Jump to ratings and reviews

Summer by the Tides

From the bestselling author of The Convenient Groom (now a beloved Hallmark Original movie) comes a heartfelt story of family secrets, forgiveness, and unexpected romance.

Following a painful betrayal, Maddy Monroe's love life is a wreck, and her restaurant career is in shambles. When her grandmother goes missing, she and her estranged sisters converge at the family beach house in Sea Haven, North Carolina. Being with uptight Nora and free-spirited Emma at the place where their family broke apart is a struggle, and undercurrents of jealousy and resentment threaten to pull the sisters under. In the midst of the storm, sparks begin to fly between Maddy and Gram's maddening neighbor, Connor Murphy.

As the sisters pack up the family belongings, memories of idyllic, slow-paced summers are resurrected. But long-buried secrets also come to light as Maddy discovers that all was not as it appeared that last summer in Sea Haven--nor today in the seemingly perfect lives of her sisters.

As family tensions rise and Connor causes tumult in Maddy's heart, the sisters must find a way to accept each other for the women they've become before the bitterness of the past destroys their hope for a future.

302 pages, Paperback

First published May 1, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Denise Hunter

77 books3,297 followers
Denise Hunter is the award-winning author of more than 40 novels, three of which have been adapted into Hallmark movies.

Denise writes heartwarming, small-town romances, peopled with layered characters who have real-life issues. Her readers enjoy the vicarious thrill of falling in love and the promise of a happily-ever-after sigh as they savor the final pages of her books.

In 1996, Denise began her first novel, writing while her children napped. Two years later it was published, and she's been writing ever since. Her books contain a strong romantic element, and her husband says he provides all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too!

Denise and her husband live in Indiana, where they raised three sons, and are currently enjoying an empty nest.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
95 (3%)
1 star
21 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 444 reviews
Profile Image for Colleen.
Author 121 books4,390 followers
January 14, 2019
Hunter just keeps getting better and better! This book was my favorite to date. Full of unique and compelling characters and swoon worthy romance, this novel will have a prominent place on my keeper shelf.
Profile Image for Emilee.
461 reviews86 followers
March 5, 2019
Denise Hunter consistently puts out amazing love stories. She is one of my favorite authors. Her books have everything I love in a novel; sweet romance, easy to follow plot and heartwarming messages. Summer by the Tides is set at the beach. Oh! How I love a beach vacation. The warm breezes and the sound of the waves made me feel like I was right there digging my toes in the warm sand. The romance is well done but I especially enjoyed the dynamics of the sisters and how they were able to renew and strengthen their relationships. I recommend Summer by the Tides to all my Goodreads friends who love romance! It was so good! I would love a sequel!
Profile Image for Susan Snodgrass.
1,983 reviews181 followers
April 4, 2019
'She'd left God in the dust quite some time ago.'

Maddy is left reeling from an especially vicious betrayal, both professional and emotional when she is called back to her grandmother's house in Sea Haven, NC. It seems her grandmother is missing and no one has any clue as to where she is. Her grandmother's neighbor, Connor Sullivan, has called Maddy and her two sisters, Emma and Nora and when they converge on the old house, emotions run rampant between Emma and Nora from old hurts and betrayals.

The sisters get busy packing up family belongings in their grandmother's home, and recall the good times they had their each summer as children. But there are many secrets in this family, secrets and betrayals that threaten their hearts. Tensions are high as jealousy, resentment and pain come against this family. Will they ever be able to put aside the past and be close again? Or will they just give in to defeat and go their separate ways?

Meanwhile, Connor Sullivan is beginning to have feelings for Maddy as she is for him. But Maddy is bound and determined never to love again after her most recent break up. After all, if you hide your heart, it can't get hurt. Right? Maybe not.

Denise Hunter has long been a favorite of mine and I never fail to enjoy her books. She knows how to dig right into the reader's heart and pull them into the story completely. Even her secondary characters are meaningful and good to know. She weaves the spiritual theme throughout this story, while capturing the complete emotional make up of her characters. This one moved me deeply and I found myself crying several times. Well done! I highly recommend Summer By The Tides.

*I received a complimentary copy of this book from Thomas Nelson Publishers through Net Galley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
Profile Image for Melanie.
1,901 reviews550 followers
June 23, 2019
Summer by the Tides is the perfect summer read! While it is an easy, beach read it also has a great storyline and I felt for the characters deeply.

I loved how each of the sisters had something they were going through that the others didn't know. There were some bitter feelings from the past and it made for tension which made the ending even better. I also loved the romance; Connor was a wonderful hero and it was sweet to see their relationship grow.

All in all, Summer by the Tides was a fantastic read. I recommend it if you enjoy contemporary romance.

*Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention/review it on my blog. I was not required to give a positive review, only my honest opinion - which I've done. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own and I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.*
Profile Image for Hannah.
2,402 reviews1,323 followers
June 7, 2021
This one’s a perfect summer beach read. It’s even set in a beach cottage, with three sisters who haven’t been in the same house at the same time since their lives fell apart twenty years before. I loved having the sister theme as such a strong element of the story and flipped page after page without wanting to put it down. Maddy also has a spark of romance right away with her grandmother's handsome neighbor Connor, who was a really likable guy for me.

Content: replacement swears, infidelity

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a free reading copy. A favorable review was not required.
Profile Image for Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader.
1,040 reviews121 followers
February 18, 2019
Oh Maddy and Connor. I loved this book from page one until the last page. I always hate to start a book by Hunter because I know that I'm going to read it in one sitting then have to wait for ever for her next book. You are going to love this book of love, forgiveness and family. I HIGHLY recommend this 5 star book!
Profile Image for Stephanie.
1,330 reviews95 followers
April 9, 2019
I received a copy of this title via NetGalley. It does not impact my review.

Summer by the Tides is one of my new favorite Denise Hunter novels. A perfect blend of family, faith, and romance, it was everything I hope for when picking up one of Hunter’s books.

Maddy loses her job and her boyfriend all at the same time so there is nothing holding her back from going to look in on her grandmother when she gets a call from her concerned neighbor. The concerned neighbor also called Maddy’s two estranged sisters, Nora and Emma. Nora and Emma had a falling out twenty years prior and are both still holding grudges. It makes things really uncomfortable when they all show up at their grandmother’s and then decide to stay there to help fix the place up. All the characters were pretty likable, though sometimes frustrating. The secrets that are discovered during their stay were not anything surprising – except there was an extra twist on one that I wasn’t expecting.

I really liked the concerned neighbor, Connor. He was such a sweet and stand-up guy. I loved his relationship with his sisters. I really shipped his growing relationship with Maddy, too. He was exactly the kind of guy that Maddy needed and he was extremely patient with her skittishness. Things did get just a little too cheesy at times when it came to the romance, but I’ll take sappy over graphic any day.

Overall, I really enjoyed Summer by the Tides. It was a cute, quick read that I flew right through. I liked the message of faith and trusting in God and felt it was incorporated really well into the characters’ lives and didn’t come off as preachy. I liked seeing Maddy and her sisters work through their issues and discover family secrets. I liked that reconciliation was shown as a process and small steps and not just a magical fix where everything is all of a sudden fine. I definitely recommend this one to Denise Hunter fans.

Overall Rating (out of 5): 4 Stars
Profile Image for Hallie (Hallie Reads).
1,529 reviews104 followers
July 31, 2019
Take a trip to the beach with Denise Hunter’s newest release, Summer by the Tides. A coastal beach town, sisterly relationships in need of mending, and of course, sweet, sweet romance… This book has the makings of a delightful beach read, not to be skipped this summer.

Reeling from a betrayal that hurt both romantically and professionally, Maddie Monroe heads to Sea Haven, North Carolina when she hears (from the handsome neighbor, naturally) that her grandmother is missing. Little did she know, this trip is exactly what she needs.

Sea Haven offers the perfect venue for sorting through issues, like Maddie’s distrust of men, and mending long-fractured familial relationships. It’s heartwarming to see the drama play out—secrets uncovered, truths acknowledged—as Maddie reconnects with her sisters and gets to know Connor Sullivan pretty well, too, in the process.

If you’re in need of a solid contemporary romance this summer—no matter where you’re reading—I highly recommend Summer by the Tides.

This review is also posted on Hallie Reads.

I received a complimentary copy of this book and the opportunity to provide an honest review. I was not required to write a positive review, and all the opinions I have expressed are my own.
Profile Image for Michelle.
873 reviews35 followers
June 17, 2019
I wasn't sure what to expect from this novel, Denise tends to surprise me in some way with her writing. This was a easy breezy summer read. I enjoyed the sisters and their issues because-real life. I thought the romance could have been a little better written maybe not so obvious or predictable but otherwise this was a good read. The story line was fun and the setting made me want to go on vacation. Their is food mentioned in this book as well that made my mouth water. I would be curious to read more about the other sister's from this novel as their lives interested me more so than Maddy who is the main character in this book. If you are looking for a fresh summer read this would be a good book to pick up!

"Thanks to the publisher for the free copy. All opinions are my own and I was not required to write a positive review."
Profile Image for Karen R.
583 reviews68 followers
June 10, 2019
Recommend to any reader who likes a good family drama with romance. Set on the beautiful Carolina coast in a little beach town. Perfect setting for a summer romance.

A trio of estranged sisters is brought back to the last place they were together as a family, and the place that blew them apart.

Loved Conner. Great all around guy. I want to go sailing now and have picnics on deserted islands. This author is one of my favorites for contemporary Christian fiction.
Profile Image for Cathy.
587 reviews10 followers
July 14, 2019
Denise Hunter is one of my favorite authors and this book is one of her best! I totally adored the hero, Connor. He was a man's man with his piercing gray eyes, long wavy hair, great biceps....wow! But what really made him special was his great faith during tragedy, his care for the heroine's grandmother and how he sacrificed for others. Even though he and the heroine, Maddy, got off on the wrong foot, their undeniable attraction grew into great love. I also really enjoyed the story line between Maddy and her two sisters. They had been estranged for 20 years, and after secrets were revealed, healing took place. A fantastic summer read! Highly recommend!!
Profile Image for Susan.
1,110 reviews183 followers
June 29, 2019
SUMMER BY THE TIDES is the story of Maddy Monroe who has just discovered her boyfriend is a liar and a cheater and that she has lost the promotion at work to him. Then she gets a phone call saying her grandmother has gone missing. Without thinking, she jumps in the car and returns to her childhood summer house on the beach. Now she has to face her two sisters and the memories of what tore her family apart all those years ago. With the help of her grandmother’s neighbor, Connor, Maddy and her sisters search for their missing grandmother, while getting the house in order, sifting through memories and facing the secrets of the past.

SUMMER BY THE TIDES is filled with family drama, forgiveness, mystery and romance. It is also an emotional rich story, so much so that it is the best novel that I have read by Denise Hunter so far. The missing grandmother, the storm that is rolling in, reliving the past, the sisters who haven’t spoken in twenty years and the secrets that they all have, made it hard to put down. Also, the fact that the setting is the North Carolina coast was an added bonus for me.I

Oh let me tell you, Connor is going to definitely give you all the feels. That’s all I’m saying…….anyway, after some time, things between Connor and Maddie certainly heat up! But it’s also very sweet and I really wanted Maddie to open up to Connor and explain why she is the way she is. She is very guarded and Connor doesn’t think he stands a chance. Hang on people, SUMMER BY THE TIDES is an intense and crazy ride.

SUMMER BY THE TIDES is a quick read that you can easily read in one sitting and love every minute of it. It is one heck of a crazy emotional roller coaster ride. I have never met a Denise Hunter book that I didn’t love and once I started reading I knew I was going on one heck of an emotional journey! Whatever you are reading, put it down, and run and get this book! If you’ve never read a Denise Hunter novel (and you know who you are) this would be a perfect one to hook you!

I received a complimentary copy of this book. All opinions expressed are my own and were voluntarily given.

Profile Image for 100 Pages per Hour.
539 reviews4 followers
May 23, 2019
This was a beautiful book. I feel like it was the perfect combination of inspirational romance and women's fiction. Hunter's depth in all of the relationships was amazing whether they were the sisters, romantic relationships, or just family in general. I was truly amazed at how many feelings there were throughout. I found myself close to tears, laughing, and swooning at various points.

One aspect I especially liked was how important honest communication was especially between Connor and Maddy. It would have been so easy for them to gloss over the important conversations, but they didn't and it made the story that much deeper. Of course, I liked it when they stopped talking and communicated on other ways too!

The family dynamics of three siblings separated by many years was very interesting. My husband and his siblings are that way. I saw many similarities from his life. It gave the book a unique spin. I also really appreciated how forgiveness was the theme throughout. It is a common theme in Christian and inspirational fiction, but I never felt like it was the same old story. I liked the new perspective.

I enjoyed all aspects of this book but I'm still swooning from the romance. Hunter is a master of her craft!

I received an advanced copy of the book from the publisher and NetGalley. This is my honest review.
Profile Image for Cathy.
1,081 reviews56 followers
August 8, 2020
Really torn about rating this. Probably 3-3 1/2 stars . I really enjoyed this book overall. I did find Maddy to be so irritating how she assumed so much about everyone and was so wrong every time! Like girl. Learn your lesson? I also feel there was a lot of melodrama towards the end. I found the other sisters more interesting than the main character and wish they got their own story! Overall, enjoyable book. But probably forgettable soon enough.
Profile Image for Malia Saldaña.
246 reviews12 followers
September 5, 2020
Denis Hunter is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. I just love reading her books. Maddy and Connor are adorable together. I loved how Maddy’s family worked through their pain and mistakes. This is a perfect summer read,and it was so fun to read.
Profile Image for Shelby.
1,081 reviews661 followers
February 13, 2019
Maddy’s life was exactly how she wanted it. She’s assistant manager at a well-known restaurant in Charlotte, with a promotion coming her way any second. Her and her boyfriend slash coworker, Nick, have been going out for 6-months and things have been going well. But then everything crashes when she discovers her boyfriend kissing their boss and discussing taking the promotion for himself. So she leaves without a word, losing both her job and her boyfriend in an instant. So when she gets a call from her Gram’s neighbor, Connor, that Gram disappeared from her home, Maddy thinks now is a good time to get out of town and see what her Gram has been up to in Seahaven.

As it turns out, Connor called not just Maddy, but her two older sisters, Nora and Emma, to help track down their Gram. When they all get there, they’re in quite a shock to discover all 3 of them are there together. 20-years ago, a riff was formed between Nora and Emma and now even two decades later, things haven’t resolved. Their Gram has been wanting them to come clear out her beach house for years, but the granddaughters never agree to visiting together. So now that they’re there, they feel now’s a good a time as ever to get the job done. They hear from Gram and all is well, so they agree to sticking around until she returns to clean and fix up her home. But doing so without any disagreements will be a challenge. Maddy is determined to be peace-keeper and keep Nora and Emma from biting each other’s heads off.

Gram’s neighbor, Connor, is a widower and the owner of both the marina and a local restaurant, Sullivan’s Landing. When his restaurant manager has a family emergency, she leaves unexpectedly, leaving Connor in a pinch. He soon discovers that Maddy is a restaurant manager and begs for help at the Landing. Maddy’s gotten the impression that Connor is a sleezy ladies man, just like Nick. But even though she isn’t so sure about Connor, she agrees to work at the Landing. She doesn’t have a job anyway, so she has nothing to lose.

The more time her and her sisters spend together, the more Maddy realizes they all are tackling their own problems back home. None of them have a picture perfect life, even if one or all of the want to appear that they do. And Maddy also realizes that Connor is not the player that she originally thought. He’s actually kind, funny and just as damaged as she is. She misjudged him from day one and to make it up to him, she not only apologizes, but strikes up a friendship with Connor.

Maddy quickly learns that Connor is harboring romantic feelings for her and she’s fighting an inner battle of whether or not she should let herself have feeling for him back. She was burned by another man only a couple months previously and Maddy isn’t sure she’s ready to open her heart up again so quickly. But Maddy remembers that Connor has experienced a world of heartbreak himself and may understand her situation more than she realizes. Will Maddy admit to herself and Connor that she’s fallen head over heels or will she go back to Charlotte, leaving Connor as just another summer memory?

Summer by the Tides is Denise Hunter’s newest small-town romance novel. This time, the story’s set in the coastal town of Seahaven. Denise has done it yet again—she always gets me wrapped up in the characters, making me feel attached to each of them. I thoroughly enjoy Denise’s writing style, and Summer by the Tides is no exception. I’m not sure if this is a standalone or the start of a new series, but I wouldn’t mind seeing more of these characters, especially in the sunny town of Seahaven. A perfect summer, beach read, Summer by the Tides is another winner from Denise Hunter—4/5 stars.

Thank you to NetGalley, Thomas Nelson and Denise Hunter for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Madison.
1,063 reviews59 followers
April 20, 2019
Summer By The Tides is a delightful, easy to read, easy to enjoy romance. There have been many Christian contemporary titles published recently that feature broken sisterly relationships and the slow mending of these bonds, but Summer By The Tides is by far my favourite. Touching on some tough and thoughtful tones, it remains a lighthearted, sunshine filled and feel good story of love, family and fresh starts.

The day Maddy Monroe discovers her boyfriend is a lying cheater and that she has lost the promotion at work, she gets a phone call saying her grandmother has gone missing. It’s easy to jump in the car and return to her childhood summer house on the beach, harder to face her two sisters and the memories of what tore her family apart all those years ago. With the help of her grandmother’s neighbour, Connor, Maddy and her sisters search for their missing grandmother and get the house in order, sifting through memories and facing the secrets of the past.

While the synopsis for Summer By The Tides focuses on Maddy’s relationships with her sisters, the story is actually centred around the blooming romance between Maddy and Connor and Maddy’s own experiences with and beliefs about love. I really enjoyed the sweet romance that Connor and Maddy share. They certainly don’t start out as a perfect couple. Maddy is quick to judge Connor and it’s hard for Connor to see past Maddy’s harsh and judgmental facade. As they start to work together, though, they both have to re-evaluate their initial impressions and they find they actually make a pretty great couple. Both have their reasons for shying away from a relationship, Connor lost his young wife and Maddy has plenty of reason to be distrustful of men. They have their bumps and ups and downs, but their connection is hard to ignore. I loved the little moments they shared over food (Maddy’s world) or sailing (Connor’s domain). Very sweet.

Maddy’s sisters and the family as a whole have experienced some tough relationship breakdowns. Maddy ends up playing referee a lot of the time and carries her own guilt from what transpired all those summers ago. The chance to live together, work together gives the sisters the time to work through some of that painful history, current hardships and the guilt and anger that has kept them captive. Yet, Summer By The Tides retains a lighthearted and warm story, making it the perfect summer (or anytime) beach (or anywhere) read.

The publishers provided an advanced readers copy of this book for reviewing purposes. All opinions are my own.

Find more reviews, reading age guides, content advisory, and recommendations on my blog Madison's Library
Profile Image for Brittany.
2,158 reviews139 followers
May 24, 2019
If you are looking for a great summer beach story, Summer by the Tides is one I can definitely recommend. The two main characters, Maddy Monroe and Connor Sullivan, were ones I instantly cared about.

This book has it all: great beach scenery, strained relationships between three sisters, issues that must be resolved, a hint of mystery regarding the grandmother’s whereabouts, a heroine who has a problem with trust, and a handsome widower who really needs a happily-ever-after. There is truly a wonderful balance of all of these issues within the pages.

I enjoyed the flashbacks that appeared throughout the book, highlighting how and when things went wrong for this family. And the romance that was woven into the present day timeline was just perfect. I was really rooting for Connor and Maddy to have a future together. I highly recommend it!

I received a complimentary copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

You can read this review on my blog:
Profile Image for Carole Jarvis.
793 reviews42 followers
June 4, 2019
Reviewed at The Power of Words: https://bit.ly/2Z9Xj1T

With its North Carolina beach setting, Summer by the Tides couldn’t be more perfect for an entertaining summer read, but it is so much more! Denise Hunter excels at writing contemporary romances with complexity and depth. Summer by the Tides is a perfect blend of atmospheric setting, relationship drama, romance, and inspiration. While I’ve greatly enjoyed all of Hunter’s books, this is definitely a favorite.

The story opens as three sisters – Nora, Emma and Maddy – converge on their grandmother’s coastal cottage due to the fact that she has apparently gone missing, quite possibly by design. Family relationships are at the heart of this story as Nora and Emma deal with unresolved anger and unforgiveness toward the other, with Maddy attempting to be a peacemaker. And then there’s the oh-so-appealing neighbor, Connor, with whom Maddy immediately gets off on the wrong foot. I was drawn to each of these characters instantly, and the chemistry between Maddy and Connor sizzles.

Hunter’s writing is smooth and even, with the pacing just right. Flashbacks to a summer 20 years earlier when everything fell apart shed light on current-day feelings. As in life, characters erect walls and keep secrets, hiding painful realities. This story reminds us that true peace only comes through openness and honesty.

Best of all is the transformation and growth of several characters, both emotional and spiritual. I love that Hunter doesn’t shy away from faith elements, rather making them a natural part of our daily walk. And there’s a realism in the way that reconciliation is shown as a slow, gradual process.

I don’t know if this is the beginning of a series or not, but I’m certainly eager for more of these characters. Highly recommended.

I received a copy of this book through Celebrate Lit. The opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.
Profile Image for Donna.
782 reviews34 followers
May 7, 2019
Summer by the Tides by Denise Hunter is part family drama and part sweet romance.

Conner, the next door neighbor, calls all three sisters when their Grandmother is gone for several days. He is not aware that they are estranged. However it is unusual that each of the sisters doesn’t seem to mind staying to go through the house once they realize what has happened to the grandmother. Their reasons are revealed as the story progresses.

I loved how Maddy got the wrong impression of Connor from the start. That was a fun part of the story when she realizes how wrong she has been and apologizes.

The grandmother takes a secondary role but she is entertaining and you will like her. Connor and his family dynamics were also a great addition to the story.

Denise elicits all kinds of emotions from readers as the history of the sisters and their family is revealed. In addition, the women have to deal with their current issues. Denise packed this story full of drama and emotions.

I received this book from Netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review.
You can see my full review at More Than a Review dot com where I rate the level of sex, violence, language and drug/alcohol use in books.
Profile Image for Darla Damron.
330 reviews2 followers
May 27, 2019
A really fun and good book to read about family problems, forgiveness and a little romance mixed in. Once again the author did not disappoint with some secrets to figure out as well.
Profile Image for MJSH.
986 reviews40 followers
June 14, 2019
"It's not the how, Maddy. It's the Who."

Denise Hunter has an amazing ability to grab hold of your heart and imagination no matter what topic or setting she writes about. This newest release has three sisters converging on their grandmother's seaside cottage in North Carolina while they search for their grandmother who has gone MIA, and all three are broken, hurting, and insecure. There is plenty of backstory to the tension that suffocates the sisters and, though this is not a suspense novel, the pieces of the backstory that slowly come together via flashbacks had me turning the pages with anticipation. The dialogue is fun and lively, the characters are deeply layered and multi-faceted and so lovable, and the writing is easy to read. If you are a fan of contemporary romance, you will love this book.

Maddy, our heroine who has been hurt by her ex-boyfriend, is jobless, direction-less, and hopeless as she tries to figure out what happened to her grandmother. She's fun, creative, and motivated but wary of strangers and doesn't trust easily. She's also the peacemaker within the sisters and the strained relationship of her older two sisters makes things even worse as they all worry about their grandmother. Connor, the swoon-worthy neighbor next door, has also seen his share of pain and hurt and chooses to bury himself in work and helping those around him. He's the one who calls the sisters together when he realizes that his elderly neighbor is missing and he and Maddy get off on the wrong foot from the beginning. But as they spend more time together, Connor's overwhelming charm, honesty, loyalty, compassion, and steadfastness help Maddy re-evaluate her first impression. The encouraging theme of granting and accepting forgiveness as well as overcoming fear with love is prominent in the story.

Don't miss this awesome summer read! I am hoping for a Hallmark movie from this book....
I received a copy of the book from Thomas Nelson and via Celebrate Lit Tours and was under no obligation to post a positive review. All comments and opinions are solely my own.
Profile Image for Tracey.
215 reviews
January 15, 2019
I've read almost two dozen Denise Hunter books and am a big fan of her writing. My favorites have been Dancing with Fireflies and The Goodbye Bride. These two are going to have to make room on the shelf for Summer of the Tides! This story checks all the boxes for great reading, warm sunny beach setting, complex family dynamics, relatable characters and a fantastic love story with sizzling chemistry.

Maddy is the epitome of the "once burned, twice shy" idiom. Having just discovered her boyfriend's betrayal, she suspects every motive behind attractive neighbor Connor's helpfulness. Connor has suffered through his own hard times and become a stronger, more patient, faith-filled man because of it. Sisters Nora and Emma's complicated relationship provides a good deal of angst to the unfolding story of years past. Gram is nothing if not shockingly funny in her behavior and comments.

With a hurricane brewing, I couldn't help but see it as a parallel to the storm the family was facing. Everyone has secrets they hold inside to keep from being hurt. I love how Denise dealt with the issues of fear, pain, judgement and loss, and overcoming them all through love and forgiveness.

There are some great quotes in this book! Three of my favorites,
*Little sister advice-"Do you really think you're going to find a single woman your age without a little baggage? You're toting around at least a carry-on yourself. We all have issues, you know. That's just life."
*Self-sabotage-"You just make me feel so much, and I was afraid you'd break my heart. So I went ahead and broke it myself."
*Grandma wisdom-"Love's not always easy, but it's worth it. You'll never find happiness if you let fear stand in the way of what you truly desire."

I loved the epilogue and the way Hunter tied together all the details of their personal and professional lives. It's so satisfying I've reread those last few pages a good number of times. I don't know how she does it, but Hunter's writing gets better with each book. I hope this is a series and the next story we'll be reading will be Nora's!

I received a complimentary copy of Summer by the Tides from Thomas Nelson through Netgalley. Opinions expressed in my review are completely my own.
Profile Image for Jessica Baker (A Baker's Perspective).
1,107 reviews54 followers
June 5, 2019
This is a beach read must for this year! Although, if you’re like me, and there are no beaches nearby, anywhere is good 🙂 It’s got something for everyone. Great location, cute puppy, romance, family relationships, betrayal, faith and forgiveness. Not to mention a cute grandmother that has a little sneaky side to her!

I know that Hunter is a masterful romance writer. It’s one of the reasons I like her books so much. But what really captured my attention in this novel was the relationship between the three sisters. There were some laugh out loud moments, but also some serious moments that really touched my heart. Something big happened between them years ago (don’t want to spoil it) and to see how each sister acts and reacts towards the other was so interesting. To make things even more interesting, each sister is hiding something. One secret I figured out pretty quickly, but one was a total surprise (even though I suspected something). Seeing the sisters have to come together and work through their differences was really what kept my attention the most.

That’s not to say I didn’t enjoy Cooper and Maddy, because I certainly did. Their relationship was different then most. They had an honesty to them that I totally appreciated. Any time there seemed to be miscommunication, they weren’t afraid to bring it up or confront the other. In most relationships you see one of them get upset, think the wrong thing, and then they either ignore each other or fight for a period of time. I found Cooper and Maddy rather refreshing.

The bottom line is that once again, Denise Hunter brings a story that will put a smile on the face of readers, and leave them wanting more. I have never been disappointed in a book by Hunter, and this is no exception. I imagine this will be on summer to read lists all over, and rightly so!

I received a complimentary copy of this book. I was not required to write a favorable review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
2,736 reviews1,723 followers
June 6, 2019
"When I can't trust others and I can't trust myself, I can always trust God."

While there is a love story at the heart of this novel, it is surrounded by the complications and strife of family secrets. The romance is toe-curling, though it takes some time to get going....that Maddy is determined to be as ornery and wary and bitter as she can be. And she has a host of good reasons for building that prickly shell she's hiding her heart under. But, there comes a time when a girl has to let go and let God and that's the lesson Maddy has to learn on this summer sojourn.

Good Samaritan Connor is unexpectedly pulled into the Monroe sisters drama when their Gram (his neighbour) goes missing. Love this hero who sports an easy-going beach comber vibe though he's anything but. And love his relationship with his sisters. I was kinda hoping that Lexie might get her own story, but I think Summer by the Tides is a standalone. If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know!

Deep wounds have splintered the Monroe family and it isn't until secrets are shared and past wrongs forgiven that they can forge ahead in loving sister solidarity. Poignant and hopeful -- Summer by the Tides explores the many facets of love and the courage it takes to hold on during the tough times.
228 reviews
March 31, 2019
Denise Hunter does it again by writing a great summer romance! This will be a great book to read at the beach this summer (or anytime or anywhere). In this latest release by Ms. Hunter, we learn about a set of sisters- Maddy, Nora, and Emma who have a struggling relationship with each other. Both the three of them love their grandmother. Each receive a phone call that she is missing so they all arrive to discover where their grandmother could be. The phone call was from their grandmother’s neighbor, Connor. Connor tries to help the girls, but has problems of his own. Together, they work on restoring the beach house and going through their grandmother’s belongings. During their cleaning, they discover things that they never knew. During their time together at the beach house, they must learn to live together in harmony. Can they overcome the hurts of the past? As always Ms. Hunter writes another fantastic romantic book! This book examines old hurts, forgiveness, and how to move past the past. I highly recommend this book! You will not be disappointed!
***I was given a free electronic copy of this book from the publisher for an honest review. This is my honest opinion. Even though I received this copy free, I have purchased her books before.
Profile Image for Andrea.
36 reviews
March 8, 2019
“Low tide exposed the good and the bad, she supposed.”

If you need a spring break or beach read, look no further (well, unless you need more than one book). You will absolutely love this story, and it’s one of those that will stay with you (I finished it a couple of days ago and I can’t bring myself to start a new one yet). It has mysteries (yes, more than just the one you’ll know about from the synopsis), family secrets, twists and turns that you really won’t see coming, a beach setting (you will FEEL the breeze—she’s that good), well-developed, likeable characters that you’ll care about, and, of course, a beautiful love story. Maddy is such a likeable character, and you’ll pull for her through the whole story (along with her sisters and other characters as well). The beach town is almost a minor character, and her descriptions of the setting are just glorious. This book is around 300 pages—not a short book—and I still wanted more! Denise Hunter has become one of my favorite authors. There’s no need for me to read the back of the book—if she writes it, I’ll read it. I was so sad to read the last page, and I’m also sad that this is a stand-alone novel because I would happily read a book about every character that appears in this story . . . but no worries—whatever she writes next is sure to be excellent. I highly recommend this book and this author.
Profile Image for  The Flipped Page (Susan K).
1,360 reviews29 followers
May 24, 2019
Romance, clean; mild Christian faith elements
4.5 for me as a reader. Rounded up, this deserves to be widely read. Gorgeous small town, family story with a sweet, heartfelt romance. This is by far my favorite book of Denise Hunter's. She captures the misunderstandings, hurts, hearts, and moments of this family to a 'T'. The characters, setting, and the story line were honest, real, hurting, and genuine. This was a perfect read for me. With the Christian setting, so many novels deal with drastically fallen characters that have to redeem themselves, and while I get that story line, this is a novel of forgiveness and healing without the awfulness and consequences of a deep sin. (I am not judging, just commenting). This was truly every day life at its lowest, complex, but salvageable state. The problems were there, they weren't easy to fix or forgive, but they lived, they loved, and as they tried to muddle through, they were able to see the light of hope and peace through their efforts and returning to faith as well. The Christian faith elements were sweet, gentle and honest. Loved how they were included in this novel.
Along with all of this, Maddy and Connor's story, their hearts was a lovely gorgeous read. It was 'real' in the most honest sense and the characters just bled, hoped, hurt, and loved through this story. Highly recommend if you love a good romance with some forgiveness and growth in it. Perfect read for me. Again, my favorite of everything I have read of Denise Hunters'.
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
Profile Image for Joanne.
619 reviews
June 21, 2019
This is an excellent book, both in regards to the plot line and character development. I consider it Christian fiction, but it isn’t in-your-face type. The main character faces a series of challenges in her work life and especially her love life. She is not able to trust love, both as the result of being betrayed and also because of her parents’ relationship. She ends up meeting a really nice guy with his own set of baggage to carry. Add in her relationships with 2 messed up sisters. I loved it and would highly recommend it.
Profile Image for Cat B The Reader.
44 reviews50 followers
August 18, 2019
Summer by the Tides by Denise Hunter was an excellent beach read! I loved sitting by the beach or the pool reading this story! It was a story of heartbreak, love and second chances. Denise captured the story of three sisters beautifully with the main character being Maddy the baby sister. It showed how having faith in God, He can and will do miracles because He is that big and almighty! I highly recommend this book for a great summer romance and great sister-bonding book!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 444 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.