Start by marking “Merciless (Age of Conquest, #1)” as Want to Read:
Merciless (Age of Conquest, #1)

Merciless

(Age of Conquest #1)

The Wulfriths. It all began with a woman.

A battle. A crown. The conqueror. The conquered. Medieval England—forever changed by the Battle of Hastings. And the rise of the formidable Wulfriths.

An honorable Norman
Chevalier Cyr D’Argent convinced himself he joined Duke William’s invasion of England to reform its church and place its rightful king on the throne. But after a dec
Published November 16th 2018 by Tamara Leigh

To ask other readers questions about Merciless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Merciless

Ronie
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Le sigh. Just brilliant writing and story.
Anne
Oct 11, 2018 marked it as to-read
A new series featuring the Wulfriths? HELL TO THE FREAKING YES.
Sarah Monzon
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Aaaaah!!!! SO GOOD!! This book has everything you ever want—intrigue, warrior heroes, strong heroines, wealth of history gleaming from every page, and romance. Oh the romance. I do not believe in soul mates or love at first sight but I DO believe in Cyr and Aelfled. Can’t wait for more books in this series! One of my favorite books this year.
Susan Snodgrass
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I was so excited to read this book. Very excited. I love Leigh's medieval tales, but this one didn't grab me as her others did. Much too busy and chaotic for me. I just could not get with it. But I will continue to read her books.
Sarah Grass
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
I don't mean this review to be negative, but constructive so the author can consider how many readers are struggling with recent books, if she is interested.

THICK "medieval speak" is the main problem. I really dont understand how it can get past the editors, honestly. With every novel it's only getting worse. Plodding through convoluted and confusing passive sentences that I have to continually reread to disect meaning is not how I like to enjoy a good novel! I imagine the author thinks she is a
Rosanne Lortz
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Battle of Hastings is over. Norman lord Cyr d'Argent is out to gather his dead when he meets a Saxon woman on the same errand. He extends protection to Aelfled of Wulfen, keeping her from any harm at the hands of pillagers, but his kindness does little to assuage her guilt, for it is Aelfled's fault that has led to the death of her mistress' beloved son. Cyr himself has just as little satisfaction--the enigmatic Saxon beauty disappears into the mists and he can find no trace of the body of h ...more
Fiction Aficionado
Oh my word! Never mind merciless; I’m breathless! Can medieval fiction possibly get any better than this? It’s no secret I’m a huge fan of Tamara Leigh’s Age of Faith series—it’s probably one of my all-time favourite series ever—but this series is already set to join it. The history, the characters, the romance—it’s just. So. Good!

There can’t be many more compelling historical periods to write about than the Norman conquest, but even so, Tamara Leigh takes that setting and capitalises on the inh
Bess
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
While it did take me a while to get through this one, that is of no fault of Ms. Leigh. I had so much on my mind, that I ended up rereading half the book due to missing details. With that said, I thoroughly enjoy this first in the "story-behind-the-story" of the Wulfirth's. I cannot wait to see what happens next!
This book has an ending. However, there is an excerpt for the next book. That section is cliff-hanging due to the fact that it is just a sample of what is to come.
I really liked Cyr. I t
Kim  Gregory
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Most of this story has little romance in it, compared to a lot of Tamara's stories. The is the story of Cyr De'Argent and his brothers, and cousins. After the battle of Hastings, Cyr is going through the dead looking for his brothers and uncle. Near his uncle's body he finds a woman weeping over a boy. Aelfled is the maid of her lady's son, who lies in her arms. She was watching over the lad when he slipped away to the battle with four of his friends, all of them died. Her guilt ties her to her ...more
Patti Wolff
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I've read all of Leigh's medieval romances, including the entire Age of Faith series and the time travel novels, as well. I love them all; The Feud series compelled me to read her other medieval romances. I liked this, but it is not like her other novels. As others have stated, this was heavy on the Saxon-Norman conflict, and a bit light on the romance. That didn't distress me so much, as I find the Norman Invasion interesting. However, the language was so confusing it took me ages to finish the ...more
Glenda Parker
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My review today is on the Medieval Romance, Merciless. This is the first book of the Age Of Conquest Series. I couldn't wait to get my hands on this book. It was my Birthday present to my self (I just don't buy books) but I love Tamara's books. This book is well written, action packed, and full of romance. I loved it. I know you will too.

After the Battle of Hastings, England is in turmoil, Chevaliar Cyr D'Argent (Merciless Cyr) and his family come to England to fight for the Norman cause. They w
Marylin
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In 2018, when Tamara Leigh released the last book in the Age of Faith series, many fans grieved because we had grown to love these medieval tales she had spun.
So now, we are more than overjoyed because she has introduced us to the “beginning” of the Wulfrith clan and “it all started with a woman.”

Just like in the other stories I have been spell-bound by all this author writes!
Her stories have bigger than life heroes and heroines, who you will come to love and cherish. These characters may at f
Amy
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!!
Shelves: 2019
MERCY! MERCY!! It's taken me a few days to write this review as I don't know how to adequately put into words how truly wonderful this story was. I continue to savor this fantastically written tale days after closing the back cover and to be honest I want to immediately read it all over again.

I fell hard for the Wulfrith clan in "The Unveiling" (Book #1 in Age of Faith series) and getting a peek at how, where and especially WHO they descended from made my medieval-lovin' heart beat even faster.
Valerie
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I feel very privileged to have discovered Tamara Leigh's medieval love stories, they are top notch. There was a (thankfully) very brief misstep when the hero proposed, which was out of character for him as we got to know him in this story, but not enough to drop a star, because he quickly fixed his mistake, but other than that, there were no flaws, none!
I loved the honest-to-himself hero, and the caught-between-two-paths heroine who was not mindlessly feisty.
I loved the just right wedding night
Rebekah
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good mideaval read

This is a pretty typical Tamara Leigh book. If you like her stories you will like this one. I had a hard time with the characters, at first. There were so many characters it took a while to get them straight. I know that Leigh is laying the ground for multiple stories in this series, and I am excited to read more about the D'Argent family. I just had a harder time getting into this one.

Content: Typical of this author. No sex before marriage and not descriptive, but definitely
Thestoryenthusiast
I was thrilled when I learned Tamara was writing a new origin series for the Wulfiths. This first book did not disappoint. I'm a huge fan of Tamara's books, but this is definitely my favorite in recent years. Cyr d'Argent is such a dichotomy, a warrior whose heart has been softened through his faith with compassion. I loved the special connection he and Aelfled shared, similar to soul mates. And I found the secondary characters, mostly Cyr's family intriguing. I'm looking forward to learning mor ...more
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not just a prequel, but the first of a series of prequels

So I thought this was just a prequel to the Age of Faith series, but it is actually part of a whole series that prequels. In a way, this was disappointing because I spent a lot of time questioning the gaps in the book which are going to be presumably read in the (I am making a guess here based on the key characters) next five/six books or so. On the other hand, being a big Tamara Leigh fan, this is exciting news as it will keep me anticipa
Karen Allen
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Norman/Saxon struggles live and breathe within these pages.

Once again Leigh leaves her readers thirsting for more. This book brings to life the exilerating tale of how the courageous, honorable Wulfrith Knights came to be. Tamara Leigh brings to life a tale of Saxon revenge, grief, loss of faith, mixed with a Norman code of honor and integrity. Love does conquer all. A must-read for the Norman Conquest fans and Age of Faith fans.
Claire Palin
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think she is a great author and I will always enjoy her books, but I kind lost interest after the wedding scene. However before then I was gripped and the characters were well developed, and who does not love a protective hero. It is definitely worth a read.

My favourite so far of all her books has got to be THE RAVELING: A Medieval Romance (Age of Faith Book 8) that gets 5 stars and more. ❤ 📖
Mikal Dawn
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How rich a read!

Rich in language, imagery, setting, and love. I can never say enough about the talent that is Tamara Leigh, and this Wulfrith origins story--blessedly the first in a series--doesn't disappoint. Be prepared to be swept away into rich historical facts, a setting so heartbreaking and beautiful, and characters that just make you want to savor their love story.

A beautiful read you don't want to miss.
Nicole
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome start to a new series by (in my opinion) the queen of medieval fiction-Tamara Leigh!
Full of that trademark grit, tension, action and drama that I can expect from this author.
I just finished it and I am trying to figure out how I will come with the reading hangover I will be having. But WORTH IT! I can hardly wait fo the next one in the series!!!
Sharon
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
The narrative of this tale is very emotive and that's only partly due to the time period and setting. It kicks off with the horrendous immediate aftermath on one of England's bloodiest battlefields ever on October 14, 1066 when emotions are running super-high. The author brings out of this backdrop some intriguing characters and plots twists that make this story a captivating page turner.
Dee
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic opening to the new series

This is not a quick read book, not too be devoured but to be savoured over several days . The style of writing was reflective to the times and therefore more authentic. Tamara has set the stage for the next two books and I am thoroughly looking forward to them.
Michelle Bailey
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book 1

I always eagerly await Tamara's books, And she never disappoints. I never know whether to pace my reading or continue long into the night. The story draws you in and you never want to leave, the characters are strong and their faith subtle. Merciless sets the stage for many more storylines and late nights.
Laura McClellan
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Worth the wait

Quintessential Leigh. Characters who live and breathe on the page, in dilemmas that keep you turning pages long after you should have been asleep. Tamara Leigh brings history alive. I can’t wait for the release of book 2.
Kyleann Hawkins
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved the mystery!

I enjoyed this love story, especially the unique connection between the hero and heroine. Theirs is not your typical live at first sight. I highly recommend this book.
Gretchen
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another winner from Tamara Leigh! I love her historical romances and this one is no exception. Great character development and interaction. I eagerly await the next tale in this series and learning more about another D’Argent brother (and a little checking in on Cyr and Aelfled, please? :) ).
Lisa
Dec 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Another rousing mediveal adventure
Lucy (That Book Gal)
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ina Clarke
Mar 30, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Tamara Leigh holds a Masters Degree in Speech and Language Pathology. In 1993, she signed a 4-book contract with Bantam Books. Her first medieval romance, Warrior Bride, was released in 1994. Continuing to write for the general market, three more novels were published with HarperCollins and Dorchester and earned awards and spots on national bestseller lists.

In 2006, Tamara’s first inspirational co

Age of Conquest (2 books)
  • Fearless (Age of Conquest, #2)