Start by marking “Keep Going: 10 Ways to Stay Creative in Good Times and Bad” as Want to Read:
Keep Going: 10 Ways to Stay Creative in Good Times and Bad

Keep Going: 10 Ways to Stay Creative in Good Times and Bad

Keep Working. Keep Playing. Keep Creating.

In his previous books Steal Like an Artist and Show Your Work!, both New York Times bestsellers, Austin Kleon gave readers the keys to unlock their creativity and showed them how to become known. Now he offers his most inspiring work yet, with ten simple rules for how to stay creative, focused, and true to yourself—for life.

The c
Expected publication: April 2nd 2019 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Keep Going, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keep Going

Rachel Watkins
During these heavy times, it's nice to get a little pep talk when you need it. Austin Kleon's newest, KEEP GOING, fits the bill. With kind advice that isn't cloying, Kleon helps us remember what is important. I read this straight through but know I'll pick it up to any random page from time to time for a little pat on the back. I'll be hand selling this as a gift book for graduates and those needing a boost.
Rebecca
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this! It’s full of helpful tips to harness your creativity but also offers a piece of comfort. I feel like it’s one of those books that I will keep going back to & rereading often.

I love the cover & the font used. The little comics are quirky and I enjoyed the quotes.

I’d definitely gift this to people!
Stefi
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is EVERYTHING! Not sure if it’s because I’m in need of a little creativity reinforcement, or if it’s just THAT GOOD! I love the list of things he lays out to revive your creativity and not let life get in the way. Every morsel and tidbit was backed up by other mentors and quotes that would just drive home his initial intent of each chapter. It’s a quick read, but a brilliant one. So brilliant that I went ahead and preordered a hard copy so I can reference it at all time!

Jessica Gilham
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am IN LOVE with this book.
It could very easily end up being my favourite book of the year, even at this early stage.

I think there's something about the world that we live in that just needs more positivity. More hope. And somehow in the short 200 or so pages in 'Keep Going' I feel revived and ready to take on the world anew.
I tend not to take these sorts of tip/self-help books so seriously, but THIS? My folks, THIS was brilliant. I feel so enlightened and inspired by not only Austin's words b
Jeremy
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Note: I received this book as an ARC from NetGalley.

I thought this book was great. It's a short read that offers plenty of motivation to keep working on the stuff that makes you excited, and it made me want to continue my work. As any other artist, I often feel the sense of futility with my work. A common question is, "What's the point?" Austin Kleon's book makes a resounding statement that we should care about our work, and that it is important.

I really liked the brevity of the book. Too often
Madelyne
This is the first book I have read by Austin Kleon. I am familiar with his work through social media because my sister led me to him after she read his previous books. Apparently I must remedy this error immediately, any excuse to buy more books and to read more ART encouraging words… yes please, sign me up.

From the beginning his words captured my attention for their simple, straightforward, and soul quenching honesty. I could easily have devoured this book in a matter of hours. However, I wante
penny shima glanz
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
For fans of Kleon's work, and those who need a nudge, KEEP GOING offers straightforward ways to do exactly that -- keep going.

This great book combines his succinct elaborations of each point with relevant blackout poems, comics, and quotes. It results in a book that is easy to flip through when a creative spark is needed or to read cover to cover to provide motivation.

This is a very useful book and deserves a spot on your bookshelf. I plan to keep my copy in an easy-to-reach spot by my desk.

I re
Ashley Holstrom
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A real review will come eventually. But this book is just what I needed.
Karen
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

When I saw there was an Austin Kleon book coming out, I knew it was an occasion to celebrate. I was super excited when I got the approval email from netgalley, and not-shockingly, I read the whole wonderful book in one sitting. (I am sure he would tell me to slow down, savor, and appreciate the book. But I couldn't. I will just have to reread it so I can do that the second time around.)

I've read several of Austin Kleon's books and this has the same format as the others. It's a little b
Anya
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, art, ebooks, netgalley
I liked Austin Kleon's first two works. They were short and to the point, acting as a reminder of what, how and why we do art and creative work. I also enjoyed Keep Going, which as a procrastinator, I do struggle with the most. He's making the reader reflect on why we do what we do and what we as individual artists want to express. A cute compendium that fits on every artists shelf. The perfect SOS book to grab if you are in a slump and need a pick up. I received a copy from Netgalley and all op ...more
Kelly Lynn Thomas
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Keep Going is a practical pep talk for writers, artists, and creatives of all types. It's full of wisdom on how to walk the creative path to have a fulfilling, happy, and not awful/stressed out/falling apart. For the most part, I think the 10 "tips" were spot on, though I wish he would have spent more time on a few of them.

The chapter on "Slay the Art Monsters" could have used more fleshing out. In it, he brings up the issue of artists who happen to be horrible people and cautions us not to fal
Ramona Mead
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed Kleon's previous works. I appreciate his honest approach to being a creative type: It isn't easy, and it's what we are called to do, so it can take work to find balance, and continue creating when we don't feel like it. I like Keep Going best of Kleon's books because it's broken down into 10 chunks that address different aspects off living a creative life. As always with his work, there's humor, unique poems and illustrations, plus plenty of quotes and advice from other creatives.

Many
Kalyn
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a to the point reminder of what we need to do to remain creative despite the chaos of the world around us. Entertainingly illustrated and peppered with encouraging quotes from other creatives. Kleon has pulled together the 10 things that creatives need to know about creating, but often lose sight of when we get frustrated or bogged down in the negativity that is so present at this moment. This lovely book is the perfect gift for a creative who seems to be struggling or second guessi ...more
Greg
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
I just think that every body who likes to be creative or already doing creative things should read this book. The book is written in a way that the author proves his point concisely aides with illistrations, quotes, and witty prose.

This is the first book I’ve read written by the author. I find this one really good that I would like to read the rest of his books.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for letting me read this book in exchange for my honest view.
Becky
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another gem from Austin Kleon! So many tips, Kleonisms and words of inspiration. Fans will devour this quick and easy read and new fans will appreciate his wisdom. Most definitely a book to read again and again!

Note: I received a Netgalley advance copy and will definitely purchase this book.
Amanda
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well I feel inspired now! I really enjoy Austin Kleon’s work. I’m glad he’s on this planet.
Teresa Svarc
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fic, owned
Loved it!
Erik Tanouye
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Got an ARC of this at Housing Works after taking some old books there to donate today.
Säß Ŕî
Oct 22, 2018
Melanie Sims
Feb 01, 2019
Arash
Dec 09, 2018
Anne
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the most practical book on creativity I have ever seen! It is full of down to earth wisdom, peppered with just the right amount of humor. I’m going to buy this for every creative person I know when it comes out, including myself! Highly, highly recommend.

Thanks to NetGalley, the author and publisher for an advanced reading copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Arlou Jay
  • Madeleine L'Engle Herself: Reflections on a Writing Life
  • Palimpsest: A History of the Written Word
  • Bukowski in a Sundress: Confessions from a Writing Life
  • Because
  • The Derivative Base (Lady Astronaut, #4)
  • Hope for the Best (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #10)
  • Betwixt-and-Between: Essays on the Writing Life
  • Secret Forest
  • OK: The Improbable Story of America's Greatest Word
  • Hanging Out with the Dream King
  • On Being Stuck: Tapping Into the Creative Power of Writer's Block
  • Firefly: Generations
  • Bringing the Devil to His Knees: The Craft of Fiction and the Writing Life
  • Firefly: The Magnificent Nine
I’m a writer who draws. I make art with words and books with pictures. Author of Steal Like An Artist and other bestsellers. Visit my website: http://austinkleon.com/