Start by marking “Lovely War” as Want to Read:
Lovely War

Lovely War

A sweeping, multi-layered romance with a divine twist, by the Printz Honor-winning author of The Passion of Dolssa, set in the perilous days of World Wars I and II.

It's 1917, and World War I is at its zenith when Hazel and James first catch sight of each other at a London party. She's a shy and talented pianist; he's a newly minted soldier with dreams of becoming an archit
Audio CD
Published March 5th 2019 by Listening Library

To ask other readers questions about Lovely War, please sign up.
Sharla Kinman I am a JH literature teacher, and I would approve. I think the Point of View shared through some of the "gods" is a fun twist. The characters are…moreI am a JH literature teacher, and I would approve. I think the Point of View shared through some of the "gods" is a fun twist. The characters are wonderfully developed alongside actual history with references to some influential music of the time. The language is very mild, and there is no promiscuity. The toughest part is the horrors of war, and some of the details are disturbing. BUT, a wonderfully crafted story woven with themes of self-sacrifice, friendship, commitment, and love for others above oneself. (less)

Chaima ✨ شيماء
[me, screaming from an oversized megaphone] NOT TO DICTATE ANYONE'S LIFE BUT THIS BOOK BRAIDS TOGETHER TWO LOVE STORIES SET IN WWI AND IT'S NARRATED BY GREEK GODS AND YOU GUYS NEED TO ADD IT TO YOUR TBR
Julie
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I love this book desperately. I did write it, so the possibility of bias is real. :) I can't wait to share it with the world. The year-plus I spent researching, writing, and revising it was intense, and harrowing at times, but I'm thrilled with where we landed. Here's hoping you enjoy it, too.

Hazel, a pianist, and James, a builder-turned-soldier, meet at a London dance in late 1917, on the eve of his departure for the trenches of World War I. Aubrey, a Harlem ragtime musician, and Colette, a Be
An unbelievably charming book. The sections with the Greek gods are pitched for a YA audience, but the rest of the book straddles YA and Adult beautifully, telling a story that’s warm and tense and lovingly crafted. At times not even my cold, cold heart could keep me from sighing. Highly recommended.
Jennie Damron
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm blown away by how amazing this book truly is. It's more than a romance, more than a war book, more than racial division. This book is everything and the writing was done with such grace, compassion, anger, and love. The characters even the side characters, I loved them all and felt for them deeply. This book had me laughing, feeling giddy, heartbroken and weeping, also felt such love and sympathy for the time and people the Great War affected. I learned so much more about this war than any s ...more
Kate Quinn
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Julie Berry pens an utter delight in LOVELY WAR, an effervescent confection of a novel filled with humor, tragedy, romance, and myth. Four lovers meet in the chaos and terror of World War I--a shy English pianist, a gentle architect turned sharpshooter, a French singer scarred by German atrocities, and a brash musician bound for one of the all-African-American regiments heading overseas. Hovering over this love-struck war-bound quartet is the goddess of love herself, trying to ensure them happy ...more
Lena
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A friend read this book before me and told me how much she loved it so I knew I had to get it, too.

Lovely War is a YA historical fiction novel set during World War I and told from the perspectives of various Greek gods, Aphrodite, the goddess of love, among them. The book focuses on two couples, Hazel & James, and Collette & Aubrey.

At a time where racism, prejudice and hatred were in full bloom, being black was tough. Aubrey Edwards himself is a young man from Harlem, talented Jazz mus
Mel
Someone liked my review for this book and I realized I never said anything about it, which is absurd since it’s still the best book I read this year so far.

This is a world war 1 love story told from the perspectives of Aphrodite (the goddess of love), Ares (war) and Hades (death). As you can imagine, I was a little stressed when Hades was on scene.

This was so phenomenal. From the writing style, to the plot, to the characters, to the story, I loved it all. So much innocence and love in such a b
Jessica
Stunning.

Each of Julie's books is so different and so breathtaking. Here she presents dual stories: the Greek myth of Hephaestus capturing his wife Aphrodite with Ares, presented against the backdrop of WWII. But Aphrodite, as her defense, tells the story of star-crossed lovers she followed and aided during WWI.

Rich historical details about war, about the birth of jazz and ragtime, the clashing of cultures between the British, French, Belgian, and American allies, the first African American so
Alexa
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Alexa by: Hannah • So Obsessed With
I decided to listen to this one after picking it out for Hannah, who has read it and loved it!

There was honestly no way I was going to be able to give this story anything but a full five stars, and that was something I knew very early on. Berry deftly weaves mythological figures and their roles into a story of love and of war, and I was hooked a few sections in all the way till the end.

Listening the audiobook was also a great decision, as this full cast audio was spectacular.
ellie ♡
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 | this book made me cry four time in a span of 100 pages. i was hoping to love this book, but i was not expecting this book to become one of my all-time favorite books. i am a sucker for historical romances, but this book was so much more. the writing, dialogue, descriptions, etc., was simply enamoring and i spent many nights staying up late to continue reading. i’m surprised that i haven’t seen much hype for this book, but i strongly urge everyone to pick this up. i already have plans to rere ...more
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
It's 1917, which means WWI is currently happening in full force. We meet Hazel, who is normally a homebody, but goes out one night to play the piano at a party. While there, she meets James, a soldier, whose plans to become an architect are on hold thanks to the Great War. Their attraction is instantaneous, but what will happen when he is shipped off to war and she remains home in her sleepy little town? Then there's Colette, whose entire town in Belgium, suffered due to the German invasion. Her ...more
rachel
It's 1917, and World War I is at its zenith... thirty years after these four lovers' fates collide, the Greek goddess Aphrodite tells their stories to her husband, Hephaestus, and her lover, Ares, in a luxe Manhattan hotel room at the height of World War II.

give. it. to me.
Queen Cronut
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, lit-literature
This book could slap me and I would thank it.

*RTC
Emily
this was absolutely INCREDIBLE. i’m honestly getting a little emotional thinking about how beautiful this book was from start to finish. i love me a little historical fiction and this delivered such a lovely and heartbreaking and gorgeous story taking place during world war I.

UNREAL.....SO GOOD. there were several moments in the book that made me swoon, berry does such an amazing job of writing romance and longing and all that good stuff. i am an absolute pile of mush.

don’t even get me started o
Abigail
Hazel saw him breathe in time with the music. She saw tears well at the rims of his dark eyes. This one, she decided. This lad, for me. And it was done.

It's been so long since I've read a World War 1 novel, and I definitely need to remedy that. I don't know nearly enough about this war. And let me say, I don't often expect historical fiction novels to make my "favorite books of all time" list. This one may just have a spot on that list.

Lovely War was indeed lovely. The writing is lyrical an
Rachel McMillan
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GUSH!

"If love demands brokenness, don't count yourself out."

How do you describe a book that is more of an experience than another read? I fell so immediately for the intrusive mythological voices-- the loudest being Apollo, Aphrodite, Ares and Hades as they tried in a mock court case the clash (or waltz) between love and war while embroidering the interconnected stories of a quartet of young people during the Great War.

The experiences here belong to Hazel, James, Aubrey and Colette and paint th
Andrea
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-read
This is a love story on three fronts. Two involve soldiers involved in WWI, while the other is about Aphrodite, Ares and Hephaestus. This was a sweeping and immersive historical fiction with a bit of a fantastical twist. When Hephaestus sets a trap for his wife and her lover, he takes her to trial. He doesn't expect her to sweep him off his feet with an epic love story from thirty years ago.

When Hazel, a shy yet talented pianist, meets James at a chance party, they fall in love almost immediatel
Lisa
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mixing romance, war, and mythology, Julie Berry's Lovely War is an all encompassing and emotional story. While it is marketed as a historical romance, war and its effects are given just as much attention. Several of the secondary characters were real people, which adds to the realism of the story. Berry does not shy away from the gruesome details and Lovely War is rare in its candid handling of the events of World War I.

Narrated by a cast of gods and goddesses, we are introduced to Hazel, James,
Panda Incognito
This book is SO UNSPEAKABLY GOOD. It is everything I could possibly want out of historical fiction, and the dual love stories are phenomenal beyond imagination. I have followed Julie Berry's career for ten years, and I don't think she can possibly top this book. She was born to write this particular novel in this particular way, and no one else could have done it this well. The themes! The attention to small details! The historical accuracy! The pathos! The plot and pacing! The use of Greek myth ...more
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Jennie
Cover Story: Big Coat Energy
BFF Charm: Make It Rain
Swoonworthy Scale: 8
Talky Talk: Mighty Aphrodite
Bonus Factors: WWI, Paris, Gateway Book
Relationship Status: Marry Me Before You Go

Read the full book report here.
May Regan
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me: *reads a Rick Riordan book where gods are stupid and people get hurt but are okay in the end but only kinda* noice 👌🏼
Me: *reads Julie Berry's book where gods are stupid AND funny and people get hurt but are okay in the end only not really and love kinda prevails and my heart is on the floor* n o i c e 👌🏼👌🏼👌🏼👌🏼
Lauren
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Oh my god. Simply heartbreaking and beautiful and told from such a unique and intriguing perspective. I loved this WWI novel of love and hope. Loved it.
Aly
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, june2019
Wow, this may be the first historical book I've given 5 stars. I usually don't like historical fiction, but the addition of the Greek Gods and the multiple narrators and jumps in timeline made this amazing!
I highly recommend the audiobook, it has several narrators and music and made this so enjoyable. They all did a fabulous job, especially with accents and different voices.
The plot was so well written, not slow at all and the bouncing around wasn't confusing for me at all. The trial with mult
Stephanie Thornton
A sweet love story told from the unique perspective of squabbling Greek gods, this is a fresh look at World War I that my twelve-year-old daughter can't wait to gobble up!
Christy
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Lovely War is a unique story, with Aphrodite narrating two stories of love through WWI. The way Julie Berry tackles this age old love vs war dynamic is stunning! I really loved how everything wove together and the ending, including the historical context that we so miss in American history classes.
Katie Gallagher
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to come!
Sheharzad ⚘
woah two love stories from ww1 told by aphrodite to hephaestus and ares?? to answer the question why love and war are inexplicably drawn to one another? sign me up ma'am
Amira
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yalsa
Absolutely amazing! A world mixed with mythology and the horror of real life to make the perfect combination!
║ madalin ║
"Woodwinds chasing one another in lilting ribbons of sound, swirling around the balconies. Then brass and winds together. A marcher and a dancer. A soldier and a piano girl.
Hazel pulled pulsing sound into her lungs. Beside her, a grave-eyed young man made the air crackle around him. She made a wish. Let tonight never end. Let the music play on and on."

Sometimes you finish a book, think about it for a week or so after, and then move on. And then sometimes, you finish a book and you're not sure if

• Frankly in Love
  • The Downstairs Girl
  • Someday We Will Fly
  • Spectacle (Spectacle, #1)
  • Dig
  • Inventing Victoria
  • The Place on Dalhousie
  • The Waning Age
  • Hope and Other Punchlines
  • Night Music
  • Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
  • The Fountains of Silence