Start by marking “Grand Slam Murders” as Want to Read:
Grand Slam Murders

Grand Slam Murders

(A Bridge to Death Mystery #1)

After four bridge players are poisoned, newspaper reporter Wendy Winchester sets out to catch a killer who's not playing with a full deck . . .

Published January 29th 2019 by Kensington Publishing Corporation

To ask other readers questions about Grand Slam Murders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grand Slam Murders

Carrie
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Grand Slam Murders by R.J. Lee is the first book in the new cozy A Bridge to Death Mystery series. As with most cozy mystery series the murder mystery in this first book is solved at the end without any cliffhangers.

This story really tosses a reader right into the action with the opening chapter joining the four wealthy ladies that are members of the Rosalie Bridge Club as they are about to play a game. However, instead of some competitive cards we end up with a four way murder when all are pois
Shelly
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Wendy is a journalism graduate working as a society editor for a small town Mississippi newspaper who hopes to break into a more promising and interesting career as an investigative reporter. Opportunity knocks to do some serious sleuthing when a shocking quadruple homicide involving the exclusive Rosalie Bridge Club occurs. With the help of her special friend and detective Ross and her police chief dad, Wendy uncovers that the members of the Rosalie Bridge Club were holding many of their cards ...more
Patricia
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading GRAND SLAM MURDERS, the first novel in a new series. When 4 of the wealthiest women in town are found dead as the result of poison while at their bridge club, a social columnist wants to play detective. Wendy, the society columnist, is fortunate to have the police chief as her father and is dating the lead detective on the case. And so it begins...
Cheryl
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting plot turn, 4 elderly rich woman play bridge together, after one get together all 4 are found dead of poison. Wendy wants to be a journalist and is stuck writing fluff articles for a newspaper and is sure if she solves the case and writes about it , it will be her big break. She sets out to interview all the families and finds out many secrets. 77
Patty
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Grand Slam Murders by R. J. Lee is the 1st book in A Bridge to Death Mystery series, and my first book by this author. Wendy Winchester is a reporter stuck with society section of the newspaper, when she wants to write about crime. When four very rich women die suddenly while playing bridge, and it turns out to be murder, Wendy is determined to find the truth. I enjoyed this book, but I found it slow at times. I plan on reading this author again and looking forward to the next book in the series ...more
Debbie
read and reviewed this for Mystery Scene Magazine read this in the first copy of 2019 of Mystery Scene Magazine
Lesa
Let me emphasize you do not need to know anything about bridge to read R.J. Lee's debut cozy mystery, Grand Slam Murders. I've never played bridge, and I know nothing about it, but the entertaining Southern characters will bring me back for the next challenge.

Wendy Winchester has a journalism degree, and she's chafing at her role as society reporter for her hometown newspaper. However, the elderly newspaper editor believes Wendy does a fine job covering engagements, weddings, and the social even
Snow Mille
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
A new series with an interesting twist on the amateur detective.

The Gin Girls are all set for another day of drinking gin and playing bridge, until someone spikes the coffee, killing them. Enter Wendy Winchester, new junior member of the club and society writer of the local paper. Wendy knew the ladies, and she’s looking for a way to escape the society page and use her journalism degree. To her advantage, her father is the chief of police, and she’s dating the lead investigator.

I enjoyed this bo
Ann Bergeron
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I never saw the end coming!

I love mysteries, but they generally become too predictable. When you can figure out the culprit, it can take the fun out of the reading experience.

When I received a copy of Grand Slam Murders I was instantly interested in reading the book because the fictional town of Rosalie (the setting for the book) is my hometown of Natchez, MS.

Within the first 20-25 pages I was completely hooked! The author has truly captured Natchez with all of her quirks and has created a book
Rekha Rao
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the concept of four wealthy widows murdered while playing a game. Who on earth might the perp be? Marleece seemed innocent, and so did Arden, the gardener. Wendy trusts Marleece but something feels off. Then comes the family of the deceased. Liddie Rose and her daughter seemed very close to each other while Hanna Lewis and her two sons were estranged. Sicily Groves had no children while Bethany Morrissey's daughter was somewhat shaky.

As the story proceeds, Wendy discovers some dark secre
Sandra
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Grand Slam Murders by R. J. Lee is the first book in A Bridge to Death Mystery series.

Four wealthy widows, prominent figures in small town in state of Mississippi, choke to death during their regular bridge get together. To say that town is abuzz would be an understatement.
Therefore, local journalist Wendy and fellow bridge player gets her chance to make it big and move from writing about local wedding to some real investigative journalism. Her father as a police chief and her boyfriend a leadin
T Olsen
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A murder mystery with four victims makes for a lot of different motives, and a journalist is just right for solving everything. Great characters and plot, well written story with a nice flow.
Barbara Tobey
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clever cozy mystery. I am familiar with Bridge, but not especially a fan of the game. The four fatalities and the finger pointing at the suspects are intriguing. The solution is a face palm. Enjoyable reading to get there. Thanks to the publisher for providing a copy via NetGalley.
Mary Brown
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis:

When the four wealthy widows who make up the venerable Rosalie Bridge Club never get up from their card table, this quiet Mississippi town has its first quadruple homicide. Who put cyanide in their sugar bowl? An aspiring member and kibitzer with the exclusive club, Wendy takes a personal interest in finding justice for the ladies.

She also has a
Susan
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though I don't know much about Bridge, I enjoyed this debut cozy. Having so many murdered so fast was a surprise. Sometimes the reader has to wait almost forever before the body (or bodies) appear. Instead we have to wait awhile before we meet the main character, Wendy Winchester along with her father, the police chief and her detective boyfriend. She very much wants to report on more meaty news than what is needed in the society section. This is the investigation that will possibly make th ...more
Sandra
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It says a lot about a writer when you realize who murdered four women and you keep reading the mystery. From the first I was convinced I knew what happened, but the small town characters kept me intrigued. I loved the main character, enjoyed her relationship with her police chief father, and appreciated her ambiguity about her boyfriend. It was easy for me to relate to her frustration with her job on the town paper as well as to her waffling boss. This book is an easy, fun read.
Pamela N.
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this light reading. R.J.Lee seems to write in a style that is reminiscent of Agatha Christie, but more coherent and relevant. (Perhaps this is because there is a 75 or so year difference.) I enjoyed that there was a lot of research into the underlying premises, which makes a much more enjoyable read for me. Having played bridge, I could relate. I liked the characters, and the story line. I had a lot of fun, and finished the book without feeling something was missing.
Amy
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice cosy little mystery. The ending was unexpected and intriguing and the characters were fun. Made for a fun weekend read on a snowy day. Definitely the kind of light mystery I enjoy.
I received this book as part of a Goodreads giveaway but the opinions expressed are solely my own.
Kathleen Gray
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surely Liddy's maid Merleece didn't intentionally serve poisoned coffee to the ladies of the Rosalie Bridge Club, killing four of them. That's what Wendy, a frustrated journalist sets out to prove, even as her sweetie Ross, a detective, and her dad, the chief of police, need to find who did it- and fast. This is classic cozy material. It's set in small town Mississippi, there's an intrepid amateur, and there's lots of secrets among the victims. My quibble is that killing off four women at once w ...more
Amber
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I recieved an advanced copy of this book and I loved it. It kept me thinking the whole time
SHERRY
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it
A fun read.
Annarella
Jan 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I think this series has a lot of potential and this book has lot of the problems that you can meet in the first installment of a series.
There're a lot of good ideas but somehow it fails to deliver.
I'm curious about the next installment in this series.
Many thanks to Kensington Books and Netgalley for this ARC
Rita Kramer
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grand Slam Murders is a great read!! With each turning of the page you are closer to the end but you are so wrapped up itn it that you don't want it to end. You keep asking yourself who did it and why, the ending is such a suprise.
Wuroodalhatab
Pamela N.
Jan 23, 2019
Sharon
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The premise of this was very good and I really wanted to like it. I loved the Gin Girls Club and its larger than life members. I enjoyed their background stories and cared enough about them to stick with it until the end. Unfortunately, that was the only thing I liked about this. I couldn't connect with Wendy, the journalist who was trying to move from society columnist to investigative reporter. And her relationship with Ross, the detective, was a little too bare bones. The ending left me with ...more
Steven Webb
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Captivating! A-can't-put-it-down kind of novel always lures you back for more! I am honored to have this book as part of my personal library. R.J. Lee's ability to capture a reader's attention will make Agatha Christie envious. I strongly recommend this novel.
Nate
Marissa
Dec 27, 2018
Laura Reading
Dec 28, 2018
  • Pruning the Dead (A Garden Squad Mystery #1)
  • Death by Committee (Abbey McCree Mystery #1)
  • The Puppy Who Knew Too Much (Dog Club Mystery #2)
  • Deadly Blood, A Stan Turner Mystery
  • A Dog Called Jack
  • Crewel and Unusual (A Haunted Yarn Shop Mystery)
  • Homeward Hound ("Sister" Jane, #11)
  • The Window Trail (A Big Bend Country Mystery #1)
  • Running from Arrows (A Running Store Mystery #2)
  • Chocolate Cream Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen #24)
  • Lethally Green (Maggie Flanagan Mystery #1)
  • You Will Suffer (The Agency #3)
  • Pinot Red or Dead? (The Wine Trail Mysteries #3)
  • Gown with the Wind (Wedding Planner Mystery, #4)
  • Illegal
  • Deadly Vows (A Britton Bay Mystery #2)
  • Murder in an Irish Churchyard (Irish Village Mystery #3)
  • We Shall See the Sky Sparkling
R.J. Lee follows in the mystery-writing footsteps of his father, R. Keene Lee, who wrote fighter pilot and detective stories for Fiction House, publishers of WINGS Magazine and other 'pulp fiction' periodicals in the late '40's and '50's. Lee was born and grew up in the Mississippi River port of Natchez but also spent thirty years living in the Crescent City of New Orleans. A graduate of the Unive ...more