Start by marking “In the House of Aryaman, a Lonely Signal Burns (Sub-Inspector Ferron Mysteries Book 1)” as Want to Read:

A man has been turned inside-out.

Fifty years in the future, in the sleek modern city of Bangalore, a scientist working on revolutionary bioengineering techniques has been discovered inside his own locked home, his body converted into a neat toroidal package of meat. It's up to Police Sub-Inspector Ferron to unearth the victim's complicated past and solve the crime, despi
Published June 19th 2018 by Sobbing Squonk Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about In the House of Aryaman, a Lonely Signal Burns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the House of Aryaman, a Lonely Signal Burns

Start your review of In the House of Aryaman, a Lonely Signal Burns (Sub-Inspector Ferron Mysteries Book 1)
Mihir
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Completely loved this short story (novella?) by Elizabeth Bear, read the full FBC review.

OVERVIEW/ANALYSIS: Elizabeth Bear posted about this novella on her twitter feed a couple of days and that is how I came to read “In the House of Aryaman, A Lonely Signal Burns”. It was originally published in Asimov's January 2012 edition and now is featured for free on the author's site. It is a novella that consists of a procedural mystery that is mixed with SF and also deals with the exploration of a f
Daniel
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, short
4+ More, please!

Very enjoyable SF-Mystery from Bear. I'm going with a 4 on the rating as I don't really see myself rereading it, but I would definitely be up for more of them. The status is a bit confusing as the subtitle indicates a series, but a bit of digging indicates this was apparently first published (in Asimov's) in 2012 and I can't find any references to further installments, sadly.

Bear does a good job balancing the mystery elements with the detective's personal
G33z3r
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
An elegant story, a mystery, in parallel with a final message from a distant star, has a kind of haunting feeling to it.

I read this in Lightspeed Magazine in 2015.
Kathy
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it
In a few words: Do you need any more than the tagline "A man has been turned inside-out"? The Law and Order spin-off that we all deserve, if it were a police procedural set in a future India
Why: For having a baller title

Worldbuilding flavour: just right. Sort of on the line with this story, only really because it feels like a glimpse of a larger series that highlights these characters and the world they live in. Aspects of it remind me of a story in Alissa Nutting's Unclean Jobs for Women and Girls that touches/>Worldbuilding/>:
Alva
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reading this was for me a throwback to my personal golden age of reading science-fiction novellas, the Sixties and Seventies, when I'd always look forward to the novellas in the Nebula Award and Year's Best series because of that particular balance they held between short form and novelistic arc and detail. The novella always suggests the longer work that could have been published and read in its stead, bits of other narrative that would clarify or expand the meaning of what's there; but at the ...more
Iona Sharma
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, 2017
A really interesting, enjoyable SF police procedural, set in a fantastic solarpunk Bengaluru. I thought this vision of India from a non-Indian author was very thoughtful also. One minor disappointment: it’s one of those universes with designer drugs, so people can take uppers/downers when they need to without much ill-effect. I got excited at a main character who seemed to have bipolar (II) disorder, without the story actually being about that (which is something I've been searching for in SFF s ...more
Bentgaidin
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was an interesting novella, not least because everything felt so familiar that I'd swear I'd read this before, but I was still unable to remember the solution to the mystery until we were right upon it; it speaks well for the world-building and how much I'd enjoyed it. There's also some musings on personal connections in a world where it's (materially) trivially easy to screen out anything and anyone you don't want to hear from, what this does to the people doing the screening, and to those ...more
Karl
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate enough to encounter this story years ago in Elizabeth Bear's collection, Shoggoths in Bloom. Reading it again as a standalone, I am impressed to see how well the story holds up. In fact, I found deeper levels of characterization and worldbuilding than I remember. This is an excellent example of Bear's mastery of ideas and prose. Highly recommended.
Andreas
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Cyberpunkish near-future India setting with a locked-room mystery starting with This pink tube. This enormous sausage. This meaty object like a child’s toy "eel", a long squashed torus full of fluid being a human body turned inside-out.

Lots of well-researched background of Indian culture, nice projection of near-future gadgeting, suntrees, complex characters including a talking parrot cat, and some scientific elements concerning bioengineering and astronomical phenomenons.
I didn't get the sub-plot
Andi
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A perfect novelette. I sincerely hope Bear decides to explores this character- and especially this world!- in longer form.
Kelly
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
A clever short story/novella with great worldbuilding and a fun murder mystery. This sci-fi story also deals with communication, family relationships, and genetic engineering in thought-provoking ways. I think my major complaint was that it felt too short and some of the plot ideas and characters didn't get quite enough time. Hopefully Book 2+ pads out the live of Sub-Inspector Ferron and Friends more!
Gloria
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
My one complaint about this novella is that it was too short. I want to know more about Inspector Ferron, Chairman Miaow, the murder victim - all of it. I prefer longer lengths almost always, but I have to admit, this story was compelling. I now need to search and see if there are any more stories in this world. Recommended, with the warning that you will be left wanting more.
Melissima
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Truly excellent genrebending Sci Fi mystery

Fans of JD Robb's Eve Dallas and anyone who loves a twisty police procedural will enjoy this murder mystery set on a future earth. Bear always brings fascinating characters to life, and her settings burst with wonders to rival and surpass the best of star wars.
Judy
This is a good murder mystery that takes place in a near future-world, in an Indian metropolis filled with cool energy-collecting-and-storing mechanisms, mind-tweaking humans, genetically engineered pets, and of course, overbearing and annoying family members. The book is one of those inexpensive "Part I" Kindle singles, so I expect there are more or will be more in this series.
Jamie Rich
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
by Elizabeth Bear

My only complaint is that this short story should be an entire novel! I hope the followup books are!
Kurt
Jul 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Strange, unexpected similarities with a novella I read earlier this year (A Dead Djinn in Cairo), but synchronicities aside, they have different emphases. No idea if there will be more in this series, but I'd be interested in seeing a deeper dive into the world.
Marie
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really intriguing

I enjoyed this a lot; the relationships, the different storylines, the science fiction. Really awesome work. There were some words/concepts i didn't really get, but that was okay.
jedbird
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
My first by this author. An enjoyable murder mystery set in an interesting world, a futuristic India. I'd like to read more about these characters, and I'll likely read more of Ms. Bear's work in the future.
Laure Reminick
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved the details on a near future

A view of the future, maybe 60 years from now. Babies now as old ladies by then. And the Indian view, with astronomy. Will read this story more than once
Eric Means
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
A really interesting book -- murder mystery meets Stephen Baxter. Short but good.
Pavel Lishin
Aug 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I love this tour of the future; we get good glimpses of an interesting and plausible world. I want to read more about it.

The story itself is just a quick detective yarn.
Liz
Bear is never not good and her future is clever and compelling and fun to inhabit and, of course, I appreciate a good murder mystery.
This was just a really fun short read.
Tom Hailand
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I want a parrot cat

Thanks Elizabeth. Great story and I hope you're writing another chapter / episode as I write this. Ferron needs to continue
Maya Morikawa
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
good but

Can't believe that it just suddenly ended?Is there a follow up or we just accept the criminal was apprehended?
Was enjoying it up till then.
Charles
A fun read, even if you nothing about Indian culture, past and future, with a protagonist who is easy to like.
Jamie Bradway
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love the world building and characters, but the mystery bit it lacking. Still, I'd read more.
Jul 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
3.5 Stars
Marrije
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lovely SF-India police procedural novelette. Extra points for talking cat.
Jen
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2019
Really interesting characters and world but it was too short. There wasn’t enough time to get pulled into the story.
Ron Henry
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Entertaining and engaging. Solution to the mystery felt like a little bit of a let-down to me. (Perhaps just me.) Still, recommended for great prose, interesting characters, and well-developed setting.

• The Year's Best Science Fiction: Thirty-Second Annual Collection
  • Half the Day is Night
  • Twelve Tomorrows 2014
  • The Women Men Don't See
  • The Fate of Mice
  • Codename: Chandler Collection - Three Short Prequel Novels
  • Trickster (The Silent Empire, #3)
  • A Sterkarm Kiss (Sterkarm, #2)
  • Edge of Infinity
  • Helsinki Dead (Inspector Kari Vaara, #5)
  • Off the Record
  • Daughters of a Coral Dawn
  • Going Grey
  • Fast Times at Fairmont High
  • The Two of Them
  • Otherspace (Truesight, #3)
  • Catwoman, Vol. 6: Keeper of the Castle
  • Rings of Anubis (A Folley & Mallory Adventure, #1)
What Goodreads really needs is a "currently WRITING" option for its default bookshelves...