Start by marking “Keep Going: 10 Ways to Stay Creative in Good Times and Bad” as Want to Read:
Keep Going: 10 Ways to Stay Creative in Good Times and Bad

Keep Going: 10 Ways to Stay Creative in Good Times and Bad

Keep Working. Keep Playing. Keep Creating.

In his previous books Steal Like an Artist and Show Your Work!, both New York Times bestsellers, Austin Kleon gave readers the keys to unlock their creativity and showed them how to become known. Now he offers his most inspiring work yet, with ten simple rules for how to stay creative, focused, and true to yourself—for life.

The c
Published April 2nd 2019 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Keep Going, please sign up.

Start your review of Keep Going: 10 Ways to Stay Creative in Good Times and Bad
Ariel
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love me some Klein motivation! While “Show Your Work” is still my favourite of this trilogy, many of the things in this book resonated with me. The two things I’ve taken away from it the most are: 1/ At the end of a day be happy with what you accomplished and don’t beat yourself up for what you didn’t finish, and 2/ it’s important to take note of what we pay attention to... those are the things we care about, that excite us, and should be the things we put our energies into! We should also be ...more
Chris Wolak
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Austin Kleon's books are injections of motivation laced with sanity. A reminder that you don't need anyone's permission to do what you want to do, you just need to keep on your path. I'm sure I'll read this one 10 more times this year. Simple and highly inspirational. I love that he's shredding the idea that one's passion or hobby should be turned into a vehicle to make money.
Hizatul Akmah
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
SUCH A GREAT FEEL-GOOD BOOK
Rachel Watkins
During these heavy times, it's nice to get a little pep talk when you need it. Austin Kleon's newest, KEEP GOING, fits the bill. With kind advice that isn't cloying, Kleon helps us remember what is important. I read this straight through but know I'll pick it up to any random page from time to time for a little pat on the back. I'll be hand selling this as a gift book for graduates and those needing a boost.
Juan Rodríguez
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Austin says he wrote this book because he needed to read it. He is certainly not the only one; this book is an inspiration to any of us who want to live a creative life and let, well, life get in the way. It's practical, it's funny, it's inspirational, it's like a friend of yours wrote a book and you're having an awesome time reading it.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A new book from Austin Kleon about how to stay creative.

I am taking away a lot from this book:

(1) "How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." Annie Dillard

(2) Make lists.

(3) Disconnect from the world to connect with yourself.

(4) Build a bliss station.

(5) Play.

(6) Slow down.

(7) I subscribed to Kleon's weekly newsletter.

(8) I hope to go see him when he visits Houston soon.

Nicolet Groen
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-bookshelf
I've seen Austin Kleon's books hundreds of times when finding my next book to read and I must admit; I never felt the urge to buy and or read one. NetGalley gave me the opportunity to review this book as an educator and decided to give it a go.

Once I started, I couldn't stop. It's a short book with an incredible amount of depth. As a photographer en photography educator, I read my fair share of books from self-help and happiness to entrepreneurship and more photography-related writings. This bo
Elizabeth A
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, non-fiction, art
"The creative life is not a linear journey to a finish line, it’s a loop—so find a daily routine, because today is the only day that matters."

There are some people who read widely and distill some of humanity's accumulated wisdom into digestible nuggets. Austin Kleon is one such person. This little book is a gentle reminder of things we already know, and yet often do not do. Whether you think of yourself as creative or not (and you so are), pick this one up and get your mojo on. This is one I wi
صفية
Jun 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
A book about hope...

Hope that it's okay to have more time, be selfish, isolate yourself (not eternally that is) ... etc ... Many times I sent the writer virtual hugs for sharing his thoughts ... Thank You !

I guess that this should be your go to writer if you are interested in making art, understanding creativity (first-hand) or simply aspiring to live a fuller life.

I believe that being an artist is not tied to a specific type/category of disciplines, rather it's just hitting a sort of "nirvana"
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of those books you should have always on your night-stand to (re)read a little bit every day.

This is the first book by Austin Kleon that I read, and I absolutely recommend it, specially if you are an artist of any kind (although I found that some of the advice or experiencies he shared were easier to relate to if you work with your hands, drawing, moulding, doing collage...).

Along with tips for artists, there are also general life recommendations (less screens, walk more to think better!), a
Randa Mashnouk
Apr 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's a self-help/pep talk kind of book for anyone who enjoys doing creative things. Even though I have a love/hate relationship with books that give pep-talks, I find this one quite interesting and helpful. Not the kind of "look yourself in the mirror and repeat (I'm awesome) until you become one," but practical tips and stories, which we actually do most of the time but don't know how beneficial they are for the creative process and progress.

Some excerpts:
• “What would you do if you were stuck
Stephanie
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got a letter of rejection yesterday. It's interesting to note where my mind goes when getting these letters. Sometimes it lights a fire in me, that I must get better or produce more! But other times, like this time, it kills my motivation.
Right now I'm at this beautiful hotel in Oregon. It's based on wonderful authors and has a determination to bring it's inhabitants into retreat. Here, I am forced to consider my own mind in rejection. And I needed help.

Was it fate that made me pick up this b
Rebecca
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this! It’s full of helpful tips to harness your creativity but also offers a piece of comfort. I feel like it’s one of those books that I will keep going back to & rereading often.

I love the cover & the font used. The little comics are quirky and I enjoyed the quotes.

I’d definitely gift this to people!
Emelie Gaughan
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was on a roll on this first day of the year and was really feeling the non-fiction, inspirational, short books on my shelf.

Last year, I was began teaching a class on Creativity in the Organization as a part of the Leadership training that all of our employees attend at the County. So, when I found out that Austin Kleon, the author of Steal Like An Artist and Show Your Work, had recently published a book on this topic, I was all over it!

The book is broken down into 10 main suggestions with ab
Rehan Abd Jamil
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
A must-read!
Ashita Thakur
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was lingering between a 4 and a 5 star, just wondering how much I enjoyed this and would I even retain it in the long term or come back to it? But that’s the beauty of Kleon’s series, I suppose. You can read them in their entirety or simply pick out pages and browse through them randomly before you sleep. Extremely readable, poignant in its simplicity and creatively charged.
Cauchy09
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good pithy reminders on how to clear nonsense out of life and make room for more good stuff.
Pranjal Kumar Nandi
And then, another mind refreshing book from Austin Kleon. His book is always an easy reading yet a strong one. This book is nicely organized. The non-traditional representation of contents is the unique side of Kleon's book. Like Kleon tells about himself that he is a writer who draws.
Andrew Shaffer
May 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A motivational/best practices guide for artists and writers. Not quite as “game changing” as his first book, though there’s a lot to like here.
Jessica G
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am IN LOVE with this book.
It could very easily end up being my favourite book of the year, even at this early stage.

I think there's something about the world that we live in that just needs more positivity. More hope. And somehow in the short 200 or so pages in 'Keep Going' I feel revived and ready to take on the world anew.
I tend not to take these sorts of tip/self-help books so seriously, but THIS? My folks, THIS was brilliant. I feel so enlightened and inspired by not only Austin's words b
Stefi
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is EVERYTHING! Not sure if it’s because I’m in need of a little creativity reinforcement, or if it’s just THAT GOOD! I love the list of things he lays out to revive your creativity and not let life get in the way. Every morsel and tidbit was backed up by other mentors and quotes that would just drive home his initial intent of each chapter. It’s a quick read, but a brilliant one. So brilliant that I went ahead and preordered a hard copy so I can reference it at all time!

Caiti S
May 29, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Similar in style, tone, and content to Kleon's previous two books, but updated to feel extremely relevant in 2019. He talks about creating art when you feel hopeless, and the challenge of creating in a digital world full of distractions and constant feedback in the form of likes and followers. Not revolutionary but good and timely reminders.
Nathan Albright
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenge-2020
The author notes at some point during this book that he began this particular book with a series of blog posts relating to creativity, and that can easily be believed.  As a mixture of text with some graphic elements to spice up the materials, the author has clearly done a good job at winning over the audience with a mixture of sound advice and good humor.  As someone who has read a lot of books on creativity I can say that most of these books are not very enjoyable to read, not least because of ...more
Farhan Khalid
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: american, creativity
The creative life is not a linear journey to a finish line, but rather a loop

Life is short and art is long

Creativity is both about connection and disconnection

It’s important to connect with others to be inspired and gather ideas, but it’s important to disconnect from the world and retreat to a place where you can think about those ideas and bring forth something worth sharing with others

The greatest need of our time is to clean out the enormous mass of mental and emotional rubbish that clutters
Gary
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Keep Going literally keeps Kleon’s momentum going from the 2 previous books in the “trilogy”. It serves as a tremendous pep talk. While reading I found myself making mental notes about how I need to read this book again soon (and I wasn’t even finished yet). Pick it up, read it all or just a small bit—and then keep going, that’s what it’ll make you want to do.
Peta Tron
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
Some interesting ideas but in general I found it a bit meh. Just a bit passive. A bit don’t worry about it it’ll work out blah blah blah.

I dunno I guess I come from the school of just doing stuff until you don’t think about it. Until you just make something and keep going. Just show up.

I’m struggling to find the right words here. But yeah I wasn’t really into this one.
Mariana Quesada
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the first 2 books from this series and this one is no exception! This time Austin Kleon gifts us 10 tips to stay motivated and true to ourselves doing what we love. I love how short and to the point these books are and how positive they make me feel. They're all worthy of several re-reads.
K.A. Linde
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every creative type should read this book!
José Antonio Gutiérrez Guevara
If someone is looking for a way to remain creative, this is a must read book! It empowered me and gave what I was looking for. Highly recommended!
Kyla Squires
I did not enjoy this book as much as Show Your Work!: 10 Ways to Share Your Creativity and Get Discovered.

It mostly left me wishing I was just re-re-reading The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It for Life and Rest: Why You Get More Done When You Work Less

The author has clearly not experinced the Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing in the same way I have so I found the advice in the 'When in doubt, tidy up' chap

• Find Your Artistic Voice: The Essential Guide to Working Your Creative Magic
  • Creative Calling: Establish a Daily Practice, Infuse Your World with Meaning, and Succeed in Work + Life
  • Feck Perfuction: Dangerous Ideas on the Business of Life (Business Books, Graphic Design Books, Books on Success)
  • The Art of Noticing: 131 Ways to Spark Creativity, Find Inspiration, and Discover Joy in the Everyday
  • Creative Pep Talk: Inspiration from 50 Artists (Gifts for Artists, Inspirational Books, Gifts for Creatives)
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • How to Be an Artist
  • Jak na sítě
  • The Sketchnote Handbook: The Illustrated Guide to Visual Note Taking
  • Art Matters
  • The Loop Approach: How to Transform Your Organization from the Inside Out
  • Work for Money, Design for Love: Answers to the Most Frequently Asked Questions about Starting and Running a Successful Design Business
  • How to Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention Economy
  • Art, Inc.: The Essential Guide for Building Your Career as an Artist (Art Books, Gifts for Artists, Learn The Artist's Way of Thinking)
  • In Pursuit of Inspiration: Trust Your Instincts and Make More Art (Creativity Exercises, Art Book for Artists Techniques)
  • Art Before Breakfast: A Zillion Ways to be More Creative No Matter How Busy You Are
  • Daily Rituals: How Artists Work
  • Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World
I’m a writer who draws. I make art with words and books with pictures. Author of Steal Like An Artist and other bestsellers. Visit my website: http://austinkleon.com/ ...more