Start by marking “Grateful American: A Journey from Self to Service” as Want to Read:
Grateful American: A Journey from Self to Service

Grateful American: A Journey from Self to Service

New York Times Bestseller: The moving, entertaining, never-before-told story of how one man found his calling: to see that those who defend this country and its freedoms are never forgotten.

As a kid in suburban Chicago, Gary Sinise was more interested in sports and rock 'n' roll than reading or schoolwork. But when he impulsively auditioned for a school production of West
Published February 12th 2019 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about Grateful American, please sign up.
Jim Welke The list price, on the back cover of the book, is $26.99. B&N recently had the book marked at 20% off the retail price. …moreThe list price, on the back cover of the book, is $26.99. B&N recently had the book marked at 20% off the retail price. (less)

Start your review of Grateful American: A Journey from Self to Service
Elyse  Walters
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book!!!
It rates in my TOP FIVE FAVORITE *****Audiobooks*****🎧
Gary Sinise is our author and voice narrator.

IT’S HEAVEN ON EARTH SPECULAR!
**HIGHLY RECOMMEND**!!!

Big Thanks to my awesome local friend, *Margie* for telling me how ‘good’ this book is!!! Ya-darn-tootin-It-is!!!!

Now to have a little fun with this review.....
......something similar that I did with “The Martian”, by Andy Weir
I HIGHLIGHTED PREVIOUS REVIEWS....in other words I reviewed other readers reviews. In “Th
Rachel
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I expected to enjoy this book, and was excited to join the launch team and get to read an advance copy. I didn't expect it to make me laugh AND cry, sometimes within the same page. I didn't expect it to touch my heart.

In simple, direct, honest words, Gary Sinise lays out his life story. How he grew up in Chicago, a wild, rudderless teen who found direction and purpose in high school theater classes. How he and a bunch of friends started the Steppenwolf Theatre Company, now one of the most-respec
Caran Walker
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was blessed to be chosen to receive an advanced reader's copy. I do not want to include any spoilers, but Mr. Sinise makes an impact in the Veteran and First Responder community like no other and as his story unfolds, he talks about the work it took for this action to come to fruition. He shares stories of Veteran's and First Responder's he has helped through the years and discusses trips to combat zones in support of the troops. The book was well-written, thought provoking, and quite interest ...more
Stan Stinson
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The role of a lifetime

If you think you know Gary Sinise you really don't. If you want to know how Gary prepared for the role he is now playing, that of one of the foremost supporters of our defenders, first responders, veterans and their families you need to get your copy of this book as soon as it is available. I was privileged to receive an advanced reader copy and have read that and am looking forward to the hardcopy and audiobook I have pre-ordered. It is available to all on February 12th. Y
Marialyce
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gary Sinise is a man to be admired, thanked, and held up as a role model for what a person can do in their treatment and respect for the people who are veterans and first responders.

In his book, we learn about his journey to become an actor and eventually achieve the role he is most remembered by, that of portraying the character Lieutenant Dan, in the movie Forest Gump. He becomes identified as a diabled soldier because of this role and many see him as a standard bearer for those soldiers who
Candice Russell
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am so excited to read this book!! The publisher offered a chapter preview and I am hooked! First chapter had me laughing, crying and intrigued to read more!
Ricardo Fernandez
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sinise, Gary. (February 12, 2019) Grateful American: A Journey from Self to Service. Nashville, TN: Nelson Books.

Gary Sinise opens his biography with an attention grabbing prologue that begins at the 1994 Disabled American Veterans convention in Chicago. He was there to be honored by the group for playing "Lieutenant Dan" in the movie Forrest Gump. He choked up as the disabled veterans enthusiastically stood to applaud his portrayal of a disabled Vietnam veteran. Gary was humbled at receiving t
Cathrine ☯️
3.75 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸
As a man, husband, father, actor, & narrator of this memoir, Gary Sinise (AKA Lieutenant Dan) gets 5 stars. As a patriot and supporter of the men and women in armed service he deserves many more.
This is his story, told in his own voice, about how he came to be such a grateful (and I'm sure beloved) public servant to those in uniform.
Stacy
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has been one of the best to read. I enjoyed all aspects of the story. The book compelled emotions from laughter, anger, sadness, and a profound love of the USA. It was not a slow read book for me, in which, I couldn't put it down. I took the book with me everywhere and promoted it to whomever would listen. As to avoid spoilers, I will not disclose any parts of the book.

Not you ordinary autobiography and left me knowing I could do more. Amazing how one man's vision could accomplish so
Dean Hillestad
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW, WOW!!
As a voracious and eclectic reader, I’ve read dozens of autobiographies, but Gary Sinise hits it out of the ballpark with “ Grateful American, A Journey From Self To Service.”
I’m a naturally fast read, but I slowed down for this one, to savor each word.
From prologue to last paragraph, Gary’s compelling words evoke emotion, from awe, laughter and tears. His honesty, humility, dedication, and talent shows on each and every page.
I learned much of Gary’s past and of his personal life I was
Heather Leeann
Book/ Grateful American
The books title basically describes the Author himself. Gary Sinise a dedicated man who loves America and who will do anything for our Men and Women who are serving or have served. This book is emotional,inspiring and so incredibly detailed. Gary describes his life from struggling teen to how he started his work with our veterans and troops. In 2001 the day our world was taken over completely by evil and devastation, The horrific ordeal drove Mr Sinise to start his extraor
Kathi Rauscher
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book by a hero to our Nation’s Heroes. I purposely took my time reading this book. I didn’t want it to end. Gary is truly a man who is proud of his country and the Servicemen, Veterans and First Responders who serve this country. There You were chapters that had me laughing and some that had me in tears. He is truly one of a kind. The writing was beautifully done. Growing up in Northern Illinois myself I knew all the places he spoke of. This is a must read.
Dave
Grateful American is one of the most inspiring books you'll ever read. In many ways, Gary Sinise is an unlikely story. He was the kid flunking out of every high school class. He was the longhaired counterculture guy who formed a drama troupe and who lived on Peanuts pursuing his dreams of acting. But, a magical thing happened and he found that Vietnam Veterans responded to his Lieutenant Dan character from Forrest Gump. No one remembered his real name, but they remembered this character. He got ...more
Daniel Powers
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book reads like a narrative and is a must read for every American. A celebrities journey through charity work with veterans. Warm and informative. A look into a world less visited from a perspective of giving and learning the struggles of others. It is really indescribable unless you read it.
Jeanette
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fast read and SO honest. His earliest life was 5 star for my read as it was also totally known. It was closely, very closely in the same style and places as mine. Actually exactly in my sister's time frame too.

But the entire is a sincere relating of all the ACTION. He's been a doer. And he went astray and has had periods of flaws and the usual too, meanderings out of antsy and searching mode distraction. Leading to bridge felony. You can tell, especially when he was young but even now- that he
Anna Jemjemian
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Honest and sincere, the stories from the author's life, at times humorous and sad, seem, retrospectively of course, to lead to a life of graciousness and service. It is at once loudly passionate and quietly humbling. Very well written, I wish to simply say to Mr. Sinise, thank you.
Cindi Winegardner
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring, entertaining, moving. Highly recommended.
Donna
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the autobiography of Gary Sinise, who according to this book, is only known to people as Lieutenant Dan. I think it is rare for someone to act on benevolent thoughts. Instead of saying, "Hey! People should do more for our nation's veterans." He actually does it....and not just a "one & done" type thing. He really has made it an integral part of this life. I admire that type of passion when it comes to acts of service & kindness, when he really didn't have to.

He starts off talking about
Nancy Thorsby
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A sincere, often amusing, often sad, very honest telling of this man's journey. I was surprised to find his high school years were not great. His honesty about his wife and children and then his huge desire to make things good for our veterans was so moving. Really liked his detail. Only negative was his back and forth in time sometimes. I am old and it confused me once or twice! I recommend it to everyone!!
Janine Carney doyle
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received the first chapter and am thoroughly looking forward to finishing the book!
Carolyn Harper
Feb 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir
Gary Sinise’s memoir traverses his career and his involvement with supporting American troops and veterans. While the book is interesting, it feels frenetic in the second half, sounding like a list of who’s who. Without taking anything away from the tremendous work that Sinise has done, the book sometimes comes across as self-aggrandizing, though I honestly don’t believe that was his intent. Kudos to Mr. Sinise for his work; the story might have been better told by a third party. I received an a ...more
Moonkiszt
Lt. Dan. . .Gary Sinise is a hero. Advocating service to mankind and putting all he has toward that end. Remembering to say thank you (and mean it!) to those who have served our country and us to make sure we can read books, any books, to make sure we can go to school and ponder on our futures. . . .so many have given up their futures. The author wants us to always remember and never forget there is a reason we are where we are, have what we have and we need to be grateful for it.

This was a grea
Lainey Simon
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC copy of this book. I am a veteran of the United States Army and found my knowledge of Gary to be limited only to his military contributions, and of course, to his character as Lt. Dan. I met Gary in New Orleans in 2017 and thanked him personally for all that he has done for this country. I feel a bit of regret not knowing more about his life than I do now. I would have at least dropped in a joke or a reference to his past to make the encounter more personable.

There are a lot o
Stacey Randall
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is an eye-opener. We can all do more to help our fellow man, and Gary Sinise has paved the way. His loving respect for the men and women who sacrifice their comfort and safety to help protect all of us is evident. The events of Gary's life seem to equip him perfectly for the calling to serve our country and help the military in many ways. Inspiring and honest, Gary is an open book and we are the beneficiaries.

You will laugh and cry along with Gary as he leads us through the evolution
Jedidiah Maschke
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When my wife got an Advance Reader’s Copy of this book, I thought it looked interesting so I borrowed it and finished it over a couple days after several repeated reminders that it was sent to her. Little did I know that it would capture my imagination, and I wouldn’t be able to put it down.
I am familiar with Gary Sinise as an actor from some of his high-profile roles as Lt. Dan in Forrest Gump and Mac from CSI:New York and was a bit familiar with his work with the USO and playing in the Lt. Da
Melissa
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stop what you are doing and buy yourself a copy of "Grateful American"!! It is a fantastic book and one every American should read. Before reading “Grateful American,” I knew that Gary Sinise was involved in supporting the military, but I had NO IDEA the extent of his service. It is truly inspiring to read about everything Gary has done and continues to do to ensure that our servicemen & women and first responders know that Americans are grateful for their service.

In addition to sharing the wor
Anita Uhe Costello
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate to receive an advance copy of Grateful American. For years I have had admiration and respect for Gary Sinise because of his tremendous devotion to our troops, first responders and their families. This book filled in so much that I did not know about Gary Sinise and solidified my admiration and respect. I highly recommend this book and hope we all can learn to do more....
#gratefulamerican
#gratefulamericanbook
Heather Jenkins
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has the capacity to change the world. It will change the way you view the freedoms we enjoy, and the people that protect those freedoms. Gary Sinise shares what drives him, both in his career and in his philanthropic endeavors, or as he calls them “missions”. The glimpses into some very private areas of his life serve to make him very real, and the real Gary Sinise is simply inspiring. Read this book expecting to be changed in how you view those who serve, in any capacity. It will make ...more
John Cochran
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read! Good page turner! Engaging story about a life with no direction and a chance encounter that leads to his life’s purpose! Great book and an even better person!
Kym Jones
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book by Gary Sinise is absolutely AMAZING! It makes you dumbfounded to realize just how much injustice has been done and is STILL being done to our Military Veterans, especially those from the Vietnam War. If you are a fan of Gary Sinise movies/shows, this is a MUST read! It will choke you up and make you laugh both at the same time, and it will make you realize just how truly amazing a person this man is with all the hard work and dedication he has spent focused on our Veterans, making sur ...more

• Paul Harvey's America: The Life, Art, and Faith of a Man Who Transformed Radio and Inspired a Nation
  • The Way I Heard It
  • Fortitude: American Resilience in the Era of Outrage
  • Sacred Duty: A Soldier's Tour at Arlington National Cemetery
  • Tough As They Come
  • The Matriarch: Barbara Bush and the Making of an American Dynasty
  • Forever and Ever, Amen: A Memoir of Music, Faith, and Braving the Storms of Life
  • With All Due Respect: Defending America With Grit and Grace
  • The United States of Trump: How the President Really Sees America
  • Unfreedom of the Press
  • The Soul of an American President: The Untold Story of Dwight D. Eisenhower's Faith
  • Don't Stop Believin'
  • The Theft of America’s Soul: Blowing the Lid Off the Lies That Are Destroying Our Country
  • The Memory Endures
  • Two Who Survived: Keeping Hope Alive While Surviving the Holocaust
  • Five Presidents: My Extraordinary Journey with Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, and Ford
  • The Plus: Self-Help for People Who Hate Self-Help
  • Sam Houston and the Alamo Avengers: The Texas Victory That Changed American History
Gary Sinise is an American actor, director and musician. Among other awards, he has won an Emmy Award, a Golden Globe Award and was nominated for an Academy Award for one of his most memorable roles as Lieutenant Dan Taylor in Forrest Gump. Another notable role was as Detective Mac Taylor in the CBS series CSI: NY (2004–13).

in 2011 Sinise established the Gary Sinise Foundation. The foundation's mi

News & Interviews

“When I thought about that, I remembered something I have heard in church. We each have a purpose in life, and if we’re serving God, following him, living out God’s calling and purposes for our life, then we can have faith that God is leading us, and even difficult times can turn out all right. God can cause all things to work together for good.” 4 likes
“How can I make a difference in restoring what’s been lost? How can I help make sure our veterans are never treated that way again?” 3 likes