Start by marking “The Magic Flute” as Want to Read:
The Magic Flute

The Magic Flute

From Caldecott Medalist and New York Times bestselling author-illustrator Chris Raschka comes a gorgeously illustrated retelling of Mozart’s classic opera, The Magic Flute.

The Magic Flute is the favorite choice of many opera lovers. But ask any of them to tell you the rambunctious, mystical, and downright oddball story of the opera and no two tellers will agree.

Enter
Published August 13th 2019 by Atheneum/Richard Jackson Books

To ask other readers questions about The Magic Flute, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magic Flute

Start your review of The Magic Flute
Jon Nakapalau
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this! Finally was able to get the cast of characters clear in my head! Fantastic art!
La Coccinelle
Aug 16, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Full disclosure: I'm not a Chris Raschka fan at all. In fact, I've pretty much hated every book of his that I've read. So why did I read this one? The subject matter. I wanted to see how he would turn Mozart's classic opera into a children's story.

When I was a kid, we had a cassette tape (yeah, yeah, yeah... I'm old) of a little production by Classical Kids called Mozart's Magic Fantasy . It used The Magic Flute as the basis of the story and then built around it. After reading Raschka's book, I
Melissa Neufer
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it
The Magic Flute is a classical opera and story line everyone is familiar with some way or another. Whether you're an Opera fan or not, you've probably seen some sort of adaption of it, even if you don't realize it. So being a theatre fan, I thought it was great they made a picture book version of it.

The illustrations were cute. I did like how they "modernized" it with some points to make it more relatable to the child reading it and they'd understand.

The issue I had with it was despite it
Peacegal
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
I didn't really care for the presentation or the art style of this one.
robyn
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Wow! Ummm...thought it was me. I was put off on page one, when I saw the names Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Emanuel Schikaneder without a pronunciation key (because, you know, the picture book crowd are familiar with these folks). I was confused from the first page - rather than having me at hello, it lost me at the Curtain. The illustrations were simply too jarring. I liked the text and would LOVE to see it illustrated differently. Half way through, I saw "Be steadfast," and I ...more
Melissa Mcavoy
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, art, picture
I am not sure who this book is for. The illustrations have a messy naivete that very few children find appealing and while they mirror the messy and unappealing plot of the magic flute, I can't feel that is a good thing. Here's the problem: the best thing about the Magic Flute is Mozart's music and it isn't here. For the 7 children who will be taken to the Magic Flute and the 10 adults who will want to preview the inscrutable action to prepare the child - this is your book. Have at it.
Juliana Lee
Based on Mozart's opera The Magic Flute, the story is told for children. But honestly, there are too many characters, themes, and details for the picture book audience. It might be a good introduction for a child who is accompanying their parents to the opera. Generally not a good fit for most kids though
V
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: t, 2019t
My son can't get enough of this.

The Magic Flute is a kids' version of Mozart's opera, with simple language, speech bubbles, and a "Who's Who?" introduction at the start. The story is narrated in easy-to-follow scenes, and the illustrations are bright and whimsical. If you've never seen The Magic Flute, that is totally fine! No background knowledge is necessary.
Myfanwy
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don’t think I’ll read this to my kids until they’re like 30. But as a grownup who can’t take opera seriously and also likes Raschka’s artwork, I think I’m accidentally the target audience for this book
Meredith
Nov 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mock-caldecott
WTF was that?
Locking someone up because they won't kiss you?
Slaves singing?
Killing yourself over the person you met for an hour being taken away?
In a picture book for kids? Really?
This can't be for kids. Is it?
Y.Poston
Very colorful;
busy and confusing;
may work for an older
child familiar with the
story
Kelly
Sep 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
I love Chris Raschka's work. I couldn't stand this book. I didn't like the format. It is written as in scenes from a play. But the text and story is so choppy!
Robin
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Well, that was confusing. Very handy if you are trying to understand the plot of The Magic Flute, I guess, but otherwise please skip it. Ages 7-9?
Edward Sullivan
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Raschka's retelling is child-friendly introduction to opera and one of Mozart's most loved works.
Mary Lee
Aug 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, picture-book, music
I guess I don't even like opera in picture books!
Beverly
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read for the Mock Caldecott Awards. A child's extremely colorful and simply worded recreation of the opera, The Magic Flute. It's a beautiful book!!
Shauna Yusko
If you need a picture book about the opera or to help explain the story.
Jean
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love Chris Raschka!
Jeannie
Dec 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I found this book a bit hard to follow.
Rachel
Such a unique way to introduce the opera.
Amy Chesman

• Double Bass Blues
  • Manhattan: Mapping the Story of an Island
  • My Shape is Sam
  • Birdsong
  • Best Friends (Real Friends, #2)
Chris Raschka is the illustrator of The Hello, Goodbye Window, which was awarded the Caldecott Medal. He is also the illustrator of the Caldecott Honor Book Yo! Yes?; Charlie Parker Played Be Bop; Mysterious Thelonious; John Coltrane’s Giant Steps; Can’t Sleep; and The Magic Flute. He lives with his wife and son in New York City.