Start by marking “Cyril and Pat” as Want to Read:
Cyril and Pat

Cyril and Pat

Cyril is the only squirrel in Lake Park, and he's very lonely. Until one day he meets Pat – Pat the big, grey . . . other squirrel. Cyril and Pat have lots of adventures and fun together and Cyril is so pleased he's made a friend. But everyone is adamant that Cyril and Pat simply cannot be friends, and they soon reveal why: Pat, as the reader has known all along, is actual ...more
Published July 10th 2018 by Two Hoots (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Cyril and Pat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cyril and Pat

Start your review of Cyril and Pat
Brenda
When Cyril met Pat he was pleased to know he wasn’t the only squirrel in Lake Park – now he wouldn’t be lonely with Pat by his side. They were great friends and did everything together. But everyone kept at Cyril, telling him he couldn’t be friends with Pat, because... When Pat was finally driven away, Cyril was lonely once again. All the fun was gone from his life. Would Cyril and Pat overcome the prejudices of others and pick up their friendship once again?

Cyril and Pat is filled with richly c
Melissa (Mel’s Bookshelf)
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
This is a cute book with absolutely stunning illustrations! What a talented lady Emily Gravett is!

Poor Cyril the squirrel, leading a lonely existence until he finds another 'squirrel', Pat. Cyril and Pat have lots of adventures together, but for some reason Cyril keeps getting told that he and Pat can't be friends. For Pat is not exactly the 'squirrel' that Cyril thinks he is.

Cyril and Pat is a beautiful book with a lovely message about friendship. The story is a lot of fun to read to the kids a
Rod Brown
It's a case of mistaken identity when a park squirrel befriends a city rat. It's pretty cute, until it gets a bit dark and scary near the end. The rat brings an ick factor that I can't quite get past. Cyril is a better squirrel than I am a man, I guess.
Alice (MTB/Alice Tied The Bookish Knot)
What happens when a squirrel meets a rat in a park and decide to become best friends? A fun and visual read (picture book) about the power of friendships and acceptance. Cute adventures too!
SheAintGotNoShoes
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very sweet story of an unlikely friendship - one between a park squirrel and a rat. Illustrations are cute and the overall message is that you do not need to be alike or look alike to be devoted friends.
Mehsi
What happens when a squirrel and a rat meet? Well, tons of adventures!

I just couldn't resist this cute looking book when I spotted it at one of my libraries. Plus Emily Gravett, such a fabulous illustrator, I just have to read her books. <3

This one is about a squirrel who meets a new friend... who is a rat. But does that bother Cyril? No. Not at all, if anything he thinks that Pat is squirrel. Yup. Cyril definitely needs some glasses as anyone can see that Pat is a rat. It is a running theme th
Anthony
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cyril is a squirrel ,and the only one who lives in Lake Park. One day he meets Pat who happens to be a rat, but that didn't stop them from becoming best friends. Everyone tried to convince Cyril that he shouldn't be friends with a dirty, thieving rat. When Cyril finds himself in trouble, it is Pat who comes to his rescue.
Peacegal
Fun and super-cute little story about two unique friends living in a city park. CYRIL AND PAT has the big heart and social message of a Pixar movie.

Also: The owner of "Slim," the little dog who keeps slipping his leash to dash through the city chasing rodents, needs to invest in a harness or some other way to maintain control of his dog.
Jocelyn Hee
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a cute book about friendship, companionship, love and adventure and not allowing differences to matter. Didn't help my phobia of rats though and the scruffy look of Pat still reminded me of a real rat! LOL! It was also my first introduction to an Emily Gravett PB. I shall be looking out for more.
Paula
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Yay, another rat-positive book!!
Emily
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
friendship, rats, rhyming
Jana
It's easy to be friends with people that are the same as us, but we miss out on so many wonderful opportunites to have special relationships when we limit ourselves. Cyril is a lonely squirrel in the Lake Park, until he meets Pat. Cyril and Pat have such terrific, fun times together and become such great friends, Cyril doesn't even realize that Pat is different from him. But all of the other animals in the park are quick to remind Cyril that Pat is different and, therefore, an unsuitable friend ...more
Rachel
An adorable tale about a squirrel who makes a new friend, and the value of friendship no matter whom is involved. When Cyril, the lone squirrel in Lake Park meets Pat, he mistakenly identifies him as another squirrel, and indeed in Gravett's style, both of the creatures have the same scrawny build, big pink noses, and grey and white fur. It's not long before the two are racing around, doing activities together, and outwitting Slim, the nasty dog. Other park animals can't help but notice the pair ...more
Pauline
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We adore award winning writer and illustrator Emily Gravett’s books with her precise but magical illustrations. Cyril (the squirrel) is lonely and delighted when he befriends Pat (the rat) and he believes he isn’t the only squirrel in Lake Park. The two friends have a wonderful time together and become firm friends. It is only when others tell Cyril that Pat is indeed a rat and that he can’t be friends with him that he drives Pat away. What is exceptional about this picture book is the gentle no ...more
Barbara Band
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As the only squirrel living in Lake Park, Cyril is rather lonely. That is until he meets Pat, a large grey rat that he mistakes for another squirrel. Everyone says they can't be friends but that doesn't matter because the two have great fun together. As well as outwitting Slim the dog whilst leading him on a merry chase all around the park

However, one day Cyril discovers the truth about Pat and, believing what everyone else says, stops being friends with Pat so finds himself all alone again. But
Mathew
Another great addition to the Emily Gravett catalogue. This sweet, rhyming tale tells the story of two friends who are blind to each other's outward differences and are just happy with each other's company. When Cyril (the squirrel) pays heed to the comments of those around him and recognises how Pat is 'different' his actions cost him and he finds himself lonely. Never fear though, in typical Gravett style, our character reflects and sees the error of his ways.
I particularly loved the map of t
Jennie
Cyril lives in Lake Park, and he's very lonely. One day he meets a creature of similar size, shape and colour and is thrilled to have found a friend - Pat. Cyril and Pat have lots of adventures and fun together although other creatures in the park seem to want to tell Cyril something important and say they can't be friends. And eventually Cyril finds out why - Pat is a rat! (no surprises here for the reader - we knew!). Friendship is shattered until - a friend in need is a friend in deed.
Text i
Nicola
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Perfect for fans of The Nut Job (2014)! It's a really approachable look at friendship and inclusion. Miss 4 loved the rhythm and yelling out 'Rat!'; she also approves of the map.

Miss 4 and I like to explore different books and authors at the library, sometimes around particular topics or themes. We try to get different ones out every week or so; it's fun for both of us to have the variety and to look at a mix of new & favourite authors.
Christina Reid
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love everything Emily Gravett has written and illustrated and this is no exception. Cyril the Squirrel is feeling lonely, until he meets Pat, who looks just like him (but without a bushy tail!) Cyril is so happy to have a friend that he doesn't listen when others try to tell him that Pat is a rat and rats and squirrels can't be friends. A sweet story about friendship, jam-packed with Gravett's trademark detailed and expressive illustrations.
Cheriee Weichel
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cyril is a lonely squirrel. When he meets Pat, the two become fast friends. They get into all kinds of fun mischief together. When he is told that Pat is a rat and that squirrels can't be friends with rats, he goes back to being lonely. It turns out that life without Pat, is not only boring, it's also dangerous.
I like that his book addresses stereotyping and racism in a non threatening way. The deliberate almost rhyming text and gorgeous illustrations entertain groups of all ages.
Olivia S
Cyril the Squirrel is friends with Pat the....also squirrel? When Cyril finds out that Pat is actually a rat, he thinks they can't be friends anymore. Not to worry though, this book has a happy ending. I think kids would love the build up to Cyril finding out Pat's true identity. Cute pictures, good rhyme, funny story, and it redeems rats, which I am all about! Lovely, will use for storytimes. 3+
Krissy Neddo
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
My teachers are always asking for a new friendship story each September. This one fits the bill. Large sized book is perfect for reading aloud, but kids will love to check it out themselves in pairs or alone to pour over the detailed illustrations. Just enough suspense to keep kids interested and thankfully the rhyme is fun and the friendship lesson not saccharine or preachy.
Amy
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A squirrel and a rat become unlikely friends and almost give up their friendship because others keep telling them they are so different that they can't be friends. This was a fun, beautiful story about the power of true friendship and celebrating all the wonderful, diverse things that makeup who you are!
Jesse
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What fun! Cyril, the only squirrel in the park, one day meets Pat, another gray...erm "squirrel". They become fast friends, even though all the other animals try to warn him that Pat is too different and that they shouldn't be friends. Luckily, Cyril isn't down with that. A wonderful story of friendship not being affected by our differences.
Pam
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cyril wants a friend and meets Pat. He thinks Pat is a squirrel just like him and they have all sorts of adventures together. Eventually, he learns that Pat is a rat and won't play any more. At the end, he decides he'd rather have his friend even if he is different.
Great lesson on celebrating ways we're different and alike.
Kelsey
Age: Preschool-1st grade
Animals: Squirrel, Rat

Against cultural norms, Cyril the squirrel and Pat the Rat become best of friends. Suspense and a triumphant rescue exemplify the power of this unlikely friendship.
Lynn
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A friend is a friend, no matter what anyone else thinks! Oversize format gives the wonderful Emily Gravett plenty of room for her smart and funny illustrations. Sweet story of making your own decisions about friends.

I would read anything Emily Gravett does and this one is terrific fun.
Jillian
A very important reminder that friends are people who make you feel less alone, and that you actively like being around.... and whether people think badly of them is generally irrelevant. (So long as, you know, they're an actual safe person.)
Ann
Cute book about an unusual friendship between a squirrel and a rat. cyril the squirrel doesn't care that Pat is a rat...He just likes that Pat likes to do what Cyril enjoys. Everyone tries to tell them not to be friends but ultimately their friendship flourishes. Like the illustrations as well.
Roseann
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cyril and Pat meet and become fast friends even though all the other animals in Lake Park try to convince Cyril that he can’t be friends with Pat because they are not the same. The two friends learn that a friend is a friend no matter how different they might be.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Saturday
  • Tanka Tanka Skunk!
  • Seeds Move!
  • My Papi Has a Motorcycle
Emily Gravett is twice winner of the prestigious Kate Greenaway Medal and the Nestlé Children's Book Prize Bronze Award for WOLVES and LITTLE MOUSE'S BIG BOOK OF FEARS. An author/illustrator of unique talent and tremendous skill, she has a host of critically acclaimed books to her name, including BLUE CHAMELEON, WOLF WON'T BITE! and AGAIN! Emily lives in Brighton with her partner and their daughte ...more