Start by marking “Sleep” as Want to Read:
Sleep

Sleep

All Anna wants is to be able to sleep. But crushing insomnia, terrifying night terrors and memories of that terrible night are making it impossible. If only she didn’t feel so guilty…

To escape her past, Anna takes a job at a hotel on the remote Scottish island of Rum, but when seven guests join her, what started as a retreat from the world turns into a deadly nightmare.

Eac
Published April 4th 2019 by Avon HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Sleep, please sign up.
Stina I don't think their name was mentioned. If anyone, I think it was Gordon Brodie who lives in the cottage near the hotel but went to see to the school…moreI don't think their name was mentioned. If anyone, I think it was Gordon Brodie who lives in the cottage near the hotel but went to see to the school as the storm hit and got cut off.(less)

Kylie D
An interesting psychological thriller, solid, yet not quite reaching the chilling heights it could have. Anna has taken up a position in a small hotel on the Scottish island of Rum, trying to deal with the aftermath of a fatal accident that she was involved in. She has seven guests in the hotel when the weather turns bad, and they are cut off from the rest of the world with no phone signal or WiFi, and the only way out, over a local river, is flooded.

Soon things start happening that shouldn't,
sue
400 pages read.....just like that! Yep 400 pages whizzed past me without me even recognising how many pages were in this latest book of CL Taylor’s.

I opened the book after studying the cover (like you do) and wondered what relevance and connection, if any, would be within these pages.

Well, you soon find out.

The beginning of the story makes me feel for Anna. She was the driver of the car that killed two people, one injured. I couldn’t help but think and feel for her. To blame yourself is the firs
Amanda
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I know from previous experience that before you start a C.L Taylor book to clear you’re diary and get comfortable, as you won’t want to be parted from you’re book!!

What a beginning
“If you’re reading this then I am no longer alive” You had me totally enthralled from this point to the end. I devoured every word afraid to look away incase I missed a single thing!!

Anna is driving back from a company team building event, when she is involved in a car crash which kills 2 colleagues and cripples anot
Rebecca Carter
I've read two of C.L. Taylor's previous books; The Lie and The Escape. Sleep is the sixth book written by her and is just as (if not more so) absorbing as the two I've previously read.

It's an utterly gripping psychological thriller mystery and "who done it" similar to Murder on the Orient Express, where the cast of characters are all trapped together in one place, with a possible murderer among them. The tension builds along with the pace of the book, and it will make any reader lose "Sleep" du
Carolyn
If you're reading this I am no longer alive. Someone has been stalking me for the last three months and, if I am dead, it wasn't an accident.

So starts a note written by Anna Willis for the police should she be found dead on the remote Scottish Island of Rum.

Anna was struggling to get back to a normal life after a serious car accident where some of her work colleagues were killed or seriously injured. Although it was not her fault that a truck ploughed into her car coming back from a work team
Liz Barnsley
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to give this top marks because reading Sleep genuinely meant that I had none over the night I read it. Well perhaps a little bit after I finished it bleary eyed at around 3am.

I'm still very fond of the psychological thriller, despite having read so many, both excellent ones and also some truly terrible ones - but this author never fails to entertain me, whether it's by writing those characters I love to hate, or as in this case with a twisty page turner that doesnt loosen it's grip once y
Brenda
After the horrific accident which claimed two of her colleagues’ lives and severely injured another, Anna could find no peace. Blaming herself was easy, although everyone told her it wasn’t her fault. But when the break up with her boyfriend Alex occurred, Anna wasn’t surprised. In fact, she was relieved. She needed to get away; start again. Maybe she could find some peace of mind if she did.

The Scottish island of Rum seemed to be her answer – only 36 residents on the whole island and the local
Pauline
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
C L Taylor is one of my favourite authors and I was delighted to receive a copy of her latest book Sleep. I cold not put it down and read it over the weekend.
Anna is in a serious road accident with three of her work colleagues. There are fatalities and Anna feels responsible because she was driving. After she is released from hospital she decides that she can't go back to her job and takes a position in a hotel on the small Scottish island of Rum.
Anna was sure that she was being stalked and targ
Gary
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another high quality psychological thriller by one of my favourite authors C.L. Taylor. I find her writing instantly entertaining and so difficult to put down once you start reading the opening page. This one was no different and shortly after starting reading it I was already re-planning my day in order to finish it, so you are warned.
The lead character, Anna is involved in a road accident and three of her work colleagues are left dead or seriously injured. Anna was driving and feels responsib
Louise Wilson
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
All Anna wants to do is sleep. But crushing insomnia, terrifying nightmares and memories of that terrible night are making it impossible. To escape her past, Anna takes a job in a hotel on the remote Scottish island of Rim, but when seven guests join her, what started as are treat from the world turns into a deadly nightmare.

Anna has survived a car crash but two of her colleagues were killed and one was left with life changing injuries. Anna blamed herself as she had been driving. She moves to t
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
The Escape was the very first book I read by C.L. Taylor and I found it OK. This one, however, is really, really good! I'm a big fan of audiobooks, especially thrillers and I decided to listen to this one instead of reading it and oh boy that was a good move! Sleep is the kind of book that draws in the reader's right from the start and then you just can't stop reading (or listening).

Sleep is the kind of thriller with lots of suspects, plenty of red herrings and a great pace! Is someone after Ann
Mark
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it

I have loved all of C.L. Taylors previous books, ‘Sleep’ I liked!
The story revolves around Anna who is involved in a car crash where 2 of her colleagues die and one has life changing injuries, she walks away....was it her fault?
Anna cant settle back to ‘normal’ life and so moves to Rum (!) a near deserted isolated Scottish island to start work in the islands only hotel and welcomes her first set of guests....there is a storm...the hotel is cut off....someone is seeking revenge for what she ‘did
Paula Sealey
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wonderfully plotted thriller that kept my mind working overtime trying to figure out who the culprit was; this is definitely one to read! With its remote island setting and cast of disparate and damaged characters all adding to the tense plot, I raced through the pages as the suspense increased and the well of suspects decreased, until just that final one remained! I think you'd be hard pressed to guess the ending before it arrives, well, I certainly couldn't, and this all added to my enjoymen ...more
Becca
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Sleep is the 6th psychological thriller CL Taylor has written. It is a stand alone. And it is awesome.

Cally put on Instagram that this was on NetGalley and I got super excited and high tailed it on over there. Only to find it had already gone to wish. Gutted! So I wished. And I was extra happy that I got approved for it the next day! 😊 Wahoo!

Sleep is about Anna, a young woman who is involved in a fatal car accident involving her and three colleagues. Two of her colleagues died in the crash and
Mandy White
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
CL Taylor.. you smashed this one out of the park and then some! What a fantastic book! Seriously people if you have not read anything by this writer you are missing out big time. I am a big fan and have loved Lo of her books but this one is absolutely her best so far. I had a rare day off without any kids round me I devoured this in an afternoon. I could not put it down and had no idea how it was going to end... so so good. Get your hands on this book people!!

It opens with Anna being involved in
♛ Garima ♛
This happens very often that I found something of my liking from netgalley. Yes, it happens but like I said very often.

Story starts with very typical letter -
If you are reading this, I am already dead…..

I have lost count how many times I read thrillers which starts with that so as soon as I started reading, I put myself on high alert so that I would not be overly disappointed. Thank God, it has turned out as good as it could be.

As the story progresses, it becomes obvious that each guest is
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is a book I would definitely not recommend starting on an evening. Not only won’t you want to go to sleep, you won’t be able to pull yourself away from the book either!

There is no better setting than a secluded island for this genre of story. As lovely as it sounds, the fact that a doctor only visits once every two weeks and if there were ever any emergencies, you are totally cut off. You can’t even drive to the island! Alarm bells were starting to ring before the guests turn up! You really
The Cats Mother
There’s a certain irony in the fact that I’m writing this review at 3.20am because I can’t sleep, although fortunately not for the same reasons as this book’s protagonist! It’s certainly a suspenseful page-turner that’s worth tomorrow’s inevitable yawns...

Wracked with guilt over her role in the car crash that killed two of her colleagues and paralysed a third, and unsure if the creepy notes she’s finding are the work of a stalker or her own paranoia, Anna quits her job and her failing relationsh
Shalini
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was delighted when Elke Desanghere from Avon Books UK pre-approved me to read this book. I have loved C. L. Taylor's books, and her stories generally twist my head in.

Sleep by C. L. Taylor started when the main character Anna loses sleep due to her guilt after a road traffic accident which kills two of her colleagues and paralyses the third. The same guilt forces her to take a job in a hotel in the isolated island of Rum, Scotland. 7 guests arrive, and one of them wants to kill her.

As promise
Lou
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What drew me to Sleep was not only my love of Ms Taylor's previous novels but also the remote setting of the Scottish island of Rum. There really is nothing better than a gripping thriller set in a claustrophobic landscape that leads to a dark, unpredictable and deeply atmospheric story. There are twists, turns and red herrings galore and the author does a superb job of throwing you off the scent. This is a writer at the top of her game and who just gets better and better with each book. A thoro ...more
Rachel Gilbey
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow what an utterly compulsive read. Yet again the amazing C. L. Taylor has written something both unputdownable and simply brilliant.

I always tend to find I read this author's books in one sitting so had been bidding my time to start it when i could give it my full attention. What better than on a 12 hours flight to Thailand.

I think it took perhaps 2 and a half hours tops to devour Sleep. No whether I'll get any sleep myself after reading this is to be seen as it was slightly unsettling.

Most
Kirsty ❤️
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this! Stuck at home being ill so I'm clearing my to-do read at a brilliant pace anyway but even so I think I would still have read this in a day regardless. I couldn't put it down.

Anna moves to a remote Scottish island to start life afresh after a traffic incident leaves 2 of her colleagues dead and a third paralysed. Anna had a miracle escape and feels guilty for being the one to walk away. The hotel on the island is a tiny one and pretty much full up when 7 people come to s
Adrian Dooley
Hmm. I enjoyed some of this and some of it was a little tedious and bordering on silly. A mixed bag.

Anna is involved in a serious car accident. She survives but there are fatalities, and as the driver she is overcome with guilt.

When she is released from hospital and back home recouperating she has an unnervering feeling that she is being watched.
She can’t adjust back to normal life and wants to get away from it all. She takes a job in a small hotel on the island it Rum in Scotland to try and
Thebooktrail
description

Visit locations in the novel

Creepy Cally that’s what I ‘m calling this author now. She really ramps it up in this novel with the claustrophobic hotel and the storm and the strangers thrown together!.

The plot was good from the start – a woman, Anna, wanting to escape the guilt of an accident and the guilt of her friends deaths. So, coming away to a nice island retreat should be nice even if she does have to work, right?

The fear is already there as Anna wants to escape the taunting messages being
Gary
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Evie Braithwaite
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Anna Willis is drowning in guilt during the aftermath of a tragic road accident involving her work colleagues. The fatal incident leaves her plagued with insomnia, flashbacks keeping her up at night. If she does fall asleep, she soon wakes up screaming. What’s more, she has an unnerving feeling that she is being stalked and targeted. As a means of escape, she leaves her already broken relationship with Alex and starts fresh in the remote Scottish Island of Rum working in its only hotel. However, ...more
Dee Arr
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, thriller
{60-second video review at http://bit.ly/-Sleep- }

I don’t usually like to see an initial chapter or forward in a novel that foreshadows what is to come. In most cases, authors are using it as a hook, hoping a reader will get caught up and purchase their book based upon what will be happening later. Although she used this technique, C.L. Taylor exercised it with novelty and control, creating something that easily led me to the next chapter.

The early story introduces Anna, who was the driver in a
Kat Dietrich

Sleep by C.L. Taylor is a psychological thriller.

First, let me thank NetGalley, the publisher Avon Books, and of course the author, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

My Synopsis:
Anna and her colleagues were returning home from a weekend retreat. Anna was driving. The driver of a truck fell asleep at the wheel and veered into her lane. She lost control, and that was it. She was the only one to walk away with no physical injuries.
Clare

With.thanks Netgalley and Avon for this ARC in exchange for an open and honest review.

I was glued to this book from the first sentence,' if you are reading this I am no longer alive'. Anna was driving home when she was involved in a car crash, which left two of her colleagues dead and the other paralysed. The crash was caused by a lorry driver falling asleep at the wheel, although the lorry driver was prosecuted Anna felt guilty. Anna started to receive anonymous notes and felt she was being wat
Andreia ♡The Butterfly Lover♡
"To die, to sleep." - Shakeaspeare

Is this the year of great twists and unexpected endings? My fisrt book by C.L. Taylor did not disappoint! I was surprised to find myself kind of lost in a very complicated plot! The ending was almost abrupt and I was so glad everything was explained after all! She delivers a VERY SATISFACTORY CONCLUSION!!
  • Day of the Accident
  • The Evidence Against You
  • No Way Out (DI Adam Fawley, #3)
  • Finding Grace
  • Bad Moon (Kat Campbell #2)
  • The Last Clinic (Darla Cavannah Mysteries, #1)
  • Dirty Little Secrets
  • The Whisper Man
  • Little Bones (Cathy Connolly, #1)
  • The Nanny
  • Dead Memories (D.I. Kim Stone, #10)
  • Pigen uden hud
  • The Hidden Hours
  • Do No Harm
  • Raze (Riven, #3)
  • The Venus Trap
  • Dear Wife
  • The Neighbour
C.L. Taylor lives in Bristol with her partner and young son. She is a four times Sunday Times bestseller and her books have hit the number one spots on Amazon, Kobo, iBooks and Google Play. Cally has a degree in Psychology, with particular interest in abnormal and criminal Psychology. She also loves knitting, Dr Who, Sherlock, Great British Bake Off and Margaret Atwood and blames Roald Dahl's Tale ...more
“If cancer were a person he’d have beaten the shit out of it and smashed its face to a pulp.” 0 likes
“No. It doesn't hurt there. It hurts here, in here, inside my head.” 0 likes