Start by marking “Cemetery Road” as Want to Read:
Cemetery Road

Cemetery Road

Sometimes the price of justice is a good man’s soul.

The #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Natchez Burning trilogy returns with an electrifying tale of friendship, betrayal, and shattering secrets that threaten to destroy a small Mississippi town.

“An ambitious stand-alone thriller that is both an absorbing crime story and an in-depth exploration of grief, betrayal
Published March 5th 2019 by William Morrow & Company

To ask other readers questions about Cemetery Road, please sign up.
Maureen Contact the publisher directly which is what I did when I never received a book won in Goodreads contest. I finally received the book from Nov.…moreContact the publisher directly which is what I did when I never received a book won in Goodreads contest. I finally received the book from Nov. recently. Also be sure to let Goodreads know on their Giveaway support site that you never received it. They, too, can contact the publisher. Good Luck.(less)
Paul Hi, I won an advanced copy of this book earlier this month. It took almost 4 weeks to finally receive the book. I actually started to worry that it…moreHi, I won an advanced copy of this book earlier this month. It took almost 4 weeks to finally receive the book. I actually started to worry that it wouldn't come or was lost in the mail. But it showed up a few days ago.
This was the information in the email I received when I was notified that I was a winner of the giveaway:
"If you have further questions, plese contact William Morrow, who listed this book for giveaway. Goodreads is not involved in the shipment of books to winners. Books usually arrive within 4–6 weeks. If you’ve waited more than 30 days, visit the Giveaway Details page to let us know you haven’t received your copy."

Hope that helps. (less)

Paromjit
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a standalone thriller from Greg Iles, set in a small southern town, Bienville, in Mississippi with all the elements for a riveting read set in Trump's US, and all that entails. No-one here is free from flaws in this story of murder and twisted intrigues, least of all the protagonist, Marshall McEwan, estranged from his father, a Pulitizer prize winning journalist in the 1960s for his coverage of the Civil Rights movement. After 26 years away, Marshall returns to run the struggling newspa ...more
Tammy
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is your usual Iles. A crusading and prize winning journalist returns to his small town Mississippi home to a less than functional family and barely functioning family newspaper. There is a murder which provides the impetus for the narrative. A cabal controls this town and nice men they are not. They are plenty of lies, deceit, betrayal and backstabbing. As I said, your usual Iles which is always entertaining.
Beata
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
I am afraid my thoughts on the latest novel by Greg Iles will not be that praising as in the case of the Natchez Burning Trilogy …. I was really looking forward to reading Cemetery Road since the deep south of the United States holds some allure that I can’t resist. The allure is still there, however, the novel disappointed me with regard to the characters, their secrets and their psychological development. I am sorry but I did not find their actions and reactions believable ……. The idea of puni ...more
Brenda
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is fiction, but damn it, I know that what happens in this book happens in real life.

A group of men obtain riches and power. The more they have, the more they want. They die and pass everything to their sons and then their sons. Starting after the Civil War in Mississippi, this group of men has played a long game. They spread their arms wide and circle the pot of poker chips in the middle of the table and pull the pile to themselves. In Bienville, this group of men is known as the Poker
Nilufer Ozmekik
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Different, complex, twisting story, a perfect combination of a family drama and real events on Florida mystery! An absorbing crime story,grief, betrayal in Southern community!
Lisa
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A first rate journey into a small town’s corrupt power brokers and the length they will go to protect their pockets.

SUMMARY
Marshall McEwan vowed never to return to his hometown, Beinville Mississippi when he left at age eighteen. He moved to Washington D.C. and became an extremely successful and award-winning journalist. But now his father is now dying and his mother needs Marshall to help with the debt-ridden family newspaper, The Watchman.

Soon after Marshall’s return to Beinville, his boyhoo
Tim
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Multiple plot lines become sullied and muddled until the end. By then, it's hard to care much for the characters. 3 of 10 stars
Darcy
I usually really like this author, but this book was tough for me. I didn't care for any of the characters, hated what they were doing. As things went on things go messy, so very messy. About the time I started to like a character something would happen and I hated them again. By the end of the book I was just glad to be done and didn't really care if anyone found any happiness.
Zoe
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ominous, pacey, and tragic!

Cemetery Road is a gritty, engrossing novel about life in Bienville, Mississippi, a small town struggling with socioeconomic depression, corruption, murder, scheming politicians, and powerful, rich, white businessmen with no scruples.

The prose is descriptive and tight. The characters are tormented, scarred, and complex. And the plot is a rollercoaster ride of twists, turns, deception, allegiances, revelations, greed, power, violence, infidelity, integrity, heartbreak,
Amy
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Trump and capitalism bashing, PTSD, gay character, affairs, suicide, racist white old southern men, sex...in detail... mafia....check, check, check.....the list continues...all trendy topics thrown in for a rather pointless plot with unlikable characters. Would not recommend. Hang up the newspaper industry and write about something else. Seriously...twice in this story sex .... pubic hair and anal penetration.....play a plot role or twist. The author lost me on this. Is this the best he could do ...more
Carolyn
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Greg Illes writes thrilling, complex stories set in the deep south of the United States. There are lovely antebellum mansions surrounded by fragrant flower gardens, but he explores the rotten core of these towns, which may contain corruption, murder, racism and injustice. This is a long book of 608 pages, but his compelling previous Natchez Burning trilogy contained 804, 814 and 707 pages without unnecessary filler, and I felt they could have gripped my attention even longer.

In Cemetery Road, t
Carrie
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to William Morrow and Goodreads First Reads program for an ARC of this amazing book. The following is my honest review:

Hands down one of my favorite books by Greg Iles!! I made the mistake of starting this book around midnight right before I was ready to go to sleep. At 3 am, with my eyes struggling to stay open, I kept saying just one more chapter to myself over and over. It's that good.

This story is so gripping. It starts out:
I never meant to kill my brother. I never set out to hate my
Tom Swift
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Greg Iles is my favorite author. The Penn Cage series is the best series that I have ever read. This is a stand alone novel based in Mississippi. Iles writes almost entirely about the south, his stories are full of history, intrigue, and race relations in the South.

Now I probably have to wait 2 years for a new book. Sad.
Ruth Askea
Mar 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
I have read and enjoyed all the other books by Greg Iles but... I was so disappointed by the intrusion of current politics in this one. I read fiction for a reason, to escape and I don't need an author's political opinion (left or right) when doing this! I can turn the TV on if I want that!
Susan Crowe
I love this author!! Wow this book was good! Gritty, raw and very graphic so beware if you've never read this author before. But wow, can he weave a story! His imagination is incredible. Highly recommended!
Scott Brick does a fantastic job narrating if you do audiobooks.
Tracie
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a book I received as a Goodreads giveaway. It is also my first time reading Greg Iles, but it certainly won't be my least. I love anything in a southern setting. Other readers have complained that this book is too long. I found it so intriguing that I fly through it. Lots of interesting characters and murder wth a twist. LOVED it.
Margarete Lory
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Still worth the read, just not quite as great as some of his others have been in my humble opinion.
Jim C
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is about a man who has returned back home to the South because his father is dying. While being back home, his mentor is killed because he believes a new construction site use to be a Native American dwelling and this discovery would put a halt to the construction.

Greg Iles is one of the few authors that I make sure I read the newly released book right away. Other authors I can wait until I come around to it. The author has an amazing gift of weaving so many concepts together into one
Nikki
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, arc
March 12, 2019: Full review to come.

March 18, 2019: Okay, let's get into this.

This book kicks straight into gear. There is no "easing" into it, you jump straight into action from the very first pages.

And then you get hit with flashbacks. Multiple flashbacks. That get broken up to return to present day.
It pulled me out of the present story to tell me a different one and then I get pulled out of the new story to return to present day. I didn't like that. A flashback is already going to break up
Bret Kramer
Mar 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
OK, this one is hard for me. I'm a big fan of Mr. Iles work. Unfortunately, this one to me felt like a very poorly masked and extremely shallow description of his political views wrapped around a reasonably good story. I listened to the book from Audible and there were many times were I just flat paused the audio, rewinded and said "no". I truly do not mind different political views in the books I read. In fact, I often enjoy them, but I enjoy them when they are thought provoking and offer an ex ...more
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cemetery Road by Greg Iles is a compelling, very highly recommended Southern novel of suspense and one of the best novels I've read this year.

"I never meant to kill my brother. I never set out to hate my father. I never dreamed I would bury my own son. Nor could I have imagined that I would betray the childhood friend who saved my life, or win a Pulitzer Prize for telling a lie. All these things I have done, yet most people I know would call me an honorable man." -opening

Marshall McEwan has retu
Julie Sanders
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
I have read other books by Greg Isles and found them to be worth 5 stars; however this one is not. I found myself disliking the main characters and just didn’t find much of the story plausible - it went in too many directions often with weak connections- corruption, sexual infidelities, murder, treason, war, torture, drownings, suicide, paternity issues and more. Also, as others have stated I did not see the need for bringing in a political stance and bashing of our current president. it was dis ...more
Charles Hanson
Mar 31, 2019 rated it did not like it
I desperately pushed through the pages of this book hoping to find an enjoyable or even educational read but it just wasn't meant to be. If you wish to experience a book ripe with all the acceptable modern day victims this is the book for you. The author even uses the buzz word "fake-news" on several occasions in conjunction with the dreaded "Trump". If that isn't virtuous enough for you our hero hails from national journalistic halls of "DC" and was a regular on "MSNBC". His villains' paramour ...more
Helen T
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
First Greg Iles and likely the last. I enjoyed his slow, meandering writing style and found the initial story intriguing. Then the plot shifted, the second story line took over and Iles' s narrative voice, in my opinion, changed too. The main characters weren't particularly likable; the female main character seemed the stuff of Male fantasies rather than an actual woman. Besides the rampant sexism and general vileness that permeated within the characters, the entire plot seemed to hinge on a sex ...more
JoAnne Pulcino
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another marvelous read from a wonderful writer!!! Mr Iles never disappoints with fantastic plots, characters, twists and vivid descriptions of his beloved south!! Can’t say enough about his creative and prolific mind.
Bravo
Julie
Mar 15, 2019 rated it liked it
I love this author, have read everything he has written, but this one I didn’t love. If you have read the Penn Cage Series, this felt like it was one of those books. I hate to feel this way. There was too much “sameness”. The characters and the plot were too similar, sometimes I even forgot I wasn’t reading about Penn Cage. I hope the next book will be something radically different, like The Footprints of God or Spandau Phoenix or Black Cross or Mortal Fear.
Alison Law
Listen to my interview with Greg Iles about his first standalone novel in a decade, Cemetery Road, in Episode 57 of the Literary Atlanta podcast, released March 13, 2019.
Pam
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
AUTHOR Iles, Greg
TITLE Cemetery Road
DATE READ 04/12/19
RATING 4/B
FIRST SENTENCE I never meant to kill my brother. I never set out to hate my father. I never dreamed I would bury my own son. Nor could I have imagined that I would betray the childhood friend who saved my life, or win a Pulitzer Prize for telling a lie.
GENRE/ PUB DATE/PUBLISHER / # OF Crime Fiction/2019/William Morrow/587 pgs
SERIES/STAND-ALONE SA
CHALLENGE Good Reads 2019 Reading Goal 58/111; Author Alphabet I 20/26
GROUP READ
CHARAC
Judy
Apr 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
I’m not sure you should give serious consideration to this review if trying to make a decision about reading this book or not. I can just tell you that I read several chapters and gave up. Stopping a book before finishing is not a decision I make lightly or often. I feel every piece of work needs a judgment based on the complete picture. But, I just could not get into this one. The characters never came alive for me. This may sound odd to some of you, but, many will understand what I mean when I ...more
  • Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • The Perfect Alibi (Robin Lockwood #2)
  • Run Away
  • Freedom Road
  • Finding Katarina M.
  • The Cutting Room (Carver and Lake, #2)
  • The Wedding Guest (Alex Delaware, #34)
  • Never Have I Ever
  • The Better Sister
  • I'll Never Tell
  • Never Tell (Detective D.D. Warren #10)
  • Neon Prey (Lucas Davenport, #29)
  • No Sunscreen for the Dead (Serge A. Storms #22)
  • Untitled
  • Before She Knew Him
  • The Winter Sister
  • Stone Mothers
  • The Next to Die (Spilling CID, #10)
Greg Iles was born in Germany in 1960. He grew up in Natchez, Mississippi, and graduated from the University of Mississippi in 1983. He was active in a band called "Frankly Scarlet", but quit after realizing that the touring lifestyle was not conducive with his family life. Once no longer busy with the band, he turned his attention to writing.

Greg's novels have been translated into various languag
“When a parent dies, your center of gravity is altered. Even if you lived apart from them—even if you walled yourself off from all contact—you are irrevocably lessened by their passing. Death, like gravity, respects no barriers.” 1 likes
“Men of integrity and courage are rare these days.” 0 likes