Start by marking “Friends Like These” as Want to Read:
Friends Like These

Friends Like These

We all know someone like Becca.

She has the job everyone wants, a designer wardrobe, a hot-shot lawyer boyfriend, holidays to exotic locations. And she flaunts her perfect life all over social media.

It drove her colleague Lizzie mad, but she couldn't stop looking. They were never really friends - and yet Lizzie knew everything about her.

Or did she?

When chance, and a terribl
Published December 13th 2018 by Mulholland Books

To ask other readers questions about Friends Like These, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Friends Like These

Bibi
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Blimey

You can’t trust any of the characters in this book. Nothing is as it seems. Just hold on to your hats, and hope to finish it unscathed!
Mark
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Ever sent a ‘bitchy’ message to the wrong person on Facebook?
This book will make sure you NEVER do again!
After a slightly confusing start, that all makes sense once you’re into the book this story becomes deliciously clever and breathtaking
I am going to say nothing about the plot or the slightest hint at well anything as I would want anyone who reads this book to be as outraged and as uncomfortably outfoxed as I was throughout, time after time 😃😃
I will say the descriptions of Facebook are 100%
Jayme
3.75 entertaining stars (rounded up)

The latest book to deal with social media and revenge starts with a frantic 999 call:

Excerpt:

Female Caller: (whispered) I think she’s outside the door...I can hear her. Oh God, please hurry up.

Operator: The police will be there any minute. Stay on the line with me. Can you tell me what’s happening? Who is it that’s got the knife?

0:44:16-unclear-series of bangs-followed by a crash

Female Caller: No!

Operator: Hello? Are you there?

0:53:33-screams

Told in 5 p
Umut Reviews
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it
It was a juicy thriller that made me turn the pages especially first half of it.
The second half became a bit predictable, and there were some issues with the plot and the twist. There were too few characters that made the case simple.

All in all, if you're looking for a quick, entertaining thriller without any trigger warnings, this is a good option. But, it's not the most imaginative, creative and solid plot. Still, the very end surprised me a bit.

Thanks a lot to the publisher for a copy of t
Lou
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Friends Like These, Sarah Alderson's debut thriller, attracted me as it uses the fallibility of technology and human error as the precipitator in the demise of Lizzie and was exactly what I needed - a technothriller that is intense, captivating and very cleverly written. The dual perspectives of Lizzie and Becca allow the reader to understand the vastly different thoughts and feelings that each character is experiencing. This is a tense psychological thriller that is a helluva ride with twists a ...more
Dita
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A cautionary tale on crack. This will make you check and double check every Facebook message you send.

Lizzie is boozily FB stalking an old co-worker, Becca, and makes some juicy discoveries. She sends her friend, Flora, a gossipy, besauchy FB message updating her on Becca's new life, her "Gollum looking" baby, etc., and when she wakes up the next day her life goes to absolute hell. She realizes that she accidentally sent the update to Becca, not Flora and well....revenge is swift, disproportion
Mandy White
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
You won't know who to trust - and you'll never guess the twists... that is the tagline for this book and it is so true!! Friends Like These by Sarah Alderson was a book that I could not wait to finish - I had to know how it was going to end! I did not see it coming. Be careful when sending bitchy messages on social media - you don't want this to happen to you!! Characters that we believable, untrustworthy and nasty all at the same time. You don't want to miss this one.

Becca and Lizzie were work
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
We all have stalked someone on social media. We all have possibly portrayed our online lives to be happier and better than real life. What happens when someone disrupts that life? How do you make them pay? Lizzie is about to find out.

Basically y'all, bitches be CRAZY. This is a fun, quick read for those who like the crazy … and I DO. It does go off the rails towards the end but I didn't mind it at all. Lessons learned: never take social media life for real life. Make sure the message you're send
Vicki
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
I absolutely love a creepy, crazy, twisted character and Friends Like These has two of them. This book was RIGHT up my street. I loved this book and was utterly gripped from beginning to end.

It starts with a 999 transcript, with no indication of who’s making the call. The book then backtracks five days and we discover the events that lead to that terrifying and frantic call. It’s kind of like you know how it will end, but the need to know just how and who really drives this book, making it such
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow this book was excellent. It had so many twists which were brilliant - they had me in shock. The whole story was great and was put together extremely well. I couldn’t wait to find out what was going to happen next. The ending was brilliant and unexpected and it made me love the book even more. I definitely recommend this book. It’s one of my favourites.
Brandy
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
#bitchinread #justenuffpyscho

First impressions are everything they say; a bad first impression can lead to deadly consequences or at least that’s how the story goes in Friends Like These.

Friends Like These is a warped, tangled, twisty tale, staring a wicked femme fatale who’s hell-bent on getting her revenge! Will she get it? A must read to find out!!!❤❤4 stars
Maria Lee
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found this book drew me in immediately as the style of writing was excellent. It dealt with female rivalry, envy, revenge starting in the workplace. I didn’t particularly like either of the main characters: Becca, a beautiful girl with a ‘so-called’ perfect life; and Lizzie, an envious, rather frumpy girl with a boring life.

The story was thrilling and I was very keen to continue reading it into the early hours. I did get a tad confused at times but it did not detract from my enjoyment of the b
Jasprit
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m not normally one to pick up psychological thrillers, but when it comes to Alderson’s books, I have no hesitation in picking them up, and I’m glad that I ended up giving this book a go, because it seriously messes with your head (in the best way!). Alderson works the unreliable narrator role work so well here, the book starts off with a chapter from an unknown perspective, we don’t really know what’s going on, but as the book progresses you’re led to believe the narrator’s voice. She’s been t ...more
YC
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: next
Entertaining thriller. The twists kept coming, but without being too outlandish. Really enjoyed how the plot progressed. Recommend this book!
Lucy Banks
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

A smart, gripping examination of the perils and pressures of social media.

Social media is an intriguing thing, isn't it? The psychology behind it - why people choose to present themselves as unrealistically perfect; it's a bizarre concept and one that society seems to have fully bought into, as this author has noticed.

Lizzie, a successful, beautiful woman, wasn't always this way. She's had to work hard to get where she is, and it's
Sheri
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it
While I found Friends Like These to be quite an addictive read, it ultimately left me with mixed feelings, and I think I enjoyed the first half of the book more than the second. My initial reaction to the “twist” was some doubts as to whether the author had entirely played fair with the reader; however on balance, I think she did.

Like a lot of current novels, it seems, the plot is steeped in social media - it’s clearly hugely important in many people’s lives and also, with its potential for mani
Fee (Ebook Addicts)
We have all done it, admit it, we have looked up someone we used to know and before we know it we are months into their social media feed and then accidentally we like a post or photo. EEEK! Well for Lizzie she goes that one step further and accidentally sends a bitchy message to Becca - the girl who she has been snooping on, on social media, which was inteneded for her co-worker and friend. From there it all spirals out of control.

You will be hooked on this book from the get go, and you will so
Adele Shea
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a book that keeps you on your toes and has lots of twists and turns, then look no further than Sarah Alderson's Friends Like These. This is one of those books that you don't want to put down until the very last page.
gem
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well this book was one heck of a ride!

Single White Female meets Gone Girl with the gloss of a perfect insta life makes this an incredibly modern and accessible psychological thriller.

3 years ago Becca had a terrible accident which changed her life forever, whilst Lizzie has been striving to change herself and her life for the better.
The two former co-workers come into contact again after Lizzie mistakenly sends her a message on Facebook (oh god, who hasn’t accidentally text or emailed the wrong
Meredith Mara
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 :) Flew through this one in less than 24h. There's nothing like a great psychological thrillers with a female antagonist.
Melissa Borsey
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
A highly addictive read! Enjoyed from beginning to end!
Lady Delacour
This book is in my
Favorite Genre,
Nuttersville! ♪♪
Listened with TTS.
Not Clean.
Foul Language.
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
I thought from the summary of the book that this would be a psychological thriller perhaps with something new and interesting to say about the superficial nature of social media and how no-one ever really knows what goes on behind the camera. However, I didn't feel that the summary really matched up with the books content.
The main protagonist, Lizzie is a hideous character, even before she reveals her true nature, and I didn't really feel that I got to know anything about Becca at all. The stor
Vanessa
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-x
What a Book Friends Like These by Sarah Alderson was. It was an easy book to read with lots of twists and Turns and it left you wondering who to trust!? The ending I didn't see that coming and was perfect to end the book.

Lizzie and Becca were work colleges, and were not close. However, Becca was a girl who everyone loved and she seems to have everything, even a perfect boyfriend, until she suffered a life changing injury whilst at a party and everything around Becca had to changed. She disappear
Audrey Gibson
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW what an amazing story. This is a very current book in regards to social media!!!! I was totally hooked from beginning to end and couldn't put it down. I highly recommended you read this book.
Breakaway Reviewers
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
How dangerous can it be to send a message on Facebook to the wrong person?

Becca has it all; she is blond and beautiful, has a fantastic figure and a boyfriend who is gorgeous as well as romantic. And she constantly posts gushing updates about what they are up to on Facebook. But at the office Christmas cocktail party she falls down the stairs and cracks her skull and face on the marble floor. She is in a coma for months and when she recovers, she takes the compensation pay-out from work, disappe
Dawn
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lizzie works hard as an accountant and is slightly envious of Becca. Becca is beautiful and aloof with the perfect man and perfect instagram life until an accident and she is no longer around. Until Becca finds her on social media and mistakenly sends her a message meant for someone else. Soon Lizzie is in a bad situation that leaves her fighting for her life.
Wow! This is one of those books that has the page that turns the whole book around and you curse the characters, the book, the author and
Donna Weber
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-1-2-stars
3 1/2 Stars
Mary
Oct 21, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a cleverly written and well plotted thriller. It tells the story of Lizzie, an accountant working at a London PR agency and how she searches for her former colleague, Becca, who had suffered a terrible accident during the work's party. Lizzie finds that Becca is now running a successful interior design company and comes complete with good looking husband and baby daughter. Piqued by jealousy Lizzie thinks she has emailed some snide remarks to her friend Flora when in fact she sent the me ...more
Paula Stammers
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-read
After reading this book you will definitely be checking who you are sending messages to via social media !!

It all begins when Lizzie sends a Facebook message to the wrong person. Although she apologises it is too late and her life suddenly starts to fall apart. Where will it all end ?

I don’t really want to say too much about the plot as I think it’s a book you just need to read. It’s a great psychological thriller with modern day issues as the basis. Expect some dark twists and turns throughout
  • He Will Find You
  • The Tall Man
  • The Second Wife
  • Too Close: A new kind of thriller that will leave you breathless
  • Tarnished
  • Hush Hush (DS Grace Allendale, #1)
  • The Day I Lost You
  • The Party
  • Stalker
  • The Family at Number 13
  • The Next Girl (Detective Gina Harte, #1)
  • The Pool House
  • Closer
Having spent most of her life in London, Sarah quit her job in the non profit sector in 2009 and took off on a round the world trip with her husband and princess-obsessed daughter on a mission to find a new place to call home. After several months in India, Singapore, Australia and the US, they settled in Bali where they lived for five years.

She finished her first novel, Hunting Lila (winner of th