Start by marking “The Promise” as Want to Read:
The Promise

The Promise

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  9,604 ratings  ·  922 reviews

The chilling new psychological thriller from the #1 bestselling author of I Am Watching You.

Thirty years later, Beth and Sally have tried to put the trauma behind them. Though Carol has distanced herself from her former friends, the three are adamant

Published February 7th 2019 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about The Promise, please sign up.
Kathleen I thought it was excellent with far more depth than the average psychological suspense novel. I couldn’t disagree more with it being “horrid.”

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Promise
Michelle
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
I read a lot of psychological thrillers, it's my favorite genre, but after reading so many it really becomes harder to impress me. That is the case with The Promise.

Initially I was intrigued at the beginning:

"They sit very still in this room full of blood and sorrow - girls whose pulses burst in their veins and boom inside their ears. Their heads. Somewhere a clock ticks. A bird calls....

Three girls. One dead."

An intro like that will pique my interest every single time and I had all sorts
marilyn
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it
The Promise follows Beth, Sally, and Carol as they meet at a Catholic boarding school and become best friends. Something bad takes place when the girls are fourteen and they each make a promise to never reveal what happened and the parts they played in this traumatic event. This memory and holding in the secret of what happened tortures the girls throughout their lives. When they are 38, their old boarding school grounds are going to be torn apart, with the chance of their secret being revealed. ...more
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: 'I think I put my hand over her mouth. . .'

'Don't say that. Don't even think that. You wouldn't have done that.'

They sit very still in this room of blood and sorrow - girls whose pulses burst in their veins and boom inside their ears. Their heads. Somewhere a clock ticks. A bird calls. . .

Three girls. One dead.

ABOUT THIS BOOK: It was their darkest secret. Three schoolgirls made a promise – to take the horrible truth of what they did to the grave.

Thirty years later, Beth and Sally have
Louise Wilson
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Three schoolgirls make a promise - to take the horrible truth of what they did to the grave. For thirty years Sally and Beth have tried to put the trauma behind them, even though Carol, the third girl, has distanced herself from her former friends. Something had happened at the boarding school that was run by nuns. Now the former boarding school has been scheduled for demolition. The news has the girls scared and nervous.Sally and Beth hire Matthew, a Private Detective, to try and find Carol. Wi ...more
Bharath
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
I had read Teresa Driscoll’s “I am Watching You”, “The Friend”, and “I Will Make You Pay” and really liked them. They packed a good story, were well written and had good pace. At the outset let me say that I found “The Promise” disappointing. The story is weak or at least inadequate and the book does not hold you.

Beth, Sally & Carol are friends since school. There is a dark secret they have promised each other will stay with them forever. While Beth & Sally have been in touch, Carol has moved co
Toni
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, 2019
The Promise is a psychological thriller with the story that revolves around three teenage girls making a promise to keep a dark secret for all their lives. Now many years after the event their school is about to be closed and demolished, two of them, Beth and Sally, would like to find the third one, Carol, to make sure the secret is not about to be revealed in a horrible unexpected manner. The author mastefully builds psychological tension in the first half of the book as we keep guessing what t ...more
Jayme
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“The candles. The Promise. The bluebells....”

Something happened at the boarding school run by nuns.

And, now that the school is scheduled to be demolished, a secret may be revealed. It’s the secret that three fourteen year old girls vowed that they would take to their graves. It’s the secret that ended up severing the tight bond that Beth, Sally and Carol once shared when they were students at the school, thirty years ago.

Beth and Sally are still close. But they have been estranged from Carol
Amanda
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I love it when you haven’t read a book from an author you really like for a while, then you discover they have a new book out. You are so excited you want real life to stop for a while so that you can enjoy this without being interrupted!!

When Beth, Sally and Carole meet at a Convent boarding school they become the best of friends, although something bad happens, they keep this secret between themselves for years to come. This will affect the rest of their lives in different ways and will foreve
Selena
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a free e-copy of The Promise by Teresa Driscoll from NetGalley for my honest review.

Three friends, Beth, Sally, and Carol met at a Catholic boarding school. They formed a special bond. Their bond, however is set by a deep and dark secret that has haunted them throughout their lives. A secret they all swore to take to their graves.

Many years later, the girls get news that their former school is going to be demolished. Now they are in fear that their secret, long ago, will be discovere
Jenny
Jul 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A promise is your word. A promise is a vow. A promise is binding. A promise is an agreement to do that which is difficult. We promise to attend a ballet recital for 6 year olds. We do promise to eat the entire quart of Rocky Road ice cream.
Teresa Driscoll writes about The Promise that three boarding school teenagers pledge to each other. Beth, Sally and Carol promise to keep a deep dark secret for their entire lives, regardless of the consequences.
Years pass. Beth and Sally remained close but Ca
Mackey
Three girls held a deep, dark secret. Three girls made a promise they vowed to keep forever. Now something and someone is threatening that promise. Will the truth come out or will these women do anything possible to keep their secret hidden forever?

I am a huge Teresa Driscoll fan and have previously rated her books very highly. The Promise is a slow burning psychological suspense novel – not a thriller – but a book filled with plenty of atmospheric drama. The book begins when the three women are
Pauline
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Promise by Teresa Driscoll is a slow building tale of three friends who find out that the boarding school where they met when they were children is about to be closed and demolished. This puts them all into a panic because of a terrible incident that they have all kept hidden for many years and promised never to reveal.
I would like to thank NetGalley and Amazon Publishing for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Jenny
Jul 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Years pass. Beth and Sally remained close but Ca
Julie Parks
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
This is a good - not exactly original but still, good - story told in a very tricky way that I'm not sure will work for many readers.

My first feeling was that the narrators in this book are having their own secret world, as opposed to the usual feeling when you as a reader are let into the narrator's head exclusively and your biggest excitement comes from waiting with great anticipation to see what other narrators and/or characters will do when they finally discover what you already know.

It is m
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
A dark character study of the impact a promise made long ago has on the lives of three women. Teresa Driscoll’s The Promise is more of a suspense novel than psychological thriller, but with some fascinating secrets that await being revealed!

About the Book

Thirty years later, Beth and Sa
Jayme
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
The candles. The Promise. The bluebells....”

Something happened at the boarding school run by nuns.

Beth and Sally are still close. But they have been estranged from Carol f
Mandy White
Dec 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley
The Promise by Teresa Driscoll was a quick read for me. The story was a bit slow to begin with and I found the ending to be quite rushed. So much happened and quickly in the last 30% or so. It was a good story that has you wanting to know what has happened and who knows.

3 school friends - Carol, Beth and Sally did something horrible at boarding school. Something that they will never speak about again - the secret they promise to take to their graves. But the news that their former school is bein
Maureen
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review to come very soon. I enjoyed this book very much and so glad I have more of her books on kindle.
Fee (Ebook Addicts)
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Promise follows Beth, Sally, and Carol, they meet at a Catholic boarding school and become best friends, the story switched between the time they spent at boarding school and the present day. With the impending school reunion looming over their heads and finding out their old boarding school grounds are going to be torn apart, it becomes clears that a secret may be about to be discovered.

Something happened when the girls were just 14 years old and they each made a promise never to tell anyo
Adele Shea
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Teresa Driscoll has done it again with another brilliant book.
Boarding school brings together three girls and from the first day they strike up a bond that is unbreakable. Or is it?
Beth, Sally and Carol are not only close during term time, they spend holidays together too. That is until they turn 14 and their lives are turned upside down. Things are never the same again but they must never speak about what happened all those years ago.
How long can they keep The Promise?
Arybo ✨
Not impressed at all.

I believed in this book. I hoped it would be better than the books by Ruth Ware, even though the promises were very similar to those of her books. Yet... It was a disaster. There is no suspense, there is no mystery, the characters seem to be thin as tissue paper, they are iterated and unbelievable, they seem stereotypical. The revelations are ridiculously silly and unsensorial, there is no pathos and there is no fear. Missing all the features of a good mystery, you can not e
Kat Dietrich

The Promise by Teresa Driscoll is a psychological thriller

First, let me thank NetGalley, the publisher Thomas & Mercer, and of course the author, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

My Synopsis:
Due to fewer nuns entering the order, and less students enrolling in the school, The Order of St. Colman is moving to a smaller site. The existing buildings will be demolished, and the site sold and re-developed.

Beth and Sally me
 Li'l Owl
**Now Available — February 7, 2019**
Five thrilling ★★★★★'s

**‘I think I put my hand over her mouth . . .
’‘Don’t say that. Don’t even think that. You wouldn’t have done that.’
They sit very still in this room full of blood and sorrow – girls whose pulses burst in their veins and boom inside their ears. Their heads. Somewhere a clock ticks. A bird calls . . .
Three girls. One dead. She looks up at the mirror to see her reflection, face white and terrible – just below it, the line of shells on the b
Bridgett
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
Underwhelming? Anti-climatic? -- A big whopping yes to both.

If you're looking for a psychological suspense, The Promise isn't the book for you. I'd say it's more of a domestic fiction. Mostly though, it's just dull.

The book begins with some serious potential:

"Three girls. One dead. She looks at the other girl -lips blue- and all of the blood, and she realizes the happiness on the beach was just a trick."

These words made it appear we were sitting on the cusp of a deeply dark, deeply dist
Amy
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-netgalley
**2-2.5 Stars **
Expected Publication: February 7th, 2019

Unpopular opinion alert...I'm SORRY!! I wanted to like this so much, but it was such a slow burn that by the time something actually happened, my mind was made up that I just didn't really care. Three girls from boarding school make a "promise" to never discuss something tragic and throughout 60-70% of this book it just keeps referencing it without any details. Then the last 30% of this read, things get cray cray which did redeem it. I did
Chloe
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Three friends Carol , Beth and Sally went through something horrible at boarding school and they promised each other to never talk about it again. In the present day, all three girls have gone their separate ways until they hear, that their old boarding school is being demolished and they fear that secret from their past, will come out. On top of that there is also someone watching them who wants them to leave things alone.

The Promise by Teresa Driscoll is a slow paced psychological thriller.
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was really good. I liked the friendship between Beth, Sally and Carol. It had a lot of twists and turns and some that really shocked me. It was a story of friendship, love and heartbreak. I really felt for Carol especially after all she had been through. Some of the story was so sad but I’m glad it had a good ending. It definitely makes you think after reading it. It’s a book that will stay with you for a long time. Bar a few of them I liked most of the characters. They were ...more
Alaina
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Promise was an okay kind of thriller book. At first, I was super into it but then everything just kind of felt like it was dragging along. It made the book a bit boring and I sort of lost interest in trying to solve the whole mystery.

Now at this point in a book, I would totally break out the wine. However, I was kind of sick when I was reading this (and other ARC's) so yeah.. no alcohol was consumed while reading this b
Debbie lost in a world of books. Book worm Niman
Well it was a slow burner to start with, having said that it did hook me in. Seriously didn’t expect what happened. Give it a read you won’t be disappointed
Katie
I keep hearing great things about author Teresa Driscoll so I was excited to read her newest psychological suspense thriller The Promise as an advanced reading copy from NetGalley. I am a sucker for books about friends with a secret from their school days. This idea has been done a lot but she has a bit of a fresh take on it with the secret these Catholics boarding school girls have kept for many years. Now, their school is about to be torn down and developed so their secret may be revealed. The ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Please add page count ASIN B07LB4PJNY 2 7 Aug 13, 2019 12:41AM
Goodreads Librari...: Cover Image Missing 2 14 Oct 01, 2018 07:28AM

• The Other Wife
  • The Perfect Child
  • Here To Stay
  • What You Did
  • The House Guest
  • When She Returned
  • The Apartment
  • The Shape of Lies (DCI Tom Douglas, #8)
  • The Secret Child (DI Amy Winter, #2)
  • Right Behind You (DCI Tom Douglas, #9)
  • In Her Shadow
  • The Woman in Our House
  • The Perfect Life
  • Last of the Magpies (Magpies, #3)
  • 4 Riverside Close
  • Appetite for Innocence
  • The Perfect Mother
  • The Guest: A psychological thriller with a shocking twist
Teresa Driscoll - a former BBC TV news presenter- is now an international #1 bestselling author. Her debut psychological suspense I AM WATCHING YOU hit Number One on Kindle in the UK, USA and Australia and sold more than half a million copies in its first year. Her second thriller THE FRIEND was also Kindle #1 in the UK and Australia and a top #10 bestseller in the USA.
Teresa also writes women's