Start by marking “Superman: Dawnbreaker (DC Icons, #4)” as Want to Read:
Superman: Dawnbreaker (DC Icons, #4)

Superman: Dawnbreaker

(DC Icons #4)

The blockbuster DC Icons series that began with Leigh Bardugo's Wonder Woman, Marie Lu's Batman, and Sarah J. Maas's Catwoman continues with the story of the world's first super hero--SUPERMAN--from award-winning and #1 New York Times bestselling author MATT DE LA PENA.

When the dawn breaks, a hero rises.

His power is beyond imagining.
Clark Kent has always been faster, str
Published March 5th 2019 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Superman, please sign up.
Isabelle In addition to actual ratings based on ARCs (Advance Reader/Review Copies), which usually come with reviews explaining the rating and helping hype up…moreIn addition to actual ratings based on ARCs (Advance Reader/Review Copies), which usually come with reviews explaining the rating and helping hype up the book leading up to its release, some people will give a rating before they even read the book, based on their opinion of the author/the subject/their mood.(less)

Emily May
I read this book after enjoying to varying degrees the other three DC Icons novels: Wonder Woman: Warbringer, Batman: Nightwalker and Catwoman: Soulstealer. I was really hoping that the author could make me love Clark Kent. A major problem for me with Superman is that he is so irredeemably boring. Growing up, I saw Spiderman as the lovable nerd, Batman as the brooding bad boy, Wonder Woman was the queer feminist, and Catwoman was a sexy rebel. Superman, though, was the douchey jock. In Dawnbreak ...more
emi
1.2.18 Update.

So Batman came out today, which is exciting and all, but this book is still a year away from its release date.

This is a crime and I will be suing.

Prereview:

So I'm not a Superman fan. He's too perfect with his sleek hair and too good of eye sight. Flying around, saving people without even asking if they want to be saved. Who does he think he is?

No, Clark Kent is where it's at. Not only is Clark kind and nerdy, but he also has a steady career, which is incredibly sexy. Whereas,
Hamad
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, 2019-reads
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

Wonder Woman: ★★★★
Batman: ★★
Catwoman: ★★★
Superman: ★★★

🌟 Throw back to 2 or 3 years ago when this whole series was announced and we were all excited. 4 Superhero books by 4 famous authors! Looking back, we hyped it more than it deserved and over all I was disappointed by this series.

🌟 TO be honest I didn’t know the author before this series and apparently he’s controversial and there is tea to spill when it comes to him
Adam Silvera
HERE FOR THIS, DE LA PENA!

Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
I SERIOUSLY DON'T KNOW WHAT TO MAKE OF ALL THESE SUPERHERO STANDALONES HEADED OUR WAY BUT HELL YEAH COME AT ME BRO

Khurram
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have given this book 3.5 but I think it deserved a round up rather then a down.

This is a Smallville style Superman novel. The writing is a bit slow, but the story is well written.

For people who are fans of the Smallville series this would be a great book. I am not such a huge fan. I did like Clark getting used to his powers. Gaining life experience. I do think the community Vs racism angle was quite well done.

The unlike the other books in the DC icons series this book stays pretty close
Katelyn C
May 22, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
What makes me saltiest of all is the fact this book has a 3.8 rating and it's not even released yet. 👏 Don't 👏 Judge 👏 The 👏 Book 👏 If 👏 Ya 👏 Haven't 👏 Read 👏 It 👏 Yet 👏
Farhina ↯↯ The Wanderer Of Inked Adventures
Oh i did not realize this had a cover reveal! Out of all the dc icons i am most excited about this one because omg teenage clark keeeeeeeeent!!
Chad
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I thought this was the most well-written of the DC Icons series. It keeps the main gist of the Superman mythos intact. Nor is Clark written as a lovesick dummy, like Bruce Wayne in Batman: Nightwalker. I liked the parallels brought in by dealing with the immigration issue when technically Superman is also an illegal alien. Clark's supporting cast, Lana, Gloria, Bryan, Jonathan all serve a purpose. I was also happy to see Clark and Lana's relationship was platonic. Clark's struggling to figure ou ...more
Ashwood (애쉬 우드).
Okay, soo as I predicted.. I seriously loved this book! Even though it was more of a coming of age story for Clark than a badaztec superhero’s story where he has it all figured out, it was still an awesome and entertaining read. Reading about him transitioning and getting the hang of his powers was one of the great things about this book. His friendships, and the events that were all shaping him to become Man of Steel was what made this a pretty great read. This is definitely of my favorites out ...more
Elena
May 23, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
5/23/16

Okay Matt, please let me grow a bigger love for Superman. Not Henry Cavill, but Superman. Please.

Sherna
why is this book still being published? why is matt de la pena still being given a platform? we have cancelled jay asher and james dashner and other authors accused of sexual harassment. why not matt de la pena?
don't read this book. don't support this author.
Alexandra ☆Reading By Starlight☆
A YA novel centered around SUPERMAN????

description

Um, F**K YES! FINALLY! I LOVE ME SOME CLARK KENT/SUPERMAN- #SWOON (am I right ladies)
Will 2018 hurry up already? Just take my money already :(

maegan ✷
so.

are we casually going to let this book be written by an author who has been accused of sexual harassing others??? this book is still set to be released next year, so please do something about this @ publishing team. change the author, please.
Adah Udechukwu
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Superman: Dawnbreaker was a bit underwhelming. It was a fast read and it was quite short. I expected the novel to be longer and have more action scenes like other DC Icons novels.
Suzanne
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.0-3.5*.

I was torn between three stars to three and a half stars on this one. I enjoyed it for the most part but it was an underwhelming account for the man of steel. I really enjoyed all the DC Icon books (Wonder Woman, Catwoman, and Batman) Buy really had high expectations for this one since it covered Superman. It was still good, don’t get me wrong, but like others I had high expectations.

My quick and simple overall: probably my expectations that effected my experience more so still giving
Mar 31, 2016 marked it as wishlist  ·  review of another edition
4 popular YA writers each writing a Superhero novel??? HELL YES, TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!!!

Publishing in 2017:
Wonder Woman by Leigh Bardugo
Batman by Marie Lu
Superman by Matt de la Pena
Catwoman by Sarah J Maas
Rissa
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Superman 3.75⭐
Clark Kent is just trying to be a normal teenage boy at Smallville high school but his abilities are getting him into trouble.
I enjoyed the writing and the characters it wasnt great but it was really good.

Series ranking:
1. Catwoman
2. Superman
3. Batman
4. Wonder Woman
Nicole
Feb 13, 2018 marked it as not-for-me  ·  review of another edition
Will not read any of his books due to the accusations of sexual harassment and I believe the victims.
Yusra  ✨
Aug 16, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
mm i actually have a hate/love relationship with this cover
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
It pains me to give this 2 - 2.5 stars but it was not what I was expecting or hoping for. Forgive me now for saying the cover seemed to be the most enjoyable thing about this book.

Womp womp

I'll type my review soon and post.

---------

Full review can be found here: https://agingerlyreview.wordpress.com...

I consider myself a huge superhero nerd and while I prefer Marvel over DC, I give everyone a chance. I have enjoyed reading the DC Icons series and was ecstatic to read the last book in the series
Trisha  (The Tea Reader)
Can someone tell me why the rest of the series is written by popular and well established YA authors, and here is the final book and I have never heard of this writer?
Drewthereader19
This was such a nice ending to this series. I wish there was a sequel to this novel though. U can't leave me like that! Loved the ending, I was kind of expecting him to say what he said but u know I love a cheesy ending. Lol!(:
Luc The Reader
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star, year-19, review
Superman Dawnbreaker is the fourth and final DC Icons book. Ever since the Icons series was announced I wanted to collect them. Being a fan of all the superhero movies that are coming out with a rapid speed I was curious if DC could pull me in. Mixing YA authors with teenage superheroes did seem a good idea.

The story is about superman (duh). Clark Kent is a sixteen-year-old living in smallville, a small community somewhere in Kansas. Lately people have been disappearing. Not just everybody but
Kara
Mar 14, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry, cousin, but even as a YA book this is really booorrring!

Instead of Superman, we have Selfdoubtboy.

I gave it an hour that I wish I could have back. DNF at 13%
Yursa Tahir
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I am a huge DC fan and its amazing to read something about our fav characters that is other than a comic book. I loved all 4 of these books and i want more like their is the flash, green arrow, martian manhunter and many more and i think they all deserve a book of their own. Who's with me??
Sol ~ TheBookishKing
I really don't like Superman ...

but this cover THOUGH.

Looks crazy intense and I'm kind of hyped for this book.
Jenn
I'll be honest, Superman has never been one of my favorite superheroes. And also, I feel like his origin story has been told multiple times already that what else can be brought out? To me, this book seemed like Smallville but in current times. But still, I wanted to give it chance since I've never read the author and was curious. I can say it wasn't my least favorite of the DC Icons series, but it wasn't my favorite either. It just kinda cruises in the middle.

What I thought was unique about th
andrea caro
3.5/4 stars? Idk how to feel about this book. A large chunk of it was about racism/immigration, but I feel like the author didn’t really explore it well. Idk, RTC. I’m just glad I finished this series.
Camile Souza (This Chamber of Books)
ohmygod how come this book has a cover and I didn't know about it??

Not sure how I feel about it. I think it has a certain photoshop weirdness like the Catwoman cover.

Maybe it'll grow on me, idk.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add book cover 2 16 Apr 10, 2019 11:20AM

• Untitled
  • Untitled (Stolen Crowns, #1)
  • The Midnight Lie
  • The Half King (Untitled, #1)
  • Nameless Queen
  • Untitled (Alex Stern, #2)
  • Sword and Pen (The Great Library, #5)
  • Catwoman: Soulstealer (DC Icons, #3)
  • Scorch Dragons (Elementals, #2)
  • Skyhunter
  • Ember Days
  • Untitled (The Witchlands, #4)
  • Jack of Hearts
  • Untitled
  • Untitled Catalina Book (Hidden Legacy #6)
Matt de la Peña is the New York Times best-selling, Newbery-medal-winning author of six young adult novels and four picture books. Matt received his MFA in creative writing from San Diego State University and his BA from the University of the Pacific, where he attended school on a full athletic scholarship for basketball. de la Peña currently lives in Brooklyn, NY. He teaches creative writing and ...more

DC Icons (4 books)
  • Wonder Woman: Warbringer (DC Icons, #1)
  • Batman: Nightwalker (DC Icons, #2)
  • Catwoman: Soulstealer (DC Icons, #3)