Start by marking “The Class” as Want to Read:

The Class

Twenty Kids. Twenty points of view. One rambunctious, brilliantly conceived novel that corrals the seeming chaos (c’mon, TWENTY points of view!) into one effervescent story.

Sixth grade is a MOST confusing time. Best friends aren’t friends anymore. Worst enemies suddenly want to be partners in crime. And classmates you thought you knew have all sorts of surprising stuff
Published October 8th 2019 by Atheneum/Caitlyn Dlouhy Books (first published October 1st 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Class, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Class

Start your review of The Class
DaNae
I enjoyed this book so much. Before I began I worried it wouldn't work for me. The concept of so many points of view left me wondering if connections to any of the characters would be made. And at heart, I'm a character driven reader. Dowell nailed the shifting friendship and identities of sixth graders. I've been at my school long enough now to watch most of the same students from Kindergarten through 6th. And 6th is the year when personalities and friendships take a hard knock. She was great ...more
Leonard Kim
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There was a Breakfast Club-style book a while back where I noted how hard it was to do this kind of book well, but maybe John David Anderson should give it a try. I should have said Frances O’Roark Dowell (though technically this is not a Breakfast Club setup.) Dowell is a writer of uncommon perception, which is just what is needed to pull off a technically difficult book like this. And despite the realism of the characters, the book is still aspirational, which is just as it should be.

Edited to
Theresa Grissom
Thanks to Edelweiss Plus for an ARC of this book.

I totally and completely LOVED this book! Distinct and unique with each chapter told from the perspective of a different student in one class. I would love to see how the author planned this one ahead of time! Every person that reads this book with identify with at least one student in the class. (My favorite was Henry!) I will not only be buying several copies of this for my school library but will recommend this as a read aloud to the classroom
BunTheDestroyer
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Henry was my favorite
Cute story told of a class that bands together to protect their teacher from being fired. Each character gets their own chapter. Totally engrossing and a great read to start off the new year!
Genevieve
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
@kidlitexchange thank you to author @francesdowellbooks and publisher @simonandschuster for sharing an advanced review copy of The Class with the #kidlitexchange network. All opinions are my own. This book was released on October 8, 2019!

This was a cute book written in multiple voices. In fact, it was written by a whole 6th grade class, each telling the reader their perspective on the happenings in Mrs. Herrera’s classroom. Ellie, whose dad is in the military, has just moved (again) and for
Michelle Kidwell
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
by Frances O’Roark Dowell
Simon and Schuster Children’s Publishing

Atheneum/Caitlyn Dlouhy Books

Children’s Fiction

Pub Date 08 Oct 2019

I am reviewing a copy of The Class through Simon and Schuster Children’s Publishing/
Atheneum/Caitlyn Dlouhy Books and Netgalley:

There are twenty kids in Mrs Herrera’s Sixth Grade Class there is Ellie who has just finished writing her first novel, and Becca who is out to please all the adults in her life, when Becca discovers though that she will not become
Kimberly
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you @kidlitexchange and @simonandschuster for providing me we a review copy of this book. All opinions are my own. The Class by @francesdowellbooks is set to release 10.8.19!!

This is such a creative and fun middle grade book. Forget having a main character. All twenty students in Mrs. Herrera’s sixth grade class get a chance to tell this story. Each chapter alternates to a new person which is a wonderful way to introduce the importance of perspective to young readers.

Middle grade is
Amy Hodges
I loved reading this book told from the perspectives of the students in Mrs. Herrera's 6th grade class. It was a very creative way to tell the middle grade novel. Mrs. Herrera's class has a mixture of students: popular, smart, nice kids, mean kids, bullies, jocks, kids who struggle, quiet kids, jokesters, and kids who want to be the teacher's favorite. Each student lives up to their label at the beginning of the year and mostly stay on separate paths. They begin to come together and better ...more
Kristin Crouch
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to the author for providing me an ARC to review.
I'm a huge fan of books written from multiple perspectives, and The Class did not disappoint. Mrs. Herrera's class is filled with every type of student: kids who bully, kids who love sports, quiet kids, nice kids, studious kids, and, of course, the one kid who drives everyone else crazy. But as they start sixth grade, they start to realize, separately and then collectively, that they are all more than their label would dictate.
Faith
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, netgalleyarc
Any teacher can share how each class has their own personality. From year to year, as students come through, they connect (or don't) with each other and with the teacher. In addition to transferring knowledge to the class, teachers must also find ways to harness the students' energies and challenge them to wrestle with big ideas and grow as individuals.

The Class is a middle-grade novel focusing on one sixth-grade classroom. Narrators change among the students with each chapter. Perhaps we're
Sally Kruger
As a reader who enjoys multiple points of view, I found THE CLASS to be a fun, fast-paced read. Each chapter features the POV of one the twenty sixth graders in Mrs. Herrera's class.

Ellie starts the adventure as she contemplates writing a book about her classmates. She has already finished one book she is sure she could get published if she could only find someone in the publishing business. In the meantime, she decides to focus on her sixth grade classroom. She begins to fill her latest
Jaymie
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
[I received an electronic review copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.]

When I read that this would be a story from the perspective of all 20 kids in the class, I thought it would be all the kids telling roughly the same story, but with added details that would all make sense in the end. Like the first part of THE CANDYMAKERS - it's part of what makes that book brilliant. But that is not how this is structured. This is a chronological story
Deanna Holdsworth
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book and after reading it I felt that I need to look at others through my heart. Look for the qualities that count and create a relationship that matters.

Ellie is the new girl in Mrs. Herrera's homeroom. Ellie want to be a writer and spends a lot of time writing what she sees happening around her. Ellie's family has moved around so she is used to being the new girl, but this time it is different. Middle School is unlike anything she has experienced and trying to fit in is harder
Allison Renner
Thanks to the @kidlitexchange network and Simon and Schuster for the review copy of this book - all opinions are my own. The Class by Frances O’Roark Dowell (@francesdowellbooks) releases on October 8, 2019, and you’ll definitely want to get your own copy then!

The Class is told by twenty different characters, all classmates in Mrs. Herrera’s class. Ellie is an aspiring author who needs an idea for her next book, so she starts taking notes about her classmates. She sees a student who used to be a
Steff Pasciuti
The Class by Frances O'Roark Dowell was presented as a middlegrade novel with 20 or so different perspectives and that was what really grabbed my attention in the end. I was massively curious as to how the book would roll all these different POVs into one novel and so I figured it was worth spending some time on. And honestly, I probably should have known better than to pick this book up based on something as simple as that.

You see, I was so insanely bored readingThe Class that it took me so
Susan
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh, how I loved this MG book! The story is told from the point of view of everyone in a sixth grade class. Each chapter is told by a different student in the class. You learn about their families, their background and their insecurities. You gain so much insight into their thoughts about themselves and about each other.
The teacher is a very caring person who always puts her students first, even though it might result in bending the rules a bit. She’s the teacher we would all want to have;
Beth Mendelsohn
Aug 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: edelweiss-arc-s
I received this e-ARC from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Middle school is a time for big changes in the lives of tweens. The Class follows the students in Mrs. Herrera’s sixth grade class with each chapter being told from a different student’s point of view. New students trying to fit in, old friendships tested, and several of Mrs. Herrera’s items have gone missing. There is a lot going on in this story even though there’s only been 2 months of school. While
Mary Sanchez
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Every student in Mrs. Herrera's 6th grade class had his or her voice heard, but yet their stories connected into one cohesive story.

I particularly liked Mrs. Herrera who was the model of fairness and compassion. She also shared her passions with her students in an interesting way.

I've always enjoyed the author's works, and this one adds to her canon of writing great children's literature.

caitlin
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review copy courtesy of Edelweiss.

Definitely adding this to my to buy list this year and recommending as a read aloud, particularly in place of “Wonder.” Each chapter in this book is from a different perspective of a classmate in a 7th grade class, and so you get to experience what each of the kids feel. The plot revolves around the changes in friendships and personalities as kiddos are in middle school, and also a mystery surrounding their teacher and her missing items.
Nonnie Reads
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Just received the book from Amazon ... review will be printed upon completion of the book.
I am going to need a TREE to keep these kid straight in my head. Oct 15-'19 but that has more to do with my poor memory then the book. I was the type of mom/ now grandma that runs thru all the names of the kids till I got to the kid I wanted.

Loved the characters / their descriptions so typical kid like ... I could switch the names of the students to kids I have in my life and they would be doppelgangers.
Karen
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
This realistic fiction with a touch of mystery story is told in chapter's by the members of Mrs. Herrera's 6th grade class. Who is stealing items from Mrs. Herrera's special shelf? Why did Becca and Petra suddenly change their appearance? Is a former classmate still coming to school? While the idea is solid, the storyline gets a little confusing with 20 different points-of-view.
Kathy
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sixth grade, and all of a sudden classmates you've known all your life start changing. Multiple POV move the story forward as everybody starts to question where they fit in, who they really are, what the categories are (jocks? geeks? popular?), and even if there are such things as categories. What is the difference between being good and being nice? What happens if the rules aren't right?
Ann Braden
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How have we existed without this book before??

Frances O'Roark Dowell is brilliant. This book is like a breath of fresh air blowing through every classroom where kids get labeled & categorized by their peers.
It is REAL! And it's needed!
Also it's funny!
Julie
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very well written. I really enjoyed getting inside the characters as I read each chapter told from a different student's perspective. It's always a good reminder that what a person is like on the inside doesn't always match the outside.
Laurie
Ambitious, highly entertaining, and thought-provoking. I really enjoyed this book and think it would lead to great conversations about how kids sometimes get labeled and categorized and what it means to be “nice” or “good.”
Andréa
Jun 30, 2019 marked it as to-read
Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.
Ellie M
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The main character is an Ellie who loves to write, of course this gets five stars.
Lisa D
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute middle school book about friendship!
Giselle
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
super good, even though it is directed towards younger audiences.

• Maybe He Just Likes You
  • Beverly, Right Here
  • Some Places More Than Others
  • The Line Tender
  • Stargazing
  • Best Friends (Real Friends, #2)
  • The Story That Cannot Be Told
  • Torpedoed: The True Story of the World War II Sinking of "The Children's Ship"
  • Remarkables
  • Jackpot
  • Words on Fire
  • Clean Getaway
  • White Bird
  • Not Hungry
While Frances O'Roark Dowell (Dovey Coe, The Secret Language of Girls, Trouble the Water) is best known for her award-winning novels, she also hosts the popular "Off-Kilter Quilt" podcast, where she talks about her latest quilt projects with friends and fellow quilters around the globe. Her own little corner of the globe is Durham, North Carolina, where she lives with her husband, two sons, and a ...more