Start by marking “War Girls (War Girls, #1)” as Want to Read:
War Girls (War Girls, #1)

War Girls

(War Girls #1)

Two sisters are torn apart by war and must fight their way back to each other in a futuristic, Black Panther–inspired Nigeria.

The year is 2172. Climate change and nuclear disasters have rendered much of earth unlivable. Only the lucky ones have escaped to space colonies in the sky.

In a war-torn Nigeria, battles are fought using flying, deadly mechs and soldiers are outfit
Expected publication: October 15th 2019 by Razorbill

Win a Copy of This Book

• War Girls by Tochi Onyebuchi
    War Girls (War Girls, #1)
    Release date: Oct 15, 2019
    Enter to win an advance reading copy of WAR GIRLS by Tochi Onyebuchi!

(No PO boxes please)

Two sisters are torn apart by war and must fight their way ba

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 21 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Sep 15 - Oct 14, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

Julie
    Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I’m ashamed to admit that I went into reading WAR GIRLS knowing almost nothing about the Nigerian Civil War that ravaged the country in the late 1960s, following a declaration of secession and resulting in the displacement and death by famine of countless millions.
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
    I held my breath through much of this book. It’s the story of two sisters, Onyii and Ify, who find each other on opposite sides of a devastating war, and explores the way violence ripples through lives, particularly those of c
    ♠️ TABI ♠️
    Mar 23, 2019 marked it as to-read
    *clutches book to chest and strokes the cover lovingly whilst crooning under my breath all the love songs I can think of*
    MeaganCM
    Mar 23, 2019 marked it as anticipated-release-tbr
    LOOK AT THIS GORGEOUS COVER! This is going to be fucking amazing!
    Anja H.
    Jul 19, 2019 marked it as to-read
    "Black Panther–inspired Nigeria."
    ...
    ...
    *adds to list*
    Amber (The Book Bratz)
    The full review + more can be found at The Book Bratz

I received an ARC of WAR GIRLS are BookExpo 2019!

I met Tochi ass BookExpo this year and though I wasn't familiar with his previous works he was incredibly fun to talk to and was down to earth. He was also super excited to talk with everyone who was on his signing line and made sure that everyone was able to have their moment to talk to him. I didn't know about War Girls until the cover reveal and ever since then I KNEW that I just had to rea
    The Artisan Geek
    Mar 29, 2019 marked it as to-read
    29/3/19
    A scifi in Nigeria?? About two sisters and their bond?! WHAT?! My heart has dropped! This is freaking awesome, maybe I am biased because I'm Nigerian, but damn! I love how there is so much more diversity coming out in the literary world the past few years. The young girl inside of me that dreamed of reading stuff like is squealing!

You can find me on
    Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Website
    Stewart Tame
    Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
    For what the information is worth, I won a free ARC of this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

As you’d surmise from the title, we have war and we have girls. The setting is Africa--specifically a war between Biafra and Nigeria. The year is 2172. Our two main viewpoint characters are Iffy and Onyii. The back cover calls them sisters, but their relationship is almost more mother-daughter. Onyii is fiercely protective of the younger Iffy. A surprise Nigerian attack on their camp leads to their separati
    Erin
    Sep 05, 2019 is currently reading it
    Received through Bookish. com
    Amber
    Disclaimer: I received this book for free from BookCon 2019 and Razorbill in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

At the beginning, I was absolutely enthralled with War Girls. The first hundred pages hooked me. The characters were interesting and the world building was fascinating. A lot of science fiction coming out these days feels copy/pasted. The language and setting feel the same – that’s not the case with War Girls.

The scien
    Saloni
    Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it
    Thank you to Penguin Random House Books for providing me a copy of this book at BEA 2019 and thank you to Tochi Onyebuchi for signing my copy!

I love what this book stands for. Generally, I think science fiction featuring people of color is something we need more of. I love the plot and story of this book, seeing the sisters Onyii and Ify be separated by warring countries and attempt to reconfigure the biases told by their native countries about the opposing one.

However, I will admit that there
    ☄ ari
    May 30, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: anticipating
    this cover is literally........ Everything.
    Joey De La Torre
    Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Reading it backwards made it better. ⏪

If you just want to read my review, then scroll down ⬇. But I’m going to go off on a small tangent here first, because I feel like I should explain myself:

So as previously mentioned, I read this book backwards (literally). I started at the end and read each chapter in reverse order 🤪 (don’t judge me, I had my reasons). Admittedly, this was an experiment. Partially because I was just curious. Primarily because of the way I read, I often find myself rereading
    Viral
    Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Thanks to Penguin Random House for the ARC at BEA 2019, and to Tochi Onyebuchi for signing my copy!

This middle grade Afro sci-fi novel left me feeling two different ways. On one hand, I thought it very expertly handled a lot of important and difficult topics, from state and sectarian violence and the legacy of colonialism to predatory resource extraction, detention, incarceration, and bio-augmentation. It's important for diversity in a field that can be sorely lacking in it, and it's got an inte
    temi ★
    my heart is racing just from that cover

i hope tochi has brushed up on his writing since beasts made of night. and this book BETTER not have a n y romance in it. i just want two girls having a fun hecking time
    Jess the Bookish Person
    *ARC provided by PenguinTeen Canada. Thanks to them!*

DNF @ 23%

Unfortunately, I really didn’t like this book. From the first page, I felt like it wasn’t going to be my type of story but I wanted to give it a try. So I gave it 100 pages before I couldn’t do it anymore.

I’m very sad because I did have high hopes for this book. With the “Black Panther-inspired Nigeria” and the GORGEOUS cover, I had every hope in the world to love this. But I just didn’t.

I didn’t care about any of the characters, the
    Scottie Draughon
    Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Disclaimer: I received this book during Book Expo. The opinions in this review are my own!

Based on the Nigerian Civil War, WAR GIRLS is the story of Onyii, a child soldier in the Biafran Army, and Ify, a girl who is for all intents and purposes her sister. The novel spans years as the girls navigate the war, their own relationships, and the world as they know it. It’s horrible and beautiful and moving as the reader follows the girls coming of age in a world that seems determined to fall apart.
    Emily
    Sep 14, 2019 rated it liked it
    War Girls brings us to Nigeria in the year 2172, right in the midst of a civil war. Battles are fought with massive humanoid robots and in order to protect from the radiation filled climate people have outfitted themselves with bionic limbs and artificial organs. War Girls is the story of two sisters, Onyii and Ify, who are torn apart and find themselves on opposite sides of the war. It explores the impact war and violence has on people's lives, particularly the lives of children, innocent child ...more
    Angela Staudt
    Sep 15, 2019 rated it liked it
    I received an ARC from BookishFirst in exchange for an honest review.

War Girls follows Onyii and Ify two sisters in a war torn world. The book takes place in 2172 where there was a nuclear war. I honestly had such high hopes for this book, especially because the cover is so beautiful and looks promising.

I didn’t like this book as much as I had hoped. I love anything and everything fantasy, and I was very excited to read about a futuristic world that has been through so much. I honestly had so ma
    Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: dystopian
    I really, really wanted to like this. The description sounded so good. But it just dragged so much for me. I have a thing about finishing books, so I kept going, but it wasn't until about the last 60 pages that I started to actually *want* to keep reading. I didn't feel like I really got to know either of the two main characters and I never really felt like I understood the war situation either. Reading the author's note at the end about how the war in this book was in large part based on the Ni ...more
    Leah Rachel von Essen
    Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
    WAR GIRLS is a dynamic, propulsive YA dystopia heavily rooted in the source material and impact of the little-known Biafran War, or the Nigerian Civil War, that took place in the 1960s. It features former child soldier Onyii, War Girl destined to become the Demon of Biafra, and her adopted younger sister Ify, an inventor with her eyes towards the stars. The two find themselves on separate sides of the raging war.

Onyebuchi's novel is epic, rich science fiction. The characters and the world-buildi
    Sharon S
    Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: octpubdate
    Action-packed, thought-provoking, dynamic, conversational.

Wow, this novel is filled with action that starts from the first chapter, when they hunt for rations then intensifies from there until the shocking end. The pilot military scene with Onyii is my favorite part. I also loved the fantastic technical world building, blew my mind, multiple times I found myself uttering, "wow."

The added realistic element about the Nigerian Civil War, made me ponder about wars we don't know about, hidden in our
    KateT
    I had a hard time finishing this book for multiple reasons. First, I don’t enjoy reading dystopian books and the subject matter of girls being forced to kill in a war is very difficult to read about.

The author shines a light on a part of history I had no idea about. I think for those like myself who are not familiar with the Nigerian Civil War, the story might be confusing when it comes to the two factions.

The writing was amazing as was the world building looking at the two factions and how di
    Courtney
    Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I received an ARC of this book from the publisher via Edelweiss.

This book is a story unlike any other I've read. While the novel tells the story of the Nigerian Civil War through robots, mechs, kick butt ladies, it also tells a story of the horrors of war and how nobody wins. Onyii takes on so much physical and emotional pain as she fights for her people.

Onyii and Ify are heartbreaking characters on so many levels. Separated due to war, Onyii becomes inconsolable about the loss and turns to "Chu
    Zally
    Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I think this is a must read for anyone interested in African Sci-fi literature. Not only does the author weave the real world history of Nigeria into the story but makes learning more about the real world location of this story imbed into the minds of the readers.

This story is full of suspense; two sisters caught on opposite sides of a brutal war is something that I think can resonate in a lot of different cultures but for those of us who remembers the wars in Africa in the 90s brings up memorie
    Kristey
    Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Crazy action packed from page one and I can’t wait to read the rest of this series!!

This book was a beast but luckily the fast paced nature of the story kept me coming back for me.

I loved the added historical aspects of the Nigerian Civil War was incredibly captivating and twisted a hind of realism into the story and really made we want to google further information about historical facts pertaining to that war.

The bond and dynamic between the two sisters, Onyii and Ify, was captivating and h
    Jessica Darden
    Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
    The futuristic plot instantly grabs at you with all the wording of bots, tech, and machinery. It has a familiarity Of the real world with kids playing and the hunger pangs of one of the characters. The feelings the main characters she let’s on seem they are human feelings reaching out to the robot world.
    I was drawn in by descriptions of everything. The robot arms, the compression bras and “her skin the color of sand”. The writer gives you beautiful imagery.
    I am learning about Nigeria. New word
    Lakesha Foster
    Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Wow! this story is very interesting to read. I like how people have to fight for survival. The main character is a fighter. She lives in a world that robotic organs help them to survive longer. I like how the sample story explore the main character lives and a solution that needs to occur in this society. Overall, I am hoping that the whole book is better than this sample story. I want to see more political aspects in this story. The war and violence are interesting, but the political aspects in ...more
    (っ◔◡◔)っ ♥ Kasey ♥
    **Disclaimer: An excerpt was provided by BookishFirst in exchange for an honest review.**

I haven't read Tochi's other books, Beasts Made of Night and Crown of Thunder, but after reading War Girls, I feel these are a necessity to hold me over until publication.

The letter from the Assistant Editor was a nice, personal touch, as I don't see that a lot with excerpts/first looks/ARCs. I learned more about Tochi and his reasoning for writing War Girls, which helped me become more engaged in the story
    Bailey Clum
    Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
    This book was hard to get, considering I had to play tochi in a game of War to win the arc, which was fun but STRESSFUL! Bookcon was a whole different world to say the least! Anywho, I read the book a few days ago and I loved it! I love the two sisters and their quest for a better world. I have two sisters myself and honestly I don’t think they would stick with me to fight! I loved the bond, the world, the different aspects that come into ply in this new hostile environment! I loved it! I can’t ...more
    Kerri
    Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I received this book as a Goodreads Giveaway. Woo, this was a hard book to read and took me a while to get through because of that, but not in a bad way. There is just so much to unpack in this story and it was so emotionally draining that I had to take a break every 3-5 chapters, which extended the amount of time I needed to finish it. It is an important story and the writing is fantastic. My only real critique is that it lost some momentum a little past the halfway point and took a little whil ...more
    Tochi Onyebuchi is a writer based in Connecticut. He holds a MFA in Screenwriting from Tisch and a J.D. from Columbia Law School. His writing has appeared in Asimov’s and Ideomancer, among other places. Beasts Made of Night is his debut.

War Girls (2 books)
    • Untitled (War Girls #2)