Start by marking “Bargaining with the Devil (Death and the Devil, #1.4)” as Want to Read:
Bargaining with the Devil (Death and the Devil, #1.4)

Bargaining with the Devil

(Death and the Devil #1.4)

Meta-State spy Jack Reardon believes it’s all been taken care of. He has his verbal agreement with his boss to “keep Blade happy,” and Jack is more than willing to do his best in that regard. He also has his bargain with Ethan, to keep seeing each other whenever they cross paths. Small victories, interspersed with exploding bombs, smashed cars and miffed co-workers, all wh ...more
Published June 30th 2018 by L.J. Hayward

To ask other readers questions about Bargaining with the Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bargaining with the Devil

Start your review of Bargaining with the Devil (Death and the Devil, #1.4)
Simone
"It's just sex."

That's the arrangement Jack and Ethan made after Where Death Meets the Devil. And it is, right? Casual. Convenient. No strings attached.
More gay love and gay couples.All that is in a gay life full of love on restoringlove.com.

Ethan began to move. Slow, steady rolls of his hips that gently drove Jack insane. To watch and feel without touching him, or cursing in overpowering hunger, or telling him, showing him, how fucking good it was, how beautiful and amazing he was, was maddening. Frustrating. Painful.

Glorious.
Shile
Jack, who is Harry?

Yeah Ethan! tell me again that it is just SEX.

description

In this case Assassins, Ethan is no Saint.

What's not to love! we have:

- HOT! HOT! Sex, No Kiss.........

description

-Jealous, blushing Assassins... huh! but we be good.

- Spy covered in Glitter, wearing lipstick , red briefs and boots. Yaap! consider me a goner.

* A Reader Obsessed *
4 Stars

3 short stories showing how Jack and Ethan are navigating their new relationship parameters. It’s full of missteps, misunderstandings, but also hope and tentative feels and an obvious preference for the other though nothing has been officially said.

Swoony in the little things, these two have a lot ahead of them in regards to relationship progression but it’s the small wins that make this so satisfying!
Shin Mon Thway
Seriously, what’s not to like? 😏 Blushing international assassins and undercover spies in skimpy red briefs and devil suits, Ooooooo, Shin so likey! 😁😍 Let’s face the facts. We love Jack and Ethan, both can’t be claimed as saints, particularly and crazy bastard Ethan but we adore them. 😉 We also adore that dry and uniquely witty and amusing humor of L.J. Hayward and that just enough and still-wanting-more chemistry and sizzling smut between these two. 🔥 It was nice to see the relationship betwe ...more
Wendy

Another wonderful novella, following my two favorite badasses Jack and Ethan. We are all on pins and needles waiting for the second book to come out, but these awesome novellas are keeping me at least (don't know about you all) satisfied.

This one is a bit bigger than the previous one....and even though great things come in small packages... I still like em the bigger the better :P

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor the bigger the better gif

I had a great time seeing these two getting closer and closer... It had a sweetness to it ;) It was also extremely HO
Ariana
Reread August 2019

How much more starry-eyed can I possible get over Jack and Ethan????

From the first admissions of feelings …

“Jack brought one hand around his chest, splayed his fingers over Ethan’s heart and let the intoxicating mix of dark and light sweep him away. The pounding of his heart was drowned out by the grenade under his ribs, heat washing thorough him, into toes and fingers, but burning right in the centre of his chest.”

“I didn’t fall asleep last time,” Ethan snapped. “I didn’t feel
Jewel
4.5 Stars

I need book 2 so so now!!!
Christelle
Follow up from Where Death Meets the Devil - not a standalone !

After the unique encounter of Jack, an Australian government agent, and Ethan, a highly professional assassin, a story that I furiously devored, the author gives us a snippet of the evolution of this improbable relationship.

God, how I thoroughly enjoy the dance between these unique characters, the way they slowly get comfortable together, the way they stubbornly refuse to admit this is it for them.
OK, Jack and Ethan, let’s ignored
Teal
This novella consists of three chapters, or three short stories, depending on how you choose to define it. The chapters/stories play out chronologically after the preceding entries in the series, Where Death Meets the Devil (novel), and the freebie Where Death Meets the Devil :Coda (short story). There would be no point in reading this book until you've read those.

The problem I've had with the series to-date continues here: While Jack comes vividly to life on the page, Ethan never quite seems re
haletostilinski
A great short story to further along Jack and Ethan's relationship. I still feel like they have a long way to go until they get to love (Jack still won't kiss Ethan on the mouth and it's only about 3 months after "coda" when they made their "lets fuck sometimes" arrangement, and Ethan is off doing his assassin thing and Jack is doing this job thing for so long sometimes that they saw each other like...once a month in those three months. They aren't exclusive, and (view spoiler) ...more
Ky
I'm really not surprised at all that I ended up absolutely loving this trio of short stories. Jack and Ethan are exactly as I remembered them: frustrating and awesome at the same time. Each short story takes place a month after the previous one and shows us how the arrangement they settled on in Where Death Meets the Devil :Coda is going so far.

They are still very cautious with each other, they keep some things close to the chest and are afraid to show too much to the other. Still, it's apparent
Renée
~4.5 stars~

That was SO good. Novella-length only (and three small stories, at that), this one packed a punch I wasn't expecting.

I got not only a dose of Jack and Ethan (who are both far too enigmatic for my tastes, and I need to know them more), but I got my catnip - relationship angst!

I'm left salivating. I need Book 2 yesterday.
 ⚣ Marco ⚣
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed these 3 short stories; each one of them added another layer to Jack and Ethan's blossoming relationship. Now, could we finally start talking about exclusivity? Please?
Alex
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: steamy, fav-mc, favorite
I am so infatuated with Ethan & Jack!

I read that we will have 2 more novellas before the second book at the end of this year and I am so excited about that because I could read these novellas about how their feelings are growing over and over again!

Everything about this is PERFECT!

Meep
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: extra-coda
RE-READ: I'm not sure I'd rate as high, while I love the characters I'm not a fan of these 'extras' that aren't really extras. While the pace is different to the novels and focus more on the tentative relationship than spy-action they do advance the overall plot so are necessary reading. The first story feels a lot of summarising rather than showing.
Definitely left me with the feel of M.Chandlers Templar series, the assasin (thief in those) suddenly involved in every case.

-- --
Pre-order to get t
Jassy
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
**4.75 stars**

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that I should re-rate book 1. I love Ethan and Jack as a couple even if they are still insecure about each other and their bargain is 'just sex'. Yeah, I am absolutely not buying that :P
When Ethan fell asleep in Jacks apartment - like really asleep - it obviously scared the hell out of him. But I loved that development of trust. It's point on my favorite trope and so very well done. Ethan is sweet when he tries to help Jack becaus
ReadingAllNite
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just love these extra glimpses into Ethan and Jack’s still-evolving relationship after the end of Where Death Meets the Devil. “It’s complicated” is an understatement in this instance, when an agent of the government is dating an assassin. The emotional distance they both try to maintain is slowly breaking down, although we don’t see it fall in this short trio of vignettes. It’s so sexy and romantic to see the expressions of emotion, portrayed in their own unique way. Lots of fun and scorching ...more
Zuzu
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Jack and Ethan
Alisa
Another good installment in this series. I'm so glad the author decided to not stop after the first book. Can't wait till these two admit they're in love with each other. AND KISS FINALLY!
Amanda
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A few short scenes with Ethan turning up at Jack's home at random times, Ethan trying to secure Jack's home like Fort Knox. Ethan interfering with Jack's assignment. Plenty of sexy times and the whole no kissing thing is driving me crazy!
Chris
The chemistry with these two is smokin hot ! They have a unique way of communication but it works for them... it’s clear they love and adore each other, they just don’t know that yet !
fleurette
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read it just last night and loved it. It's a great instalment, while we are waiting for the second book in the series to be out. This one is more on the romance than suspense part, Ethan and Jack have quite a bit of sex and they are working out some issues in their unusual relationship. (view spoiler) I rarely do novellas, even t ...more
Lisazj1
Every single time they're together, it sets off my own chest grenades. <3 ...more
Bibliophile
Can we chain Hayward to a chair and force her to write the next installment of this series stat? No? Are you sure?

This is such an unusual series! I love it! It's not often you have an MC that the other one fears, lusts after, and wants to protect at the same time. And Ethan is such an interesting and deadly enigma! Add to that the lusty/emotional scenes, the action-packed sequences, and the surprising moment of humor and you get, well, a damn good read.

I could go on and on about why I love thi
Bev
Love these two...and yes, they are in love, no matter what they try to tell each other...or not, as the case may be 😊. Liked the sound of the 'Angel' too 😉. Come on January...
TT
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack: 'Crazy bastard'
Ethan: 'Half right Jack'
Me: 'Just kiss dammit!!'
Great novella, sexy fun!
Fritz42
Anytime I can spend with Jack and Ethan again is a good time. This is a number of small short stories, detailing the times Ethan loops back into Jack's life. Their sexual chemistry is as incredibly hot as always, but there is definitely something else fueling their interactions. At least Jack was courageous enough to reveal the ghost of some of those feelings when he absolutely needed to. I love how he can read Ethan's behavior, even though he still fears that one day Ethan just might kill him. ...more
Sahitya
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star
I can’t believe I’m saying this but I loved this novella even more than the original.

Jack and Ethan decided that they would keep things between them physical whenever they cross paths but looks like that’s happening way too often. Ethan can’t seem to want to keep away and keep interfering in Jack’s operations. It’s also probably because he is concerned for Jack’s safety and wants to make sure he is doing fine, but will never say it out loud. Jack knows that he is developing feelings for Ethan t
Skirmish
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq
Book Reaction: https://neverhollowed.com/2018/07/04/...
Rating: 5 Stars - absolutely perfect
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Chip and a Chair (Seven of Spades, #5)
  • The Wolf at Bay (Big Bad Wolf, #2)
  • One-Eyed Royals (Seven of Spades, #4)
  • Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Big Bad Wolf, #4)
  • Cash Plays (Seven of Spades, #3)
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • The Wolf at the Door (Big Bad Wolf, #1)
  • Trick Roller (Seven of Spades, #2)
  • Kill Game (Seven of Spades, #1)
  • The Cardigans (Criminal Intentions: Season One #1)
  • Principles of Spookology (The Spectral Files, #2)
  • Cult of Personality (Criminal Intentions: Season One #7)
  • Prince of Killers (Fog City, #1)
  • A Single Bright Candle's Flame (Criminal Intentions: Season One #9)
  • Crescendo (Criminal Intentions: Season One #11)
  • Junk Shop Blues (Criminal Intentions: Season One #2)
  • Where There’s Smoke (Criminal Intentions: Season One #6)
  • Collateral Damage (Criminal Intentions: Season One, #8)
L.J. Hayward has been telling stories for most of her life, a good deal of them of the tall variety. She loves reading but doesn’t seem to have enough time between wanting to be a more disciplined writer, being the actual erratic writer she is, and working for dollars in a dungeon laboratory. She also lives on the Gold Coast in Queensland, but rarely sees a beach and can’t surf, though she thinks ...more

Death and the Devil (3 books)
  • Where Death Meets the Devil (Death and the Devil, #1)
  • Why the Devil Stalks Death (Death and the Devil, #2)
  • When Death Frees the Devil (Death and the Devil, #3)