality, mixing sports and academic lifestyles, and other various issues. The characters each have different qualities, and it seems to be that every reader will be able to relate to at least one of them in some way or another. My only complaint is that it's written in present tense, which I'm not fond of (but that's just personal ...more
Aila
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it
This novella and I really went through a strange and tumultuous journey. But through it all, the underlying message of hope and love never wavered in its story. I would recommend this coming-of-age novella for contemporary readers drawn to tough, realistic experiences and strong women that prevail through them all. But first, they’ll have to get through the writing.

It was hard for me to get into the story. The writing and I just didn’t jive. It’s very direct and blunt, but this offers a
Carrie (brightbeautifulthings)
I received a free e-copy from the author when she contacted me through Tumblr. I’m always happy to add more diverse books to my reading list. Trigger warnings: eating disorders, bulimia.

Angels Can’t Swim is a brief, 100-page novella about three college swimmers. Eden is a closeted lesbian trying to come to terms with her sexuality and an eating disorder. Jenna is struggling with low self-esteem and an illicit attraction to her coach. Maggie is balancing the romance of a first boyfriend with the
litandcoffee
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Angels can’t swim is the coming of age story of three college juniors and friends: Maggie, Jenna and Eden and covers the period of their full academic year. The book talks about different elements of the three girls’ life: their academic life, their sport life, their emotional struggles and personal issues, the pressure of performing well, to be at the top of their game: it covers all the aspects of students’ life.

One of three girls is a girl-next-door kind of nice girl who tries to uphold the
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Disclaimer: I was sent a free copy of this book and chose to review it. This in no way impacts my opinion.

See this review and more on Books and Ladders!

This was good but something kept me from fully connecting to it. I think part of it was the length (since it is a novella), but there was also something in the narrative that had me at arm's length from this one. I definitely think if this had been a full length novel, I would have rated it about 4-4.5* because the theme, the characters, and the
ML Rose
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Angels Can't Swim is an excellent novel. The writing is wonderful to read, one of those books that you read and soon notice that, woops, you're fifty pages in and you don't know where the time went.

The biggest strength of the writing is the voice that it's written in. It's a familiar style, like hearing a friend talk, which is probably why I got through it so quickly. There isn't a lot of dialogue, but there doesn't need to be. In fact, I only noticed when I looked back at the book to write this
Kristina (Books-and-dachshunds)
**Disclaimer: I have received a copy of this book from the author for review purpose. This has in no way, shape or form affected my opinion on it**

read full review on my blog

At first, this novella wasn’t quite what I had expected it to be. I was shocked to see that it was more in form of bullet points about three girls rather than the narrations form the other novels I had read have; this being in fact my first novella I do read.

After the shock was passed, I started to really love it. This book
Emma Rowson
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
In all honesty, this novella isn’t something I would have picked up - but, I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Short in length, I read this over the course of two evenings, and I was pleasantly surprised with how quickly I got into the story, and how involved I was with the characters by its end. I even shed a few tears!
To main focus of the story is three friends who are all members of the college swim team; Maggie, Eden and Jenna. Each are dealing with issues and choices which are easily relatable to young
Sambath Meas
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Three Women Bond Over Adversities

Alexandra McCann’s “Angels Can’t Swim” is about young women finding their voices.

Granted Maggie, Jenna, and Eden are close friends and swimming teammates, but they carry secrets that are eating them up inside and they feel too ashamed to confide or reveal to one another. Their secrets are affecting their training and ruining their lives.

“… still the three girls do not talk freely about their lives, their feelings, their secrets. They stick with easy topics.
Laura Beamer
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Alexandra McCann’s debut work centers on three college juniors, connected by their membership on a swim team, who each face a serious conflict (and despite their friendship, all of them spend the majority of the story facing it alone). The pacing and structure is thoughtful and effective, with Jenna, Eden, and Maggie’s stories intersecting, separating, and intersecting again throughout the course of the novella.

The story has limited dialogue and very little description, with events being
Saph
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This novella is short, snappy and to the point. I actually managed to read the whole thing (sixteen chapters) in an hour because it was written in such a way that it seemed impossible to stop reading. There's hardly any dialogue but actually, I kinda liked it. It was almost like watching a documentary that's 90% narration rather than conversation.

I didn't expect to relate to the characters very much at all, but actually, I related to them all perhaps a little too well. There's Jenna, the girl
Heather Jadhav
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an intelligently written coming of age novella. It documents the tribulations of three young women, each caught up with their own personal and diverse life events but united by their shared love of swimming. The characters were carefully crafted and had enough drama to hold the readers attention whilst steering round the difficult issues the characters dealt with. Coach Ted, I felt got away very lightly. However, the author painted a believable and cautionary picture showing how genuine ...more
Jennifer Rayes
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Touching story

I didn't really know what to expect when I started reading Angels Can't Swim, and I'm glad to say I was pleasantly surprised. The author follows the lives of 3 young women and shows us how each has her own secrets, yet how they are all intertwined. This book was a quick, easy read that kept me going till the end. I really wanted to know how each of the girls' stories would end and was not disappointed at all. I also really liked that the book touched on many serious problems a lot
Ceh131973
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a very well written coming of age novel which deals with many heavy issues through the perspective of three friends. The characters were likable and also elicited sympathy. Anyone who has had that awkward phase or experinced a traumatic event can relate to at least one of these characters. The way they intertwine and grow is an inspiration.
Katie
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
*3.5/5
I really, really liked this book. You can read my full review on my blog: https://teenlibrary.wordpress.com/201...
Mona
Review coming soon on my blog!
Leah
The book had potential to be a great coming of age story about female friendship and dealing with some really important issues, but it just falls flat in every aspect.

Read the full review on my blog.
Jéssica
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
This interesting, unique and thought provoking novel follows three young women whose lives are intertwine, and as we read about them we are taken on a emotional journey, watching them deal with all the obstacles and figuring things out. That been said, I was quite curious from the very beginning, feeling empathy to the characters and feeling as if I was their friend.

Maggie, Eden and Jenna are their names. With passion for swimming and issues that will take them on a rollercoaster ride, full of
Lin Koujo