Start by marking “Changeling (The Oddmire, #1)” as Want to Read:
Changeling (The Oddmire, #1)

Changeling

(The Oddmire #1)

Magic is fading from the Wild Wood. To renew it, goblins must perform an ancient ritual involving the rarest of their kind—a newborn changeling. But when the fateful night arrives to trade a human baby for a goblin one, something goes terribly wrong. After laying the changeling in a human infant’s crib, the goblin Kull is briefly distracted from his task. By the time he tu ...more
Published July 16th 2019 by Algonquin Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Changeling, please sign up.
Madelaine I got the impression that it was for older children and tweens. The main characters are about to turn 13.

Start your review of Changeling (The Oddmire, #1)
C.G. Drews
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have such a weakness for faerie books and dark forests and just look at this. It's here to give us both. And it's written FOR THE CHILDREN. I absolutely cannot wait till my nephew is old enough for this one because it was so good! It managed to curl a sinister darkness into the most heartfelt and wholesome story of unconditional family love.

I didn't think it was *too* dark, but definitely had enough of a creepy vibe to snag those younger readers' attentions who say they loooove to be scared.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
"Once upon a time, there was a child whom the goblins came to steal, and once upon a time, there was a child whom the goblins left behind..."

I don't reach for middle grade fantasy terribly often because I tend to be picky, but when I do, I'm looking for specific things: a whimsical world I can escape in, a sense of humor that can make me smile (or better yet, laugh out loud), and characters I can genuinely love and care for. I cannot even begin to tell you how flawlessly William Rit
Sherwood Smith

It’s interesting to me that during the Victorian period, children’s literature was very frequently far more violent than literature for adults. (I’m ignoring potboilers here.) While adult literature was full of manners, ladies and gentlemen, possibly a duel or two (and let’s not forget the casual racism, sexism, etc), children’s literature was filled with dire preachments and warnings of just what happens to bad kids—usually with graphic examples.

I remember one book given to me for my daughter o
Amy Imogene Reads
I was primed to love this because I love creepy woods, magic, goblins, and fairy tales... but this still surprised me anyway.

Concept: ★★★★
Humor: ★★★★★
Pacing/Plot: ★★★★

Changeling was such a fun middle grade read. Obviously I'm not the target audience, but this story entranced me and stuck out regardless. Good writing is good writing.

We all know the changeling story: in the dead of the night, a magical creature steals your baby and replaces it with an identical copy—the changeling. You then rais
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
“That morning she had wanted nothing more than a cup of tea, and now there were real goblins and sinister swamps and strange women who turned into bears – and her boys were gone.”

Changelings, goblins, creatures, fae? That pretty much checks off everything that will sell a book instantly to me, so I was thrilled to get my hands on a copy of this ARC.

I was interested pretty early on in The Changeling because it was by Young Adult author William Ritter. You may recognize the name, he w
Sherwood Smith
Jul 16, 2019 added it
Shelves: fantasy

I remember one book given to me for my daughter o
rachel ☾
Sep 25, 2018 marked it as radar
i would sell what remains of my soul for this
Christi M
May 31, 2020 rated it liked it

"Once upon a time, there was a child whom the goblins came to steal, and once upon a time, there was a child whom the goblins left behind."

There is a classic feel to Changeling. In it middle grade readers are introduced to goblin folklore, which is then combined with contemporary elements. The premise of this story is mostly based on goblin changeling lore: a goblin substitutes a couple’s real baby for a goblin baby that looks identical. Sometimes the lore describes fairies doing thi
Stephanie
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mg-fiction
Note One: At just 95 pages in (about a third of the way through) I had to pop in here to say firmly: Annie Burton might just be my favorite mom in MG fiction and my personal hero. :)

This is just a little snippet from when she comes face to face with the goblin who left a changeling in her house years ago (and had to run away before he could steal the human baby he'd come for, leaving two identical boys in her home):

"Your changeling?" Annie rounded on him. "Yours? They are my boys."

"The changeli
Mehsi
I received this book from the publisher in exchange of an honest review. Look forward to the Blog Tour for Book 2 hitting my blog on June 25th!

I have been looking forward to reading these books for some time so imagine my delight when I got a mail from the publisher! They wanted me to be part of the tour, and if I wanted to read the books that would also be great. Of course I did a big bookshimmy and a big scream of joy.

It took me a bit to read the book. While I do want to read it.. when books a
Mandy
Original Review William Ritter doing more magical characters??? In middle grade??? Hello, 2019, you have been made. Now if only Jackaby and a Yeti hat would pop in and life would forever be complete.

Disclaimer: I received this ARC courtesy of  Algonquin Young Readers. I am grateful for the opportunity to review an ARC for my readers, but this will not influence my final rating. All opinions expressed in this review are my own and based solely on the book.

The moment I saw that William Ritter was
Rae
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
Thank you to the publisher for giving me the opportunity to read this as an ARC and to also participate in the Blog Tour.

Check out my blog tour post here:

We've all heard of different stories based off of changelings left behind in place of a stolen human child, but never before have I read one where the goblin messes up so royally and leaves behind both the changeling and the human! This story was so unique and yet also felt like a tale of old that I've he
Melissa Chung
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I want to thank NetGalley and Brittani at Algonquin for sending me this eARC for an honest review.

When I was contacted about reading William Ritter's, (one of my fave YA authors), new book series, I got super excited. When I was asked if I would like to join the book tour, I jumped at the chance.

Willam Ritter is the author of the Jackaby series, a paranormal detective with his assistant Abigail Rook. So think of Sherlock, but for the supernatural.

This book, Changeling or The Oddmire series is a
Toya
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, edelweiss
There’s something about Changelings that always piques my interest. The idea of goblins swapping human infants for these creepy little terrors than can wreak havoc upon the parents, and sometimes leave them for dead, is utterly chilling.

When I first read the synopsis of Changeling: The Oddmire #1, I was immediately drawn to the idea of changelings in a middle grade setting (I just want to clarify, don’t understand middle grade horror because it is still equaling as chilling). However, this is no
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, own
Omg ow my heart at this cuteness. It's like if Molly Weasley was a single mother to Fred & George but one of them was a changeling!

So even though this book is HIGHLY OVERPRICED in Canada ($25 for a damn middle grade?! Really?!), I'm happy to own this. I'm such a fan of Ritter's writing but especially his characters. I'd truely be shocked if you liked Jackaby and didn't like this.
Dee
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on my review blog Deanna Reads Books
Changeling is the first book in William Ritter's new middle grade series. Although, having finished the first book, I felt like the story is pretty complete so I'm curious how the sequel will continue the story. The book is a fantasy story steeped in folklore of the dark wood, goblins and fairies.

It's the classic changeling switcheroo story, but the Goblin making the switch messes up and the real boy and the changeling end u
Mary Catelli
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's listed The Oddmire book 1, but it's a standalone story.

It briefly recounts how the magical world and the human worlds got separated, and the wall between them broken, and how a Thing got out.

Then to the main story. The goblin Kull brings a changeling, despite orders, so he can take a human baby. Then, having put the changeling in the cradle, he's prevented from snatching the human baby, and the changeling changed so well that he can't tell which one is which.

Neither can the humans, down to
Tammie
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read- April 2020 for the O.W.Ls Magical Readathon (Divination- random number generator)
- William Ritter wrote one of my all time favourite series (The Jackaby series) and it's been so nice reading more from him. I literally pre-ordered the second book the minute I finished this.
Dawn Michelle
I was looking forward to this book since I first saw it on NetGalley [as I really like this author and his Jackaby series] and I am glad to say that I was not disappointed!!
The book starts a little slow and I was wondering if I was even going to like it and then WHAM, it picks up and you are on quite the ride until the end.
Perfect for middle-grade readers, it is fun and full of adventure, scary, but not TOO scary and the end sets up the next book perfectly, without it being a dumb cliffhanger
Caryn - iam.caryn
This is one of the most whimsically inventive middle grade fantasies I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading.

Changeling is infused with Ritter’s trademark clever humour and unique characters.

The subtle mention of an expert in New Fiddleham may have made me squee a little bit.

If you’re a middle grade reader or if you have littles who love quirky fantasy, I highly recommend this.
Alyssa Nelson
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
*I received a free copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.*

Changeling is a beautiful coming-of-age story about two boys raised as twin brothers; they know that one of them is a “changeling”–a goblin–but neither knows which one of them is human and which is a goblin. The story tackles what it means to be family, friends, and of course, human. Ritter does a brilliant job of going back and forth between each boy showing that each has typical “goblin”
Evangeline
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
On a scale from one to pomegranate? This book is definitely pomegranate.
The Jackaby series holds such a special place in my heart that when I heard Ritter was writing a new series set in the same world, I was ecstatic.
I really need to reread The Map now so I can catch all the references to the goblins, but the little things connecting it to the world of Jackaby were one of my favorite parts of the book.

That being said though, this book stands on its own. Ritter paints a vividly magical pictur
Ellie
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: middle-grades, series
After LOVING the Jackaby series, this was a disappointment. I had been looking forward to a new book by Ritter, but this one just never pulled me in. Honestly, it took me over a month to read because it didn't hold my interest enough to read it alone, so I read it while also reading like four other books.
Jackaby had such enjoyable characters, and I really only came to love the women in this book. The boys were fun, but nothing about them was captivating. The story was a nice dive into the idea
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
Had fun reading this with my kiddos!
Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?)
I received a complementary copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes I use are from an unpublished copy and may not reflect the finished product.

"By now she had learned what more experienced parents could have told her as a young mother: mischief is in the nature of goblins and growing children in roughly equal measure, which left the matter uncertain far longer than she had anticipated."

One of my favorite things about
Paige Green
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I received this book from the publisher. Thanks! All opinions are my own.

Book Series: The Oddmire Book 1

Rating: 5/5

Publication Date: July 16, 2019

Genre: MG Fantasy

Recommended Age: 12+ (slight scary moments)

Publisher: Algonquin Young Readers

Pages: 272

Amazon Link

Synopsis: Magic is fading from the Wild Wood. To renew it, goblins must perform an ancient ritual involving the rarest of their kind—a newborn changeling. But when the fateful night arrives to trade a human baby for a goblin on
C.P. Cabaniss
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
*I received a copy of this novel from the publisher through Netgalley as part of the blog tour.*

This was an exciting adventure about two brothers, one a human and the other a goblin changeling intended to take his place. At thirteen, they still don't know which of them is the real boy and which the goblin, but they are happy to be brothers and live with a mom who loves them.

But of course things can't stay like this forever.

This is a fantasy adventure story, but it's also much more. It's about
Ariana
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on: The Quirky Book Nerd

*I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

I absolutely loved this novel. It is such a fun and magical read with just the right amount of suspense and creepiness to it. At its’ core, it is a beautiful story of love, belonging, and the true meaning of family. It shows the bravery and strength one can find in themselves when protecting the ones they love. On top of being an action-packed adventure, this story is als
Rae
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read this book and others on my blog: https://thriftybibliophile.com

The Oddmire by William Ritter is the story of twin boys who are raised as normal, very ordinary boys, but one them is a changeling.

In an effort to save magic, Kull, a well-meaning goblin, attempts to trade a human baby for a goblin baby. While in the process of making the switch, Kull gets distracted. By the time Kull turns back, the goblin baby has already mirrored the human, and Kull can no longer tell the two apart. Instead
Amanda (MetalPhantasmReads)
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
**I downloaded an arc on Edelweiss for free but will also be on the blog tour for this book in July. All thoughts are my own and the proper review will be out in July**
This was really cute and sweet with great themes of family and identity with a nice, tiny Jackaby reference! My review is now up on the blog :)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Before They Were Authors: Famous Writers as Kids
  • The Best at It
  • The Light Jar
  • The Magnificent Monsters of Cedar Street
  • Archimancy (Shadow School, #1)
  • Scary Stories for Young Foxes
  • A Green Place to Be: The Creation of Central Park
WILLIAM RITTER is an Oregon educator and author of the New York Times bestselling Jackaby series. He is the proud father of the two bravest boys in the Wild Wood, and husband to the indomitable Queen of the Deep Dark.

The Oddmire (2 books)
  • The Unready Queen (The Oddmire, #2)

News & Interviews

“Mischief is in the nature of goblins and growing children in roughly equal measure.” 0 likes