Start by marking “The Girl Who Wanted to Belong: The Powerful True Story of a Devastated Little Girl and the Foster Carer who Healed her Broken Heart” as Want to Read:

Lucy is eight-years-old and ends up in foster care after being abandoned by her mum and kicked out by her new stepmother. Two aunties and then her elderly grandmother take her in but it seems nobody can cope with Lucy’s disruptive behaviour. Social Services hope a stay with experienced foster carer Angela will help settle Lucy down. She misses her dad and three siblings ...more
Published August 23rd 2018 by Pan Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Who Wanted to Belong, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl Who Wanted to Belong

Start your review of The Girl Who Wanted to Belong: The Powerful True Story of a Devastated Little Girl and the Foster Carer who Healed her Broken Heart
sue
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I admire foster careers and the huge service they do to help a child in their difficult journey in life when things go wrong.
My aunt used to foster for many years so I’ve a little insight of the troubles, the difficulties and rewards. Although, not first hand.

This little girl through no fault of her own finds herself in the care of Social Services. Her Mother went off, her Stepmother isn’t nice to her and that gradually comes to light.

Her Grandmother tried her best to look after her but she’s
Louise Wilson
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
When Lucy was eight she ended up in foster care after being abandoned by her mum and kicked out by her new stepmother. Social Services hope she will settle down with experienced foster carer, Angela. Lucy misses her dad and three siblings and she is desperate for a fresh start back home.

Lucy is a bit of a wild child. She's been abandoned by her mother, her stepmother wants nothing to do with her, and out of desperation, her grandmother phones social services. Lucy gets placed with foster carers
Lou
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't usually read too many books that are emotional as I prefer to relax and not be upset by a story. That being said, lately I seem to have been reading more of these types of books with this just being one of them i've tried in past few months. What attracted me to this was the idea that it was going to be about giving a little girl redemption and letting her be a child. We all need to read stories like these from time to time to remind ourselves just how lucky we are!

Now we all know that
Shalini
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Omg! Omg! I couldn't breathe, my heart felt as if it would shatter under this pain. Pain not for me but for Lucy, an innocent child trying to come to terms with her family scenario...

A beautiful story of heartbreak and rejection. A story of patience and gentleness. A story of foster parents and their immense love and understanding for the children.

This is one book I couldn't put down, I was reading it till 2am. I had to cry the tears, I had to see my heart wrenching when the child is rejected
Jeanniehay64
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You will definitely need a box of tissues when reading this heartbreaking book!! The fact that it’s a true story is unbelievable!!

Little lucy is eight and is taken into foster care when she is abandoned by her mum and her new stepmother, Although initially taken under her familys wings , they find her behaviour difficult, and her grandmother reluctantly has to contact social services for help.

Social services find her foster carers Angela and Jonathan who do all in their power to help Lucy.
Jayne Catherine pinkett
I have not read anything from this author and so was very pleased to be offered an arc copy in return for my independent honest review. Straight away the easy writing style drew me into the story about Lucy who had been fostered by Angela and her husband. This is a very informative book about the important subject of fostering children and how difficult and complex the whole process can be.It is written in a fair and even handed way, the author being truthful about the highs and the lows of ...more
Susan Angela Wallace
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The girl who wanted to belong by Angela Hart.
This was a fantastic read with brilliant characters. It was a very moving and emotional too. With characters like Angela Jonathan Lucy Maria Bella and Jess Lucy's dad but i couldnt stand her step mother Wendy. I thought she was very controlling. And how she kept letting Lucy Down. I loved the ending. Perfect. 5*. Would give more if I could.
Rachel
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lucy is eight years old and ends up in foster care after being abandoned by her mum and kicked out by her new stepmother Wendy. Two aunties and then her elderly grandmother take her in but it seems nobody can cope with Lucy’s disruptive behaviour, but is she all of the things people say about her?

Social Services hope a stay with experienced foster carers Angela and Jonathan will help Lucy settle down. Throughout the book we constantly hear that Lucy just wants to be back with her Dad and family
Amanda
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge fan of non-fiction books such as these- books by inspirational foster carers, who have hearts of gold. I have really enjoyed all the books by Angela Hart, Cathy Glass and Casey Watson to name but a few. As soon as I can get my hands on copies of their new books, I have to dive straight in. ‘The Girl Who Wanted To Belong’ is Angela’s new book and it is heart breaking but also inspirational. I absolutely loved reading it but more about that in a bit.
My heart really broke for Lucy. She
Shirley
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Girl Who Wanted To Belong is about a little girl, just 8 years a old who is constantly being let down by her family, luckily for Angela Hart who fostered her was there for her and provided the love and care she desperately needed, I enjoyed every minute of this book and so happy there was a happy ending.
Karen Whittard
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
My heart was in pieces for little Lucy. All she wanted was a family to love her and to fit in. I just felt crushed with her as her hopes raised and then we’re crushed. I just wanted to reach out through the pages of this book and give her all the love she desperately needed. You will need your tissues for this one if you are anything like me and lots of them.
Jade
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Stars.

I would like to thank The publisher and NetGalley for prviding me with a copy of this book.

"WOW" I am completely moved and emotional after reading this.

I dont normally go to read books like this because I prefer the fictional books. But I am glad that I got the chance to read this, it has completely opened my eyes to the fostering world and made me appreciate the job that foster carers do even more plus given me a clearer understanding.

Angela tells us about her time when she fostered
Nicki
Angela Hart tells this true story in such a gentle way that it captivated me right from the first page. I loved her conversational style and felt like I was having a coffee and a catch up with her each time I picked up the book. Although Lucy’s story was sad it wasn’t a depressing read in any way, rather it made me feel so frustrated for her in the way she was treated by her family. Fortunately Lucy had Angela and her husband fighting for her. They didn’t have an easy time with Lucy because she ...more
Alyce Hunt
Bluebird Press invited me to read The Girl Who Wanted to Belong way back in July, and although it's not the kind of book that I would normally pick up I thought I'd push myself out of my comfort zone and give it a go. Unfortunately, I was right and it really wasn't the book for me.

I admire the work that Angela and Jonathan do as foster carers, but the way that Lucy's story is told is counter-intuitive. Focusing on the first year that she spent in foster care causes the book to move very slowly
Julie Haigh
My new favourite author in this genre.

Angela and hubby Jonathan are in their 40s-they had looked on fostering as a short-term thing until they had their own family. They never had children of their own due to fertility problems and at the time of this case in the book, had been fostering for over a decade. They have a flower shop as well as fostering, a family business which Angela's mum used to run.

Just a few pages in and I was thinking; lovely, just like Cathy Glass books, I really liked it
Sheila
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a well-documented account of how experienced foster parents, Angela and Jonathan take Lucy ostensibly temporarily into their home. There is so much warmth, compassion, selflessness and understanding in Angela's approach to fostering Lucy with commendable support from Jonathan. Angela knows from experience that eight-year-old Lucy comes with a history which is sketchily drawn up and there is the possibility of emotional baggage. Often records are inaccurate or written by a jaundiced ...more
Susan Page
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a true story that just breaks your heart. Lucy is just eight years old when she is torn away from her family to live with foster parents, supposedly for just a short time. Her mother left when she was just four years old, and she adores her father, but his new fiancé really doesn't like her attachment to him, she is jealous. You must decide yourself whether she is the epitome of the wicked stepmother. Poor Lucy is pushed from pillar to post, first she stays at the homes of a couple of ...more
Nicki Southwell
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a heart-wrenching story this is. I never cease to be amazed by the depths people can go to be selfish and unkind.

Angela and Jonathan have been foster carers for about 10 years. They obviously love what they do and when not minding their florist business, are both involved in the foster carer's role.

8 Year old Lucy is their latest addition to the household. They already have an older girl, Maria, who is settled into their lives and they have high hopes for Lucy.

Her father, twin brothers and
Dawn Clifford
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is a beautifully written true story of 8yr old Lucy who was put into foster care. Her stepmother, aunties and grandmother said they couldn't cope with her behaviour as she was disruptive. Angela and Jonathan are experienced foster carers who Social Services called upon to take her in. Showing her love and respect, along with boundaries Angela and Jonathan set about trying to reunite her with her family.
It's a sorry fact that many children are taken in to care when parents find they can't
Bonnie
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley, 2018-reads
Thanks to Bluebird Publishers for inviting me to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

The Girl Who Wanted To Belong is about Lucy. Angela and her husband Jonathan are fostering Lucy. Lucy has been put in to foster care after her dad, Dean, gets a new girlfriend, Wendy, and her and her daughter, Gemma, move in with Lucy and her 3 other siblings. Lucy and Wendy really don't get on and so Lucy is temporarily put into care. This book is about Lucy's journey and trying to get herself back
Amanda
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kerry Henderson
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The true story of a little girl and her battle to get home again. Told by the foster mother who looked after her and gave her a lot of what she needed.

I didn't expect to read this so quickly but once I started I just had to keep reading. I needed to know what would happen to Lucy and if she would go home or not. It's heart wrenching for much of the story but there are some really warming, sweet moments. At times I wanted to cry with all she went through. The story is well written and very
C
Utterly heart-wrenching.

(view spoiler)
Irene
Three and a half star rating.
A true story of an 8 year old girl who was placed in foster care because the stepmother couldn’t or wouldn’t look after her. A heartbreaking read of how a small girl was continually let down by the system, an overbearing, nasty woman and a weak willed father. It takes a special kind of person to foster children and thankfully there are those who are prepared to look after and heal damaged children. This book should come complete with tissues! I was given this ARC by
Diane
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a true story written by a foster parent about a young girl she helped to hold her life together when there were problems at home. It is well written and draws you into the child’s life. I like how Angela didn’t take sides and tried to see the problem from everybody’s different point of view. It was heartbreaking but an interesting look into the world of fostering at the same time. I understand that Angela has written more books about other children she fostered over the years. I will ...more
angela bestwick
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the saddest I've read

I read this story in two days, as a foster carer myself i can totally relate to the apathy and rejection of parents, parents in denial etc.
I th I k the Author is amazing how she keeps her anger in check when so called parents don't care and put their owners first.
The child is now a woman that will always struggle with rejection no matter how resilient.
Tom Turner
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Eye Opener

Having read a number of Fostering Memoirs, I’ve usually found there to be a major issue behind why the child is in care. In this book however, apart from personalities of the people involved, there was no ‘great issue’. Some may think this a reason not to read this book, however. I feel it’s more important to read this book for Thad very reason. This was my first Angela Hart book, it certainly won’t be my last. It gave true insight, and was very compassionate.
Kelly Furniss
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A truly shocking and frustrating case. My heart broke for Lucy and the neglect and abuse she endured by her manipulative parents. Thankfully she was placed in to amazing loving foster care of Angela and her Husband who tirelessly worked through her issues, feelings and broken soul and believed in her!.
A very well written emotional book.
My thanks go to the publisher, author and Netgalley in providing this arc in return for a honest review.
Angela
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucy is eight and ends up in foster care .
She had stayed with her elderly grandmother but she cannot manage her .
Social service hopes that they can be helpful .
There is a Dad and three siblings also there is her stepmother and her daughter who was a friend at the school .
It is a heartbreaking book to read
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like Cathy Glass, you will like Angela Hart!

• Please Don't Take My Sisters
  • Denied a Mummy: The heartbreaking story of three little children searching for someone to love them.
  • Where has Mummy Gone?: When there is nothing left but memories…
  • Innocent: The True Story of Siblings Struggling to Survive
  • A Boy Without Hope
  • A Desperate Cry for Help: Rejected by her family, Meg is lashing out. And now Maggie and her other foster children are in danger… (A Maggie Hartley Foster Carer Story)
  • Sold To Be A Wife: Only a determined foster carer can stop a terrified girl from becoming a child bride
  • Finding Stevie
  • Daddy's Little Soldier: When home is a war zone, who can little Tom trust? (A Maggie Hartley Foster Carer Story)
  • Is It My Fault, Mummy?: A little girl locked in a prison of guilt. A loving foster carer determined to free her
  • Broken: A traumatised girl. Her troubled brother. Their shocking secret.
  • Battered, Broken, Healed: A mother separated from her daughter. Only a painful truth can bring them back together
  • Torn
  • A Long Way from Home
  • The Little Princess: The shocking true story of a little girl imprisoned in her own home
  • Helpless: A True Short Story
  • Trapped: The Terrifying True Story of a Secret World of Abuse
  • The Little Ghost Girl: Abused Starved and Neglected. A Little Girl Desperate for Someone to Love Her