Start by marking “Changeling (The Oddmire #1)” as Want to Read:
Changeling (The Oddmire #1)

Changeling

(The Oddmire #1)

Magic is fading from the Wild Wood. To renew it, goblins must perform an ancient ritual involving the rarest of their kind—a newborn changeling. But when the fateful night arrives to trade a human baby for a goblin one, something goes terribly wrong. After laying the changeling in a human infant’s crib, the goblin Kull is briefly distracted from his task. By the time he tu ...more
Published July 16th 2019 by Algonquin Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Changeling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Changeling

C.G. Drews
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have such a weakness for faerie books and dark forests and just look at this. It's here to give us both. And it's written FOR THE CHILDREN. I absolutely cannot wait till my nephew is old enough for this one because it was so good! It managed to curl a sinister darkness into the most heartfelt and wholesome story of unconditional family love.

I didn't think it was *too* dark, but definitely had enough of a creepy vibe to snag those younger readers' attentions who say they loooove to be scared.
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
“That morning she had wanted nothing more than a cup of tea, and now there were real goblins and sinister swamps and strange women who turned into bears – and her boys were gone.”

Changelings, goblins, creatures, fae? That pretty much checks off everything that will sell a book instantly to me, so I was thrilled to get my hands on a copy of this ARC.

I was interested pretty early on in The Changeling because it was by Young Adult author William Ritter. You may recognize the name, he wrote the
rachel
i would sell what remains of my soul for this
Mandy
Original Review William Ritter doing more magical characters??? In middle grade??? Hello, 2019, you have been made. Now if only Jackaby and a Yeti hat would pop in and life would forever be complete.

Disclaimer: I received this ARC courtesy of  Algonquin Young Readers. I am grateful for the opportunity to review an ARC for my readers, but this will not influence my final rating. All opinions expressed in this review are my own and based solely on the book.

The moment I saw that William Ritter was
Toya
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, edelweiss
There’s something about Changelings that always piques my interest. The idea of goblins swapping human infants for these creepy little terrors than can wreak havoc upon the parents, and sometimes leave them for dead, is utterly chilling.

When I first read the synopsis of Changeling: The Oddmire #1, I was immediately drawn to the idea of changelings in a middle grade setting (I just want to clarify, don’t understand middle grade horror because it is still equaling as chilling). However, this is no
Evangeline
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
On a scale from one to pomegranate? This book is definitely pomegranate.
The Jackaby series holds such a special place in my heart that when I heard Ritter was writing a new series set in the same world, I was ecstatic.
I really need to reread The Map now so I can catch all the references to the goblins, but the little things connecting it to the world of Jackaby were one of my favorite parts of the book.

That being said though, this book stands on its own. Ritter paints a vividly magical pictur
Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Changeling is a fantasy story about twins who have been growing up knowing that one of them might be a goblin. It's about family and the things you would do for your family.

Cole and Tinn are twins but not just ordinary twins, one is a changeling, but since they look so much alike nobody knows which one. Annie remembers quite well that she only gave birth to one boy, but now she has two. It happened when the little goblin who was trying to steal her baby gets interrupted and by then the changelin
Alyson Stone
Jun 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, arc
Book: The Oddmire: Changeling
Author: William Ritter
Rating: 3 Out of 5 Stars

I would like to thank the publisher, Algonquin Young Readers, for providing me with this ARC.

So, William Ritter is a new one for me. This is a middle grade fantasy book. I love how traditional it is in terms of magic: fae, goblins, a mistake, and witches. I also love how most of this takes place in the woods, which always adds an excellent touch to fantasy in my book. I loved the lore and the wonder that William packed
Julia
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Wonderful start to a new fantasy series.

The characters are well-developed, and hence quirky and easy to like and root for them - or dislike them.

I liked the writing style. Loved the banter between the characters. Strong young characters, both Tinn and Cole are wonderful boys and their inner struggle, who the changeling might be, is described very well. Then there are the strong mothers, Goblin's with foul mouths and a sense of humour, lots of other fairy creatures,...

I truly liked this very m
Amanda (MetalPhantasmReads)
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
**I downloaded an arc on Edelweiss for free but will also be on the blog tour for this book in July. All thoughts are my own and the proper review will be out in July**
This was really cute and sweet with great themes of family and identity with a nice, tiny Jackaby reference! My review is now up on the blog :)
Amber Brown
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, middle-grade, fantasy
First one-day read in a long time.
Who knew how much I needed kickass moms in my books? Because these women are champions. #moremomsinmiddlegrade
Ashley
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Oddmire: Changeling is the story of two brothers: Tinn and Cole Burton, who live with their mom, Annie Burton in the little town of Endsborough. Endsborough is surrounded by a forest called the Wild Wood because all sorts of weird magical things live there. However, thirteen years before this story begins, magic seems to be leaving the Wild Wood. To help keep the magic from fading away entirely, a goblin named Kull decides to perform an ancient ritual involving a changeling and a human baby. ...more
Lottie Oliver
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Welcome to the Blog Tour for William Ritter!When I hear that William Ritter was writing a middle grade book I didn't quite understand how it would work. As silly as it sounds, I'm still not quite sure how it works... But it does.I don't know where this is going to go in the long run but I am there. I am going to be reading this series where ever it takes me.Let's start with the synopsis: Magic is fading from the Wild Wood. To renew it, goblins must perform an ancient ritual involving the rarest ...more
Emily
Online Eccentric Librarian
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, arc, fantasy

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

The Oddmire, Book 1: Changeling is a quick read full of fascinating creatures and interesting characters. Because we are never given a date or location, it has a timeless feel, both modernly relatable but quintessentially old fashioned. The atmosphere is nicely established and the writing truly feels from a child's perspective.

Story: Tinn and Cole are twin brothers - except they both know that one is a goblin 'changeling
Melissa Chung
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I want to thank NetGalley and Brittani at Algonquin for sending me this eARC for an honest review.

When I was contacted about reading William Ritter's, (one of my fave YA authors), new book series, I got super excited. When I was asked if I would like to join the book tour, I jumped at the chance.

Willam Ritter is the author of the Jackaby series, a paranormal detective with his assistant Abigail Rook. So think of Sherlock, but for the supernatural.

This book, Changeling or The Oddmire series is a
Reading Bifrost
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, children, magic
Yes! It’s another fantastic series by the ever talented William Ritter! This time he takes us through a journey into the Wild Wood; crossing paths with goblins, witches, and the mysterious Thing. This series is meant for middle grade kids, but I don’t see why it can’t be enjoyed by all ages. There’s elements that will keep you interested throughout, if just to solve the bit of mystery surrounding the characters.

I don’t think there’s a person in my generation that wasn’t intrigued my baby snatchi
Deanna (Deanna Reads Books)
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on my review blog Deanna Reads Books
Changeling is the first book in William Ritter's new middle grade series. Although, having finished the first book, I felt like the story is pretty complete so I'm curious how the sequel will continue the story. The book is a fantasy story steeped in folklore of the dark wood, goblins and fairies.

It's the classic changeling switcheroo story, but the Goblin making the switch messes up and the real boy and the changeling end u
Laura Gardner
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐/5 for this fabulous fantasy series starter by William Ritter; thanks to @algonquinyr for the free book.
Out 7/16, this spooky fantasy belongs in every elementary and middle school library!

My son loves to read but is somewhat picky, so when he came to me 30 pages into this book, eyes shining and said “oh mama, I have so many theories!”...that’s when I knew this was a special book. We both ended up loving it!

Tinn and Cole are mischievous twins who live with their mother on the edge of t
Tonja Drecker
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A perfect mixture of creepy, mysterious and wholesome family love, makes this a read to take under the blankets with extra snacks and batteries for those flashlights.

In hopes of renewing the goblin magic, a goblin uses the very rare chance to exchange a human boy with a changeling. But he gets distracted and can't seem to figure out which one is which. The mother, despite knowing something isn't right, simply keeps both, raises them and loves them with her whole heart. Until one day, the boys wa
Tamra
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
The title and cover were what first drew me to the Changeling (Oddmire Book 1). From the description, I felt like this was going to be an odd mashup of Labyrinth and Fantastic Beasts.
Tinn and Cole appear to be two brothers. Except one of them is a changeling, a special kind of goblin child. When trying to swap a human child and the changeling a goblin, Kull, is distracted for a second...the changeling transforms to look like its human crib companion. Now no one knows which is which, but the cha
Beth Mendelsohn
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss-arc-s
I received this e-ARC from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Goblins are known for switching out human babies with changelings -- goblin babies who then take on the appearance of the humans they are replacing. The goblins then sell the human babies to the fairies and the magic in the Wood is kept in balance. Changelings are rare and by the type Kull tries to switch babies, the magic in the Wild Wood is almost gone. This is due to the Thing that is devouring ever
Shakera
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
They say “parents know their child”, but is that really true? If your child was switched at birth with a child that looks exactly like the child you gave birth to, would you know? That is something that has been troubling Annie for 13 years. Kull, a goblin, did a botched job of switching the children. He was distracted and the changeling adapted to the baby before Kull had a chance to make the switch. Everyone has heard the stories, but what they haven’t heard… Tinn and Cole, the children have o ...more
Emily (Infinite Lives, Infinite Stories)
Netgalley Review
I absolutely loved Ritter’s Jackaby series and I can already tell that his Changeling series will be no different.

Love magical creatures? Then this is the book for you! Changeling follows twin brothers, Tinn and Cole as they set out on a magical journey. There is never a dull second with these two around. Likewise, Ritter’s creatively crafted story will leave you wanting more.

Aside from the adventure and humor, there are plenty of lessons and themes for younger audiences to pic
Matthew Galloway
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mg
First off, I have to say that I love there are Jackaby references! You don't need to read that series and, I think, whether you read that or this one first, once you make the crossover you'll be delighted to spot the ties.

This is a sweet, quirky tale with themes for both children and adults. There's great humor, clever use of folklore, excellent twists. There's a blend of familiar tropes and surprising turns. All in all, a very enjoyable read.

As a side note: there was a climactic scene which, fo
Jaime
Changeling is a fun, magical adventure perfect for fans of middle grade. I enjoyed the concept of two boys growing up side-by-side, one human and one a changeling, and the journey to discover who they are.

The cast of characters is a blast. I love the magical creatures, the spooky witch, and the Thing hiding in the woods. But the real MVP of the book is Annie Burton, the two boys' mom. She kicks butt and is a fantastic role model of a good, parent figure in a book. Another character, Fable, defin
Kelly Erickson
In Changeling, magic is disappearing from the Wood and in order to save it a goblin takes a changeling baby and plans to switch it with a human baby. Unfortunately things don't go as planned and he ends up leaving both babies there to be raised by their human mother.
The main plot takes up when the boys are almost 13, and the goblin invites them into the Wood, which they've grown up hearing scary stories about, as his last chance to try and save it and the rest of the goblins.

This book was real
C.P. Cabaniss
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
*I received a copy of this novel from the publisher through Netgalley as part of the blog tour.*

This was an exciting adventure about two brothers, one a human and the other a goblin changeling intended to take his place. At thirteen, they still don't know which of them is the real boy and which the goblin, but they are happy to be brothers and live with a mom who loves them.

But of course things can't stay like this forever.

This is a fantasy adventure story, but it's also much more. It's about
Rebecca M
I was fortunate to receive an ARC of this title from the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review.

A fast-paced fantasy adventure about a family, a goblin, and a world whose magic is slowly dying...

Identical twins Cole and Tinn do everything together: climb trees, steal their mother's marmalade tarts, and attend their first school dance. But a shared secret has been hanging over them their whole lives: one of them is a flesh and blood boy, and the other is a goblin changling. No one kno
Paul
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This tale is strong in pacing with quick, engrossing chapters. The human characters are allowed to grow a bit before the magical elements start to be infused into the story. When the twins cross over into the woods, the story changes to one of real evil and poisoning villains. I loved the little girl who appears and helps the pair through some challenges. Also a character of note is the twins’ strong mother who stops at nothing to help her sons, not caring if one might be a goblin in disguise.

A

• Find Me Their Bones (Bring Me Their Hearts, #2)
  • The Magnolia Sword: A Ballad of Mulan
  • The Beckoning Shadow (The Beckoning Shadow, #1)
  • The Other Side of the Sky (Untitled, #1)
  • Untitled
  • Spectacle (Spectacle, #1)
  • Immunity (Contagion, #2)
  • Here There Are Monsters
  • The Bone Houses
  • Song of the Abyss (Tower of Winds, #2)
  • Untitled (Gates of Thread and Stone, #3)
  • The Shadow Wand (The Black Witch Chronicles, #3)
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • The Boy and Girl Who Broke the World
  • Sword and Pen (The Great Library, #5)
  • Untitled Standalone
  • The Iron Will of Genie Lo (The Epic Crush of Genie Lo #2)
  • Last Bus to Everland
WILLIAM RITTER is an Oregon educator and author of the New York Times bestselling Jackaby series. He is the proud father of the two bravest boys in the Wild Wood, and husband to the indomitable Queen of the Deep Dark.