Start by marking “War Girls (War Girls, #1)” as Want to Read:
War Girls (War Girls, #1)

War Girls

(War Girls #1)

Two sisters are torn apart by war and must fight their way back to each other in a futuristic, Black Panther–inspired Nigeria.

The year is 2172. Climate change and nuclear disasters have rendered much of earth unlivable. Only the lucky ones have escaped to space colonies in the sky.

In a war-torn Nigeria, battles are fought using flying, deadly mechs and soldiers are
Published October 15th 2019 by Razorbill

Start your review of War Girls (War Girls, #1)
Julie
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m ashamed to admit that I went into reading WAR GIRLS knowing almost nothing about the Nigerian Civil War that ravaged the country in the late 1960s, following a declaration of secession and resulting in the displacement and death by famine of countless millions.

I held my breath through much of this book. It’s the story of two sisters, Onyii and Ify, who find each other on opposite sides of a devastating war, and explores the way violence ripples through lives, particularly those of children —
♠ TABI ♠
Mar 23, 2019 marked it as to-read
*clutches book to chest and strokes the cover lovingly whilst crooning under my breath all the love songs I can think of*
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

The Buzz

I read Tochi Onyebuchi's debut Beasts Made of Night and thought his African focused story was something the book community needed. So when I saw he decided to make the plunge into a sci-fi dystopia type of African story I knew I needed to check it out!!

And the cover totally does it justice... its gorgeous!! I'm not a fan of live faces on covers but it totally works for this (even though they could have taken it farther and given of
Katie
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It reeeeally bums me out to see people give up on War Girls or rate it poorly because they weren't familiar with the Nigerian Civil War and the history related to Biafra.

Honestly, this reflects poorly on reviewers as a whole, given that the vast majority of GR reviewers (and reviewers with this particular complaint) are white and Western. We need to do better.

If you find yourself confused or disinterested simply because you're not familiar with the Nigeria/Biafra conflict, before you DNF, try:

Erin
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Received through Bookish. com

I was so excited to read War Girls. I thought War Girls was going to be a fun, action packed story about two Black girls kicking ass.

What I got was a boring repetitive story that meandered and never really accomplished anything.

2 stars because the first 100 pages were great but the book just fell apart after that.

No rec.
✨Brithanie Faith✨
3.5/5 stars .5

ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Set in a futuristic, Black Panther inspired Nigeria, War Girls by Tochi Onyebuchi is the story of two sisters, Onyii and Ify, who- despite being torn apart by war, dream of peace and a future where they can be together, and they're willing to do just about anything to make that happen!

This novel wastes no time jumping straight into the action! When it comes to the first book in a series I'm usually not the biggest fan
Monica **can't read fast enough**
With strongly developed female characters, world building that is readily imaginable, and a plot that keeps the reader engaged War Girls is a tale that I would have loved to have read as a teen.

***I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.***

Where you can find me:
•().•*Monlatable Book Reviews*•.()•
Twitter: @monicaisreading
Instagram: @readermonica
Goodreads Group: The Black Bookcase
MeaganCM
Mar 23, 2019 marked it as diversity-and-lgbtq-tbr
LOOK AT THIS GORGEOUS COVER! This is going to be fucking amazing!
Adah Udechukwu
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
War Girls is s five star novel. It has a great plot, great theme, great everything. The novel was awesome and action-packed. I feel there should not be a book 2. The novel shouldnt have been a series. I liked how it ended.
Sophie
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-books, arc
Thank you to the publishers for providing a free copy of this book!

3.5 stars.

I enjoyed this book, it’s like a futuristic version of Black Panther inspired by the Nigerian civil war. Reading the author’s note at the end made me feel truly touched by his intentions, and I think that a lot of the metaphors (about how the children basically become machines used to kill, much like how child soldiers were forced to fight in real life) worked out well, and of course the struggle with loved ones being
The Artisan Geek
Mar 29, 2019 marked it as to-read
29/3/19
A scifi in Nigeria?? About two sisters and their bond?! WHAT?! My heart has dropped! This is freaking awesome, maybe I am biased because I'm Nigerian, but damn! I love how there is so much more diversity coming out in the literary world the past few years. The young girl inside of me that dreamed of reading stuff like is squealing!

You can find me on
Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Website
Toya
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
It took every fiber in my being not to yell ‘Wakanda Forever’ while reading this book. When a book is toted a Black Panther inspired Nigeria, I just can’t help myself. Black Panther is one of my all-time favorite movies.

War Girls has a futuristic setting with the inspiration for the plot is being pulled from the savage civil war that was waged in Nigeria during the 1960s. That being said, you don’t need to be well versed or even have prior knowledge of this war to appreciate this beautifully
Amber (The Book Bratz)
The full review + more can be found at The Book Bratz

I received an ARC of WAR GIRLS are BookExpo 2019!

I met Tochi ass BookExpo this year and though I wasn't familiar with his previous works he was incredibly fun to talk to and was down to earth. He was also super excited to talk with everyone who was on his signing line and made sure that everyone was able to have their moment to talk to him. I didn't know about War Girls until the cover reveal and ever since then I KNEW that I just had to
The Captain
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
Ahoy there me mateys! With an awesome cover and cool premise, I thought for sure that I would love this one. Instead it was very uneven.

The story is a dystopian sci-fi drawn from the Nigerian and Biafra civil war of the 1960s. It takes place in 2172 after the planet has been decimated from climate change. The lucky ones have made it to space but the rest are back on Earth, struggling to survive. At first the two main characters, Onyii and Ify live in a hidden camp of girls in Biafra. Ify's
Anja H.
Jul 19, 2019 marked it as to-read
"Black Panther–inspired Nigeria."
...
...
*adds to list*
Mandi1082
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Beautiful cover but this book wasnt for me. I loved the beginning of the book. I liked the idea of the book. Set in the future there is a war going on in this country. I liked the female cast of soldiers and the fighting. But there came a part of the book where I just got to confused with what was going on and eventually lost interest. I was really disappointed. Wanted to love it.
USOM
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
War Girls is one of those books which builds up with an intensity. From the beginning I was hooked, but as I kept turning the pages, I fell more and more in love with the story and the characters. War Girls is a story about the consequences of war and the road to peace. War Girls is, unsurprisingly, a story about war. The children who look up to the sky and see the shadows of drones. Built on the historical conflict of the Nigerian Civil War, War Girls is a powerful book that refuses to let us ...more
Tilly
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was ok

I wanted to love this book. Strong african women and sci fi?! It's on to a winner! But sadly War Girls fell short in execution for me.

Things I liked:
- I love fictional stories that bring attention to real life situations and War Girls certainly does that. The book is based in war torn Nigeria based on the Nigerian Civil War which began in 1967.
- Strong women of colour. YA fantasy doesn't have enough African characters and so having the leads to be 2 strong and very sufficient women was
Madison
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
With heartbreaking reflection of the Nigerian Civil War but with a high-tech futurist twist, War Girls is a homage to sisterhood and family forged by the bonds of loss in a detailed sci-fi war novel.

Onyii and Ify are sisters, living in hiding in a secret camp for girls. Both their lives have been touched by the violence of the war in Nigeria. Climate change, nuclear destruction, famine and political unrest have left the country war-torn by battles led by drones, droids and augmented soldiers
Angela Staudt
Sep 15, 2019 rated it liked it
I received an ARC from BookishFirst in exchange for an honest review.

War Girls follows Onyii and Ify two sisters in a war torn world. The book takes place in 2172 where there was a nuclear war. I honestly had such high hopes for this book, especially because the cover is so beautiful and looks promising.

I didn’t like this book as much as I had hoped. I love anything and everything fantasy, and I was very excited to read about a futuristic world that has been through so much. I honestly had so
Katie
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Before beginning my review I just want to thank Dark Room Tours, Penguin Teen and Tochi Onyebuchi for allowing me to be part of the blog tour for this gorgeous book. I am so grateful for the opportunity.

I was so excited to receive this book and dive in. I read War Girls in its entirety on the plane to and from Barcelona (2 hours each way from the UK). I could not wait to dive in. My perception of strong warrior girls in a sci-fi like world just really called out to me as being original and so
Amber
Disclaimer: I received this book for free from BookCon 2019 and Razorbill in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

At the beginning, I was absolutely enthralled with War Girls. The first hundred pages hooked me. The characters were interesting and the world building was fascinating. A lot of science fiction coming out these days feels copy/pasted. The language and setting feel the same – that’s not the case with War Girls.

The
Stewart Tame
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
For what the information is worth, I won a free ARC of this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

As you’d surmise from the title, we have war and we have girls. The setting is Africa--specifically a war between Biafra and Nigeria. The year is 2172. Our two main viewpoint characters are Iffy and Onyii. The back cover calls them sisters, but their relationship is almost more mother-daughter. Onyii is fiercely protective of the younger Iffy. A surprise Nigerian attack on their camp leads to their
Renee (The B-Roll)
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Honestly, what more could you want from a modern science fiction/fantasy story? This book is packed with people of color being bold and powerful and it is so refreshing to read. The main characters are sisters, Onyii and Ify, and happen to find themselves on opposite sides of an ugly war. What I loved about this book is that while it isn't set in the current day, it still teaches so much about civil wars in Africa, specifically Nigeria. Those aspects of history are often not taught in most ...more
Cristine (cristinethebookqueen) Paquette
Decided to quit at 30%

The combination of Inexplicable time jumps and not personally having prior knowledge of the Nigerian civil war made this one boring and uninteresting to me.
Joey De La Torre
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Reading it backwards made it better.

If you just want to read my review, then scroll down . But I’m going to go off on a small tangent here first, because I feel like I should explain myself:

So as previously mentioned, I read this book backwards (literally). I started at the end and read each chapter in reverse order (don’t judge me, I had my reasons). Admittedly, this was an experiment. Partially because I was just curious. Primarily because of the way I read, I often find myself rereading
Saloni
Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to Penguin Random House Books for providing me a copy of this book at BEA 2019 and thank you to Tochi Onyebuchi for signing my copy!

I love what this book stands for. Generally, I think science fiction featuring people of color is something we need more of. I love the plot and story of this book, seeing the sisters Onyii and Ify be separated by warring countries and attempt to reconfigure the biases told by their native countries about the opposing one.

However, I will admit that there
Lois Young
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I haven’t read a historical fiction novel about a war this good since I had to read “All Quiet on the Western Front” in high school. Review coming soon.

War is a terrible thing, and yet we cannot stop ourselves from having them. "War Girls" is a story that starts at a refugee camp for female soldiers. Two sisters—Onyii and Ify—are surviving with the limited resources they have while remaining hidden from the two war fronts. Unfortunately, they are discovered and are separated. For four years,
yorkshirebooknerd
War Girls is set in a “futuristic Black Panther-inspired Nigeria” where climate change and nuclear disaster have left the land inhabitable and the country at war. I definitely felt the Black Panther vibes when reading this book. Packed full of technology and gadgets, this is a sci-fi lovers dream. Some of the technological language is a little mind-boggling, however it does help create a futuristic world where nanotechnology and augmented limbs are the norm and deadly mechs take to the skies to ...more
Rachel Louise
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
*may contain spoilers*

I didn't hate this book but I also didn't love it. It was generally easy to read but when I put it down I never felt that urge to pick it back up and continue reading which lead to a less than satisfying experience.

In War Girls, there's war, politics, religion, betrayals and family, but even when in the middle of an action scene I didn't feel the danger, I didn't feel engaged with the story. I didn't find the writing engaging either, there were just too many short sentences
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • The Good Luck Girls (The Good Luck Girls, #1)
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • A Throne of Swans (A Throne of Swans, #1)
  • Escaping Exodus
  • Slay
  • The Light at the Bottom of the World (Light the Abyss, #1)
  • You’re Not Listening: What You’re Missing and Why It Matters
  • Song of the Crimson Flower
  • Kingdom of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #1)
  • The Fowl Twins (The Fowl Twins, #1)
  • The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)
  • Who Put This Song On?
  • The Stars and the Blackness Between Them
  • Full Disclosure
  • Pet
  • Girls of Storm and Shadow (Girls of Paper and Fire, #2)
  • The Deep
Tochi Onyebuchi is the author of Beasts Made of Night, its sequel Crown of Thunder, War Girls, and the upcoming Riot Baby, forthcoming from Tor.com in January 2020. He has graduated from Yale University, New York University’s Tisch School of the Arts, Columbia Law School, and L’institut d’études politiques with a Masters degree in Global Business Law.

His short fiction has appeared in Asimov's

War Girls (2 books)
  • Untitled (War Girls #2)