Start by marking “Game Changer (Game Changers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Game Changer (Game Changers, #1)

Game Changer

(Game Changers #1)

New York Admirals captain Scott Hunter takes his pregame rituals very seriously. In this case, it’s not just a lucky smoothie he’s craving—it’s the man who made it.

Pro hockey star Scott Hunter knows a good thing when he sees it. So, when a smoothie made by juice bar barista Kip Grady precedes Scott breaking his on-ice slump, he’s desperate to recreate the magic...and t
Published October 22nd 2018 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about Game Changer, please sign up.
Rachel Reid There is!!! The audiobooks for both Game Changer and Heated Rivalry will be available in October! I'm super excited to hear them. The third book in th…moreThere is!!! The audiobooks for both Game Changer and Heated Rivalry will be available in October! I'm super excited to hear them. The third book in the series, Tough Guy, will also be released as an audiobook.(less)

Start your review of Game Changer (Game Changers, #1)
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
I've never watched a hockey game in my life, but I love books about hockey players. Because HOCKEY PLAYERS. No explanation required.

Scott Hunter is a closeted star hockey player, team captain, and a minor celebrity in New York. His team is having an amazing season, but he's not bringing his A game. One day, he stops by a smoothie shop and orders a blueberry concoction. The smoothie is good, but the guy who makes it is even better.

Kip is 25 and has an undergrad degree in history. He has no real
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*2.5 stars*

I almost rounded up with this one because the ending was 1000% better than the first half, but I remembered how much I didn't enjoy the first 50% of the story and I couldn't do it.

Look, I think a ton of people are going to love this one. It's a cute story about a closeted hockey player (automatic bonus points because HOCKEY) and his smoothie-making love interest. There is a lot of sex (more on that later), and I know the story will find its fan base. However, this wasn't the kind of
Shile
3.5 cute sugar coma stars

This was me while reading this book!

description

M C 1: Kip! Like Carter, I like that name- Kip is an out and proud smoothie maker at Straw+Berry place, with a History degree that he has no idea how to use. I loved Kip, he is so adorable, loving, cute.

MC 2: Scott is a closeted hockey star and a sports celebrity. I liked Scott, he is charming, a great hockey player, and so cute. But at some point I wanted to slap him hard for dragging Kip back into the closet.

These two meet when Sco
Wendy
4_star.png (1021×166)

I was sold the moment I read the blurb for this book. I mean "Hockey players" ... no way I was gonna pass up on this one !!! Everyone knows I love a good "Sports Romance" and hockey is definitely my favorite ;)

Scott Hunter is the captain of the New York Admirals Hockey team. He is also very much in the closet. So much so, that he only hooks up when he's on vacation in countries where they don't recognise him.

A blueberry smoothie (well there was some kale as well) is about to change of all this t
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
If you drank a can of sweetened condensed milk that might get you in the neighborhood of how sweet this book is.

It's a sugar plum fairy dressed up as a unicorn handing out rainbows of Skittles.

When Kip and Scott (shipped=Skip) aren't mooning over each other they're punching their tickets to Pound Town. They're there so often that the front desk clerk is all...

It is a little much but I gotta be honest, it's difficult to hate on two dudes who are this into each other. Skip fall hard and fast
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
Audio - 1.5 Star

All I can say is that the narrator's performance, though not perfect, improves in the second book. His performance as Kip was painful to listen to. Like I stated in my update, to me, it sounded like either Kip had a speech impediment or like he was doing a bad impersonation of Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Story - 3.5 Stars

Not as good as book 2 but still quite enjoyable.
~Mindy Lynn~
4 Stars!

I am a sucker for a sports romance. It doesn't matter the sport. I have no idea what is going on in the hockey world nor have I ever watched a game, but I enjoy reading books with this sport. I am a football fan. I get the lingo and the rules. Any other sport, not so much. Still, I one-click or request these babies right up.

Game Changer was an enjoyable tale about a closeted man who falls for an out and proud man and who struggles with the choice of coming out for the sake of love.
Moony Eliver
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbtqia, m-m, hockey, 2019
Based on friends' reviews, I didn't expect this one to be as good as Heated Rivalry (which I freaking LOVED), but I still wanted to read it, mostly for Ilya cameos. 😁 And I figured it would surely have a little of the strength of HR.

Not so much. I'm not in a review-writing mood but I'll leave it at this: there was no tension between these two whatsoever. It felt like I was reading about two frolicking puppies except when they were having sex, and then it was just slightly older frolicking puppie
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
4.5 Stars!

Loved this one. It was super engaging and addictive to read.

Pretty much ticked all of my boxes:
—sports
—banter
—steam
—low angst
—super sweet and swoon worthy without being cheesy

The ONLY reason I’m rounding down instead of up was (view spoiler).

Great debut from a new author that’s definitely going to be on my radar! Hope this bec
Cadiva
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oooh I loved this one. I totally get what Dani meant though with her comment that there's lots of sex because there definitely is!

However, I didn't find it too overwhelming or that the narrative was missing out on story development because of all the sex. I think it felt believable for me that a closeted ice hockey star would go absolutely nuts once he'd found someone he trusted enough to be himself with and Scott and Kip were smoking hot!

I absolutely adored the meet/cute in this one. Scott co
Zoe
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Seductive, passionate, and timely!

Game Changer is an engrossing, sensuous, sports romance that features the lonely, closeted Scott, and the handsome, fun-loving Kip as they engage in a love affair strife with issues of insecurities, hidden sexuality, and the stigma and stereotypical mentality surrounding professional sports.

The prose is fervent and sincere. The characters are well-drawn, vulnerable, and endearing. And the plot is an alluring tale full of explosive attraction, heartfelt emotion,
Christelle
Actually, I wanted to read “Heated Rivalry” but it’s part of a series, so I started with that one. But, it didn’t really worked well. Not bad, but nothing standing out for me, just a “neutral” MM sport romance read : nothing that irked me, just like Ky (who wrote a great review), the second part didn't grab me anymore, except the sex scenes : they were hot.

That said, I read Heated Rivalry right after (can be read as a standalone), and that was quite a hit. Same author, same series, but differen
Sabrina
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m still in the mood to read m/m and I’m getting so fucking satisfied.
Is just so good!! And I’m being extremely lucky to find only great romantic books to read. And sexy too, like they are all sexy.

I’m a sucker for romance and I love being a sucker for romance, is there anything better?

“He smiled at Kip, whose mouth went dry. He turned on the blender before he could say something stupid like, What do your abs taste like?”

This was a humorous, cute, sexy with a lot of character and relatio
.Lili.
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
So glad my GoodReads homie, J, told me about this one.

-It read quick
-Adorable couple
-Swoon-worthy
-Sports romance
-Closeted star hockey player for falls for regular Joe
-Banter
-Plenty of steam
-A touch of heartbreak
-Feel good vibe
-No OTT drama

*It's a little insta-lovish but I didn't mind- it reeled me right in.

Think of it as NR Walker meets Lily Morton style vibe of writing.

Rachel Reid is an author I'll be looking out for in the future. Fingers crossed a certain Russian gets a book next!

4 Solid S
Sabrina
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Get it here:
Amazon US * Amazon UK

Game Changer was a pretty sweet story. Scott and Kip had amazing chemistry and it was fun to watch their romance play out in the closet Scott had shut himself in. There were also some emotional moments that had me going crazy just wanting their relationship to have their HEA finally and let them be happy without having so many worries.

I will say that there were a few times where the story felt like it was dragging, especially around the middle where it was mainl
Xia Xia
Very happy to see how much Rachel Reid stepped up her writing game from Game Changer to Heated Rivalry. It's always impressive to see how fast an author can improve from one book to the other. Can't wait to see what she writes next.

This was a story about the perfect secret relationship. It started out cute, it ended out cute. A cinderfella story with dates under candlelight, foam baths and "I love you. I miss you. I love you" text messages sent back and forth.

For me the best parts about this b
Gigi
I’m going with 4.5 stars with this one. It was sexy with endearing characters but didn’t quite hit the 5 star sweet spot. I think it’s because the “I love you” dropped so fast. Maybe?

Recommended.
haletostilinski

I don't think a book has ever simultaneously bored me to tears and then proceeded to piss me off as much as this one did.

I didn't DNF as I wanted to in the first half because I did pay 4 bucks for this and I did see reviews that said it got better.

It did not get better for me.

It at least got less boring, which is why I gave it 1.5 stars, but then while it kept my attention it just started to piss me the fuck off. More accurately, Kip did.

The first half was basically this:

- They meet
Sanaa
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, m-m, netgalley, arc
3.75 stars.

Game Changer was an overall cute read. I love Hockey, M/M and romance so when you turn that into a book, it's what I call heaven. It was my first by Rachel and I'm glad I gave it a try. Though it's not my favorite I did enjoy it and liked the characters as well as the secondary ones. I liked that there was little to no angst. Sometimes that's exactly the type of book I'm looking for. Scott and Kip were the cutest ever when they were together.

The few reasons why I didn't give it 5
BWT (Belen)
Do you like hockey? Do you like romances featuring a gorgeous, kind, sweet, and lonely millionaire hockey player falling in love with a gorgeous, sweet, smart, and funny "regular" guy? Do you like a lot (and I mean a lot) of insanely hot sex? Do you love stories where one character is in the closet, but could decide to possibly throw his entire career away all for LOVE?

Kip Grady has a degree in history, but works in a smoothie shop while he contemplates just what he's going to do with his life.
Ky
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2019
*3.5 stars*

It's no secret that I love sports romance stories, especially hockey ones! "Game Changer" has been on my radar for more than six months but I just managed to get to it.

It's the story of Scott, a closeted hockey player and one of the most popular guys on his team, and Kip - nickname for Christopher which I like infinitely more than what he was called throughout the story - who's working at a smoothie shop while dreaming of actually using his degree in archeology some day.

Scott was havi
Hollis
Despite some of the angst surrounding this particular closeted hockey player and his circumstances, GAME CHANGER was actually.. so sweet. Like, sometimes ridiculously so. Scott is a giant burly soft cinnamon roll.

"You can't just.. change my whole life!"
"Why not? You changed mine."

And yet there's enough substance to keep this from floating off into lala land, and through Kip, Reid identifies a lot of real issues along the way regarding the very unequal power balance between them; a late-twenties
Eugenia
No. Just no. This narration has to be the WORST NARRATION EVER. What the hell kind of accent is Tor Thom going for with Kip? It’s simply painful to hear.

Author, consider another narrator for you next book (which I 5 starred, BTW)!!
Skirmish
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
Book Reaction: https://neverhollowed.wordpress.com/2...
Rating: 4.5 Stars – perfection is only half a step away
Julie Zantopoulos
This was a fun arc to read during #ContmporaryAThon and one that was needed to break up the serious books I'd been reading. This was a quick paced but very long m/m romance. I'm used to my smutty reads going a lot fast but at over 350 pages it was a very long and sometimes overwritten novel. That said, I did enjoy Kip and Scott as characters even if their relationship was incredibly, insanely, insta-lovey.

Scott is an NHL player and Kip is a smoothie maker who has no idea what to do with his deg
Lisazj1
Apr 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. This was a super sweet story and I loved both Kip and Scott, though they frustrated me a bit. Because really, how did they honestly think that was going to go? And yes, it was also a bit insta-love but I loved their chemistry and the story was engaging and anyway, hockey romances are literary crack for me. I regret nothing. ;)

For a debut, this was very well done, and believe me, I ran right to Heated Rivalry.
Truuss / Loveislovereview
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, lgbtq
I love this one... the beautiful dynamic between Kip and Scott was really well done.

It was a sweet read. Sometimes a bit bitter but both men were gorgeous together.
Scott exploring his boundaries and found out he just can’t give in....and Kip with that fact decreases his own...
Give at take... sometimes more give than take... really well written.

Their sexiness together and soon their love making was wonderful done.

it was a very smooth written journey. I love it how it was put together. Both perso
CrabbyPatty

Who doesn't love hockey? Hot sexy men on ice - skating, shooting and scoring. I mean, amiright?

Scott Hunter, captain of the Admirals, is a loner, not necessarily by choice, and hiding his sexual orientation means no romantic dinners out, no plus one for charity and team events, taking vacations where he isn't well known and picking up men away from the watchful eye of the media.

But when Scott meets Kip, everything changes. Not as quickly as Kip, who is out and proud, would like but for a man wh
Laxmama
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
I know I may be the odd one out here but this one just was not for me. There are conditions for me to enjoy reading, I like the build up of the relationship, therefore insta-love is a NO for me. This story had the two MC’s going from just looking at each other to love to quickly for my taste. The writing was a bit to campy for me, I like a fee-good story but IMO this one was too repetitive with the “I love you’s “ and no build sex scenes - by 40.% I was skimming them as they felt redundant.

I wa
Tess
Oct 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I liked the characters but this felt like too much sex and not quite enough to separate it from all of the other closeted athletes romances.

• Goalie Interference (Hat Trick, #2)
  • Hat Trick (Fake Boyfriend #5)
  • Blindsided (Fake Boyfriend #4)
  • Deke (Fake Boyfriend, #3)
  • Epic (Him, #2.5)
  • Want Me (Extracurricular Activities #1)
  • Virgin Flyer
  • Final Play (Fake Boyfriend #6)
  • Pop Star (Famous #1)
  • Trick Play (Fake Boyfriend, #2)
  • Blindside Hit (Toronto Wolverines)
  • The Nature of the Game (Stick Side #2)
  • Rocket Science (Love Logic #1)
  • Thrown Off the Ice
  • Top Secret
  • Shots on Goal (Stick Side #3)
  • Fake It 'til You Make Out (Love & Luck #1)
  • Fake Out (Fake Boyfriend, #1)
Rachel Reid is the pen name of Rachelle Goguen. She chose it because it is much easier to say, spell and remember than Rachelle Goguen!

Rachel writes cute, romantic smut, mostly about hockey players.

Rachelle co-hosts a comic book podcast called Living Between Wednesdays.

Rachel/Rachelle lives in Nova Scotia, Canada. She has always lived there, and it's looking like she probably always will. She has

Game Changers (4 books)
  • Heated Rivalry (Game Changers, #2)
  • Tough Guy (Game Changers, #3)
  • Common Goal (Game Changers, #4)