Start by marking “Feck Perfuction: Dangerous Ideas on the Business of Life (Business Books, Graphic Design Books, Books on Success)” as Want to Read:

"James Victore is a dangerous man. His ideas on optimizing your creativity, doing wow work, and building a life that inspires will devastate your limits. And show you how to win. Read this book fast." —Robin Sharma, bestselling author of The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari

Begin before you're ready and other lessons on living a happy and creative life: Renowned designer and
Published March 5th 2019 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Feck Perfuction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feck Perfuction

Start your review of Feck Perfuction: Dangerous Ideas on the Business of Life (Business Books, Graphic Design Books, Books on Success)
Aaron
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had a bit of a negative attitude when I started reading this book. Another splashy, self-help book, someone trying to be funny and crass. I'll give it 10 pages and call it a day. I was wrong.

Now, if you're the kind of person who gets all fired up by pep rallies and seminars, this is a 5/5 for you. But if you're like me, this book needed to push harder. And, it does. Sometimes, the simplest lessons need to be reminded in the smallest of words. These are short page long 'lessons' distilled into
m
Mar 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction
khoi vinh gave this to me at work so i read it and it was dumb
Amit Verma
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is awesome little book. Lovely, witty, crist, compact, funny, imaginative and magnetic.
It gives you ideas and perspectives for your life and business.
.Ideas are relevant and practical.
.There is no useless jargon or repetition or useless long quotes.
If you love small witty chapters then you are going to love it.
Author has done every effort to make it useful as well as tasty.
He has given examples from his own life and lessons taught are; although familiar but are told in innovative way.
There
Shweta Ganesh Kumar
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
Motivational at first glance. Creative for sure and the kind of the book that makes you want to get up and take life by the balls, but, but, but also with no real actionable suggestions. And also with a complete blind eye turned towards things like systemic and systematic discrimination because of gender, race and economic background. Best for those who are creatively stuck and are looking for anything to pull them out of their slump.
zackxdig
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Almost every page gave me a thought or an idea. I just couldn’t bring myself to put it down because I was so enthralled. I had to know what was coming next.
Arlette Go
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As everything he does, this book is bold, rebel full of inspiration and honesty!
A book worth sharing but also keeping, to read it over and over again.
Cher Cabula
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved reading this book. It definitely is inspirational and relays some pretty good and honest to goodness points that will prompt you to take action.
Nathaniel H.
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book convinced me to read more fiction in 2020. If you only read one book this year, you might like this book. If you read a lot, and a lot in this area (Creative Self-Help?) there might not be a lot for you here. I am first to admit the problem is probably me and not this book. The only dangerous idea I found was the suggestion one should use their rent money to fund their art. Please don't do that.

And please, read the other reviews of this book, most people seem to love it. For me, I'm
Yuan Guo
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it
It's ok as an inspo and self improving book, however it tends to over simplify all the problems creatives face in their careers. Also - it contradict itself at times from chapter to chapter.
Kati
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
To quote the book:
‘Bad art makes you say, “Wow! Huh?”
Good art makes you say, “Huh? Wow!”’

Well, this book did make me go ‘Wow’ a lot, but it was usually followed by something a lot more vulgar than ‘huh’. Just what the world needed, another Baby Boomer yelling about young people wanting such frivolities as not being homeless. (Section 14 in the book, lest you think I’m joking.)

I don’t know this guy’s life, but it’s obvious that he had some robust fall-back position in case of complete failure
Jacki
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life. Changing.

I would give my 20 year old self this book and lock her in a room until she finished it because it’s just that good. I think my life would have taken a very different path if I had this book available to me at that time in my life. But even if you’re like me - a 53 year old woman who has lived an amazing life - it still inspires and gives permission to live the life YOU want to live. His beautifully profound words and ideas spark the inner-creative in all of us and give new
Ryo
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I received a copy of this book for free in a Goodreads giveaway.

It's a short book with 77 little pieces of advice, all of them fitting on one page of text. It's generally good advice, though not exactly groundbreaking. The book felt a little too short, with some things lacking detail or practical advice on how to achieve it. There are sections that just have a phrase or sentence written out in large letters, with no accompanying text. Like "You ain't weird, you're free" - sounds great, but I
Mel
Feels a lot like Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative. Short and to the point, it'll probably function just as well as an app that provides pep talk notifications.
Kira-Richelle
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is a work of art, and I mean that in every sense of the word. The design of the cover, the construction of the text, Victore's own art within the pages; it's all about art and creation. I will fully admit that the sole reason that I even picked up this book to begin with was the cover. The flaps fold outward to reveal a more complete cover, where certain words and phrases had been cut off by the folding (all of which is intentional.) Even the title had me at "go," and I was ready to ...more
Tomas Markevičius
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I haven’t read many so-called inspirational books on creativity, business, etc. so it’s hard to judge this book in the context of that landscape. But my personal experience reading Feck Perfuction was great.

I was always fascinated by Victore’s ideas –I’ve seen him speaking at OFFF festival in Barcelona in 2012, but I’m sure back then I was just too young to understand and to relate to things he was talking about. Well, 8 years later I’m in my 30’s and I feel like this stuff starts to make sense.
Amin
Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it
nothing particularly inspiring and I doubt the purpose of it was to do so. if you take it as a self help book, it can be boring. If you take it otherwise, it’s twice as boring; my point is, the whole book speaks face to face to you and it’s like any other conversation you may have with a friend. when you’re having a cuppa with a friend who’s sitting there inspiring you and giving you hope, you don’t just stop them because the genre of their talk is like a self help book. I’m saying this because ...more
April
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I checked this book out from the public library. The title caught my attention, then I decided I liked the cover. I decided I had to read this book. I actually took a few pictures of pages because I liked what the written words said to me. I like that this book was matter of fact and to the point. It was not abrasive, but it really told me what I needed to see.
I had never heard of the author before, but I looked him up and now follow him on social media.
The reason for 4/5 stars is because some
Sarah Butland
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely what I needed to read right now, for personal as well as professional gains.

As the title implies, it's not for the weak of heart or those easily offended by vulgarity but it is for the creative, the weirdo's, the always-striving-for-something-more people in your life. Like a jump start to happiness, creativity and a Yellow Pages resource for what to do as well as what not to do, this book has it all and in a very conversational and easy to read format.

It took just days for me to read
Amanda
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I listed to the audiobook. (I hear the hard copy is beautiful and full of illustrations so I will definitely be picking that up.)

I went into it having no clue who the author was, hating self-help books, and just wanting something to listen to while I deep cleaned my kitchen. Needless to say, my expectations were pretty low. So imagine my shock when I ended up LOVING this book. Was there anything new and earth shattering in it? No, not really. But what’s original anymore, anyway? What I did find
Bethany
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up on recommendation from a fellow grad student of mine (both pursuing our MFA in Graphic Design), and my goodness is this one of the most inspirational and helpful books I've read before! I highly recommend this to anyone, not just artists and designers. This has a plethora (love that word) of great advice nuggets to start or continue your creative journey through life. It's also a good kick in the pants to get outside of your own head and create work despite of your inner critic! ...more
Cristina Smith
“You have no friends, you have no enemies. You have only teachers.” Feck Perfuction is a fantastic creativity catalyst for humans of all ages and persuasions filled with “Dangerous Ideas of the Business of Life”.

Why are these ideas dangerous? They firmly turn the steering wheel of the vehicle of our lives over to us to create as we will. Boldly, uniquely, and unabashedly James Victore motivates the reader to create their life as their art. Highly recommended.

Thanks for the Goodreads Giveaway
Doreenandy
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such a great read.

I had a very good time reading it and in most circumstances, I could relate to what we face on a daily basis. It gives you good ideas that one can use in different circumstances.

This was a whole definition of notes to self.! Those notes you tell yourself each morning on how to become the best of the creative world your in.

I recommend it to anyone in the creative world that has a hard time becoming creative.
Michelle
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Artistic and inspirational.I found this book very interesting and yes it does help to let our "weirdness" or individuality show through.We all have unique things about us that no-one else has, or if they do we don't know about them.By letting someone know -we might find a kindred soul and how cool is that?Anyway I really liked the book and think everyone should read it for the possible "push" they might be needing in their life.
Milana Stanic
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
If you are kind of lost on what you want to do with your creative career or looking for some guidance this is hands down the best book to pick up and get some insight. It helps put things into perspective and is a good BS reality check as well. I might be biased because it speaks to my revolutionary soul as well but it is so easy to just shuffle away through life - it takes hard work to get a hold of those reins and steer away into the sunset!
Chelsea Wierwille
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
James Victore is a genius. If you feel “stuck” or in a head space where you’re making no progress this book is for you. If you don’t want to grow as a person and learn how to get through the tough stuff- this book is not for you. If you’re happy with the everyday mundane tasks to get your paycheck and make ends meet do not read this.
Lisa Baggerman
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have long been a James Victore fan. Back when I was an editor for HOW Magazine, I interviewed him for an article about a particular project he had created. But I was most struck by his inspirational approach to his work in general. So glad he put his dogmatic approach to design in this book. I think every creative professional should read--and reread--this.
KinHo Chan
May 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: thrive, teaching
Great insights. It is a fun and quick way to get some inspirations for life. The author wrote from his own life experiences as an artist. The claims he made were not meant to be well-researched or evidence-based. However, there wasn't enough context about the author's life journey to fully appreciate where his "dangerous ideas" are coming from.
Alison Sowka
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Only 10 or so pages in so far, but am already so impressed! It's the perfect combination to build an adult picture book.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND even if you "don't like reading" as an adult. Practical advice on learning who you are and why you should be confident and proud of that.
Leo Alvarez
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
A designer's view of what's important in life, work, and business. Yeah, it's the same thing everyone else thinks (hopefully that's not a spoiler, right?). Anyway, a fun 'self-help' book, with fun headings, interesting use of fonts, and lots of humble-brag -- aren't they all??
Collin Marrero
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very poignant and valuable book. I’ve referenced it a million times since reading it. I even messaged with the author on Instagram and was very moved by his perspective and gratitude. Highly recommend everyone to read it twice!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Find Your Artistic Voice: The Essential Guide to Working Your Creative Magic
  • Keep Going: 10 Ways to Stay Creative in Good Times and Bad
  • The Art of Noticing: 131 Ways to Spark Creativity, Find Inspiration, and Discover Joy in the Everyday
  • Ruined by Design: How Designers Destroyed the World, and What We Can Do to Fix It
  • Art, Inc.: The Essential Guide for Building Your Career as an Artist (Art Books, Gifts for Artists, Learn The Artist's Way of Thinking)
  • Creative Calling: Establish a Daily Practice, Infuse Your World with Meaning, and Succeed in Work + Life
  • Now Is the Way: An Unconventional Approach to Modern Mindfulness
  • Do Design: Why beauty is key to everything (Do Books Book 13)
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • This Is Not a T-Shirt: A Brand, a Culture, a Community--a Life in Streetwear
  • Always Eat Left Handed: 15 Surprising Secrets For Killing It At Work And In Real Life
  • Your Inner Critic Is a Big Jerk: And Other Truths About Being Creative
  • Show Your Work!: 10 Ways to Share Your Creativity and Get Discovered
  • How to Stay Human in a F*cked-Up World: Mindfulness Practices for Real Life
  • Am I Overthinking This?: Over-answering life's questions in 101 charts (Humor Books, Self Help Books, Books About Adulthood)
  • Zen: The Art of Simple Living
  • Now Try Something Weirder: How to keep having great ideas and survive in the creative business
  • Swimming in Darkness
James Victore is an artist and designer who teaches creativity and personal growth.
“Your biggest fear is not spiders or sharks—it’s you. It’s the fear of expressing who you are—lest someone actually see you.” 2 likes
“Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else’s opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.” 2 likes