Start by marking “Los inmortales” as Want to Read:
Los inmortales

Los inmortales

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  87,077 ratings  ·  10,203 reviews
En 1969 en el Lower East Side de Nueva York se está corriendo la voz sobre la llegada de una mujer mística: una adivina viajera que asegura poder predecir la fecha de la muerte de las personas. Los hermanos Gold, Simon, Klara, Daniel y Varya, son cuatro adolescentes que consiguen localizar a la adivina y saber qué les depara el futuro.
Pero lo que los hermanos Gold no entie
Published September 2018 by Planeta (first published January 9th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Los inmortales, please sign up.
David Jr. 50-page rule! Until the age of fifty if you are not into a book by page 50, skip it. For every year after the age of fifty read one less page before…more50-page rule! Until the age of fifty if you are not into a book by page 50, skip it. For every year after the age of fifty read one less page before you make your decision. ie. A sixty-year-old person only has to read 40 pages. (less)
Chloe Benjamin Good question--no!! I've tried to resolve this with Goodreads a few times. I've only written THE IMMORTALISTS and THE ANATOMY OF DREAMS. :)

·  87,077 ratings  ·  10,203 reviews

Emily May
"And what if I change?" It seems impossible that Varya's future is already inside her like an actress just offstage, waiting decades to leave the wings.
"Then you'd be special. 'Cause most people don't."

2 1/2 stars. I have a lot of mixed feelings about The Immortalists. Though there were parts I enjoyed, I was left feeling underwhelmed and like I'd recommend many other similar books before recommending this one.

You should be aware that this is literary fiction and focuses in depth on the lives
Elyse Walters
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Update ---I must add one more thought to this review: *The-Book-Cover* is not only lovely -- but now that I've read the book -- I recognize this 'perfect' design is symbolic to this story.
Jewish Kabbalists believe "The Tree of Life" to be a diagrammatic representation of the process by which the Universe came into being".
Jewish Kabbalists also don't envision time and space as pre-existing.
A wonderful -symbolically fitting book cover -- The mysticism of the fortune teller mixed with traditiona
Julie
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin is a 2018 G.P. Putnam’s Sons publication.

In a novel, so centered on death, there is a tremendous amount of life and living within these pages.

Beginning in 1969, the four Gold siblings boldly knock on the door of a fortune teller who then proceeds to impart to them the one thing nobody knows when they enter this world- the exact day you will die.

For better or worse, Varya, Daniel, Klara and Simon cope with this heavy information, but, their approach to life, t
Navidad Thélamour
See my exclusive interview with Chloe Benjamin about her novel The Immortalists here!

“There are two major theories about how to stop aging…”
“…It sounds like you’re saying we can choose to live. Or we can choose to survive.”

Chloe Benjamin’s The Immortalists is a thoughtfully executed novel written in simple, yet often poetic, prose that allowed the characters’ voices at their most forceful to shine on their own past the narrative itself. More than that, it is a novel crafted around a question we
Annet
The Immortalists….
Imagine you are a kid and together with your siblings you sneak out of the house to go see a gypsy woman who is said to be able predict the day you die… It’s 1969 in New York City’s East side, and word has spread about a mystical woman, a traveling psychic….You go to see her and all of you get to hear ‘your’ date.
You go home and then…. Life goes on. Will you believe this prophecy, will it influence the way you live? Will you be able to handle it? How will you live your life?
Th
Hannah Greendale
Conceptually intriguing but lackluster in its execution. Benjamin’s contemporary coming-of-age tantalizes with its premise of four siblings who encounter a traveling psychic who reveals when they will die but is feather-light in its examination of the line between destiny and choice. Despite mention of mysticism and psychics, gypsies and magicians, the prose is unadorned, and the brevity of each character’s story evokes a perpetual sense of detachment. The fun of The Immortalists lies in specula ...more
Norma * Traveling Sister
This was a Traveling Sisters Group Read, and only two of us were left standing in the Lush Coulee with the rest of the sisters leaving the coulee at or before the first goal of this book. Thank you to Jennifer for reading this one with me, it was a pleasure and I loved the discussion this book brought out.

4.5 stars! This was such a memorable and interesting read that had such a unique storyline with a profound and special message within the pages of this book that had us asking ourselves so many
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
3.5? 3.75?

I actually ended up liking this more than I expected!

The premise was very intriguing. Four siblings meet a psychic who tells them the exact date they will die. It then influences how they choose to live their lives.

This felt more like a historical fiction/contemporary than fantasy/sci-fi so be warned!

It's definitely a slow burning story where you follow each characters throughout their struggles.

I enjoyed it!
Larry H
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I'd rate this 4.5 stars.

If you could know the exact day of your death, would you want to find out? If you did find out, how would knowing that information affect how you lived your life? These questions are at the heart of The Immortalists , Chloe Benjamin's deeply affecting and beautifully written new book.

In 1969, growing up on New York's Lower East Side, the Gold siblings learn that there is a traveling fortune teller in their neighborhood who can tell anyone the day they will die. While not
Paromjit
Chloe Benjamin's epic The Immortalists has us considering some of the most fundamental and complex questions about life and how we live it. It is thought provoking as it asks does knowledge of our mortality make us live our life to the utmost or makes us fearful, guilty, and seek to outwit death? It is 1969 and in Manhattan, New York, the 4 Jewish Gold children seek a light hearted encounter with a gypsy psychic, who tells each of them their prophecies and their date of death. They cannot break ...more
Esil
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ew
I didn’t love everything about The Immortalists, but I found it powerful in parts, and especially at the end. After giving it some thought, I’m comfortable with a 4 star rating.

The book focuses on four siblings. At the beginning, as children and young teens growing up in Manhattan, they visit a fortune teller who tells them separately and secretly the date they will each die. The rest of the book is broken into four parts, each part focusing on one sibling. It’s not so much about whether the pre
JanB
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss

What a unique and compelling premise. Would you want to know the date of your death? And if you did, how would that knowledge change the way you lived? If you change your life could that be the very thing that might hasten your demise? Or would you just try and make the most of every day?

The book opens with 4 siblings visiting a fortune teller who tells each of them the exact day they would die. After this intriguing beginning, the story is broken into four parts, one for each of the s
Jen
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Would you want to know when you will die? It would give you a chance to live life to its fullest or could hang over you like a death sentence.

It's 1969 and the 4 young Gold siblings decide to chance it when a gypsy comes to town to find out when their expiration dates are up.

These prophecies dictate how their lives unfold because as much as they don't want to believe, their own self fulfilling prophecies will lead them down a path: Simon, the youngest, lives his life recklessly trying to fulfi
Tammy
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this was going to be magical realism which I confess is not a subgenre that I enjoy. It isn't. Four siblings, as children, find out the date of their deaths and for the next fifty years their lives richochet about as they try to live with (or run from) this knowledge. The Immortalists is about life, the bonds between siblings as well as science, religion, dance and research monkeys. Yes, you read that correctly.
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Live each day as if it were your last, while also not knowing it's your last day. ✨ 4.5 stars rounded up for The Immortalists

The Immortalists is a different sort of book. Hard to classify, and while it may not be for everybody, it was an addictive read for me. Four young siblings find out the date of each of their deaths from a gyspsy fortune teller. The reader follows each sibling as "the day" edges near, and the way the stories were arranged and overlapped between each character added further
Linda
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
"The power of words. They weaseled under door cracks and through keyholes. They hooked into individuals and wormed through generations."

And the utterance of dates murmured by an unreliable mystical woman on a scorching hot summer's day is the focus of this story. It's 1969 in New York City and the four young Gold children set out to find this elusive woman who will tell them the dates of their deaths.

Would you honestly want to know? The gift of life is like handing over the reins of a wild runa
Liz
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-clubs

So, would you want to know the date of your death? I would not, but it’s a fascinating premise for a novel. Four siblings venture to a fortune teller in 1969 and learn the exact dates of their deaths. The book then takes on each sibling and shows us how their life plays out. Do they live their lives differently for knowing the date? Do their actions lead them to die on the intended date? Do those that are given a long life take advantage of the time or waste it?

It’s a sad book. I wanted to wrap
Carol
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars.

BEWARE the woman on Hester Street.

As the story begins, it's 1969 New York when four bored adolescent siblings....just for a bit of fun....pool their allowances and sneak out to track down a Seer they heard tell about who could predict the date of their death.

What they discover changes each life forever.

One by one, the individual stories are told, the dates of demise divulged as we follow a young Varya 13, Daniel 11, Klara 9 and Simon 7 throughout their often heartbreaking, challengi

Karen
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 for this novel centered around 4 siblings in New York. It’s 1969, these Jewish siblings ages 13-7, two boys and two girls, hear on the street that there is a woman in the city who can tell fortunes. They visit her and she sees them one at a time, and tells them the date they will die.
So we follow these kids through the years and see how this information changes the way they live and their relationships with their family and others.
I really enjoyed this book!
Marialyce
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
5 stars for a book that makes you think. "Of all the wonders that I yet have heard, It seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, Will come when it will come."

What if you knew the day, the month, the year of your death? Would that make you live a different life? Would you try to compress all of life's experiences, the good, the seedy, and the bad into a short life projection? Would you languish your days knowing that you had many years in front of you and
Lori
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first 5 star rating of a novel that I didn’t really like at all most of the way through... I came very close to not finishing. That is why I am completely baffled by my own reaction. The pieces to this puzzle are not really unique on their own, however, once they come together the product is utterly amazing. Upon finishing I could not fathom giving it anything other than 5 stars. Would make a great book club pick... it yearns to be discussed and I’m really looking forward to others re ...more
Tim
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First, this is mistitled. Second, I listened to every word. Narrator, Maggie Hoffman is excellent. Third. My overall conclusion is that this is 99% downerville. The writing while good, scatters this novel and leaves the listener/reader unfulfilled. If you favor tragedies with lots of depression, this is for you. 4 of 10 stars
Carol
E-galley provided by Edelweiss, G.P. Putnam & Sons, and Author Chloe Benjamin. To be published January 9, 2018. A special shout out to Michael Kindness for his profuse recommendation of The Immortalists.

I was lured in wanting to know the fate of the four Gold siblings whose date of death is foretold by a nomadic fortuneteller. To my amazement this was not the best part. Mesmerizing and so well told. The publishing date of January 9, 2018 can’t come soon enough. The Immortalists is bound to b
Jenny
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a book from the library on my want to read list. I just finished and couldn’t put it down but now filled with sadness and a general feeling of true unnecessary sorrow for the family.
So many themes in this book, fate vs freewill, happiness versus duty/obligation, freedom versus family and many more.
It is certainly a book that leaves you pondering your own goals, hopes and dreams for the life that you are given.
Dem
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars.
Would your life change if you had been given the date on which you would die?

Set in 1969 in New York City's Lower East Side, word spreads that there is a a traveling psychic who claims she can tell folks the date of their deaths. . The Gold children—four adolescents on the cusp of self-awareness—sneak out to hear their fortunes but how will it affect them as individuals and as a family.

Without doubt an interesting and intriguing premise and a book that caught me by surprise for many
Hannah
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, magical-realism
In 1969, four siblings visit a mystical woman who tells each one the precise date of their death. This knowledge will define each sibling's life in various ways, be it because they live their life in spite of the knowledge or because of their knowledge. It is a novel about fate and agency, about finding a place in the world, about family and selfhood, about mistakes and guilt and forgiveness.

This book's prologue was absolutely bloody brilliant. It had me engaged immediately and I could not stop
Sam
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The conceit is fabulous: in 1969, the four Gold siblings visit a fortune teller who bestows upon them the date of their death. Like a stone dropped in a pond, the repercussions reverberate through time and we follow Varya, Daniel, Klara, and Simon across their individual life spans, their choices and actions made in spite of and in defiance of this "foreknowledge". Chloe Benjamin's debut novel The Immortalists juggles many questions - do we create our fates or are we slaves to them, how should a ...more
Philip
3.5ish stars.

An enjoyable family saga/character study with the tiniest dash of magical realism, but it's missing something. Without the something, it's unmemorable and unremarkable.

The kids of the Gold family have a gypsy psychic tell them the dates of their deaths, which is sort of used as the premise of the book. Mostly it's just used as an excuse to explore what it means to live one's "best life." Try to cram as much life in as possible before death catches up (and maybe inadvertently cause
Cheri
The year is 1969, as this story begins, Varya is thirteen, a child no longer, but still hovering on the verge of becoming a woman.

”They wind through the neighborhood, all four of them: Varya, the eldest; Daniel, eleven; Klara, nine; and Simon, seven. Daniel leads the way, taking them down Clinton to Delancey, turning left at Forsyth. They walk the perimeter of Sara D. Roosevelt Park, keeping to the shade beneath the trees.”

It’s there, in this Lower East-Side neighborhood, that Daniel hears the
Diane Barnes
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Which is stronger, fate or free will? Can changing your actions alter your fate, or simply make it more inevitable? Should life be measured by longevity, or by joy? Should we fear death, or embrace life all the more because of it?

These are the questions Chloe Benjamin has us consider in this beautiful novel. In 1969, 4 siblings, ranging in age from 13 to 7, visit a fortune teller who tells them the exact date of their death. How they handle this information is told through each one's story, with
Pasadena Bookies ...: The Immortalist 1 2 May 06, 2019 04:18PM
The Underground B...: The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin 1 15 Mar 02, 2019 08:32PM

• The Underground Railroad
  • Beartown (Beartown, #1)
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • You Think It, I'll Say It
  • Girls Burn Brighter
  • Transcription
  • Tell the Machine Goodnight
Chloe Benjamin is the author of THE IMMORTALISTS, a New York Times Bestseller, #1 Indie Next Pick for January 2018, Barnes & Noble Discover Great New Writers Selection, #1 Library Reads pick, and Amazon Best Book of the Month.

Her first novel, THE ANATOMY OF DREAMS (Atria, 2014), received the Edna Ferber Fiction Book Award and was longlisted for the 2014 Flaherty-Dunnan First Novel Prize.

Her n
“Most adults claim not to believe in magic, but Klara knows better. Why else would anyone play at permanence--fall in love, have children, buy a house--in the face of all evidence there's no such thing?” 30 likes
“She understands, too, the loneliness of parenting, which is the loneliness of memory—to know that she connects a future unknowable to her parents with a past unknowable to her child.” 30 likes