Start by marking “Never Tell (Detective D.D. Warren #10)” as Want to Read:
Never Tell (Detective D.D. Warren #10)

Never Tell

(Detective D.D. Warren #10)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  20,347 ratings  ·  1,910 reviews
#1 New York Times bestseller Lisa Gardner returns with an unpredictable thriller that puts fan favorites D. D. Warren and Flora Dane on a shocking new case that begins with a vicious murder and gets darker from there.

A man is dead, shot three times in his home office. But his computer has been shot twelve times, and when the cops arrive, his pregnant wife is holding the gu
Published February 19th 2019 by Dutton Books

To ask other readers questions about Never Tell, please sign up.
DeAnn Can be stand-alone, but I would recommend going back to #8 -- "Find Her" to get the full story on Flora Dane. #9 "Look for Me" also has Flora.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Phil
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  20,347 ratings  ·  1,910 reviews

Start your review of Never Tell (Detective D.D. Warren #10)
Maureen
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
**4.5** stars

Three protagonists - Sergeant DD Warren of the Boston Police Department, her Confidential Informant Flora Dane, and pregnant mum to be, Evie Carter. Evie is discovered by the cops holding a shotgun in her husband’s home office - her husband lies dead, his life ended by three shots - but what’s even more bizarre, his computer has been shot 12 times!

This isn’t the first time that Evie has been found in a very similar situation - 16 years earlier as a teenager, she was found holding a
Paromjit
Lisa Gardner confirms her position as the Queen of Thrillers with this latest stellar addition to the Sergeant DD Warren of Boston PD series, featuring the return of Flora Dane. Flora is a survivor, a vigilante, but suffering from PTSD after her harrowing experiences with the evil Jacob Ness, and no matter how hard she tries, the head space he continues to occupy ensures she is trapped and imprisoned by the past, despite Ness's death. Conrad Carter, a travelling window salesman has been shot 3 t ...more
Norma
Captivating, edgy & wholly satisfying!

LISA GARDNER has done it again with her latest installment to the Detective D.D. Warren series with Book # 10. This is one author I can always count on that never disappoints and always delivers such fantastic thrillers that are gripping, action-packed and packed full of nail-biting suspense. I am a huge fan and have read all of her novels to date.

NEVER TELL by LISA GARDNER (Detective D.D. Warren #10) is a dark, suspenseful, emotional and intense thriller wi
Nilufer Ozmekik
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Five cannot put it down, is glued to my hand and possessed my mind stars!!!
I’m embarrassed to admit that is my second book on these series and I didn’t enjoy much the previous book. But this one is absolutely fantastic, twisted, perfectly developed book about three amazon protagonists.
One of them is brilliant, smart, badass police officer, D.D. Warren who tries to lock the other one, Evie,modest, introverted, antisocial math teacher but secret genius, person of interest to kill her husband but
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
D.D. Warren is back with Flora Dane in another nail-biting installment that had me on the edge of my seat, turning the pages as fast as I could. I love D.D. Warren and she has been a favorite character of mine right from the very first installment with Alone.

When D.D. Warren arrives at her new case she sees a woman from a case from the past and then soon realizes the victim has ties to Flora’s kidnapper. Secrets start to unravel and through the well written layers, we start to piece together th
Diane S ☔
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lor-2019
Another incredible outing by Gardner, another interesting case for D. D. Warren. Plus, the very scarred Flora is back, now looking for answers from her time held captive. Two deaths, sixteen years apart, the common denominator a young pregnant woman. All three will connect in a very unusual way.

Such a good series, and some terrific characters added to keep the series fresh. This is a tangled weave of a case, one that proves dangerous for a few of the characters. Suspenseful, I couldn't figure ou
Phrynne
Aug 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-2020
Fabulous! One of those great books which is unputdownable. And if you do have to put it down you cannot wait to pick it up again.

I must admit when Flora Dane was first introduced in this series I did not like her much but she has certainly grown on me. I really enjoyed the tough but damaged person she brought to the plot and I was pleased that she met someone who may be important to her in the future.

D.D.Warren is in a good place and I loved the scenes with her boy and his dog. She brought lots
Susanne  Strong
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-read, favorites
4.35 Stars* (rounded down)

An Emotional, Heart-Pounding Thriller!!

Three women who are tied together in ways they never imagined.

D.D. Warren and her current murder suspect, Evie Carter. They met once before - when Evie was accused of murdering her father sixteen years ago and whose his death was ruled an accident. Now she is accused of murdering her husband, Conrad. Coincidence?

D.D. Warren and Flora Dane, her confidential informant. D.D. calls Flora in, to help her investigate the murder of Conr
Carolyn
I love D.D. Warren - she's such a good cop and it's great to see her happily married to Alex with a delightful little boy. DD is now the Supervisor of a team of detectives but old habits die hard and she still can't help getting out in the field to see things for herself. Especially in her latest case where the woman accused of murdering her husband was also accused of killing her father in one of DD's earliest cases as a detective. The woman, Evie Carter was found by police holding a gun next t ...more
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

D.D. gave the childless detective a look. “If pregnancy hormones led to homicide, there wouldn’t be a husband left alive.”

You know, anyone will hang with the lit department, but tell someone you teach math or science, and it’s like you’re personally reminding them of every test they ever failed.

In movies, everyone loves the kickass heroine. I’m less convinced the average man wants one in real life.

I do not shoot my exes. Frankly, I couldn’t afford that many bullets.

My father was
Maria
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All these badass women!! I love this series. And I'm so happy for Flora!
Barbara

In this 10th book in the 'Detective D.D. Warren' series, the investigator looks into the death of a traveling salesman. The book can be read as a standalone.

*****

In this mystery, Sergeant Detective D.D. Warren of the Boston Police Department has two deaths on her mind, both linked to the same woman. A 32-year-old pregnant high school teacher named Evie Carter has been arrested for killing her husband Conrad Carter, who was shot three times. Evie claims she came home and found Conrad dead, then
Lisa
A nail-biting phycological thriller full of staggering lies, secrets and deceptions.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️

SUMMARY
Conrad Carter is dead, he was shot three times in his home office. His computer had been shot twelve times. When the cops arrive, his pregnant wife, Evie, is holding the gun. D.D. Warren arrives on the scene and recognizes Evie from a case sixteen years earlier. Evie’s father had been killed in a shooting that was ruled an accident. But for D.D., the coincidence of two murders in Evie’s family
Mackey
It's #10 in a series and definitely not a stand-alone. It was good, solid writing and some closure for a some characters, but it wasn't the usual quality that I expect from Gardner. There were places that it felt a little flat.
Brenda
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a fan who’s read all the prior books in the series, and because of the quality writing from Lisa Gardner, I feel I know D. D. Warren very well. There’s a lot of history between us.

Flora Dane was first introduced in Find Her (2017) and appeared again in Look For Me (2018). I know Flora’s history, and I feel I know her character. I acknowledge her toughness, her intelligence, and her desperation. I think I can understand her vigilantism. I also feel she is a great character, and this book bring
Lou
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never Tell is the tenth book in the Boston based Sergeant D.D. Warren series from the Queen of Thrillers, and what a cracking read it is. It's easy to pick up and oh so difficult to put down. It had me turning the pages feverishly in excitement, and there were all the elements necessary to keep you completely riveted. I've read every one of Gardner's books, and this is her most accomplished to date.

There are many aspects that set this book apart from the rest, but the one I loved the most was t
Elizabeth
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tl;dr: Never Tell is an outstanding suspense/thriller that starts off fast and then goes even faster all the way to the end *and* while featuring not one, not two, but three fascinating female leads.

I've been reading Lisa Gardner for ages, so I jumped at the chance to read an ARC of Never Tell. Fans of D. D. Warren and Gardner's newest, and imo, fascinating share-the-lead character, Flora Dane, are in for a fast-paced, satisfying read.

One of the things I like best about Ms. Gardner's writing is
Linda Strong
It starts with a man found shot to death in his home. When the cops arrive, they find his wife holding the gun that killed him. In a bizarre twist of fate, Warren knows the wife. She accidentally killed her father 16 years earlier ... shooting him with his rifle.

Flora Dane sees the murder reported on the news and immediately knows who he is ..or was. She remembers the night she met him ... she was still a hostage taken by a human monster and held for over a year. Her captor knew this man. And no
Mark
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

## A new author to me but a quick look on Amazon showed a prolific writer and this is book 10 in the Detective D D Warren series, although book 9 and this book are not published as books 9 and 10, maybe the thinking is that having book 9/10 on a cover for some readers ( inc me has to be said ) would be maybe too much of a back story to get to grips with ( I may be totally on the wrong track there!! ) however it has to be said that this is a book in its own right and even though its Book 10 there
Tim
May 12, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
While my friend, Kathleen enjoyed this, I had a different take. Perhaps it helps to be a devoted follower of Ms. Gardner, but issues enjoyed by my friend tended to grind on me. 2 of 10 stars
Jim
D.D. Warren is now a supervisory Sergeant. She is supposed to supervise the other detectives in the homicide squad but anyone who has met D.D. in earlier books knows that she is not satisfied with just supervising. She has no problem issuing orders but she is not going sit behind a desk and read reports. When she hears about the case where a wife is suspected of having shot her husband in their home she recognizes the wife. Sixteen years ago Evie Carter's father died in a shooting. It was ruled ...more
Hollis
I'll be the first to admit that while it was Gardner, and her three cross-over series, that kicked off my renewed fascination with the thriller/mystery/detective genre back in 2016, the last few installments of this main series (correction, sorry, it's been one book and one novella) just haven't wowed me. For various reasons. But NEVER TELL? Hi hello, we're back again.

This story slots in under the main Detective D.D. Warren series but, like most of Gardner's books, there's crossover. Recently, s
♥Rachel♥
4.5 Stars

D.D. is called into a murder investigation, when they find out the suspect, Evie Carter was investigated sixteen years earlier for the shooting death of her father, ultimately ruled as accidental. D.D. was on the case back then, but now that Evie is suspected in the shooting death of her husband, Conrad Carter, D.D. wonders if they were wrong about the first case. Was the death of Evie’s father really an accident?

Flora Dane becomes a key figure in the investigation when she realizes she
Brenda
Evie Carter was shocked to her core at what she encountered on her arrival home from work. But it was what she did immediately afterwards that had the police arresting her and putting her in jail. Even her pregnancy wasn’t enough to keep Evie out of a cell.

Detective D.D. Warren arrived at the scene, recognized Evie and knew this one would be a puzzle. She decided, as well as her murder squad, she needed the help of her CI – Flora Dane. Flora was still recovering from her own traumatic past, but
L.A. Starks
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lisa Gardner writes an exciting, emotional mystery from the viewpoint of three female characters as they all investigate, and resolve, two killings and a kidnapping that involve two of them. I can't praise enough how engaging and thoughtfully non-traditional Gardner has made these characters. Of course, as the story unspools, it's clear no one is, or was, exactly as he or she seemed.

The only knock, and it is minor, is the stereotypical character of the Southern bad guy. When will we see a myste
Emma
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Switching between D.D., Flora, and new character, Evie, this is a cracking thriller that had me up well past midnight. Even though the whodunnit is not that surprising, it's set up so well that you have a blast regardless. The team is becoming quite the effective dysfunctional family and I'm here for it.

ARC via Netgalley
Juli
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
16 years ago Detective D.D. Warren worked a murder case. A teenage girl arrested for shooting her father. Now, the same woman is a suspect in the shooting death of her husband. What happened? Did Evie Carter shoot her husband? Did she kill her father? Could she possibly get away with murder twice? And why does a former kidnapping victim recognize Evie's husband?

Oh my gosh...this is the most twisted story I've read in a long time! I couldn't put it down! Every time I thought I had it figured out,
Chloe
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: part-of-series
16 years ago Detective D.D. Warren arrested a teenage girl Evie for shooting her father. Now years later Evie is again the main suspect in the death of her husband. Meanwhile Flora who works as an advocate for sexual victim survivors recognizes Evie’s husband as someone she met when she held captive by Jacob Ness. Along with her friend Quincy D.D Warren tries to unravel the tangle of secrets and lies where nothing is as it seems.

Never Tell is the 10th book in the Sergeant D.D. Warren series by L
Laura/Mystery in Minutes
Lisa Gardner has done it again! Never Tell is an absorbing, twisty, one-sitting, page-turner of a read with dialogue that snaps and crackles, and a plot line that accelerates to a roaring, action-packed climax!

I am one of those rare, crime fiction fans who have read only a few of prolific, American novelist Lisa Gardner’s books. Never Tell is my favorite so far, absolutely! From the first page to the last, I was completely gripped and engaged!

Visit Mystery in Minutes to read the complete review
Jean
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never Tell ....what? Never tell what you think happened to your father sixteen years ago? Never tell your wife why you keep your home office locked? Never tell what happened to you when you were kidnapped and held captive for 472 days? Lisa Gardner continues her wonderful D.D. Warren series with Never Tell , a fast-paced, hard-to-put-down thriller that once again features Boston detective Warren and guest stars her confidential informant, Flora Dane. If you don’t know Flora’s story, I highly ...more
Forsyth County Pu...: November 2019 - Never Tell 2 11 Dec 04, 2019 08:52AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add details 3 20 Jun 11, 2019 06:16PM

• Someone Knows
  • The Last Widow (Will Trent, #9)
  • Run Away
  • The Silent Wife (Will Trent, #10)
  • Paranoid
  • Willing to Die (To Die, #8)
  • The Wedding Guest (Alex Delaware, #34)
  • The Boy (Broussard and Fourcade, #2)
  • Someone We Know
  • The Boy from the Woods
  • The Other Mrs.
  • The Better Sister
  • The 18th Abduction (Women's Murder Club, #18)
  • The Fifth Doctrine (The Guardian, #3)
  • The Family Upstairs
  • The Friends We Keep
  • Target: Alex Cross (Alex Cross, #26)
  • Say You're Sorry (Romantic Suspense, #22; Sacramento, #1)
Lisa Gardner is a #1 New York Times bestselling crime novelist. A self-described research junkie, she has parlayed her interest in police procedure and twisted minds into a streak of twenty-plus thrillers. Her latest, BEFORE SHE DISAPPEARED, is available January 19, 2021.

Meet Frankie Elkin, an everyday, average person who specializes in finding missing people. When the locals have given up, when t

Detective D.D. Warren (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Alone (Detective D.D. Warren, #1)
  • Hide (Detective D.D. Warren, #2)
  • The Neighbor (Detective D.D. Warren, #3)
  • Live to Tell (Detective D.D. Warren, #4)
  • Love You More (Tessa Leoni, #1; Detective D.D. Warren, #5)
  • Catch Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #6)
  • Fear Nothing (Detective D.D. Warren, #7)
  • Find Her (Detective D.D. Warren, #8)
  • Look For Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #9)
  • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)

Articles featuring this book

A new year means new thrills and chills for mystery and thriller lovers. And in 2019 there are plenty of exciting new releases to keep...
“And part of brilliance isn’t just solving a problem; it’s seeing a problem no one else realizes is a problem yet.” 3 likes
“You don’t become a teacher without having some level of optimism. And you don’t stay in the field if you don’t believe that everyone, from bitter teens to burnt-out administrators, can change. I” 2 likes