Start by marking “Cemetery Road” as Want to Read:
Cemetery Road

Cemetery Road

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  7,483 ratings  ·  1,135 reviews
When Marshall McEwan left his Mississippi hometown at eighteen, he vowed never to return. The trauma that drove him away spurred him to become one of the most successful journalists in Washington, DC. But as the ascendancy of a chaotic administration lifts him from print fame to television stardom, Marshall discovers that his father is terminally ill, and he must return ho ...more
Published March 5th 2019 by William Morrow & Company

To ask other readers questions about Cemetery Road, please sign up.
Maureen Contact the publisher directly which is what I did when I never received a book won in Goodreads contest. I finally received the book from Nov.…moreContact the publisher directly which is what I did when I never received a book won in Goodreads contest. I finally received the book from Nov. recently. Also be sure to let Goodreads know on their Giveaway support site that you never received it. They, too, can contact the publisher. Good Luck.(less)
Paul Hi, I won an advanced copy of this book earlier this month. It took almost 4 weeks to finally receive the book. I actually started to worry that it…moreHi, I won an advanced copy of this book earlier this month. It took almost 4 weeks to finally receive the book. I actually started to worry that it wouldn't come or was lost in the mail. But it showed up a few days ago.
This was the information in the email I received when I was notified that I was a winner of the giveaway:
"If you have further questions, plese contact William Morrow, who listed this book for giveaway. Goodreads is not involved in the shipment of books to winners. Books usually arrive within 4–6 weeks. If you’ve waited more than 30 days, visit the Giveaway Details page to let us know you haven’t received your copy."

Hope that helps. (less)

·  7,483 ratings  ·  1,135 reviews

Paromjit
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a standalone thriller from Greg Iles, set in a small southern town, Bienville, in Mississippi with all the elements for a riveting read set in Trump's US, and all that entails. No-one here is free from flaws in this story of murder and twisted intrigues, least of all the protagonist, Marshall McEwan, estranged from his father, a Pulitizer prize winning journalist in the 1960s for his coverage of the Civil Rights movement. After 26 years away, Marshall returns to run the struggling newspa ...more
Beata
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
I am afraid my thoughts on the latest novel by Greg Iles will not be that praising as in the case of the Natchez Burning Trilogy …. I was really looking forward to reading Cemetery Road since the deep south of the United States holds some allure that I can’t resist. The allure is still there, however, the novel disappointed me with regard to the characters, their secrets and their psychological development. I am sorry but I did not find their actions and reactions believable ……. The idea of puni ...more
Julie
Cemetery Road by Greg Iles is a 2019 William Morrow publication.

Small town corruption, family tragedies, betrayals, and murder-

In other words- quintessential Greg Iles.

In this standalone novel, award winning journalist, Marshall McEwan, returns home to Bienville, Mississippi to be closer to his parents after his estranged father is diagnosed with Parkinson’s. At least that’s what he tells himself. Deep in his heart, however, he acknowledges an ulterior motive- reuniting with his first love- a
Joey R.
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars —This is the 10th book by Greg Iles I have read. Needless to say, if he wasn’t one of the best storytellers around, I wouldn’t have read 10 of his 16 novels. “Cemetery Road” is a stand alone book which doesn’t star Penn Cage, Iles’ most famous and well liked protagonists. It also doesn’t include one courtroom scene, which makes it different from most of Iles’ other books. However, despite these differences, this book does not disappoint. “Cemetery Road” tells its story through the eyes ...more
Tammy
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is your usual Iles. A crusading and prize winning journalist returns to his small town Mississippi home to a less than functional family and barely functioning family newspaper. There is a murder which provides the impetus for the narrative. A cabal controls this town and nice men they are not. They are plenty of lies, deceit, betrayal and backstabbing. As I said, your usual Iles which is always entertaining.
Brenda
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is fiction, but damn it, I know that what happens in this book happens in real life.

A group of men obtain riches and power. The more they have, the more they want. They die and pass everything to their sons and then their sons. Starting after the Civil War in Mississippi, this group of men has played a long game. They spread their arms wide and circle the pot of poker chips in the middle of the table and pull the pile to themselves. In Bienville, this group of men is known as the Poker
Susanne  Strong
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
4 Stars.

Complex, Twisty, Dark and Gritty.

“Cemetery Road” is a standalone novel by Greg Iles. It is a brilliant character driven novel about family, friendship, love and politics in a small Mississippi town.

Marshall McEwan is a reporter who returns to Bienville after a long absence. His father is ill and he has been tasked with taking over his dad’s ailing newspaper, The Watchman. Returning to Bienville is something he thought he’d never do - it holds too many bad memories for Marshall - the l
Nilufer Ozmekik
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Different, complex, twisting story, a perfect combination of a family drama and real events on Florida mystery! An absorbing crime story,grief, betrayal in Southern community!
Lisa
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A first rate journey into a small town’s corrupt power brokers and the length they will go to protect their pockets.

SUMMARY
Marshall McEwan vowed never to return to his hometown, Beinville Mississippi when he left at age eighteen. He moved to Washington D.C. and became an extremely successful and award-winning journalist. But now his father is now dying and his mother needs Marshall to help with the debt-ridden family newspaper, The Watchman.

Soon after Marshall’s return to Beinville, his boyhoo
Tim
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Multiple plot lines become sullied and muddled until the end. By then, it's hard to care much for the characters. 3 of 10 stars
Darcy
I usually really like this author, but this book was tough for me. I didn't care for any of the characters, hated what they were doing. As things went on things go messy, so very messy. About the time I started to like a character something would happen and I hated them again. By the end of the book I was just glad to be done and didn't really care if anyone found any happiness.
Amy
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Trump and capitalism bashing, PTSD, gay character, affairs, suicide, racist white old southern men, sex...in detail... mafia....check, check, check.....the list continues...all trendy topics thrown in for a rather pointless plot with unlikable characters. Would not recommend. Hang up the newspaper industry and write about something else. Seriously...twice in this story sex .... pubic hair and anal penetration.....play a plot role or twist. The author lost me on this. Is this the best he could do ...more
Zoe
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ominous, pacey, and tragic!

Cemetery Road is a gritty, engrossing novel about life in Bienville, Mississippi, a small town struggling with socioeconomic depression, corruption, murder, scheming politicians, and powerful, rich, white businessmen with no scruples.

The prose is descriptive and tight. The characters are tormented, scarred, and complex. And the plot is a rollercoaster ride of twists, turns, deception, allegiances, revelations, greed, power, violence, infidelity, integrity, heartbreak,
Julie
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is a well written novel by Greg Iles. Only problem is it is a crappy story. As others have said it is like there was a checklist to make sure all the nasties of life were included. But I have to say as in real life there are flowers in the patch of weeds. Buck, Quinn and Marshall's mom. Was there really anyone else to like?
Skip
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like his Penn Cage series, this is classic Greg Iles: the main character is a writer, it is set in a small Southern city (Bienville), with a plot combining long-buried secrets, southern culture, complicated family dynamics, and nasty politics. Bienville is struggling with socioeconomic depression, corruption, murder, scheming politicians, and powerful, rich, white businessmen with no scruples (the Poker Club.)

Winner of a Pulitzer Prize for a war story, Marshall McEwen returns to Bienville to hel
Ruth Askea
Mar 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
I have read and enjoyed all the other books by Greg Iles but... I was so disappointed by the intrusion of current politics in this one. I read fiction for a reason, to escape and I don't need an author's political opinion (left or right) when doing this! I can turn the TV on if I want that!
Carolyn
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Greg Illes writes thrilling, complex stories set in the deep south of the United States. There are lovely antebellum mansions surrounded by fragrant flower gardens, but he explores the rotten core of these towns, which may contain corruption, murder, racism and injustice. This is a long book of 608 pages, but his compelling previous Natchez Burning trilogy contained 804, 814 and 707 pages without unnecessary filler, and I felt they could have gripped my attention even longer.

In Cemetery Road, t
Erin Clemence
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This review is for the audio version of “Cemetery Road”, by Greg Illes, narrated by Scott Brick and published by HarperAudio.

Audio: 4 stars Scott Brick is a renowned narrator, with too many novels under his belt to mention, however he was recognizable to me because of his work in Michael Crichton’s Dragon Teeth. Brick has a distinctly recognizable voice, built up from many years of acting and narrating, that is both clear and expressive. He narrates the entire novel (quite a WHOPPER, too)
Ann
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's hard to put into words how this book makes me feel; it is one of Greg Iles best. The story about going back home to help care for aging parents, to confront your demons and rekindle love, to weigh moral dilemmas, to seek truth and reveal corruption, in a place uniquely planted in the past is fast paced and compelling.
Tom Swift
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Greg Iles is my favorite author. The Penn Cage series is the best series that I have ever read. This is a stand alone novel based in Mississippi. Iles writes almost entirely about the south, his stories are full of history, intrigue, and race relations in the South.

Now I probably have to wait 2 years for a new book. Sad.
The Just-About-Cocky Ms M
Review to follow.

Greg Iles has not let me down since I first read--and then read again--The Quiet Game and Turning Angel. I love a good, hefty, dense book with a lot of moving parts, characters with flaws, characters you love to loathe, and ones you cheer for, and epic plots.

In other words, Iles's work is not for those with tweet-sized attention spans.
Carrie
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to William Morrow and Goodreads First Reads program for an ARC of this amazing book. The following is my honest review:

Hands down one of my favorite books by Greg Iles!! I made the mistake of starting this book around midnight right before I was ready to go to sleep. At 3 am, with my eyes struggling to stay open, I kept saying just one more chapter to myself over and over. It's that good.

This story is so gripping. It starts out:
I never meant to kill my brother. I never set out to hate my
Sandra
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a great novel! There are a lot of characters and you could easily find yourself confused but the author does a great job of keeping it simple. I loved Marshall (he's easily as likable as Penn Cage), the main character of this story. I really liked some of the other characters and downright hated others.
Greg Iles knows how to tell a story. He captures your attention in the first few chapters and then never lets go. This book was captivating from start to finish and I never got bored. My
Scott  Hitchcock
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Although I read a fare amount of mystery thrillers they're are for the most part fillers in between more challenging reads. The 4*'s from me in this category is rare. The book had great pacing a constant edge and very good characters.
Bret Kramer
Mar 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
OK, this one is hard for me. I'm a big fan of Mr. Iles work. Unfortunately, this one to me felt like a very poorly masked and extremely shallow description of his political views wrapped around a reasonably good story. I listened to the book from Audible and there were many times were I just flat paused the audio, rewinded and said "no". I truly do not mind different political views in the books I read. In fact, I often enjoy them, but I enjoy them when they are thought provoking and offer an ex ...more
Nikki
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, 2019
March 12, 2019: Full review to come.

March 18, 2019: Okay, let's get into this.

This book kicks straight into gear. There is no "easing" into it, you jump straight into action from the very first pages.

And then you get hit with flashbacks. Multiple flashbacks. That get broken up to return to present day.
It pulled me out of the present story to tell me a different one and then I get pulled out of the new story to return to present day. I didn't like that. A flashback is already going to break up
Jim C
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is about a man who has returned back home to the South because his father is dying. While being back home, his mentor is killed because he believes a new construction site use to be a Native American dwelling and this discovery would put a halt to the construction.

Greg Iles is one of the few authors that I make sure I read the newly released book right away. Other authors I can wait until I come around to it. The author has an amazing gift of weaving so many concepts together into one
Susan Crowe
I love this author!! Wow this book was good! Gritty, raw and very graphic so beware if you've never read this author before. But wow, can he weave a story! His imagination is incredible. Highly recommended!
Scott Brick does a fantastic job narrating if you do audiobooks.
Jan
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, family-drama
Marshall McEwan is an award winning journalist based in D.C. Marshall returns home to Bienville, Mississippi to assist his mother in the care of his father and to run the family newspaper in his father's absence. Marshall runs into his old girlfriend, Jet, now the wife of his former best friend. Together, Marshall and Jet explore the whys, wherefores and secrets of the Bienville Poker Club, the death of his brother, his son, Buck Ferris and the building of a billion dollar Chinese paper mill. As ...more

• Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • The Perfect Alibi (Robin Lockwood #2)
  • Run Away
  • Freedom Road
  • Finding Katarina M.
  • The Cutting Room (Carver and Lake, #2)
  • The Wedding Guest (Alex Delaware, #34)
  • Never Have I Ever
  • The Better Sister
  • I'll Never Tell
  • Never Tell (Detective D.D. Warren #10)
  • Neon Prey (Lucas Davenport, #29)
  • No Sunscreen for the Dead (Serge A. Storms #22)
  • Untitled
  • Before She Knew Him
  • The Winter Sister
  • Stone Mothers
  • The Next to Die (Spilling CID, #10)
Greg Iles was born in Germany in 1960. He grew up in Natchez, Mississippi, and graduated from the University of Mississippi in 1983. He was active in a band called "Frankly Scarlet", but quit after realizing that the touring lifestyle was not conducive with his family life. Once no longer busy with the band, he turned his attention to writing.

Greg's novels have been translated into various languag
“When a parent dies, your center of gravity is altered. Even if you lived apart from them—even if you walled yourself off from all contact—you are irrevocably lessened by their passing. Death, like gravity, respects no barriers.” 5 likes
“There’s no meaning to be found in tragedy. Only in our response to it.” 2 likes