Start by marking “Running Down a Dream: Your Road Map to Winning Creative Battles” as Want to Read:
Running Down a Dream: Your Road Map to Winning Creative Battles

Running Down a Dream: Your Road Map to Winning Creative Battles

A Deeply Personal Field Guide to Defeating Your Own Worst Enemy.

When you dream, you envision a magical future. You have heroically slayed the dragons and unlocked the creativity and genius buried deep inside.

But how do you actually get there?

You can analyze the myths of visionary creators–artists, writers, musicians, software developers, etc that have accomplished the i
Published July 11th 2018 by Black Irish Entertainment LLC

To ask other readers questions about Running Down a Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Running Down a Dream

Marty Twelves
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful read! I've been following Tim Grahl on the Story Grid Podcast for years. This is a raw and real memoir for any aspiring creative.
Harley Christensen
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An Authentic, Open & Raw Account of Grahl's Creative Journey, Brilliantly Painted in Words

The road to every creative's journey will differ and unless you are one of the outliers, chances are there will be wrong turns, speed bumps and a few potholes along that path.

Tim Grahl bravely and honestly takes us along on his journey and shares his struggles and triumphs (even when some of them are temporary or short-lived).

Running Down A Dream is an authentic, open and raw account of his journey, b
Annie Oortman
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that anyone with a dream MUST read. Written in a casual manner, Grahl ensures you feel all the emotions he felt as he navigated the ups and downs of writing a book and starting a creative movement.

FYI: This not a business book. This is an emotions book. If you've ever felt you didn't have what it takes to achieve you dream or have tried and failed or have everyone in your world telling you not to take a leap of faith, this is the book you MUST read.

Grahl takes you step by step th
Lisa Hodorovych
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is so raw. As I read it I thought I was reading my life story; it was truly scary to see how similar our paths were. However, the advice he gives throughout the book gives you a nice kick in the butt to keep on "running down your dream." I love that he references Steven Pressfield's book "The War of Art" (which I read the previous year) throughout to talk about "Resistance." Between this book and Pressfield's book, it's very apparent that Resistance is a legitimate character in everyon ...more
Basmah AlMashari
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Feels like having a long casual conversation with someone with the same page as me.
Such a quick and inspiring read that reminds me that in life there’s no finish line on running down a dream
Christina
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
I got halfway through this and stalled out. It was difficult to read about Tim and how he’d finally get his act together and then still be miserable. For a visual artist this book did not contain a ton of useful, applicable information. Plus, Tim seemed to be a mess most of the time (albeit honest) and that didn’t provide a huge incentive to take advice from him. There were nuggets of interesting and insightful advice, but the same sort of useful stuff could be found in other books (like Steven ...more
John
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of non-fiction book I like reading. First, it's an interesting read by a knowledgeable person. The chapters are short and clear. Finally, the author recaps all the lessons at the end to reinforce what you just learned. Tim was very honest and open above his struggles and shows you step by step how he got out of them. I recommend this book.
A.M.
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, e-books, i-own
Fortune, fame or freedom are the only things that will drive you. Pick one. Tim chose freedom but he struggled with fear.
I TOLD FEAR TO STICK TO THE BACKSEAT, BUT AS SOON AS I PULLED ONTO THE HIGHWAY IT LUNGED FOR THE WHEEL.
* * *
Fear, one of Resistance’s most effective emissaries, had me in its clutches. It had broken me down and forced me to waste weeks of writing time. I’m obviously no Elizabeth Gilbert. (Kindle Locations 697-703).

Gah. Me too.
I realized that every successful person has a trail
Amphibian Press
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don’t like giving out five-star ratings if you get one, you’ve earned it. But there was no less than two moments pre-chapter that I felt like Tim was talking about me. But he didn’t just leave me wondering why I can’t make shit work while he did, he gave me the actual steps to dig myself out of the hole (or start chipping away at the plaster).

Seeing someone I like, admire, and look up to going through the same things I am was more than inspiring. Before I started reading this book I was runnin
Irene Allison
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
When the author offered a reading copy of this new book, I jumped on the opportunity. Here's what I thought:

If you are struggling along the twisted pathways of creativity and entrepreneurship, getting lost, persevering in the hope of manifesting your dreams, and despite everything, still finding that well ... you're just not making any progress, this little book will give you lots of ideas and an extra big dose of unvarnished truth.

The author shares his own experiences of "one-step-forward, tw
Cathy
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Running Down a Dream is written for people chasing a creative goal, but I think the principles and the personal story would appeal to people with a broader range of ambitions at different places in their careers and life. The book goes through the author's struggles in following his dream, it doesn't gloss over the difficult times and focus only on the positives. It's nice to read something real but ultimately positive as he did overcome these struggles in the end.

'That terror never goes away b
Danielle Gibbons
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been a student of Tim’s for a few years now. The first time I heard him say his mission is to be relentlessly helpful, I was hooked. His course, Launch a Best Seller, helped me launch my book and sell over 3 thousand copies so far. Not bad for a first time self published author. Tim’s new book is exactly what I needed to read at this point in my life and career. It’s honest, thoughtful, and well written. But the best thing about this book is it’s REAL!!! I found myself nodding along seeing ...more
Jeff Elkins
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this work, Grahl describes his journey of self-discovery. Along the way, he discovers productivity, his voice as a writer, and a deeper understanding of self. While I struggled to relate to Grahl's experience with procrastination, fear, and self-loathing, and I didn't love the philosophical conclusion he found (a celebration and new focus on his inner self), the tools he presents for creatives throughout the work are fantastic. This is a book creatives should read and wrestle with. It's wonde ...more
Ronel Janse van Vuuren
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a very emotionally raw look at the author’s life as he figured out what it meant to be truly successful – and mentally healthy.

There are nuggets of truth (everyone lies) and wisdom (take the direct route) that really helps – in the sense that this is a self-help book.

A couple of typos and missing words irked me, but that happens. The cover makes sense in terms of it’s all a marathon – a theme in this book.

The author talks a lot about how fear (and its master Resistance) is the enemy that
Valerie Ihsan
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Every morning, as part of my start-the-day routine, I read in a business or inspirational book during breakfast. Late last week, I started this one, which had both in it--inspiration and business tips. I had heard Tim speak on The Creative Penn podcast last Monday and purchased this book after listening to the interview. This morning, I finished it. The whole book. I didn't do what I'd set out to do; I read instead. I really needed to hear what Tim said and I couldn't put it down. I knew it was ...more
Dan
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I followed the podcast where the Author discussed the writing process for the book, and was looking forward to reading the final version.
I appreciate his honesty very much, it’s so refreshing to read the whole unedited journey of the creation of an art piece, being it a painting, song or book. The struggle is real, lying about it doesn’t takes us anywhere new.
On a side note, It was also my first audiobook. Listening to the authors voice reading his own book added a lot to the experience. Recom
Alexander Fitzgerald
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very enjoyable book.

It's more of a memoir, but any neurotic creator could get a great deal out of Tim Grahl's words.

When he describes the challenges his clients and others have faced, you'll understand there is nothing wrong with you.

When he discusses some of the philosophical realizations he made, they'll punch you in the face.

Highly recommended for anyone who creates anything for a living.
Julie Duffy
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A quick and inspiring read. A highly personal story of the other side of seeming-success, and a road to a deeper kind of success. The point-by-point summary at the end is particularly useful, after you’ve read the book and want to remember what you learned.
There’s nothing earth-shatteringly new in here, but it’s a good tool in the Steven Pressfield model, to remind yourself to keep on keeping on.
Stephen Ray
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a really honest look at the struggles of someone who has achieved success. So many times, when he was recounting mental struggles or dealing with failure, I thought "That's me!"

Maybe if he can do it, I can. The end of the book lists tools he's used. I'm looking forward to applying them in my own life.
Emily Mills
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An honest, approachable read. This is a book I can't wait to share with fellow entrepreneurs who are stuck in plaster and don't know there's gold inside. This book is full of practical tips, vulnerable and relatable stories, and motivation. Thank you for your work on bringing this book to life, Tim!
Ranch_Church
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Must read super encouraging book

Tim wrote an easy to read pager turning book full of legitimate insight. I teach, develop and train leaders, and wish I had this tool in my hands a decade ago, it would have saved me and countless others a lot of pain.

And don’t skip the executive summary at the end, that alone is worth the cover price.
David Hooper
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you're a fan of Steven Pressfield's work, you'll love this book. It's an honest look at what self-employment is really like and had great advice and inspiration for those of us who work for ourselves. I've known of Tim's book marketing work for years and have his last book for authors, You're First 1000 Copies. That's a good book and worth getting if you're an author, but this is a great book!
Will Howell
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I couldn't finish

I feel bad writing this because I'm pretty fair. This book is laid out in bite size chunks this great. However three is much to be desired when it comes to some of the language. Love the rawness but I hate that it is laced with non productive profanity. I had my heart on learning on how to chase a dream. Instead I was distracted
Kent White
So much of my own story is in these pages. I am not as far along the path as Tim, but I aspire to getting past my own Resistance through many of the techniques he shared. Great book to re-read and more useful to me than most of Steven Pressfield's works even though he is also inspiring. I am especially grateful for the PDF that came with the audiobook, detailing out the practices he recommends.
Justin Banger
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: living, productivity
Pretty easy read packed full of practical exercises for "cracking the plaster [layer] on top of the self I need to put forth into the world." Recomended for creative people (i.e. everyone) trying to find the time and space to do and be that which is uniquely theirs.
Sandy
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read it on a flight from Nashville to Dallas, pretty quick read. This is the most authentic, rawest book I’ve ever read. Pretty sure Tim Grahl is my spirit animal. Read this. It will change the way you think.
Robert
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tim Grahl takes what Steven Pressfield discusses in The Art of War and shows how are it is to beat Resistance. This is an incredibly personal and honest look at how Tim came to beat Resistance, or to at least keep him at bay.
Niels Philbert
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's a great book. Four stars for the language and themes - and an extra star for the honesty from Tim. If you are trying, to put anything out into the world, this is a book for you.
Kat
Feb 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
Poorly written and slightly misogynistic.
Jonathan Ball
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely brilliant. It's a self-help book with cliffhangers! Amazingly well-constructed.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Artist's Journey: The Wake of the Hero's Journey and the Lifelong Pursuit of Meaning
  • Standing at the Edge: Finding Freedom Where Fear and Courage Meet
  • Unmistakable: Why Only Is Better Than Best
  • Self-Healing with Reiki: How to Create Wholeness, Harmony & Balance for Body, Mind & Spirit
  • Let's Get Real or Let's Not Play: The Demise of 20th Century Selling & the Advent of Helping Clients Succeed
  • How To Market A Book
  • Strangers To Superfans: A Marketing Guide to the Reader Journey
  • Emotional Success: The Power of Gratitude, Compassion, and Pride
  • The Habit Blueprint: 15 Simple Steps to Transform Your Life
  • How to Be a Power Connector: The 5+50+100 Rule for Turning Your Business Network Into Profits
  • The Art of Storytelling: From Parents to Professionals
  • Big Potential: How Transforming the Pursuit of Success Raises Our Achievement, Happiness, and Well-Being
  • Get Back in the Box: Innovation from the Inside Out
  • Good in a Room: How to Sell Yourself (and Your Ideas) and Win Over Any Audience
  • Rock Your Revisions: A Simple System for Revising Your Novel
  • The Pledge: Your Master Plan for an Abundant Life
  • You Can't Teach a Kid to Ride a Bike at a Seminar : The Sandler Sales Institute's 7-Step System for Successful Selling
  • Power Moves: Lessons from Davos
“Over the months that followed this week, I came to realize two things. The first is that I wasn’t taking a radical or ruthless enough approach to change. I was constantly making bargains and pacts and capitulations. I would compromise and cajole. Resistance thrives in that gray zone of valueless nonjudgment. It loves instant gratification and rationalizing that I could to it tomorrow.” 0 likes
“I learned pretty quickly that most criticism is useless and is much more about the person doing the criticizing than it is about the work or me.” 0 likes