Start by marking “Changeling (The Oddmire #1)” as Want to Read:
Changeling (The Oddmire #1)

Changeling

(The Oddmire #1)

Magic is fading from the Wild Wood. To renew it, goblins must perform an ancient ritual involving the rarest of their kind—a newborn changeling. But when the fateful night arrives to trade a human baby for a goblin one, something goes terribly wrong. After laying the changeling in a human infant’s crib, the goblin Kull is briefly distracted from his task. By the time he tu ...more
Expected publication: July 16th 2019 by Algonquin Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Changeling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Changeling

C.G. Drews
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have such a weakness for faerie books and dark forests and just look at this. It's here to give us both. And it's written FOR THE CHILDREN. I absolutely cannot wait till my nephew is old enough for this one because it was so good! It managed to curl a sinister darkness into the most heartfelt and wholesome story of unconditional family love.

I didn't think it was *too* dark, but definitely had enough of a creepy vibe to snag those younger readers' attentions who say they loooove to be scared.
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
“That morning she had wanted nothing more than a cup of tea, and now there were real goblins and sinister swamps and strange women who turned into bears – and her boys were gone.”

Changelings, goblins, creatures, fae? That pretty much checks off everything that will sell a book instantly to me, so I was thrilled to get my hands on a copy of this ARC.

I was interested pretty early on in The Changeling because it was by Young Adult author William Ritter. You may recognize the name, he wrote the
rachel
i would sell what remains of my soul for this
Mandy
Nov 15, 2018 marked it as to-read
William Ritter doing more magical characters??? In middle grade??? Hello, 2019, you have been made. Now if only Jackaby and a Yeti hat would pop in and life would forever be complete.
Toya
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss, netgalley
There’s something about Changelings that always piques my interest. The idea of goblins swapping human infants for these creepy little terrors than can wreak havoc upon the parents, and sometimes leave them for dead, is utterly chilling.

When I first read the synopsis of Changeling: The Oddmire #1, I was immediately drawn to the idea of changelings in a middle grade setting (I just want to clarify, don’t understand middle grade horror because it is still equaling as chilling). However, this is no
Evangeline
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
On a scale from one to pomegranate? This book is definitely pomegranate.
The Jackaby series holds such a special place in my heart that when I heard Ritter was writing a new series set in the same world, I was ecstatic.
I really need to reread The Map now so I can catch all the references to the goblins, but the little things connecting it to the world of Jackaby were one of my favorite parts of the book.

That being said though, this book stands on its own. Ritter paints a vividly magical pictur
Julia
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Wonderful start to a new fantasy series.

The characters are well-developed, and hence quirky and easy to like and root for them - or dislike them.

I liked the writing style. Loved the banter between the characters. Strong young characters, both Tinn and Cole are wonderful boys and their inner struggle, who the changeling might be, is described very well. Then there are the strong mothers, Goblin's with foul mouths and a sense of humour, lots of other fairy creatures,...

I truly liked this very m
Amber Brown
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade, arc
First one-day read in a long time.
Who knew how much I needed kickass moms in my books? Because these women are champions. #moremomsinmiddlegrade
Alyson Stone
Jun 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, arc
Book: The Oddmire: Changeling
Author: William Ritter
Rating: 3 Out of 5 Stars

I would like to thank the publisher, Algonquin Young Readers, for providing me with this ARC.

So, William Ritter is a new one for me. This is a middle grade fantasy book. I love how traditional it is in terms of magic: fae, goblins, a mistake, and witches. I also love how most of this takes place in the woods, which always adds an excellent touch to fantasy in my book. I loved the lore and the wonder that William packed
Beth Mendelsohn
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss-arc-s
I received this e-ARC from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Goblins are known for switching out human babies with changelings -- goblin babies who then take on the appearance of the humans they are replacing. The goblins then sell the human babies to the fairies and the magic in the Wood is kept in balance. Changelings are rare and by the type Kull tries to switch babies, the magic in the Wild Wood is almost gone. This is due to the Thing that is devouring ever
Matthew Galloway
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mg, fantasy
First off, I have to say that I love there are Jackaby references! You don't need to read that series and, I think, whether you read that or this one first, once you make the crossover you'll be delighted to spot the ties.

This is a sweet, quirky tale with themes for both children and adults. There's great humor, clever use of folklore, excellent twists. There's a blend of familiar tropes and surprising turns. All in all, a very enjoyable read.

As a side note: there was a climactic scene which, fo
Kelly Erickson
In Changeling, magic is disappearing from the Wood and in order to save it a goblin takes a changeling baby and plans to switch it with a human baby. Unfortunately things don't go as planned and he ends up leaving both babies there to be raised by their human mother.
The main plot takes up when the boys are almost 13, and the goblin invites them into the Wood, which they've grown up hearing scary stories about, as his last chance to try and save it and the rest of the goblins.

This book was real
Rebecca M
I was fortunate to receive an ARC of this title from the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review.

A fast-paced fantasy adventure about a family, a goblin, and a world whose magic is slowly dying...

Identical twins Cole and Tinn do everything together: climb trees, steal their mother's marmalade tarts, and attend their first school dance. But a shared secret has been hanging over them their whole lives: one of them is a flesh and blood boy, and the other is a goblin changling. No one kno
Jen
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I actually finished this a day ago, but had to give myself enough time to write a review.

So I finished this in two sittings, about 2.5 hours. That is mostly due to the fact that it is a middle-grade book, but also it is definitely a "can't put down; want to know what happens next" type of a book.

This was wonderful. I found it thrilling, cute, exciting, and loved all of the characters and the way they were written. This technically hasn't even been published yet and I am so excited for book 2!
Marta Ilieva
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Oddmire, Book 1: Changeling is a must-read. It is filled with magic and adventure and follows twin brothers who set out on an adventure for self-discovery (yes, one of the twins is actually a goblin, but neither truly knows who is the real goblin!). This was a beautiful read and filled with fantasy and folklore. I loved the twin’s relationship with one another, and pretty much every character in the book. I do think this story is best aimed for the younger middle-aged students as it’s a rela ...more
Kylie
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This book was so much fun! It immediately hooked me and would have hooked my elementary/middle school self even more. I loved the whole finding a magic land with magical creatures thing (still do) and this book just had everything.
It was so much fun not knowing which twin was the changeling and I loved their journey through the forest looking for the goblin horde.
Cole and Tinn were the perfect typical troublesome boys with great hearts. Fable was the most adorable girl. Annie was such an amazing
Annie (Putt)
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I received an eARC from Netgalley for an honest review.

The relationship created between Tinn and Cole was phenomenally created--their twinhood was both realistic in the world as well as what I have seen between twin friends. Annie is a boss mom, as is the Queen. They were amazingly well-written, and it's great to see strong mom characters in a middle grade novel.

Fable is a boss. She punched the universe. How much cooler can you get than that?

A must-read for Jackaby fans and William Ritt
Katie Lawrence
I really enjoyed this fantasy tale about brothers, one human, one changeling, who go on an adventure into the wild woods. No one knows which boy is the human and which is the changeling and as the story delicately expresses, it doesn't matter. An immersive tale of family, magic, hope and seeing beyond mistakes/appearances to find the goodness in all. This reminded me of many things I have read before, but I still found it engrossing. I particularly loved the hinkypunks with their candle beards, ...more
Pam
May 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I received an electronic ARC from Algonquin Young Readers through NetGalley.
Ritter spins a tale of fantasy worlds co-existing with earthly life. A changeling exchange goes wrong and the human mother raises both boys. The Goblin who made the errors watches over the boys as well. After many adventures, the two (Tinn and Cole) defeat the major evil and restore the balance to the worlds.
Middle grade readers will enjoy the adventure and hints of danger throughout.
The Epilogue offers hints for the ret
Suzanne
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
After the wonderful introduction to the world of Jackaby (which was perfect for YA and adult readers), now William Ritter has begun a new middle grade series within that world of magic and monsters. After a goblin changeling is placed in a crib next to a human baby, no one can tell the two youngsters apart. For twelve years their mother raises them as human twins, but everyone in their small town knows that one of them is actually not her biological son. The boys are watched and whispered about, ...more
Aeicha
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An ancient ritual goes terribly wrong when a distracted goblin tries to switch out a real human baby for a changeling. The goblin’s mistakes means Tinn and Cole are raised as human twins, beloved by each other and their mother. But the Wild Wood is dying because its magic is fading and the only way to save it is for the changeling to return. So Tinn and Cole, unaware of who is human and who is goblin, set out into the mysterious woods, ready to cross the Oddmire swamp and discover the truth abou ...more
Becky
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was really fun and cute! I continue to admire Ritter's technique as a writer, though some of that was lost by the formatting not being set right in the e-ARC I read, and I will definitely look for the next Oddmire story! I think I was just a little put off by how MUCH younger this one read than Jackaby. I knew it was for a younger audience, but I didn't expect the gap to be quite so large. Still, a delightfully magical story that I know I will find many readers for!
Amanda (MetalPhantasmReads)
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
**I downloaded an arc on Edelweiss for free but will also be on the blog tour for this book in July. All thoughts are my own and the proper review will be out in July**
This was really cute and sweet with great themes of family and identity with a nice, tiny Jackaby reference! My review is coming next month. But this a cute middle grade book and fans of the author need to put this on their radar :)
Suzie Davis
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this to review for Children's Literature and probably would not have selected it for myself, since I do not generally read books that are for upper elementary/middle school on a regular basis, but I really liked it! It's a great fantasy novel for the aforementioned grade/age level with lots of mystery, suspense, and strong female role models in the twins' (main characters) mother and the witch.
Story
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: galleys-arcs
I love how this book makes meaning around family, I loved the adventure of it, and as an adult reader, I loved the implied depth of the adult characters resting just at the periphery, while Tinn and Cole explored Wild Wood in the foreground. So much about belonging and desire and need in one small package of a book! I can't wait to read this aloud to my nephew as he gets older.

Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A charming read with memorable characters, plenty of adventure, and jusy the right amount of scare factor. I'm pretty sure "the Queen of the Deep Dark" is the best witch of the woods name I've heard in ages. Heartfelt and complex family relationships form the satisfying emotional core of the book. Readers will look forward to returning to the Oddmire again for the rest of the series!
Anmiryam
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just what I wanted for a flight home. An adventure tale that is full of dark woods, a devouring nameless evil, mischievous boys (though one is a goblin changeling), a stout-hearted magical girl, and fierce, loving mothers. A propulsive and gentle hearted start to a new middle reader series.
Dottie
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I very much enjoyed this book. I love how it explored how you define yourself and family.
Carina Olsen
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
My review will be posted in July for the blog tour :)
Debbie Tanner
Super fun magical adventure that includes goblins, kinky punks, witches, changelings and a mysterious evil Thing. Lovely themes of family, loyalty, friendship, and magic. Look for this one!

• Find Me Their Bones (Bring Me Their Hearts, #2)
  • The Magnolia Sword: A Ballad of Mulan
  • The Beckoning Shadow (The Beckoning Shadow, #1)
  • The Other Side of the Sky (Untitled, #1)
  • Untitled
  • Spectacle (Spectacle, #1)
  • Immunity (Contagion, #2)
  • Here There Are Monsters
  • The Bone Houses
  • Song of the Abyss (Tower of Winds, #2)
  • Untitled (Gates of Thread and Stone, #3)
  • The Shadow Wand (The Black Witch Chronicles, #3)
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • The Boy and Girl Who Broke the World
  • Sword and Pen (The Great Library, #5)
  • Untitled Standalone
  • The Iron Will of Genie Lo (The Epic Crush of Genie Lo #2)
  • Last Bus to Everland
WILLIAM RITTER is an Oregon educator and author of the New York Times bestselling Jackaby series. He is the proud father of the two bravest boys in the Wild Wood, and husband to the indomitable Queen of the Deep Dark.