Start by marking “Telegram For Mrs. Mooney (Tommy Mooney Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Telegram For Mrs. Mooney (Tommy Mooney Mystery #1)

Telegram For Mrs. Mooney

(Tommy Mooney Mystery #1)

THROUGH THE HAZE OF WAR COMES AN UNEXPECTED HERO.

On the same day that France surrenders to the Nazis, Jack Mooney--a New Yorker, barely out of high school--hitches a ride to Montreal, where he enlists as a pilot in the Royal Canadian Air Force. The last thing he says to his little brother before leaving home is, "Don't forget me, kid."

Two years later a telegram arrives:
Published June 16th 2018 by Foxford Press

To ask other readers questions about Telegram For Mrs. Mooney, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Telegram For Mrs. Mooney

Start your review of Telegram For Mrs. Mooney (Tommy Mooney Mystery #1)
Nathaniel Spencer
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the most important qualities in writing certain types of fiction is the impression that the reader is plausibly in the mind, and the world, of characters. Cate M. Ruane's first book does this suberbly. "Telegram For Mrs. Mooney" is an impressively well-researched wartime adventure story of a 12-year-old boy searching for his brother Jack, a Spitfire pilot downed in Nazi-occupied Belgium. But it's not just the historical accuracy (you really do get the sense of being in wartime Europe) ...more
Andrea Roth
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Exciting

A definite page-turner. Young readers shall be encouraged with the courage, bravery and ingenuity of the main character. I certainly am and I am a grandmother! Good luck in all your endeavors, Miss Cate. Thank you for this artful depiction. #buckroth
John Molloy
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Easy read, a story of fiction and adventure for the teenager. It is on the lines of a Treasure Island update.
Mark
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Telegram For Mrs. Mooney" is a tense, fast-moving story that nonetheless is full of fun, suspense and surprises. It's a good summer read.. especially, I think, for teenagers and the young at heart.

The story is set in the late summer and fall of 1942. Western Europe is controlled by German forces, reports are beginning to surface of the killing of Jews in concentration camps, and the U.S. has yet to land any of their own military forces on the continent.

12-year-old Tommy Mooney narrates the
Don
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
The basic premise of this book is that a 12-year-old boy from NYC learns that his older brother, a fighter pilot in the RAF Eagle Squadron, has been shot down over Nazi-occupied Belgium. The boy runs away from home, stows away aboard a yacht heading to England, then finds his older brothers English fiance’, and the two then steal a speedboat to cross the English Channel to rescuer his brother and her fiance’. Along the way, they meet various French and Belgian people who help them out, including ...more
Marlene  Moore
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Telegram For Mrs. Mooney

I wasn't too sure about this book to start with. I almost gave up because it was so juvenile. The grammar was horrible and it felt like a child's story. As you get much deeper into the story, you see that it does include the war in all its horrors. It becomes more about a rescue mission and survival in enemy territory. It turned out to be an ok story plot. Still I feel it would be great for a pre-teen or teenager.
Joyce Fraccaro
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Although the main characters get themselves in and out of dangerous Nazi situations with incredible ease, I did get a little bored reading and knowing that the book would end up with a happy ending. Saying this, it is based on true historical happenings and is inspired by true people. I will probably read the next two books because the characters, although at times, incredulous, are endearing.
Steve
Sep 26, 2018 added it
Excellent book, A real page turner about a young boy who runs away during WWII to try to find and rescue his older brother who was shot down in Europe. His travails as he manages to cross the channel and the adventures he has and people he meets while on his quest.
Geraldine Rubin
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great

Read. First time reading this author. Me Ruane pulls you into the story. Characters are interesting. Tommy reminds me of the mischief my own younger brother got into although I don't think he would have journey on his own into a war. Looking forward to reading more from this author.
Pam Whitman-Madden
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. A wonderful story and excitingly told. It's a story everyone would enjoy. I have a new favorite author. Recommend, recommend, if you want to lose yourself in an exciting story.
Rebecca
Oct 27, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: own-a-copy
Free on Kindle
louis perez
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am impressed

I read a lot and critique just as much. For me to date this 5 stars is saying a lot. I enjoyed it in spite of some of it being highly unlikely. Enough facts mix with the fiction to overlook that as it is a novel. Then I find out the author is from Long island and now lives in Asheville. I am com Long Island and live one hour south of Asheville!!
J.D. Schechter
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One fun story

A 'young adult' story written for adults and guaranteed to make snowflakes heads explode. Except for some bad dialect, very enjoyable
Elba M
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a pleasant surprise. I saw it and bought for my Kindle to complete a reading challenge.
The first 50 pages weren't that great. I even thought that it was a middle grade book, but once the adventure started it turned very interesting.
Tommy's family lived in USA, they got a telegram about his brother Jack. He was MIA. Tommy didn't believe it and came with a plan to rescue his brother.
Tommy showed how clever and tenacious he was. He managed to get from the States to England. In
Michelle Orndorff
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting and Very Cute!

This is an almost lo st@

This is an almost-true story about an American kid who ran away to German-occupied Europe to search for his downed pilot brother. His many adventures are believable. There were only 39 incorrect words (and one more in the Book 2 preview), which is pretty good for a self-published novel.

MarleneJS
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adventure!

A twelve-year-old boy leaves home at risk to search for his brother who was shot down over Belgium as a WWII aviator. Based on true events and people, it reads like a movie and lets you experience the time and peoples in jeopardy.
Dennis
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
The story is told by a 12 year old boy so the novel has the feel of a young adult novel. However, I really enjoyed the read and would recommend this book to anyone who would like a story with not as much of the heavy series side of World War II.
Susan Collins
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Can't put it down.

Four stars for this book. Keeps you glued to the pages. Looking forward to the next in the series. I usually don't get the next book but this one is the exception.
Kimberleigh
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I was looking for a read aloud for my 5th graders. Although it's not a good fit for that, I do think this is a good book to recommend to middle school boys who are into history as well as reluctant readers.
Marisa
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book surprised me and kept me hooked until the last page. When one starts reading you certainly dont think that young Tommy's plans are going to reach fruition but through sheer determination,grit and a few hail marys he does. Shall definitely be looking for the second book.
Meg Shufran
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very different. I enjoyed it.
Kris Bryant
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Deep and Delightful Story - Well Worth Reading!

I absolutely loved this book! The story and writing style are fresh and immaginative, the storyline has plenty of surprise twists that keep it interesting, the characters are engaging, just everything about it is good. The author must be phenomenally creative to be able to think this stuff up, much less write it. I don't think I've ever read a book that was so creatively written. The dialog is ingenious. I kept having to stop and read sections out
Vicki Longfield
Aug 14, 2018
glenn c woodrich
Nov 25, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Orphan Train Escape (Hearts On The Rails, #1)
  • Orphan Train Trials (Hearts on the Rails, #2)
  • Texas Roads (Miller's Creek #1)
  • Meant for Me (The Carlyle Women #1)
  • The Bend in Redwood Road (Missing Pieces, #1)
  • The Lost Spear (Lost #0.5)
  • 1914 (The War Years Book 1)
  • Not by Sight (Stone River #1)
  • An Unwelcome Guest (Penny Green Series Book 7)
  • Ashes of Life
  • Web of Deceit (Dewey Webb Private Investigator #1)
  • Borrowed Dreams (Scottish Dreams, #1)
  • Forceful Intent (Porter, #1)
  • A Cowboy's Reunion (Family Ties, #1)
  • Dose Vidanya (Silver Hills Cozy Mysteries #1)
  • Cozy Mystery 7 Book Set: Cats, Cupcakes & Killers
  • Lady Justice and the Living Trust (Lady Justice, #37)
  • The Maid’s Secret (Penny Green #3)

Tommy Mooney Mystery (3 books)
  • Message For Hitler (Tommy Mooney Mystery #2)
  • Letter Via Paris (Tommy Mooney Mystery #3)