Start by marking “Romanov” as Want to Read:
Romanov

Romanov

The history books say I died.

They don’t know the half of it.

Anastasia “Nastya” Romanov was given a single mission: to smuggle an ancient spell into her suitcase on her way to exile in Siberia. It might be her family’s only salvation. But the leader of the Bolshevik army is after them . . . and he’s hunted Romanov before.

Nastya’s only chances of survival are to either relea
Published May 7th 2019 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about Romanov, please sign up.
Mary It is a standalone but she has another magical spin on history called Fawkes!
Jennifer Yes, but it's more implied that anything else.

Nadine Brandes
Jul 18, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Any ANASTASIA fans in the room?

I have been DYING to share this news with everyone! ROMANOV will be another historical fantasy standalone. And now that I'm squealing, I'm at risk of revealing spoilers (BECAUSE I'M THAT EXCITED.) For those who want a teensy more info about the book's inspiration,you can find it in my dorky YouTube announcement.
MischaS_
***Advance Review Copy generously provided through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Romanov family fascinates people for a century. Well, their end does.
And I was curious what Nadine Brandes would do with the story. And mainly how she's going to end the story, that's what I'm always curious to see.

I believe that the book had great potential. However, it seems a bit like a miss. Like the story is always the one note away for me to really enjoy. But it's still an enjoyable read, an
emma
well, i started using netgalley.

my tbr should fear me.
C.G. Drews
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was definitely the type of Anastasia retelling I have been waiting for!!! I already knew I'd love this book before I picked it up, I mean pfft have u seen Fawkes which is a magical Guy Fawkes retelling that exploded into my life and I am still thinking about a year later?!? Exactly. Nadine Brandes does the best HF retellings...but adds in magic and heartbreak and endings that cut deep, but also aren't hopeless. I love that balance. Love it.

*:·゚✧ | PLOT | *:·゚✧
If you know the history of the
Vibur
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked Romanov. Really, I did.
But.
The setting was… ho-hum. What should be descriptions of places were instead inconsequential, uninspired snippets of text. Sure, there was the whole house arrest shebang, so it'd be unfair of me to fault the setting for being as claustrophobic as it was, but I can fault the writing for being bland and undescriptive—after two hundred pages, I should have a better sketch-out of the house than just the fact that there was, uh, a couple of rooms. Oh, and stairs.
Katie  Hanna
DNF.

Please do not mistake the lengthy ramblings below for "I-read-the-whole-book-and-here-are-my-thoughts," but rather, "I-decided-not-to-continue-and-here's-why."

*deep breath* *cracks knuckles*

Romanov is a historical fantasy novel starring 16-year-old Anastasia Nikolaevna, daughter of the last Tsar of Russia. We learn within the first few pages that Anastasia, or "Nastya," aspires to become a Russian 'spell master' (i.e., practitioner of an ancient brand of magic that lets you speak special
Erin
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

From the author of Fawkes comes a magical take on the story of Anastasia Romanov.

The history books say I died.

They don’t know the half of it.

Ever since I read Fawkes, I knew I loved Nadine’s writing, and when Romanov was announced, I couldn’t be happier. As I have spend my childhood and young adult life in the Balkans, whilst travelling across Europe, I have always admired Russia, and always enjoyed reading all the theories about the Romanov fam
Jane Maree
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
ROMANOV is a raw, real story, full of pain and hurt. But it's beautiful. It's full of love and light and courage. Courage to hope beyond the hopeless. It's the kind of story you don't just walk away from unchanged.

I was blown away by the characters. Every single person who appears on the page, even if they're only there for a few chapters, has a heart and a story and a reason. They're like living, breathing humans.

I loved the relationships between the Romanov family. The sister telepathy, the fa
Candace Robinson
This was an interesting read, while getting to know more about the Romanov family. The book is beautifully written with a family bond. I just think historical fantasy/fiction isn’t my favorite genre!
Zainab
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don't understand why none of y'all are reading this book at this very moment. Honestly just drop whatever you're reading because I assure you it's not half as good as this book.
I'm sure most of you are familiar with the*Disney* version of Anastasia. I don't really care for it because I find the true story much better. (Please look it up if you don't know)
Anyway, this is a retelling of Anastasia (as if it wasn't clear) It involves spells and stuff and feels like a better nicer version of the ac
Xandra (StarrySkyBooks)
Feb 11, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: arcs
The book spirits have granted me access to an eARC! and I am!! so happy!!
Serethiel ☽ ✨
Jul 04, 2018 is currently reading it
HELLO YES I NEED THIS NOW NADINE IS BASICALLY THE BEST AND OH MY WORD AN ANASTASIA RETELLING???? *all the heart-eyes*
R.F. Gammon
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Let no one ever call you tame."

THIS WAS FANTASTIC. I don't think it tops Nadine's Out of Time series (because that one truly is just the most fantastic thing ever), but it's still so, so, so good.

Anastasia (or Nastya, as she is called in this book), was the feisty and strong-willed heroine we're all tired of--except she wasn't! She was so complex, and her drive to protect her family was beautiful. She was mischievous. She cared about people. She truly struggled with her desire to love people,
Luupi "The Reading Queen"
Oct 18, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2019-releases, arcs
29/10/18 I got an ARC of it!!!! :D I'm sooo excited
description

18/10/18 It's fantasy, it's about the romanovs and it has a gorgeous cover. I'm sold <3
Abigail
My copy of Romanov just came in the mail!!!!!😍😍😍 I also got a $100 wine voucher......I am praying that this book isn't too depressing!
nadia (( disquieting thing ))
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Thomas Nelson through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

lots of spoilers ahead, everything is a spoiler, even if you are familiar with the historical events, spoilers spoilers spoilers !!!!

“You find joy in so many little things. For once... I want to see joy find you. Surprise you. You deserve it.”

and i deserve joy, too! i deserve to love a fantasy novel about the time period that i am so passionate about, right?
Lili  Marcus
I’m not that familiar with Russian history but I have heard of Anastasia Romanov and I really want to read a book about her. That’s the first reason why I requested this the moment I saw it on Netgalley. Second, God I love the cover. It really is so beautiful and gorgeous. Just so pretty.

(Please note that I am talking about the fictional book I read, not the real history. I will never comment on a history I’m not familiar with.)

Anyway, let’s get on with stuff that matters more in the book. First
Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com)
RELEASE DAY!

Full review found at Grumpy Book Grrrl.

Release date: May 7, 2019

Thank you Netgalley and publisher for a digital copy to read and review.
m a r y l i z
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
*deep breath*

O K A Y.

I wanted to fall in love with this book. I really did.

But . . . to be perfectly honest, I never connected that much to it.

L I K E S:

- Family bonds! All the close relationships among the Romanovs were lovely. It was evident that they loved each other dearly and would die for each other in an instant. I always adore a good family relationship, yes I do.

-The concept. Anastasia happens to be my FAVORITE Broadway musical, so the concept of an Anastasia retelling?? TAKE MY MONEY.
Noa ☾
ARC provided through Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review

Where do I even start ? I was really excited to get into this story because Russia + Magic + Anastasia… It just had me, you know ? The plot was very promising but the execution was REALLY bad.

🌺 The magic system : if you asked me to explain the magic in this book, I… can’t. I’m still confused because if I happened to be some spell master and I discovered that the only thing I can use is some spell ink that’s basically useless, I’d
Faith (BookSelf ~ You Are What You Read)
I received this eARC from Thomas Nelson (publishers) via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of this book in any way. All quotes are taken from the uncorrected proof and are subject to change.

No one could outshout a revolution.

This felt like a bad flashback to when I tried to read an ARC of Dark of the West and could only make it a few chapters in, only this time, I could only make it about 1 chapter and then only barely.

DNF at 7%

My biggest issue with this
Melissa Tagg
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Whoa. Whooooooaaaa. 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

I have not been this googley-eyed over a book in quite awhile. I don't even often read YA books...or fantasies! BUT I could not resist the premise of this one. I've been fascinated by Russian history since fourth grade and am always so intrigued by anything relating to the Romanovs...especially (of course!) Anastasia.

And oh my goodness, I loooooved this book. I read it in less than 24 hours...I actually stayed up late last night reading, which, anymore is a me
Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends)
description
description The first 30% of this book was fantastic. It sucked me into the story. It intrigued me. Then from 30%-60% It lost steam. It bored me. It felt repetitive. I tired of reading about the same things. The windows. The food. The guards. The (maybe or maybe not) rescue. I came close to throwing in the towel. However, at 60% the story picked up again. In fact, from 60% onwards the story moves at the speed of light which left me wishing we had gotten less page space devoted to them being prisoners and m
ABCme
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Did Anastasia survive? It's the question of most books on the Romanovs. Here is yet another one, but it has a unique take on this intriguing part in history.

The book opens with the most beautiful dedication and introduction. I'm drawn in from the start. And please do judge this book by its gorgeous cover!

Ipaniev House, the Romanov family in captivity, we all know it doesn't end well.
The writing is fast, the story captivating, I can't put it down.
But the event as we know it is unavoidable and so
Tana △⃒⃘ ⚯͛ Cozyreadings
13/03/2019
Soooooo after thinking about this for a while, and after reading This eye opening review I have decided to lower my rating to a 3.75 instead of a 5 stars.
After giving it some more time, I realized that I didn't love it as much as I thought immediatly after finishing this book.

(I need to learn to write reviews a few days after finishing books)

25/01/2019

Title: Romanov
Author: Nadine Brandes
Genre: Historical Fiction, Re-telling
Publication date: May 7, 2019

I understand that a lot of people are quiet on the fence about re-tellings but I LOVE a good re-telling. I love the imagination and creativity it takes to be able to wield and capture an audience and entice them into making them fall in love with a story that they already know and love or in some cases know and hate. hahaha.

So, it's suffice to say that I am always on the lookout for a re-tel
Gabrielle
Nadine Brandes is one of my favorite authors. Period. So I will read just about anything she writes, even if it's not my favorite concept or genre. (I don't mind historical fiction--much less historical fantasy--but it's not my favorite, so keep that in mind with both my reviews of Fawkes and now, Romanov.)

To be honest, I liked Fawkes a lot more than I liked Romanov, even though I loooove Russian history, especially this time period. I think what really got me with Romanov was that it was so...d
Emma
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it

Full review here

I was immediately drawn to this book because I’ve always been fascinated with the Romanov dynasty (we can all blame the animated movie for this, I still have dreams about Dimitri you guys) and also the mystery that for a lot of years surrounded the fate of Anastasia and Alexei.

I liked how this book talked about the Romanov family and you can clearly see that the author di
Gaby (lookingatbooks)
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Arc kindly provided by the publisher via Edelweiss

This was one of my most anticipated 2019 reads. Anastasia retellings are all the rage this year and I had never read one before Romanov. I was interested to read something historically accurate before the fantasy retellings. Unfortunately, this is not what I thought it was.

Romanov is a historical fantasy, heavy on the historical part, retelling about the Romanov family and their downfall from leadership to being imprisoned by the new establishme
The Procrastinato...: Romanov (May 2019) - Steph 25 22 13 hours, 45 min ago
YA Buddy Readers'...: Romanov by Nadine Brandes - Starting May 18th 2019 31 17 Mar 23, 2019 02:20PM
Goodreads Librari...: please add cover 1 13 Sep 26, 2018 09:52AM

• The Beckoning Shadow (The Beckoning Shadow, #1)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • Never-Contented Things
  • Spectacle (Spectacle, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Kingdom of Back
  • Sky Without Stars (System Divine, #1)
  • The Midnight Lie
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • The Lady Rogue
  • Dark Shores (Dark Shores, #1)
  • To Best the Boys
  • The Beholder
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Descendant of the Crane
  • A Court of Miracles (A Court of Miracles, #1)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
Nadine once spent four days as a sea cook in the name of book research. She's the author of FAWKES and of the award-winning The Out of Time Series. Her inner fangirl perks up at the mention of soul-talk, Quidditch, bookstagram, and Oreos. When she's not busy writing novels about bold living, she's adventuring through Middle Earth or taste-testing a new chai. Nadine and her Auror husband are buildi ...more
“No amount of age, pride, or maturity could stop me from loving my papa with the heart of a little girl.” 4 likes
“Why won't you die?"
"because I have a story I was meant to live. And not even you can unwrite it.”
3 likes