Start by marking “The Die of Death (The Great Devil War #2)” as Want to Read:
The Die of Death (The Great Devil War #2)

The Die of Death

(The Great Devil War #2)

Published October 5th 2018 (first published August 31st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Die of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Die of Death

Start your review of The Die of Death (The Great Devil War #2)
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

#1 The Devil's Apprentice - ★★★★★
#2 The Die of Death - ★★★★★

The Die of Death is the second book from The Great Devil War Series, written by Kenneth B. Andersen. If you have read my review of the first book, The Devil’s Apprentice, you would be familiar with Philip.

Philip is a good boy, but he ends up in Hell by mistake. And on top of that, he is chosen to be the Devil’s Apprentice. Even though he’s always be good, he is not good at being bad.
Esther
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to the author for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This series is such a unique book series. I remember writing the review for the first book and I was reminded a bit of Harry Potter, but then the dark version with demons and devils. I still feel that way, I also feel that the book is growing with Philip and the story gets a bit darker already. The book talks more about his personal life and his fear of losing loved ones.

A longer review can be found a
Noriko
Dec 19, 2019 added it
Wow. The mystery part of this story, the main plot where Philip is summoned by Death to find and take back the stolen “Die of Death” kind of left me in two minds, but other than that this book is as entertaining and phenomenal as the previous book.

Just like the previous book, the veins of imagery and creativity marble throughout the pages and vividly create and delineate the world of Hell. In this installment, the creativity even spreads its wings to the realm of Death and fascinated me and reg
Filip
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was originally published as part of a blog tour over at my blog, The Grimoire Reliquary.

When I read The Devil’s Apprentice last year, I enjoyed it well enough, though I had a number of issues with some of the prose and saw the revelations coming from a mile away. How does its follow up compare? Read on to find out!
description

The Die of Death follows up six months after the conclusion of Apprentice. Philip has been marked by his time in Hell – no longer the angelic boy he used to be, our young protagon
Nicole (TheBookWormDrinketh)
I’ll try to write this review without just gushing and saying “read it”… But, you need to read this series! I honestly feel like it could be the next Harry Potter!!….Dark Harry Potter?? Ok, honestly I hate comparing it like this, because I like this so much better! I know… Sacrilege. You’d get what I mean if you read it.. And, have a bit of a dark side.

The life lessons in this novel, and I do mean that literally. There are so many questions: “Is Death pre-determined?” “What is a Fate worse than
KitKat The #BookNerd KBbookreviews
The Die Of Death, by Kenneth B Andersen is a fantastic and fun sequel to The Devil’s Apprentice! This book is full of brilliant world-building, interesting characters and fun twists that keep you thoroughly entertained.

Synopsis: Philip’s days in Hell have changed him for the better, he now has friends to spend his time with and no longer follows every single rule applied to him. But, Philip misses his friends in Hell, though he may see them sooner than he thinks. When Death discovers an importan
Didi Oviatt
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First off, don’t let the title of this book fool you. Although Death is indeed a physical, human-like being in the story, it isn’t actually about him dying like you might at first assume by the title. Death, the creepy old man that he is, rolls dice with another HUGE player in the game of life and afterlife, to determine the life-span of humans. I know, crafty, right?! I thought that aspect was pretty cool myself!
The character of Death was introduced in Book 1 of the series, of course, and conti
Shanannigans
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again, I am loving these books! If you’ve read my review of The Devil’s Apprentice, you’ll know just how impressed I was with the characters and world building in the story. It’s so unique and fun! Yes fun! Sure, it’s a little dark but it such a great reading experience!

Book #2 in the series is no different! Philip “dies” again but this time he is summoned back to Hell for Death himself! After saving the “Great Devil”, Death is convinced Philip is the only one
Jonathan Pongratz
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Original Review at Jaunts & Haunts

3.5/5

I gave this book three and a half die-rolling stars.

It pained me to give this book this rating to be honest. Reading the first book, I fell in love with the creepy world of Hell that we were introduced to and the main character Phillip.

However, this time around, there were some things I couldn’t ignore that bugged me. Don’t get me wrong, there was plenty of great stuff in this book, I just felt it paled in comparison to the first one.

So in a nutshell, Phill
Olga Miret
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I reviewed the first book in this series for Rosie’s Book Review Team, the author was kind enough to send me the second. There are, at least for the moment, four more to come (you can check them in the author’s website), and I, for starters, I’m looking forward to them.
The second book in the series picks up where the first one left, a few months after the protagonist, Philip visited Hell, and we see what has happened to him when he went back to life. Things are looking up for him. He has ma
Tavleen Kaur
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
The Die of Death is the second installment in The Great Devil War series by Kenneth B. Andersen. Check out my review of the first book The Devil’s Apprentice! This series follows a middle-grade boy Phillip, who finds himself in hell after being accidentally killed. He doesn’t belong in hell since he is inherently very good-natured. The first book narrates his dilemma of whether he should to be good person or embrace his bad side which is brought out by staying in Hell. He meets some very interes ...more
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Evelina | AvalinahsBooks by: thewritereads.com
How I read this: free review copy for blog tour, also purchased

There are so many reasons I love this series and this book. I sometimes worry about sequels, but I really shouldn’t have for this one – the sequel to The Devil's Apprentice certainly didn’t disappoint! It read just as easily, in fact, I finished it in one day and immensely enjoyed it. Can’t wait to get my hands on the next one! Here's a full review on my blog, if you want to find out more about why I recommend reading it:
Misty's Book Space

Back in November the author reached out to me and asked me if I would be interested in reading and reviewing his book The Devil's Apprentice which is the first book in this series. I have to admit that I almost turned it down solely because I wasn't a fan of the cover but then I read the synopsis and was intrigued. I am so glad I didn't turn down reading the first book because it became a favorite and now I am here to review book 2. The author was kind enough to provide me with books 2
Dini - dinipandareads
3.5 stars rounded up

It was nice to come back to Philip's story and see what happens in the second book of The Great Devil War series. Quite a bit of time has passed since we last met Philip and as we know from book one, he experienced quite a lot of growth (in both good and bad ways!) since his time spent in Hell as the Devil's apprentice. Sure, in many ways, Philip is still a 'good boy' but he's certainly no longer an angel. It was nice to see him slowly start to make friends in this book and t
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
Book source ~ Tour

14-yr-old Philip Engel has survived relatively unscathed during his time as apprentice to Lucifer. He’s been sent back to Earth with a soul that’s a little less angelic which garners him some actual friends at school. When Death comes knocking though, back he goes to the Underworld. Mortimer’s Die has been stolen and he desperately needs Philip’s help to find it before the natural order of things is completely out of whack. Satina, his devil friend, is there to help while they
Anca Antoci
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the Great Devil War series and I enjoyed it as much The first one, The Devil’s Apprentice.

The story continues where it left off in book one, with Philip a changed boy, no longer the “angel” he was at the beginning of his journey.

This time, Philip dies again for all intents and purposes and reaches Hell. He is greeted by Satina, a demon friend he made in his previous journey to Hell, that he had missed dearly. Thus he learns that he’d been summoned by Mortimer, Death hi
Kaili (Entertainingly Nerdy)
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
I liked the first one but I think I actually liked this one better. I love how Kenneth is really good with story telling. He builds a world up and makes me feel like I'm there with Phillip. The only thing I wish is that Phillip wasn't so juvenile. With the way kids are now he doesn't really seem to fit. But he is a likeable character!
Devyani
My Rating: 4.5 stars

This Review is part of #TheDieofDeath #UltimateBlogTour hosted by TheWriteReads

Thanks a ton, Dave from @TheWriteReads and the author-Kenneth B. Andersen, for giving me this opportunity and providing me with a free e-book copy of ‘The Die of Death’ on exchange for an honest and unbiased opinion.

Just like the previous book in the series, The Die of Death has a cover captivating enough to grab the reader’s attention at first sight. Mortimer -the Death himself, with facial featur
Melissa
Apr 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never Enough Books Logo

This book was provided for review by the author and The Write Reads. Thank you!

The Die of Death by Kenneth B. Andersen is the second book in his very popular The Great Devil War series. Picking up roughly six month after the events of the first book in the series – The Devil’s Apprentice – we are once again reunited with the main character Philip.

Much has changed for Philip since his time in Hell. No longer the ‘goody two shoes’ that he was in the first book, he has made new friends from old
Billie
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Philip's adventures as the Devil's apprentice have changed him—in a good way. Although he misses his friends in Hell, he has made new friends in life. But when the future of the underworld is threatened once again, Philip’s help is needed. Death's Die has been stolen and immortality is spreading across the globe. Philip throws himself into the search—and discovers a horrible truth about his own life along the way.
The Die of Death is volume 2 in The Great Devil War-series.

Picking up a few months
Jackie
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great book following the first. Couldn’t read it fast enough
Zaneta  @ I'm Fully Booked

*First and foremost, I have received a free e-copy from the author in exchange for an honest review.*

This series really took me by surprise. I mean it in the best way possible. As I said in my first review, I was afraid it wouldn't be my cup of tea (for reasons unknown to me), but the first book turned out to be a great, super fun and original adventure story. I'm happy to report the second book didn't disappoint either!

We start not too long after we left off. After his time in Hell, Philip come
allieereads
I just want to place my initial reaction in the aftermath of reading the first 50 pages:

Oh wow. When I say that the first 50 pages of Die of Death is a whirlwind of action and I was on the edge of my seat, thinking WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING?!

It’s an understatement.

I think one of the things that I thoroughly enjoyed from Kenneth B. Anderson’s Devil’s Apprentice, which is book one of The Great Devil War, I claimed that the action element and the pacing of the novel was one of its strengths. Ther
Jolie
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
The cover of The Die of Death was the first thing that I noticed about the book. It is one of the more arresting covers that I have seen, ever. It caught my eye and made me wonder what the book was going to be like.

The Die of Death is the 2nd book in The Great Devil War series. You cannot read this as a stand-alone. It will help if you read the previous books to understand what was going on in this book. I can’t stress this enough. You will be lost if you decide to read The Die of Death first.

Th
Nick Borrelli
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story picks up not too long after the events that concluded The Devil's Apprentice. Philip is back above ground, so to speak, after his adventures in Hell. In the first book, Philip was accidentally sent to the underworld in a case of mistaken identity and found himself being groomed to take over the top job by the head honcho Satan himself. Philip learned a lot about himself during the time he spent in Hell, including his capacity to shed his goodie goodie persona for one that was a little ...more
Kirsty
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Die of Death is the second book in The Great Devil War. I reviewed the first book, The Devils Apprentice, and you can read that here. I would highly recommend reading them in order for maximum enjoyment.

Since his trip to Hell, Philip is a changed boy. He isn’t the perfect boy he was before, he’s rule breaking and has friends for the first time in his life. He’s still in essence a lovely boy, he’s just more well-rounded now.

Just like the first book, this one also has an interesting premise.
Tricia Varosky
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit, I went into this book not sure how it would pick up where The Devil’s Apprentice left off. After all, Philip was alive again, unable to further meddle in the goings on of the Afterlife. Was this going to be about another youngster who managed to impact the Afterlife? Thankfully, the answer to that question was no. Philip was brought back and the relationships he made during his last visit lead to this visit being even more chock full of adventure. Which really is a good thing, b ...more
Don Jimmy Reviews
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Die of Death picks up 6 months after the events of book one, so there may be some ever so slight spoilers ahead. We join Philip back in the land of mortals and it is fair to say his experiences in hell have brought about some changes. The once ideal student has started to slack a bit, and has started taking risks that he wouldn't have taken before. The risks have started to reap rewards, and he now has a few friends - things seem to be going quite swimmingly, until he finds himself back in h ...more
Elizabeth Tabler
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Die of Death is the second book in The Great Devil War series by author by Kenneth B. Andersen and is an exciting second act to human, Phillip Engel's story. Thus far, protagonist Phillip Engel is back in his regular life. He is changed from the experiences of the first book. Now instead of being all angel, Phillip is a little bit of a devil. Just a little bit to temper his character. You can't go to hell and not be a little bit changed, and I think in terms of Phillip's character, for the b ...more
Kimberly
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kenneth Andersen has brought his A-game once again in the second installment of the Great Devil War series, The Die of Death. A brand-new story within the Hellish world I have come to love.

I can’t go on enough about this series. I don’t know how Andersen has done it, but this novel could almost be a stand-alone novel within the greater series. I am continually being surprised by this author.

Philip is killed once again, though this time on purpose. Death has a mission for him, and Philip is the

• Harrow Lake
  • Magic Unleashed (Venators, #1)
  • The Beast and the Bethany
  • Promises Forged (Venators #2)
  • Knightmare Arcanist (Frith Chronicles, #1)
  • The Ship of Shadows
  • Catalyst (The Catalysts, #2)
  • De hvide mænd
  • Crossing in Time (Between Two Evils, #1)
  • The Inheritance Games (The Inheritance Games, #1)
  • Hjernen Bag Astralis
  • Ildprøven (Vildheks, #1)
  • 5 ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES
  • Rise of Gaia
  • The Shamer's Daughter (The Shamer Chronicles, #1)
  • Kingshold (The Wildfire Cycle #1)
  • May Day (Seekers, #1)
  • The First of Shadows (The Riven Realm #1)
I was born in Denmark  on a dark and stormy night in November  1976. I began writing when I was a teenager. My first book was a really awful horror novel titled Nidhug's Slaves. It didn't get published. Luckily.

During the next 7 years, I wrote nearly 20 novels--all of which were rejected--while working as a school teacher. The rest of the time I spent writing.

In 2000 I published my debut fantasy b

The Great Devil War (6 books)
  • The Devil's Apprentice (The Great Devil War, #1)
  • The Wrongful Death (The Great Devil War, #3)
  • The Angel of Evil (The Great Devil War, #4)
  • The Fallen Angel (The Great Devil War, #5)
  • The Fallen Devil (The Great Devil War, #6)