Start by marking “The Promise” as Want to Read:
The Promise

The Promise

The chilling new psychological thriller from the #1 bestselling author of I Am Watching You.

It was their darkest secret. Three schoolgirls made a promise – to take the horrible truth of what they did to the grave.

Thirty years later, Beth and Sally have tried to put the trauma behind them. Though Carol has distanced herself from her former friends, the three are adamant t

Published February 7th 2019 by Thomas & Mercer

Michelle
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
I read a lot of psychological thrillers, it's my favorite genre, but after reading so many it really becomes harder to impress me. That is the case with The Promise.

Initially I was intrigued at the beginning:

"They sit very still in this room full of blood and sorrow - girls whose pulses burst in their veins and boom inside their ears. Their heads. Somewhere a clock ticks. A bird calls....

Three girls. One dead."

An intro like that will pique my interest every single time and I had all sorts of
marilyn
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it
The Promise follows Beth, Sally, and Carol as they meet at a Catholic boarding school and become best friends. Something bad takes place when the girls are fourteen and they each make a promise to never reveal what happened and the parts they played in this traumatic event. This memory and holding in the secret of what happened tortures the girls throughout their lives. When they are 38, their old boarding school grounds are going to be torn apart, with the chance of their secret being revealed. ...more
Louise Wilson
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Three schoolgirls make a promise - to take the horrible truth of what they did to the grave. For thirty years Sally and Beth have tried to put the trauma behind them, even though Carol, the third girl, has distanced herself from her former friends. Something had happened at the boarding school that was run by nuns. Now the former boarding school has been scheduled for demolition. The news has the girls scared and nervous.Sally and Beth hire Matthew, a Private Detective, to try and find Carol. Wi ...more
Selena
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a free e-copy of The Promise by Teresa Driscoll from NetGalley for my honest review.

Three friends, Beth, Sally, and Carol met at a Catholic boarding school. They formed a special bond. Their bond, however is set by a deep and dark secret that has haunted them throughout their lives. A secret they all swore to take to their graves.

Many years later, the girls get news that their former school is going to be demolished. Now they are in fear that their secret, long ago, will be discovere
Jayme
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“The candles. The Promise. The bluebells....”

Something happened at the boarding school run by nuns.

And, now that the school is scheduled to be demolished, a secret may be revealed. It’s the secret that three fourteen year old girls vowed that they would take to their graves. It’s the secret that ended up severing the tight bond that Beth, Sally and Carol once shared when they were students at the school, thirty years ago.

Beth and Sally are still close. But they have been estranged from Carol
Pauline
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Promise by Teresa Driscoll is a slow building tale of three friends who find out that the boarding school where they met when they were children is about to be closed and demolished. This puts them all into a panic because of a terrible incident that they have all kept hidden for many years and promised never to reveal.
I would like to thank NetGalley and Amazon Publishing for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Mackey
Three girls held a deep, dark secret. Three girls made a promise they vowed to keep forever. Now something and someone is threatening that promise. Will the truth come out or will these women do anything possible to keep their secret hidden forever?

I am a huge Teresa Driscoll fan and have previously rated her books very highly. The Promise is a slow burning psychological suspense novel – not a thriller – but a book filled with plenty of atmospheric drama. The book begins when the three women are
Amanda
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I love it when you haven’t read a book from an author you really like for a while, then you discover they have a new book out. You are so excited you want real life to stop for a while so that you can enjoy this without being interrupted!!

When Beth, Sally and Carole meet at a Convent boarding school they become the best of friends, although something bad happens, they keep this secret between themselves for years to come. This will affect the rest of their lives in different ways and will foreve
Jayme
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
The candles. The Promise. The bluebells....”

Something happened at the boarding school run by nuns.

Beth and Sally are still close. But they have been estranged from Carol f
Mandy White
Dec 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley
The Promise by Teresa Driscoll was a quick read for me. The story was a bit slow to begin with and I found the ending to be quite rushed. So much happened and quickly in the last 30% or so. It was a good story that has you wanting to know what has happened and who knows.

3 school friends - Carol, Beth and Sally did something horrible at boarding school. Something that they will never speak about again - the secret they promise to take to their graves. But the news that their former school is bein
Adele Shea
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Teresa Driscoll has done it again with another brilliant book.
Boarding school brings together three girls and from the first day they strike up a bond that is unbreakable. Or is it?
Beth, Sally and Carol are not only close during term time, they spend holidays together too. That is until they turn 14 and their lives are turned upside down. Things are never the same again but they must never speak about what happened all those years ago.
How long can they keep The Promise?
Chloe
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Three friends Carol , Beth and Sally went through something horrible at boarding school and they promised each other to never talk about it again. In the present day, all three girls have gone their separate ways until they hear, that their old boarding school is being demolished and they fear that secret from their past, will come out. On top of that there is also someone watching them who wants them to leave things alone.

The Promise by Teresa Driscoll is a slow paced psychological thriller.
Katie
I keep hearing great things about author Teresa Driscoll so I was excited to read her newest psychological suspense thriller The Promise as an advanced reading copy from NetGalley. I am a sucker for books about friends with a secret from their school days. This idea has been done a lot but she has a bit of a fresh take on it with the secret these Catholics boarding school girls have kept for many years. Now, their school is about to be torn down and developed so their secret may be revealed. The ...more
Amy-GallivantingPages
**2-2.5 Stars **
Expected Publication: February 7th, 2019

Unpopular opinion alert...I'm SORRY!! I wanted to like this so much, but it was such a slow burn that by the time something actually happened, my mind was made up that I just didn't really care. Three girls from boarding school make a "promise" to never discuss something tragic and throughout 60-70% of this book it just keeps referencing it without any details. Then the last 30% of this read, things get cray cray which did redeem it. I did
The Cats Mother
The Promise is a well written English psychological suspense novel about what happens when long-buried secrets and mistakes haunt the present. So why only 3 stars? I’m getting a little tired of being dragged through a slow first half by a heavily sign-posted secret, ensuring I’ll keep reading, but this trend leaves me feeling resentful and manipulated. I also didn’t like any of the characters and while the reveal largely explains and excuses their actions, by then it was a bit late. I would thin ...more
 Li'l Owl
**Now Available — February 7, 2019**
Five thrilling ★★★★★'s

**‘I think I put my hand over her mouth . . .
’‘Don’t say that. Don’t even think that. You wouldn’t have done that.’
They sit very still in this room full of blood and sorrow – girls whose pulses burst in their veins and boom inside their ears. Their heads. Somewhere a clock ticks. A bird calls . . .
Three girls. One dead. She looks up at the mirror to see her reflection, face white and terrible – just below it, the line of shells on the b
ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
There are seconds between one whole path in your life and a different one. A split-second choice. Do it. Or don’t.

This was a carefully crafted, exquisite gem of a book. Of course I was expecting a twist, you read enough of this type of thriller and you KNOW one is coming, but I liked how the revelations came out and found the book to have a satisfying conclusion.

The tension is built up in a way that you needed to keep reading. The writing is excellent and I got attached to the characters imme
Melissa In The City 🥂
ALL THE STARS!
This was everything I need, want and love in a book. Deception, lies, a mysterious death, promises...
I’ve said in many of my reviews, I LOVE a book that has grown characters that suddenly face broken promises that they had as kids. Hiding lies and something very bad from childhood. It.Never.Ends.Well.
This book was beautifully written and full of thrill! I love how we were made to think one thing....then boom! Twist!
So many twists! I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough! The settin
michelle
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
The Promise by Teresa Driscoll is about three friends Carol, Beth and Sally. When at boarding school, something terrible happened between them and they promised each other never to talk about it again.
Present day, all three girls have gone their separate ways until they hear, that their old boarding school is being re-developed and there is a party, to honour the school and the girls who attended it. But they are all panicking as the secret from their past, will come out. Also, someone is watch
Jenna Bookish
My thanks to NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for sending me an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own and are not influenced by the publisher.

Teresa Driscoll first came onto my radar last year when I read I Am Watching You with my book club. While I wasn't a huge fan of the ending of that novel, I did find it an overall really enjoyable reading experience, so I was quick to request a copy of The Promise when I saw it on NetGalley. The basic premise of the s
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book reviews on www.snazzybooks.com

The Promise is a fun, fast and entertaining read which is a great blend of interesting, well-developed characters and enough suspense to keep me interested without it solely focusing on what happened to Beth, Sally and Carol all those years ago.

The story is quite believable and not too ‘out there’. It didn’t sacrifice realism for BIG surprises or dramatic occurrences. It’s not as dark a read as I expected, but I didn’t mind – it felt more focused on family dra
Lori
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Teresa Driscoll has written an intriguing novel about three friends and the secret they have kept for three decades…The Promise, the title so fitting to this story, is about three young girls, Beth, Sally, and Carol, who met at a boarding school and became best friends and when the most innocent of events occur, their lives are changed forever and as a result, a promise that was made.

The Promise is not your typical psychological suspense thriller. This book takes its time to build each characte
Clare

With thanks to Netgalley and Thomas and Mercer for this ARC in exchange for an open and honest review.

The Promise is about three school friends Beth, Sally and Carol. At the age of 14 tragedy struck one of the girls during the Easter holidays. Scared to tell their parents the three girls make a promise not to tell.

In the present day Beth and Sally receive a letter to say their catholic boarding school is due to close. Beth and Sally have tried to forget the tragedy and are reluctant to go. Carol
Authentikate
This book tells the story about a group of three young girls (Beth, Sal, and Carol) who—while away at boarding school—make a promise to each other to keep a secret. The secret is kept through adulthood but when their boarding school is to be demolished, they’re faced with the realization their secret could be uncovered.

Told through three perspectives that flash back to childhood then back again, the story is very slow to build. It’s neither mystery nor thriller but rather a character yarn about
Amanda
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Sandra Leivesley
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Three friends, Beth, Sally and Carol meet at boarding school but while they are there something terrible happens and they make a promise never to tell anyone what happened. But the boarding school is about to be demolished and Beth and Sally have lost touch with Carol, and feel they must find her in case their secret is discovered. So they hire Matthew, an ex-cop private detective.

The story, past and present, is told mainly from Beth's perspective, interspersed with that of Matthew and Carol, an
Joyce
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Four and a half stars, raised to a five. This is the story of Beth, Sally and Carol. The three of them attended boarding school together and roomed with each other during their entire stay. While there, an event occurred that they hid and never discussed again. This promise completely effected and affected their adult lives. Carol has detached herself from the other two and lives in France with her partner, Ned. Sally is divorced and childless and is developing a property. Beth is married to Ada ...more
Nancy
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it
A psychological thriller that wasn’t very thrilling. I was disappointed. A good psychological thriller keeps me on the edge of my seat and keeps me guessing throughout. This book did neither of those things. The reason for the promise was easy enough to figure out and the few little surprises at the end were just meh. Too little, too late. I received a copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Keirstin Smith (CloudOfThoughts)
The Promise by author Teresa Driscoll is an intense, fast paced thriller. Full of twists and turns, it is the story of three friends who vowed to take their darkest secret to the grave with them. As you can imagine, that secret is threatened to surface. Characters were developed well and the plot structure was good. A great book!
Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for an arc copy of The Promise in exchange for an honest review.
Caroline Mitchell
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: women-s-fiction
"Every spring when I watch the petals lost to the wind, I think of the fragility of our dreams."

The Promise by Teresa Driscoll centres around three friends, a promise made decades before, and their relationships, past and present. The author's writing is very distinctive and she writes in such a lovely style as she brings her characters to life. You get to know them so well, they are living, breathing people you root for from very early on.

"How cruel would it be? To dust a person with the magic
Goodreads Librari...: Cover Image Missing 2 13 Oct 01, 2018 07:28AM
  • The Better Sister
  • Someone Knows
  • I'll Be Watching You
  • The Arrangement
  • Killer Thriller (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #2)
  • A Killer's Alibi (Philadelphia Legal #3)
Teresa Driscoll - a former BBC TV news presenter- is now an international #1 bestselling author. Her debut psychological suspense I AM WATCHING YOU hit Number One on Kindle in the UK, USA and Australia and sold more than half a million copies in its first year. Her second thriller THE FRIEND was also Kindle #1 in the UK and Australia and a top #10 bestseller in the USA.
Teresa also writes women's