Start by marking “It Began With a Lie (Secrets of Redemption #1)” as Want to Read:
It Began With a Lie (Secrets of Redemption #1)

It Began With a Lie

(Secrets of Redemption #1)

WINNER OF A 2018 PARANORMAL ROMANCE GUILD REVIEWERS' CHOICE AWARD

A fresh start. That was what Becca hoped the move from New York to Redemption, Wisconsin would be for her troubled family. A way to get her crumbling marriage back on track, and to bond with her difficult 16-year-old stepdaughter.

But instead of a new beginning, Becca is thrust into a mysterious past she bare
Published September 10th 2018 by Love-Based Publishing

To ask other readers questions about It Began With a Lie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Began With a Lie

DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

Am I okay? I considered the question. I had a knife in my purse. I was afraid my stepdaughter, and maybe myself, were being possessed by ghosts. And I had just been momentarily convinced that a harmless homeless woman would have all the answers.

Was she really a monster? Or was she right— that I didn't know who to trust? After all, my first husband cheated on me, and my second husband was trying to get me committed. Clearly, I wasn't such a great judge of character.

My Review:

I m
Heather
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
It Began With a Lie is a difficult book to pigeonhole, so I stopped trying. While billed as a romance, this book has very little romance in it. It's part paranormal mystery, suspense, women's fiction, crime story, all with a tiny bit of romance mixed in. But despite the mashed genres, it's a good story.

Becca returns to the town of Redemption to make a clean start with her husband and stepdaughter. Her husband's job is in shambles, and so is the house they own, Becca's deceased aunt's home. Add
April
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
It Began with a Lie by Michele Pariza Wacek is a Psychological thriller, romantic suspense, and paranormal Romance. Set in Redemption, Wisconsin. This story involves a woman, Becca, who is forced to move back to her Aunt Charlie's house because of financial circumstances. With a mysterious past, and living in what the locals call  "The Witch House", she encounters an old high school crush, Daniel. Will she be able to get her

crumbling marriage back on track and become closer with her 16 year ol
Jill
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
It Began With a Lie is a psychological thriller with so many different facets. It is not what I would normally read, but I am so happy I decided to give this book a try. As soon as I started this book I didn’t want to put it down. The twists and turns throughout the book kept me fully engaged, wanting to know the outcome. Though many things are solved in the book, there are some things that are left unanswered. And OMG that ending?! I seriously can't wait for the next book! If you are a fan of p ...more
Heather Martin
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It Began with a Lie

**Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion, a review was not a requirement.**

This book was not what I expected, even as I was reading it! About 25% into it, I was annoyed and had wrote a three paragraph review because I was so annoyed with Rebecca but I kept thinking there was something more ahead, and WHOA, there was.

I was annoyed because Rebecca was spineless and weak when it came to her husband and step-daughter. And I just
Brenda
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed

It Began With A Lie is not my usual read but I found it extremely difficult to put down.

This is this author's debut full length novel. There is a novella which was published prior to this book.

Once I got started I wanted to know what would happen next. Were there truly ghosts involved or was the entire thing brought on by bad meds?

Was Chrissy really a bad teenager or was everything she did brought on by bad parenting?

Almost from the start I wanted Becca to leave her jerk of a husband and Daniel
Katherine Yearwood
It Began With a Lie a psychological thriller by Michele PW that you don’t want to miss. Years ago, something bad happened in her Aunt Charlie house that left one teen missing and Rebecca unable to remember that summer night. Now fifteen years later, Rebecca "Becca" is back. With the death of her Aunt Charlie, who left the house to Rebecca. But, Rebecca doesn’t feel comfortable about staying in the house, which is known in the community of Redemption, Wisconsin, as being haunted. But with nowhere ...more
N.D. Jackson
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
It Began With A Lie is a psychological thriller involving a woman, Becca, who is forced to move back to her Aunt Charlie's home due to financial circumstances. The problem is that in this house, something terrible happened. At least she thinks it did, but she can't really say. The problem is that once she's back in the home she hadn't set foot in for a couple decades, she starts having strange feelings and visions she can't explain.

The story itself was okay but because it was written in first pe
Jennifer Pierson
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It Began With a Lie isn't a story that I normally read, as it's a psychological thriller with paranormal undertones, however, I found myself unable to put it down after starting it. I usually try to give a description, but this is one of those stories that it's better giving much of one at all. Basically, Becca has to move from New York to Redemption, Wisconsin, because of financial issues. She moves into her Aunt Charlie's house, and the story takes off from there. There are so many twists & ...more
Jaymi Couch
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was not my usual genre, but it was sure exciting! I don’t like scary, ghostly, haunted storylines because they give me nightmares. I had to put this book down a few times because I was getting creeped out!

Rebecca and her husband Stefan and his daughter Chrissy are going back to Rebecca’s hometown of Redemption to deal with the house that was left to her. Unfortunately 15 years ago something terrible happened in the house and going back is the last thing she want to do.

There was so mu
Obsessive Book Nerd Lauren
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
To start, I want to share that I'm not a fan of scary. I don't watch scary shows or movies. I don't read horror either. While ghost stories used to thrill me, I've gone soft in my older age (I know, early 30's isn't old). But I decided to branch out and read something different. IT BEGAN WITH A LIE was so different and oh so good. There were times when I had to put the Kindle down because I was getting just a little creeped out. Or thought maybe I shouldn't read at night before bed. But I devour ...more
Amy
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic

I couldn't put it down!!! Loved the characters, the setting, the backstory...well all of it!!! Kept you guessing and looking around every corner. It's been quite a while since I read a book that held my interest as much as this one did. I am purchasing the 2nd book right away!!!
Anne Glouner
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, Excellent, Excellent!!

If you like interesting characters, an intriguing plot, and not being able to put "the book down" til you reach the end....well, this one is for you!!!
Barbara Fraley
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this book - finding one's strength, one's voice, while everyone thinks you're crazy. why would anyone think you were crazy? ghosts? memory loss? or something more sinister? this is a definite read!!
Margaret Yelton
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this ebook in a Goodreads giveaway. This was a new author for me, overall the book was very good. Lots of twists and turns and left me guessing until almost the end about the outcome of the book. I would certainly recommend it to others.
Maggie  Killian
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have always been drawn to this genre of writing and this book makes me definitely remember why that it way. Kept me guessing but was also relatable which is a difficult thing to do in my opinion with these books .
Rita
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. The author has a way of making you feel the main characters feelings and pain. I won't forget this book. Her main character is amazing. The story left me feeling sad and shocked. An interesting story for sure!
Kathi Hoops
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow,

Great book can hardly wait for the next one ! Only had part is know 2019 before the third book!
Kathy
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mystery to the end

This story was scary, a little funny but l loved how it kept me guessing till the end. Read this you won't regret it.
Lady Delacour
Clean with
Foul Language.
karin whitehead
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Found this author in a promotional. The writing crisp, clear, and easy to follow. Well developed plot line, and characters i loved. A good mystery. Will be reading more.
Rene' Seals
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“It Begin With A Lie” is the first book in a new series, Secrets of Redemption, by Michele Pariza Wacek (Michele PW). This book had me hooked from the first moment that I read the description. Why? I really can’t answer that because I don’t know. I don’t watch movies, or read books for that matter, with ghosts, scary dolls, ridiculous clowns, or mask wearing men. The whole paranormal thing, even though I live in “Mystic Falls”, is not my thing. I’ve tried and often lose interest because I’m yell ...more
Berenis Chavez
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelly
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found this series when I got a free copy of the prequel novella, “The Secret Diary of Helen Blackstone”.
After reading the novella, I immediately grabbed this book and could NOT put it down. I was up til 1:30am finishing it. (Even though I had to be at work at 7:30am.) I’m starting the next book as soon as I get out of work!!!
This is not the genre of books I typically read, but it sucked me in right from the beginning.
After inheriting her Aunt Charlie’s home, Becca (along with her husband and
Vina
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed ‘It Began with a Lie’ by Michele Pariza Wacek. It read very swiftly, and the pace was kept up till the end. The story has a good-sized dollop of the paranormal, and that makes for deliciously chilly reading. It is the story of a couple, Stefan and Rebecca who return to live in the
house inherited by her from her aunt. Stefan continues to work in the city, and visits once or twice a month. Rebecca tries to develop a friendly relationship with her difficult stepdaughter Chriss
Rose Arbor
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After I bought it, I was disappointed to see it had some supernatural elements to it. Decided to read it anyway and I loved it. It was really a good book that kept me guessing the whole time. The story is complete in itself, but there is an unsolved mystery from the past. It seems that will be settled in the next book. I am just going by the name of the second book, but I will certainly be reading that.
Denise Levendoski
Thank you to Michele Pariza Wacek and Goodreads.com I won this book in a Giveaway.

Fast paced creepy thriller that left me on the edge of my seat, couldn't put it down and stole every second to find out what was happening to this family ! I was disappointed with the reason why at the end, I felt that the way this story was weaved it would have been something else entirely not so cliche. Loved the pace, loved the characters and it was a great read !
Gail
Oct 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
Confusing

I never could figure out what was going on in this book. Nothing made sense. I don't like paranormal and probably never should have read the book. But I 've read other books with ghosts but it nothing as weird as this book. I do not recommend it until you are heavily into it.
Camille
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Didn’t really care for

I did not like the main character. She was an airhead & the story line was far to easy to figure out what was happening. There are 2 more books following this one. I read the readers reviews and evidently her character doesn’t change. Not interested & I’d advise not to waste your time.
Amy Spann
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read!

This book was hard to put down! I would get upset with the main character doubting herself, but I guess it was hard for her to trust herself. The way the plot was set up was so gripping, it had me entranced til the end. I can’t wait to find out what happened to Jessica! The ending was satisfactory.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Harlot
  • Reginald Bones 3 (Reginald Bones #3)
  • Speak of the Devil
  • If I Want You
  • The Penance List (David Trilogy, #1)
  • Like a Fly on the Wall
  • MInE
  • The Longest Silence (Shades of Death #4)
  • Save Me
  • The Window Trail (A Big Bend Country Mystery #1)
  • The Sinister Silhouette
  • The Spite Game
  • A Very Bumpy Love
  • The Ancient Nine
  • The Doll Funeral
  • Murder Wears a Little Black Dress (Resale Boutique Mystery #1)
  • Perfect Girls (Detective Rachel Prince #3)
  • The Boy at the Keyhole

Secrets of Redemption (2 books)
  • This Happened to Jessica (Secrets of Redemption #2)