Start by marking “Cry Wolf” as Want to Read:

Cry Wolf

(Zoe Chambers Mysteries #7)

4.72  ·  Rating details ·  81 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Rural Pennsylvania’s Vance Township Police Chief Pete Adams is down an officer and has been dealing with extra shifts as well as a pair of bickering neighbors, one of whom owns a machete and isn’t afraid to use it. Golden Oaks Assisted Living is outside Pete’s jurisdiction, but a murder in the facility his Alzheimer’s-afflicted father calls home makes the case personal.

Pa
Paperback, first, 276 pages
Published September 18th 2018 by Henery Press

To ask other readers questions about Cry Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cry Wolf

Betty
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy, e-books, arc
The seventh book in the Zoe Chambers series is one of the best I have read. There so many turns in this story it was hard to put down. Give yourself plenty of time to read it. Pete is dealing with an officer who had to kill a person in order to save Zoe's life and is unable to handle it. The rest of his small police force is serving two shifts and he has hired a woman officer. On a visited his father he meets his FTO who is later murdered. His office has an ongoing problem with neighbors.
Zoe has
Rosemary Standeven
This is the second Zoe Chambers mystery that I have read (beginning the series at book 6), and is just as thrilling as “Uneasy Prey”. Both can be read as standalones, but obviously, you will get a little more of the main character development if you read the whole series.
Zoe Chambers’ main job is as a paramedic, but she is also a deputy coroner. When the Coroner is hospitalised due to ill-health, Zoe ends up with two fulltime jobs, and precious little spare time to spend with her partner, polic
Sue Em
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
Another winner from Annette Dashofy! Zoe Chambers is a multifaceted heroine: smart, empathetic and strong -- all needed in her job as a paramedic and deputy coroner. Visiting Pete's father at his assisted living residence, her suspicions are aroused. And this becomes her opportunity to lead the coroner's investigation into a homicide. There's already a lot on her plate, when her boss becomes ill and she has to cover for him too. Meanwhile, an unknown long-lost brother surfaces throwing her perso ...more
Quillracer
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
I will tell you up front, Annette is a friend. And I’m honored that she chose me to be a pre-release reader of Cry Wolf.

I’m a bit at sea here because I haven’t read Uneasy Prey, the previous book in this series. Some things that come up here cause a ‘When did that happen? Must have been in the last book.’ response. I need to get my hands on that book to find out how they came to be.

Everything one could want in a mystery is here. Pete and Zoe are both dealing with situations that hit close to hom
Lisa Hudson
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WILL LEAVE YOU BREATHLESS!

Annette Dashofy’s Cry Wolf (Zoe Chambers Mystery Series Book #7) will leave you breathless! This book may be read as a stand alone, but to get the full impact, the Series needs to be read in order. EMT Zoe Chambers is back and her life is more complicated than ever since she’s also having to fill in as the Deputy Coroner. Her man, Pete Adams, Chief of Police of Vance Township is busy, too, because he’s short staffed so he’s working doubles. There seems to be a rash of c
Mary Brown
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zoe Chambers Mystery, Book #7
Annette Dashofy
5+ Stars

Synopsis:

Paramedic and Deputy Coroner Zoe Chambers has been itching
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given a digital copy of this book in return for an honest review, but I bought a copy anyway. This is one of my favorite mystery series, and I genuinely look forward to each new installment.

At this point, when I begin a Zoe and Pete book, I feel like I'm settling in with friends. I enjoy the characters, the depictions of life in a smallish town, the family drama (whether blood family or chosen family), and the negotiations through relationships growing and changing. Plus there's always a c
Rowena
This was my first introduction to Zoe, Pete, and the various a sundry characters and I absolutely loved it! I now have to go back and read the first six. I immediately understood and related to Zoe and all of her relationships, professional and personal, read naturally and real, which is quite a feat seven books in without having the benefit of the previous installments.

That said, what really kept me turning the pages well passed my bedtime was an absolutely intriguing plot! I was honestly surpr
Brenda
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent Zoe Chambers Mystery. For best enjoyment of Cry Wolf I recommend starting the series with Book 1 - Circle of Influence. You'll be glad you did!

In her desperate hope of "family" Zoe rushes in to believe she has an older half-brother, Jason Cox.

Harry Adams, Pete's Dad, is insistent that people in his assisted living facility are being murdered. When newest resident, John Kinney, is murdered Zoe & Pete scramble to protect Harry.

Zoe steps in as acting coroner when Franklin is h
DianeG
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, mystery
Zoe and Pete are up to their eyeballs in problems. Between the two of them they find themselves overworked, overspent and at odds with each other. Pete is dealing with a man down in the police department and putting in a lot of overtime, both on the job and with the officer who is down, while Zoe finds herself as the acting coroner when her boss takes ill. Between the extra cases of squabbling neighbors, a murder at the assisted living center where Pete's dad is living and Zoe's never heard of o ...more
JoAnne McMaster (Any Good Book)
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries
Zoe Chambers, paramedic and deputy coroner, has been working overtime in Vance Township. Her boyfriend, Police Chief Pete Adams, has been doing the same since he's down one officer, a young man who had to take a life not long ago and has been having trouble dealing with the aftermath; even though in doing so he saved Zoe from certain death. But when the coroner becomes ill, Zoe is temporarily promoted into the job, giving her even more responsibility.

When Zoe and Pete are visiting his father at
RO G'ma
Cry Wolf is the seventh book in Annette Dashofy’s Zoe Chambers Mysteries series. The storyline is well plotted, the characters are well developed and complex, and there are lots of twists and turns to keep the reader engaged. There’s a lot going on in this fast-paced book and it was hard to put it down. This book contains a good mix of complex mystery, family, friendship, and soul searching. Cry Wolf is a great read; however, it’s a little edgier and contains more adult language than most cozy m ...more
Frances  Joyce
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cry Wolf is the seventh book in the Zoe Chambers Mystery series by Annette Dashofy.
One of the many things I like about this series is each mystery can stand alone while still fitting seamlessly into the series.
Dashofy, a Washington County, PA native, is a USA Today best selling author and three time Agatha Award nominee. Her main character, Zoe Chambers, is a paramedic and the deputy coroner for Vance Township in rural Pennsylvania. Zoe is smart, beautiful and independent, three qualities that
Angela Jett
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 (out of 5) stars
This is the first Zoe Chambers mystery that I have read, and this series can definitely be read as standalones. There is some character threads that need to be picked up, but the author does a good job of filling in the gaps so the reader can focus on the story.
Zoe Chambers’ main job is as a paramedic, but she is also a deputy coroner. When the corner, Franklin, notifies her he is in the hospital, Zoe ends up taking on the full responsibilities as coroner. Zoe is kept busy w
Joanne
Cry Wolf is the seventh book in Annette Dashofy’s Zoe Chambers Mysteries series. This is the second Zoe Chambers mystery that I have read (No Way Home the 5th book in this series was the first) and this book is just as thrilling as “No Way Home”. Ms. Dashofy has penned a story that is exciting and suspenseful with take your breath away moments. Both books that I’ve read can be read as standalones. Readers will recognize marked character development reading the book series in order. Zoe Chambers ...more
Mary Garrett
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Zoe and Pete are such a great team, and it’s good that they have many trustworthy allies, because it’s just one problem after another in Annette Dashofy’s CRY WOLF.
It begins with a knife attack on a man dumping grass clippings in a pasture despite warnings that it could cause the horses to founder and perhaps even die. (I didn’t know that. Did you? This is a most worthy bit of public education).
Things become complicated with a long-lost half-brother entering Zoe’s life, the death of Pete’s fir
Lorraine Kraft
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Police Chief, Pete Adams, is starting to feel the strain of having to work extra shifts due to being down an officer. One of the calls he responds to is feuding neighbors and when Pete responds to another call at the same location, it's to find one of the feuding neighbors dead.

Zoe Chambers, a paramedic and deputy coroner and Pete's girlfriend leads the investigation in the coroner's office when her boss, Franklin Marshall, falls ill and sent is to the hospital.
Zoe and Pete go to Golden Oaks N
Jeanie Jackson
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read, cozy, 1
Cry Wolf combines the solid grit of realism with a personal warmth that make the characters and the story irresistible. From the first page, this novel pulled me into the lives of the people, most of whom I already love, and into the involved and unexpected plot. Like the earlier books, this offers not just a complex mystery but also the depth of character and relationships that despite the tears I shed, leaves me wanting the next book NOW!
When Pete Adams hears that a man has called Zoe out of
Lghiggins
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Readers get to ride along briefly with Zoe Chambers as she completes her nonstop shift as a Monongahela County EMS paramedic responding to a machete attack. As interesting as that is, it only gets more so as the characters involved are soon also identified as part of murder scenarios. In Cry Wolf, Annette Dashofy continues the personal tale of Zoe and her boyfriend, Pete Adams, who is Vance Township’s Chief of Police. The network expands to include Harry, Pete’s father with Alzheimer’s and Jason ...more
Laura Reading
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This can be read as a stand alone but you may appreciate the characters more if you have been introduced to them in previous books of this series and have seen their growth. You will especially get a better understanding of the relationship between Zoe and her mother.

The book begins on a full moon evening along with all the zany calls police and medical personnel receive. A good portion of the action also relates to the Golden Oaks Assisted Living facility where the police chief's father resides
November Is Nyarlathotep
Review of CRY WOLF by Annette Dashofy
(A Zoe Chambers Mystery Book 7)

Zoe Chambers is always a protagonist easy to identify with, and the reader always cheers her on. In this installment, she is steadily trying to repair the many problems on the farm her mother deeded to her, without sufficient finances or time, but with diligence and will and determination. A health issue with the Coroner makes Zoe a temporary Acting Coroner rather than just Deputy, and the sudden appearance of a brother of whom
Linda
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love reading cozy mysteries but I don't always end up reading them in order. When I read Cry Wolf, the 7th book in the Zoe Chambers Mystery books, I was happy that it worked very well as a stand alone! As soon as a I read a few pages, I was totally "into" Zoe's latest adventure. Zoe and her boyfriend, Pete Adams, have a lot going on in this installment. They both are over worked; Zoe as a paramedic/deputy coroner, and Pete as the Police Chief. To add to their work loads, a suspicious death has ...more
Vicki
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a series that I have read for a while. I find that each book adds to the continuing story and presents and different and unusual whodunnit to solve.

In this story Zoe Chambers, our sleuth, is trying to solve the mystery of a murder at an assisted living facility. Her boyfriend Pete Adams, who is the chief of police, is also concerned as his father is a resident at the facility.

While their investigation coincides, they don’t work side by side. The story follows each of them as they put clu
Pamela Mitchell
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was totally entertained and intrigued from the first page to the last with captivating characters, small town atmosphere, and a well-crafted mystery that quickly became a page-turner including great suspects, twists and turns, I really like paramedic and deputy coroner Zoe Chambers and her dynamic with the other characters especially Police Chief Pete Adams. Ms. Dashofy never disappoints and I look forward to reading book eight in this fantastic series. If you enjoy well written mysteries with ...more
Grace Koshida
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The suspicious death of retired cop John Kinney at the Golden Oaks Assisted Living centre brings paramedic/deputy coroner Zoe Chambers and state detective Wayne Baronick into the investigation.
Zoe is temporarily in charge of the county coroner’s office when her boss is hospitalized.

Zoe is busy enough when she gets a phone call from a man claiming to be her older half-brother. Jason Cox comes to town and ends up winning Zoe over. But Zoe's boyfriend, Vance Township police chief Pete Adams is no
Marissa
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kindle Copy for Review from Edelweiss

Once again Zoe Chambers has return with Police Chief Pete Adams. This time Golden Oaks Assisted Living is the hot spot when a dead body is found. Pete is down an officer and Zoe’s boss is in the hospital and she is put in charge of the investigation.

Throw in an unknown protective older brother who surfaces and tries to interfere with Pete and Zoe’s budding relationship. Nothing every goes smoothly when another body is found. What is going on at Golden Oaks?

A
Celia
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Zoe Chambers Mysteries have jumped to the top of my favorite series to read -- every book is engaging, well-written and a page-turner. In CRY WOLF, Police Chief Pete Adam's father, who lives in an assisted living facility due to his progressing Alzheimer's, is convinced that the residents there are being murdered. When one of the residents IS actually a victim of foul play, it's up to Pete and Paramedic/Deputy Coroner Zoe Chambers to solve the case and keep Pete's Dad safe. Add to the mix a ...more
Sandy
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, mystery
I always enjoy the realism of the characters and the settings in the Zoe Chambers books. And the fact that the characters evolve and grow from book to book as they deal with changes in living situations, careers and family. All of these come into play in Cry Wolf; a book filled with multiple plot twists and suspects. It’s one of those rare books for me where I kept telling myself I was going to put it down after I just read one more chapter.
Mary
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another super good read from Annette Dashofy. Interesting characters and surprises sprinkled here and there kept my interested and had me turning pages until well after my bedtime. I saw some of the events coming and was able to put the pieces together just a step or two before Zoe but Pete was a bit ahead of me. Just a bit. I don't know what it is about this series but each book has kept my interest and provided many hours of good reading. Recommended.
Cathy
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's so much to like about this book! Does Zoe really have an unknown relative? Did Harry really see a murder in the assisted living? And what is up with the guy threatening to kill his next door neighbor with a machete? I could hardly put this one down. I always love visiting Zoe and her friends but just when I thought her life couldn't get any more complicated, it did. Thanks for another great book, Annette!
« previous 1 3 next »
USA Today bestselling author Annette Dashofy has spent her entire life in rural Pennsylvania surrounded by cattle and horses. When she wasn’t roaming the family’s farm or playing in the barn, she could be found reading or writing. After high school, she spent five years as an EMT on the local ambulance service, dealing with everything from drunks passing out on the sidewalk to mangled bodies in ca ...more

Zoe Chambers Mysteries (7 books)
  • Circle of Influence (Zoe Chambers Mysteries, #1)
  • Lost Legacy (Zoe Chambers Mysteries, #2)
  • Bridges Burned (Zoe Chambers Mysteries, #3)
  • With a Vengeance (Zoe Chambers Mysteries, #4)
  • No Way Home (Zoe Chambers Mysteries, #5)
  • Uneasy Prey (Zoe Chambers Mysteries #6)